Satanic video games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.youtube.com/user/tamtampamela#p/u/2/r0UUbANG2r8

How would you put forward a logical, well founded, defense of computer/video games, to someone like this?

I wouldn't.

I would laugh, wave, and walk away from the deluded idiot claiming such things. Not to say that the belief is deluded, but the belief used in this fashion is certainly clear in stating that individual is beyond rational discourse in the topic presented.

To be specific, it's more "How would I defend WoW against claims of being satanic?"

It seems like she's using the same fallacies we see in Harry Potter criticisms (There is no good and evil, only power= Harry Potter is advocating going mad with power!) I'm not familiar with Warcraft, but it seemed like the pictures she had were both bosses.. as in, you'd be killing demons. Granted, there are Warlocks.. I suppose you could say that because Warcraft takes place in a world with no devil or Christian God, it's impossible for it to be Satanic. That'd probably just set her off though.

Honestly, people that zealous are almost always too much trouble to talk to. You could start by challenging her to show you where you can learn real life magic in Warcraft though.

I thought it was pretty obvious it's not real (it's not BTW), but I guess it isn't that much more ridiculous than any genuine zealots.

Cakes:
I thought it was pretty obvious it's not real (it's not BTW), but I guess it isn't that much more ridiculous than any genuine zealots.

That's pretty much it, right there. Most people have a healthy understanding of the difference between fantasy and reality. If you are a religious person and have the understanding that WoW is pure fantasy and whatever your religion believes is reality, there should really be no danger to your faith from playing the game. Many Christian denominations warn against D&D, but I play it over Skype with friends every week, and there's no lack of faith here because I know there's nothing real about D&D; it's all stories pulled straight from the players' heads. One priest I know back in the US is even a huge Star Wars geek. You don't find him suddenly converting to the Jedi religion over it.

Though while I know the games themselves are not dangerous to faith, I do have some issues with the culture that has built up surrounding games and its issues with faith. I think that's what a lot of these religious people railing against games are really trying to address, but they have a hard time separating the attitudes about religion a lot of gamers have from the games themselves. I spelled out some of my own concerns in a thread I made a while ago, so if anybody wants to continue that discussion, you can always necro that thread.

You can't argue with someone like that. Their head is stuck so far up their zealous ass that no argument can get through. To these people, anything that isn't actively glorifying their chosen deity is automatically evil. There is no such thing as pure fantasy, since even thinking about "forces of darkness" is enough for a particular nemesis to worm their way into your mind and take your soul.

Really, these people should just be left alone, or perhaps gently herded onto their own little reservations where they can be as exclusive and isolated from the rest of the world as they want to be.

Poe or not, for her other videos I would have to work very hard to restrain myself from giving her a bit of a slap. Someone crowing over the death of thousands is just a psychopath.

Her views on video games? Poe or not, she is an irrelevant child and I would not waste a breath on her. Literally, one breath would be a waste.

"You can't reason someone out of a belief they didn't reason their way into."

I hate these kinds of people. What do they do for fun? Just because the Bible did not feel the need to describe Christ's hobbies for the sake of space dose not mean that you can't have fun.

I didn't watch the video (can't on my phone), the guy said WoW is satanic?

If he did, that's just plain retarded.

It says the account was closed. Guess I was too late. Can you give us a quick summary of what the guy was saying so we can respond to it?

Tamtampamela is a troll, she's admitted to being a troll and making video spouting crap that she doesn't personally believe in, her account has been closed, and by bringing this up you've just spreaded it around.
Remember, don't feed the trolls.

Valksy:
Poe or not, for her other videos I would have to work very hard to restrain myself from giving her a bit of a slap. Someone crowing over the death of thousands is just a psychopath.

Her views on video games? Poe or not, she is an irrelevant child and I would not waste a breath on her. Literally, one breath would be a waste.

Well, her account was closed down sometime yesterday. I know 4Chan got their hands on the video about Japan, and they weren't too happy about it. They had all of her and her family member's contact information too. I'm guessing she closed down the account in order to try and save herself from further trolling.

She'll still be receiving 3am pizza for awhile though because, well, 4Chan is 4Chan.

Trolling is no excuse. It does seem that she is a fake, but what she did is reprehensible and I hope she has a shitty few weeks for it. Is it satire? is it Poe? Maybe. But if I knew her, I would land a bitch slap across her smug fucking face for it.

Skeleon:
It says the account was closed. Guess I was too late. Can you give us a quick summary of what the guy was saying so we can respond to it?

Some crazy chick was saying how evil WoW is and that it has satanic things in it like demons and black magic. And she found out about it cuz some people were talking about it and she thought they were a real witchcraft group.

And how everyone should stay away from it.

Huh, can't see the video. The account has been closed.

On a related note, does anyone know of any satanic games?

I mean in the sense of things like Hellgate London and Devil May Cry. I quite enjoyed those, and would like to know what else is on the market. Yeah, I could Google and hunt around for hours, but the thread seems a little dead now so....hijack ahoy!

Oh religion, why must you provide such excellent source material for trolling?

She could've at least have the good graces to go berserk on a truly controversial game - if less for the Satanism - like Bible Black or something.

I would quietly go back to drinking and bathing in my delicious goat's blood.

EDIT: Er... not my blood, as in, from my body. But it's my goat's blood in that I sacrificed it so I get to keep it.

Imperator_DK:
Oh religion, why must you provide such excellent source material for trolling?

She could've at least have the good graces to go berserk on a truly controversial game - if less for the Satanism - like Bible Black or something.

Bible Black?

you mean, evil aryan devil penis?
or is there a game by this name with a different theme?

I'm Mormon, I find Disgaea and Devil may cry quite enjoyable, and I play Warhammer as the Dark Elves.

Since the Youtube account was shutdown I can't comment on it directly, but generally you can have nuts on both ends of the religious spectrum, and zealots scare everyone not just the none believes.

Marik2:
Some crazy chick was saying how evil WoW is and that it has satanic things in it like demons and black magic. And she found out about it cuz some people were talking about it and she thought they were a real witchcraft group.

And how everyone should stay away from it.

Feh. That's the type of person who also thinks Harry Potter is evil because while it mostly talks about friendship and fighting evil, it also has magic and wands in it.

I'll tell you a secret. I'll tell you why Christians don't like works of fiction that have demons, ghosts, magic, zombies, rituals involving the dead, or witches in them.

CannibalRobots:

Bible Black?

you mean, evil aryan devil penis?
or is there a game by this name with a different theme?

I actually wouldn't know specifically, though going by the box art it wouldn't surprise me if that was exactly what it was all about. The entry on it doesn't mention anything Aryan, but there sure seem to be a lot of disturbing demonic sex stuff to it.

Saw it described as a comedy once, though it probably takes a certain kind of humour to enjoy then, and I'm not going to spend 40 $ finding out anyway.

The_AC:
I'll tell you a secret. I'll tell you why Christians don't like works of fiction that have demons, ghosts, magic, zombies, rituals involving the dead, or witches in them.

Or maybe these particular Christians think that other fiction is actually real competition for their faith?

the video is down but since I can gather it's about some girl claiming WoW is satanic I think I remember the video.

She's an (or was) admitted troll.

Superbeast:

I mean in the sense of things like Hellgate London and Devil May Cry. I quite enjoyed those, and would like to know what else is on the market. Yeah, I could Google and hunt around for hours, but the thread seems a little dead now so....hijack ahoy!

Diablo, definitely. The short version is that you go to a town where Satan has possessed the King and is fucking things up, so you track him down to Hell and kill him to death.

The long version is a fantasy RPG from the people who make the best fantasy RPGs in existence. I liked Diablo II more, so you should check that out too.

As for this woman, I couldn't see the video but I get the gist. I know her sort. She'll be harmless until she realises that there are others like her and bands up into some kind of witch hunt.

seiler88:
the Bible did not feel the need to describe Christ's hobbies for the sake of space

Sure it did, he went to parties and turned water into booze. Jesus was a party animal, who I am to question Jesus? *downs another whiskey*

Cheesus333:

Superbeast:

Diablo, definitely. The short version is that you go to a town where Satan has possessed the King and is fucking things up, so you track him down to Hell and kill him to death.

The long version is a fantasy RPG from the people who make the best fantasy RPGs in existence. I liked Diablo II more, so you should check that out too.

As for this woman, I couldn't see the video but I get the gist. I know her sort. She'll be harmless until she realises that there are others like her and bands up into some kind of witch hunt.

I always wonder about that line of thinking, though: Diablo, Hellgate London, those sorts of games feature demons and satanic imagery, but you fight them. So why would those games be discouraged? Hell, encourage them, turn people into demon hunters, eh?

Skeleon:

Cheesus333:

Superbeast:

I always wonder about that line of thinking, though: Diablo, Hellgate London, those sorts of games feature demons and satanic imagery, but you fight them. So why would those games be discouraged? Hell, encourage them, turn people into demon hunters, eh?

What about Dungeon Keeper 1+2?

adamtm:

Well, discouraging those would at least make sense from that nuttty perspective, but Diablo and similar?! I don't get it.

Skeleon:

adamtm:

Well, discouraging those would at least make sense from that nuttty perspective, but Diablo and similar?! I don't get it.

Its mostly the satanic "imagery" i guess. I.e the gore and depiction of satanic rituals.
Also in games like Bayonetta/Persona/Darksiders you kick gods ass so that might add to it..

ofc im playing devils advocate (ahahaha- pun)

adamtm:
Its mostly the satanic "imagery" i guess. I.e the gore and depiction of satanic rituals.

But that would be like arguing that the "Indiana Jones"-movies are pro-Nazis because Nazis feature in them as antagonists.
Of course, it might very well be that these folks would think that way...

Skeleon:

adamtm:

But that would be like arguing that the "Indiana Jones"-movies are pro-Nazis because Nazis feature in them as antagonists.
Of course, it might very well be that these folks would think that way...

They do actually think that, especially about indy 2 with the hindi voodoo priests and crap...

A Norwegian pastor once said that Donald Duck was satanic since it dealt in magic. Got support for it to. This is adult men on the governments pay list and not some nutty YouTube wench that apparently closed her account. Got to see it before she did. Pure lunacy.

There's usually some kind of glaring inconsistency with legalists like this that they're totally oblivious to, seeing as their arguments for X IS BAD are totally devoid of thought.

Classic case in my experience were the anti-Harry Potter fundamentalist brigade who didn't like the magic in Harry Potter, but thought that C.S Lewis's Narnia was totally ok....because that in no way contained any magic at all *facepalm*

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked