Why do so many people hate nuclear?

Pages PREV 1 2

Honestly I have far greater problem with people downplaying the troubles with nuclear power. It's not a good energy form there are far to many problems with it, we need it for the time but we shouldn't rely on it.

linwolf:
Honestly I have far greater problem with people downplaying the troubles with nuclear power. It's not a good energy form there are far to many problems with it, we need it for the time but we shouldn't rely on it.

Unlike coal and oil power, which is both clean and safe, and something we should rely on?

linwolf:

Because waterpower has been proven to be safe in the past.. Coal mine accidents are at an all time low. Human-made Global Warming is a lie so oil is totally fine! Oh yea.

Next you are gonna argue that the dangers of windmills are far too little obvious.. Fear the flying blades of doom, falling off thy windmill from hell!

Elcarsh:

linwolf:

Unlike coal and oil power, which is both clean and safe, and something we should rely on?

Where the hell did I state that, no really tell me there did I say that coal and oil where good. I didn't ,no I said that we need nuclear power for now. I just don't close my eyes to the problem with nuclear power.

Nikolaz72:

linwolf:

Because waterpower has been proven to be safe in the past.. Coal mine accidents are at an all time low. Human-made Global Warming is a lie so oil is totally fine! Oh yea.

Next you are gonna argue that the dangers of windmills are far too little obvious.. Fear the flying blades of doom, falling off thy windmill from hell!

Read what I told Elcarsh and I will ad this the nuclear waste we make today will still be a problem even after 10.000 years that is longer that human civilization. There are no way to predict what will happen in that timespan.
Anyone that don't acknowledge the problems there are with nuclear power are in delusion.

linwolf:

Elcarsh:

linwolf:

Where the hell did I state that, no really tell me there did I say that coal and oil where good. I didn't ,no I said that we need nuclear power for now. I just don't close my eyes to the problem with nuclear power.

Nikolaz72:

linwolf:

Read what I told Elcarsh and I will ad this the nuclear waste we make today will still be a problem even after 10.000 years that is longer that human civilization. There are no way to predict what will happen in that timespan.
Anyone that don't acknowledge the problems there are with nuclear power are in delusion.

The last 40 years nuclear waste can be put into small vaults. . 10.000 requires a lot of large vaults.. But in 10.000 years the vaults can be filled up again. So you dont have to keep making new ones.

Nikolaz72:

linwolf:

Elcarsh:

Nikolaz72:

The last 40 years nuclear waste can be put into small vaults. . 10.000 requires a lot of large vaults.. But in 10.000 years the vaults can be filled up again. So you dont have to keep making new ones.

So you say that you know civilization will continue to exists uninterrupted for the next 10.000 years. You know that non of the vaults will start leaking after 6000 years that no problems we haven't foreseen can't happen in this timespan.

You are a hypocrite. I state that you should never be blind to a problem and you then accuse me for being blind to the alternatives problems, then in the next post prove that you are willing to close you eye since it won't be a problem in you lifetime.

linwolf:

Nikolaz72:

linwolf:

So you say that you know civilization will continue to exists uninterrupted for the next 10.000 years. You know that non of the vaults will start leaking after 6000 years that no problems we haven't foreseen can't happen in this timespan.

You are a hypocrite. I state that you should never be blind to a problem and you then accuse me for being blind to the alternatives problems, then in the next post prove that you are willing to close you eye since it won't be a problem in you lifetime.

I say that Radiation dug deep in under the ground up in the mountains will probably do nothing to hinder civilization from being civilization. However melting the polar icecaps might ruin shit for a few country.

Saying that depleted uranium can cause tons of unforseen problems well. . . So can God.

The thing with Nuclear Power, its a great source of energy and actually doesnt have safety issues as often as other sources of energy...but when it does have an issue, it has the potential to be a huge issue. Still I think until we find something better its worth the risk...but you better make darn sure there isnt a safety issue and if there is you better have ways to minimize any damage.

Basically, the cause for the fear is a lot of people don't understand the dangers of nuclear power. We can't see radiation. By the time a person has been exposed to enough radiation that they will have symptoms visible to the naked eye, it's too late. At the least, that person will become very sick, and there's a good chance they will die. But we also don't know how much harm people will suffer from lesser doses. x microseiverts will make you 1% more likely to develop cancer in your lifetime... but how do we calculate a microseivert? The average person just doesn't understand things like this, and the fewer things people understand, the scarier they become.

I personally experienced all of this when I was in Japan during the Fukushima disaster. The news would report a radiation level 10 times "normal", and everyone would panic. Then I'd study more and find out that "normal" for that area is extremely low. Once I understood the actual seivert level, I could see that it was far less than one might experience getting an x-ray or visiting a place with a lot of radon in the soil. It was nothing at all to be concerned about, but because of the attendant fears most non-experts have for radiation it got blown out of proportion.

I'll state here unequivacably: nuclear energy is not safe. No energy is safe. The very nature of energy means that if something goes wrong, it has the capacity to do harm. However, for a viable economy we need non-petroleum sources of energy. Most likely, we need many diverse sources of energy so that we have backups for when something goes wrong. I would prefer we rely more heavily on renewable energies like solar/wind/geothermal/tidal/wave power. But we will need nuclear for some time yet. And having lived 150 miles from what is being called by some the worst nuclear disaster in human history, I'm totally okay with that.

The people who say "any amount of radiation exposure is bad" just aren't being realistic. It's almost certain because of Fukushima I was exposed to increased radiation. I almost certainly drank iodine-131 in my water and maybe even took in some minute amounts of caesium radioisotopes. But even having those elements in my body isn't so frightening, because they are still far below the levels that result in any statistical change to my likelihood of developing cancer. We are exposed to higher levels of radiation by taking trans-oceanic flights than I was being vaguely near a level 7 nuclear accident, but no one ever worries about our exposure to cosmic rays in high-altitude flight because we have normalized the experience. Even if it's more dangerous than the abnormal disaster, it feels safe because tens of thousands of people do it every day.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked