28.7% (342)
28.7% (342)
Does Batman count as a religion? if so then no
12% (143)
12% (143)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Athiests and proud

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

I live in a very religious part of Sydney and well i just don't care for it and my parents are athiests witch is good because there are only 2 others in the suburb that i know of.
so what im asking is are you aethiest and proud.

Marickville if your where wondering what suburb and i will be moving soon to St.peters =)

I wouldn't say I'm 'proud' of being an atheist, it implies some kind of arrogance. However, I would say that I am exceedingly comfortable in my beliefs. I have never been presented with any kind of reason to hold a belief in any kind of deity or God, and so I wont.

Well, to me it's not so much pride as it's looking in a fair few religious scriptures, seeing all the bizarre and discriminatory teachings they contain, and thinking "thank god I'm not those guys".

This probably belong in the R&P forum.

Atheist, not proud nor ashamed.

well its not something you can really be proud of is it? i mean you dont say i am proud that i dont collect stamps
but nit pickieness aside yes i am proud but i am more of an anti-thiest than an athiest so i will say i am proud of that

I am an Agnostic Theist.

I've chosen my god and I place my faith with said god. However, I do not know if said god exists and I don't act like I do.

I've read the Torah, Bible, and Koran. None of them made any real amount of goddamn sense to me. So yes, I take pride in using logic to define my life rather than the written word of someone who didn't know a quarter of what we do today.

To be fair, most of the stuff can be summarized by "don't be a dick to other people"

the part i really dont get is why people insist on doing it anyways. and then take pride in it.

Imperator_DK:
Well, to me it's not so much pride as it's looking in a fair few religious scriptures, seeing all the bizarre and discriminatory teachings they contain, and thinking "thank god I'm not those guys".

This probably belong in the R&P forum.

Except not all religions have that. Deism doesn't have a book, organization, or anything really.

Agnostic here wondering why a lot of atheists have a need to identify themselves as such.

I mean I don't really give a shit if you are theist or atheist, and tbh that actually goes for most of the theist people around where I live (even the parish priest) but most of my atheist friends immediately start bashing religion and declaring their superiority whenever it is mentioned.

Probably only semi-ot but something I've always wondered none the less.

I think agnosticism is a far less arrogant manifestation of a non-deist cosmology, so I guess I'm proud to be one of those?

I don't find any particular religion overly annoying, rather any kind of belief system that is unwilling to entertain the possibility of the existence of truth in anything but itself.

Um, religion and politics section...
And I'd have to say, atheist and neither proud nor ashamed.

Ultratwinkie:
Except not all religions have that. Deism doesn't have a book, organization, or anything really.

Hence the expression "a fair few".

As for those religions which are 100 % non-discriminatory in all their dogma and practises, I feel neither superiority nor inferiority towards them; simply indifference, as I would towards any harmless theory entirely unsubstantiated by empirical evidence or rationale drawn from it.

I'm an atheist, but I'm not proud about it, because it should be obvious not to indulge in such poor self-deception. I mean, it's not uncommon to make a big show of scepticism about the reliability of all kinds of statements, but in matters of belief everyone clings to every last straw and probably intentionally avoids thinking about it critically.
This doesn't mean that you have to advocate some cheap materialism, but the idea of a father figure that created the universe seems to me refuted by its naivety and its strong cultural colouration alone. You cannot accept it without adopting a certain history and culture. So it's neither universal, nor necessarily very deep or in good taste (apart from being wrong in uncountable isntances). Finally, it doesn't have an impact on the universe and life, since those are self-contained (i.e. independent in their ways of any deity), and if their own rules don't make it necessary to live a life in faith, if they make faith as a reason for anything inferior to real insight, well, why should one live in faith indeed (to please your grandma perhaps).

I don't think there is a god because no such being is proven to exist or interfere with our lives. Agnostic then, maybe.

I don't really care in that sense, I'm here for the fun.
So, no.

No, I'm not proud to be an atheist, nor am I ashamed to be. Here in the predominantly Christian archipelago known as the Philippines, saying that your an atheist is just like shouting that you're gay in the middle of a biannual convention of Westboro Baptist Church. That being said, it's better to just keep silent on the matter.

Well, I'm atheist, but I don't see what there is to be proud of in it.

What exactly is there to be proud of or ashamed of? It's just part of how one perceives the world.
No i don't believe in any god or any form of personification of absolute power behind creation. I don't call myself an atheist either. I respect other's choice to believe because, as long as it doesn't affect me directly, it's not my business. I'm only opposed to institutionalism in religion.

Sadly, the majority of atheists I've met are proud - to the point where they like to loudly shove their beliefs into the face of every religious person they come across.
Of course, whatever one does or does not believe in, one should be proud of it. But without being a dick about it.

Imperator_DK:

Interesting choice of words.

Atheist and ashamed.

i think keeping an open mind and makeing decisions for your self is important
people who are religious because their parents are or because they think its "cool" are in it for the wrong reason

same goes for athiests

explore the topic by your self, for your self and make the decision by your self.
it dosent matter what conclusion you make Yay, nay or undecided, you will be enlightend

If proud means very interested in literature and culture popularly attributed to atheism, then yes, yes I am.

Well I don't believe in god, but I am still wondering how the universe started. I mean, the big bang is good and all, but where did the mass come from? It has to have a starting point! Science must find this out in my lifetime!

I'm not a proud atheist, just as I'd hope I wouldn't be a proud (insert religion here). Just because they're my (lack of) beliefs doesn't mean they're for everyone.

Bobzer77:
Agnostic here wondering why a lot of atheists have a need to identify themselves as such.

I mean I don't really give a shit if you are theist or atheist, and tbh that actually goes for most of the theist people around where I live (even the parish priest) but most of my atheist friends immediately start bashing religion and declaring their superiority whenever it is mentioned.

What exactly defines an agnostic?
Do you believe in a god? If not, then you are without a god, and therefore fall into the direct translation (and meaning) of atheist.

I don't care about religion at all, and I am niether proud nor ashamed of it. That is my belief, why would I be proud about the fact I don't believe in a god?

Polytheistic Agnositic; as I don't believe any of us can truly know the mind of the infinite or near infinite.

Hamish Durie:
I live in a very religious part of Sydney and well i just don't care for it and my parents are athiests witch is good because there are only 2 others in the suburb that i know of.
so what im asking is are you aethiest and proud

I'm certainly not the athiest; in fact I can't even claim to be athier than anyone else, since I don't know what 'being athi' means.

But I am an atheist, and proud of it. I do not believe in the existence of any god (which is the only criterion for being an atheist.) Furthermore, I believe religion and theism are destructive in nature and have no place in modern society.

Having said that, I don't go around giving people crap for being religious. You can believe whatever you want. Just don't bring your irrational beliefs into my life.

I'm more Agnostic, I believe that some kind of consciousness could have been behind the creation of the universe, but that he/she wouldn't break the laws of the universe he/she created by meddling in human affairs.

Also self-righteous atheists who seem to think of religion as a crime, piss me off.

I wouldn't say i'm proud to be Atheist, however living in a world with so much WAR, HUNGER and SUFFERING i really do find it hard to believe in an almighty, all-knowing entity that created us in is image. I like the idea but i find peoples attitude toward non-believers DEPLORABLE due to the fact that WE do noare t belive in the invisable man in the sky. Yet they (the believers)try to make us look like the devil (although Lucifer is pretty much the good guy in the bible) so go figre

the joy i get from saying i am an atheist is like the joy i get from saying there are no fairy's at the bottom of my garden (coz in the end there the same thing)

Darth IB:
Interesting choice of words.

Glad you appreciate the ending tidbit of irony in it.

But hey, no reason to clear out old phrases which have passed into ordinary everyday use of language to such degree that they carry no theological statement whatsoever.

Squid94:
I wouldn't say I'm 'proud' of being an atheist, it implies some kind of arrogance. However, I would say that I am exceedingly comfortable in my beliefs. I have never been presented with any kind of reason to hold a belief in any kind of deity or God, and so I wont.

Exactly this.

I'm an atheist but I'm not "proud" of it, as such. It's not really a thing to be "proud" of, in that sense.

I'm not going to get into a religious debate but I come from a secular family and have been raised this way. I'm opinionated and just don't understand many aspects of religion. But I'm not going to bash someone for being religious at all - unless they think they are "holier than thou" or try and preach or shove it down my neck; that's a different story.

Hamish Durie:
so what im asking is are you aethiest and proud

I hope that you're dyslexic, otherwise I'm going to start fire bombing the NSW Board of Education.

First of all, it's Atheist, not Athiest, or Aethiest. Secondly, which, not witch. Thirdly, grammar, grammar, grammar. Capitalise your 'I's, use question marks, commas, the whole nine yards. Legibility is your friend. I'm sorry if this is coming off a bit harsh, but we really pride ourself on having a high standard of literacy around these forums. It doesn't take much effort to make your post legible. Again, disregard if you are dyslexic.

OT: I'm atheist, but I don't define myself by it. That seems rather counter-intuitive. Defining yourself with an absence of something? Doesn't make sense. It's a completely irrelevant part of my life.

I wouldn't really call myself a firm atheist, I just disagree with all current religions, and I believe the existence of a god to be unlikely. I guess I'm proud of it, I like the idea that I haven't made any massive leaps of faith. I just reserve judgement until more proof is revealed - if such proof exists.

Bobzer77:

Why do bisexuals need to identify themselves as such? Puerto Ricans? Paintballers?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked