Liberty and Justice eh? Swat teams for farm animals?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Grospoliner:

Lil devils x:
SWAT Teams Execute Man's rehablitation Farm Animals With Shot Guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91Trn8jVyk&feature=related
SWAT Team Shaking Down the Family Dairy Farm
http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/jeffcarter/2011/08/30/swat_team_shaking_down_the_family_dairy_farm/page/full/
http://farmageddonmovie.com/

Is this the proper role of government?

Sorry, any website that uses the term "Obamacare" automatically loses all credibility.

So what do you propose they call it? It would be less credible to refer to it in any way shape or form as " universal Healthcare" or an " improvement" at all. " Insurance mandate" and " obamacare" are more descriptive of what it actually is. As one who has been promoting actual Universal Healthcare before it became a catch phrase I am insulted by Healthcare and Obama's insurance mandate even being remotely related in any way.

Blablahb:

Lil devils x:

Considering just one batch of raw milk can easily kill a few hundred people if a bacteria infects it: yes, it is. The government is tasked with food safety, and moonlighters trying to sell dangerous foodstuffs without taking even the most elementary hygiene measure of heating it, should be put out of business.

Here's what just one batch of organic spinach caused:
http://www.cdc.gov/foodborne/ecolispinach/100606.htm

102 hospitalised, 3 deaths, 31 developed kidney failure that will stay with them for the rest of their lives and likely send them to an early grave somewhere around age 50.

Besides, it's the US. For all you know the farmer has a ton of guns and the wild west law in the back of his head. Of course you need a Swat team. Anyone shocked by that, go complain to the NRA. They're the ones who promote it.

and how exactly does spinach become contaminated with e-coli? apparently when using antibiotics on farm animals you end up with stronger strains of ecoli that survive when its passed through the digestive track and contaminates local ground water.. spray that water on your crops..

Lil devils x:

StarCecil:

Lil devils x:
I do think that should not be assumed they would be able to gain knoweldge of laws and permits easily...

I didn't see this brought up, but it needs to be said:

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. No court of law in the Unites States will allow that defense.

I am fully aware of this fact. However, I believe that is wrong with ever changing laws. In the begining it was understood that the United States is a " constitutional republic" by legal definiation means " rule of existing constitutional law". Since laws have changed much in time, it is impossible for any citizen to be aware of all laws on the books at any given place or any given time. There are actually laws about walking a duck on a leash and using a feather duster on a building. With this being the case, I do believe ignorace of the law" should be reconsidered as well, as this system is not just and can be only tyrranical in it's current form. In accordance to our founders on the issue of tyranny in government, if the government does become tyrranical, then it is no longer your government and we were directed to fight it every step of the way. I believe that applies here.

TheStatutoryApe:

A quick look at NC law shows that licenses/permits have been required for holding animals in captivity since 1976. Since 2002 any permits for holding deer or other related species have been denied by law as a precaution against Chronic Wasting Disease.

The man was already in violation of laws in place for quite a bit of time. As StatutoryApe goes on to say, if this person wanted to actually help these animals, he would have been sure to conform to government standards (which include permits and having his animals tested) to ensure their safety and the safety of other animals and people.

It's very disingenuous for you to refer to this as "tyranny" this is not a tyrannical government oppressing individual rights; this is the US government doing its job by protecting you, me and three hundred million other people from possible contamination by a dangerous disease. The possible damage to the nation - and dare I say the world - outweigh the necessity of notifying the man of police involvement.

It's the same when a raid is being conducted or a warrant is being served. If the suspect is warned beforehand it endangers officers, increases the risk of evidence being concealed or destroyed (as was the fear here - a fear increased due to the possibility of a pandemic) and interferes with the investigation. Should officers then be expected to announce their arrival when they are about to raid a grow house? Or when they're conducting a sting?

The man was in violation of the law, plain and simple, and he is the one to have killed those animals.

StarCecil:

Lil devils x:

StarCecil:

I didn't see this brought up, but it needs to be said:

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. No court of law in the Unites States will allow that defense.

I am fully aware of this fact. However, I believe that is wrong with ever changing laws. In the begining it was understood that the United States is a " constitutional republic" by legal definiation means " rule of existing constitutional law". Since laws have changed much in time, it is impossible for any citizen to be aware of all laws on the books at any given place or any given time. There are actually laws about walking a duck on a leash and using a feather duster on a building. With this being the case, I do believe ignorace of the law" should be reconsidered as well, as this system is not just and can be only tyrranical in it's current form. In accordance to our founders on the issue of tyranny in government, if the government does become tyrranical, then it is no longer your government and we were directed to fight it every step of the way. I believe that applies here.

TheStatutoryApe:

A quick look at NC law shows that licenses/permits have been required for holding animals in captivity since 1976. Since 2002 any permits for holding deer or other related species have been denied by law as a precaution against Chronic Wasting Disease.

The man was already in violation of laws in place for quite a bit of time. As StatutoryApe goes on to say, if this person wanted to actually help these animals, he would have been sure to conform to government standards (which include permits and having his animals tested) to ensure their safety and the safety of other animals and people.

It's very disingenuous for you to refer to this as "tyranny" this is not a tyrannical government oppressing individual rights; this is the US government doing its job by protecting you, me and three hundred million other people from possible contamination by a dangerous disease. The possible damage to the nation - and dare I say the world - outweigh the necessity of notifying the man of police involvement.

It's the same when a raid is being conducted or a warrant is being served. If the suspect is warned beforehand it endangers officers, increases the risk of evidence being concealed or destroyed (as was the fear here - a fear increased due to the possibility of a pandemic) and interferes with the investigation. Should officers then be expected to announce their arrival when they are about to raid a grow house? Or when they're conducting a sting?

The man was in violation of the law, plain and simple, and he is the one to have killed those animals.

Yes it is supressing individual rights. His Wildlife preserve had existed for 30 years. He shoulkd have been given a warning, not come in and shoot the animals. They claimed they shot the animals to test them for wasting disease, which does not exist in their state or the region. Not only fo they have no scientif backing to make such a claim, the law requiring a permit for a wildlife preserve is ridiculous to begin with. Since when does nature need a license? We are outlawing the natural now? If you protect animals on your property from hunters, you should need a permit? What kind of garbage is that?

They are not protecting anyone. You value a false sense of security over your natural rights on this earth? You are no more safe by these actions than you are without them.
He did not kill those animals. People with the mindset that they have authority over others is what killed those animals.
This nation is a tyrannical and unjust nation. There is no justice in punishing someone trying to save what wildlife we have left on this planet as a criminal. There was no victim here, except the guy trying to help the injured deer, and the deer themselves.

You promote tyranny over the minority in the guise of justice through fearmongering to give a false sense of security, and call it "the law".

His Wildlife preserve had existed for 30 years. He shoulkd have been given a warning, not come in and shoot the animals.

And permit laws have existed for longer than that. The police cannot risk a warning when there is a danger that evidence (and in this case the actual crime) might be disposed of.

They claimed they shot the animals to test them for wasting disease, which does not exist in their state or the region.

And I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way. Have you paused to consider that it might be the government's regulations preventing wasting disease from taking root? Have you stopped to consider the potential for death and suffering had he allowed the disease to cultivate through his criminal negligence?

Since when does nature need a license?

Nature is fine - it don't need a license. A man wanting to keep wild animals in captivity needs a license and needs government regulations to protect others. I would think that you would consider holding animals in captivity to be against nature - since, you know, it isn't exactly natural.

They are not protecting anyone.

The population of the United States is upwards of three hundred and seven million. Chronic Wasting Disease is always painful and always fatal. And it is highly communicable in animal populations and can jump species through consumption. This man was endangering the lives of God knows how many people by operating outside of the law. The law exists for a reason. It isn't made by cackling Bond villains searching for a grade school-esque high off of inflicting minor inconvenience on others.

Your talk of tyranny in the United States is unfounded and of no concern to this discussion. The police were acting in the interests of the public health. It was irresponsible of this man to break the law by holding deer in captivity without the proper licenses. If he really, truly cared he would have bent over backwards to get these permits.

Otherwise he was endangering all the deer in North America by putting them at risk of a 100% fatal disease. He was putting other human beings at risk by negligence.

StarCecil:

His Wildlife preserve had existed for 30 years. He shoulkd have been given a warning, not come in and shoot the animals.

And permit laws have existed for longer than that. The police cannot risk a warning when there is a danger that evidence (and in this case the actual crime) might be disposed of.

They claimed they shot the animals to test them for wasting disease, which does not exist in their state or the region.

And I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way. Have you paused to consider that it might be the government's regulations preventing wasting disease from taking root? Have you stopped to consider the potential for death and suffering had he allowed the disease to cultivate through his criminal negligence?

Since when does nature need a license?

Nature is fine - it don't need a license. A man wanting to keep wild animals in captivity needs a license and needs government regulations to protect others. I would think that you would consider holding animals in captivity to be against nature - since, you know, it isn't exactly natural.

They are not protecting anyone.

The population of the Unites States is upwards of three hundred and seven million. Chronic Wasting Disease is always painful. And it is highly communicable in animal populations and can jump species through consumption. This man was endangering the lives of God knows how many people by operating outside of the law. The law exists for a reason. It isn't made by cackling Bond villains searching for a grade school-esque high off of inflicting minor inconvenience on others.

Your talk of tyranny in the Unites States is unfounded and of no concern to this discussion. The police were acting in the interests of the public health. It was irresponsible of this man to break the law by holding deer in captivity without the proper licenses. If he really, truly cared he would have bent over backwards to get these permits.

Otherwise he was endangering all the deer in North America by putting them at risk of a 100% fatal disease. He was putting other human beings at risk by negligence.

There is no scientific backing to their claim. I have worked in Medicine for quite some time, and we do not test everyone for every disease in the area as it is. The entire premise of their law is unfounded. We have terrible and deadly diseases everywhere, we still do not test everyone for them. Like I stated before:

"This nation is a tyrannical and unjust nation. There is no justice in punishing someone trying to save what wildlife we have left on this planet as a criminal. There was no victim here, except the guy trying to help the injured deer, and the deer themselves.

You promote tyranny over the minority in the guise of justice through fearmongering to give a false sense of security, and call it "the law". "

That is the truth of the matter. You can cut out posts all you wish, but it does not change the reality.

Lil devils x:

There is no scientific backing to their claim. I have worked in Medicine for quite some time, and we do not test everyone for every disease in the area as it is. The entire premise of their law is unfounded. We have terrible and deadly diseases everywhere, we still do not test everyone for them. Like I stated before:

"This nation is a tyrannical and unjust nation. There is no justice in punishing someone trying to save what wildlife we have left on this planet as a criminal. There was no victim here, except the guy trying to help the injured deer, and the deer themselves.

You promote tyranny over the minority in the guise of justice through fearmongering to give a false sense of security, and call it "the law". "

That is the truth of the matter. You can cut out posts all you wish, but it does not change the reality.

It's a good thing you don't work in veterinary medicine, then. People are different than animals because there is a vast network of medical infrastructure and and a large ability to detect dangerous communicable diseases amongst people (and prevent them in the first place). We don't have to check all people in an area because we have the capacity to check in an on-demand basis.

Animals, especially animals meant for consumption, cannot be played with. A disease amongst livestock has the potential to destroy our country and others if not reeled in. The law was to protect those animals.

And this ultra-libertarian rhetoric is cutting into your position. It's filled with hyperbole and makes you seem quite a bit unreasonable as a consequence.

There was an eminent threat of communicable disease and the law that the man was in violation of was specific to that disease.

And now, I see a bit of hypocrisy in your statements. A few of the things you said would suggest you care about nature and the welfare of the animals - in which case you should err on the side of the law, seeing as he was keeping wild animals in captivity. He could very well have been abusing these animals - and arguably was - and we wouldn't have known about it due to a distinct lack of permits.

And if the animals are his property, then one cannot argue "Since when does nature need a license? We are outlawing the natural now?" since they were his property. And the law still applies.

Look, if it had been a meth lab with the potential for exploding, would you argue that the police violated his rights?

StarCecil:

Lil devils x:

It's a good thing you don't work in veterinary medicine, then. People are different than animals because there is a vast network of medical infrastructure and and a large ability to detect dangerous communicable diseases amongst people (and prevent them in the first place). We don't have to check all people in an area because we have the capacity to check in an on-demand basis.

Animals, especially animals meant for consumption, cannot be played with. A disease amongst livestock has the potential to destroy our country and others if not reeled in. The law was to protect those animals.

And this ultra-libertarian rhetoric is cutting into your position. It's filled with hyperbole and makes you seem quite a bit unreasonable as a consequence.

There was an eminent threat of communicable disease and the law that the man was in violation of was specific to that disease.

And now, I see a bit of hypocrisy in your statements. A few of the things you said would suggest you care about nature and the welfare of the animals - in which case you should err on the side of the law, seeing as he was keeping wild animals in captivity. He could very well have been abusing these animals - and arguably was - and we wouldn't have known about it due to a distinct lack of permits.

And if the animals are his property, then one cannot argue "Since when does nature need a license? We are outlawing the natural now?" since they were his property. And the law still applies.

Look, if it had been a meth lab with the potential for exploding, would you argue that the police violated his rights?

The difference is that human beings have rights and animals do not. You can get state of the art medical treatment for animals, if you have the money to pay for it. That is the truth of it.

What was the imminent threat?
imminent
1. likely to occur at any moment; impending

2. projecting or leaning forward; overhanging.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imminent

The disease did not exist in the region or the state. There was no imminent threat. That is fearmongering and has no basis in science.

When We had 100 cases of swine flu in our town being diagnosed a week, we still did not test everyone that came into the clinic for it. That would be considerd an imminent threat, not have no cases in the state or the region. No calling it as such is fearmongering to justify unjustifiable actions.

You can continue to promote tyranny, and I will continue to call it what it is.

nikki191:
and how exactly does spinach become contaminated with e-coli? apparently when using antibiotics on farm animals you end up with stronger strains of ecoli that survive when its passed through the digestive track and contaminates local ground water.. spray that water on your crops..

You end up with that because organic crops can't use pesticides, disinfectants etc. Because of that, any source of infection will infect all the crop.

One source for instance is infected manure. Normally this is not a problem, as animals rarely carry that bacteria, and a mix of manure and other fertilizer, together with various chemical agents, ensures the bacteria can not take root.

Organic crops however can only use manure, and only manure from organic animals, who are infected much more often because no ways of disease prevention and curing are allowed. It also takes root because no pesticides and other chemical agents to improve the crop are allowed.

Summarizing: it's a risk because organic farming and the 'natural' movement are founded on superstition and fear of technology and the 'new' rather than what can be backed by science.

Blablahb:

nikki191:

You end up with that because organic crops can't use pesticides, disinfectants etc. Because of that, any source of infection will infect all the crop.

One source for instance is infected manure. Normally this is not a problem, as animals rarely carry that bacteria, and a mix of manure and other fertilizer, together with various chemical agents, ensures the bacteria can not take root.

Organic crops however can only use manure, and only manure from organic animals, who are infected much more often because no ways of disease prevention and curing are allowed. It also takes root because no pesticides and other chemical agents to improve the crop are allowed.

Summarizing: it's a risk because organic farming and the 'natural' movement are founded on superstition and fear of technology and the 'new' rather than what can be backed by science.

Obviously you have never been an organic gardener. We use worm compost bins here, and specific flowers that keep insects away.

Lil devils x:
Obviously you have never been an organic gardener. We use worm compost bins here, and specific flowers that keep insects away.

Prove that planting a flower nearby, or other nonsense, provides 100% effective protection against all harmfull bacteria, and only after that can you claim that.

Lil devils x:

Grospoliner:

Lil devils x:
SWAT Teams Execute Man's rehablitation Farm Animals With Shot Guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91Trn8jVyk&feature=related
SWAT Team Shaking Down the Family Dairy Farm
http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/jeffcarter/2011/08/30/swat_team_shaking_down_the_family_dairy_farm/page/full/
http://farmageddonmovie.com/

Sorry, any website that uses the term "Obamacare" automatically loses all credibility.

So what do you propose they call it?

Well normally you call things by their names, in this case "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act".

Lil devils x:

Blablahb:

nikki191:

Sounds like you are talking about a private garden. In the large scale organic farms (the type that sell to stores) liquified manure is a very common fertilizer. I don't know about the case mentioned earlier in this thread, but in the ecoli and ground water poisonings in Canada that I'm aware of have all been traced back to organic farms that failed to properly handle their manure.

There are also a number of cases in the US were ecoli was introduced by farm hands who weren't given proper washroom facilities, but that could apply to both organic and conventional farms.

ravensheart18:

Lil devils x:

Grospoliner:

So what do you propose they call it?

Well normally you call things by their names, in this case "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act".

That name is not descriptive of what it is. It does not offer patients protection, nor does it make their healthcare affordable. So that name is a direct misrepresentation of what it is. It is an insurance mandate and harms patients and increases the cost of their care. I have ranted on this very subject quite a bit on this forum, so I will leave it at that for the moment. I can give you exact detail as to why this is if you wish, but would need to have another thread to cover all of the details. Insurance does not equal healthcare.

If the USDA and FDA really cared about the "public good," they would be taking steps toward banning alcohol and tobacco consumption. Those two kill far more people on a yearly basis than raw milk ever could. And the USDA wouldn't put grains on the bottom of the food pyramid when they should be eaten sparingly up with sweets/candies. Just let the consumer decide what they put in their body. The government should just make sure everything is properly labeled so the consumer has enough information to make the choice.

Lil devils x:

StarCecil:

Lil devils x:

The difference is that human beings have rights and animals do not. You can get state of the art medical treatment for animals, if you have the money to pay for it. That is the truth of it.

What was the imminent threat?
imminent
1. likely to occur at any moment; impending

2. projecting or leaning forward; overhanging.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imminent

The disease did not exist in the region or the state. There was no imminent threat. That is fearmongering and has no basis in science.

When We had 100 cases of swine flu in our town being diagnosed a week, we still did not test everyone that came into the clinic for it. That would be considerd an imminent threat, not have no cases in the state or the region. No calling it as such is fearmongering to justify unjustifiable actions.

You can continue to promote tyranny, and I will continue to call it what it is.

You continually bring up the fact that no cases of Wasting disease existed in that state. And I continually reply that it is the laws and regulations that work to keep it so. The state authorities feel that danger from Chronic Wasting Disease is severe enough a threat to necessitate laws to prevent its spread. The farmer didn't think he should have to have the proper permits and licenses. Sounds like he was the one at fault.

And I certainly don't expect an animal to have the same rights as a human being, least of all an animal meant for the slaughtering block. That said, for my own pets I would pay however much money needed to see to their health, no question. If he truly cared about those animals, he would have done the same.

I don't know where you work or what your field of specialty is, but here the Swine Flu outbreak was taken very seriously. Anyone experiencing the symptoms related to Swine Flu were urged to see a doctor, and any patients admitted with similar symptoms was tested. At the height of the epidemic, hundreds of students were pulled from school by parents.

Wasting Disease is not outwardly apparent unless one is specifically looking for it, and it is always fatal.

Lil devils x:

There have been cases of the disease fairly close to NC and Deer migratory routes connect NC to the major areas of contamination. I know that TX is big like my state, CA, and so things happening in other states seem far away but NC is not that big. For them something happening a couple states over is the same as something happening on the other side of the state for us.

Also this Chronic Wasting Disease is a form of spongiform encephalitis which is a bitch to deal with and detect. The only known and sure fire method to detect such a disease is via autopsy which makes it incredibly difficult to track. It is even possible that the disease is already in NC and they just don't know it yet.

I get it. At the vet hospital that I worked at I assisted as my supervisor put down a kitten (a fucking kitten) because the owner decided that they did not want to deal with vet bills. I watched as a dog laid there with silver dollar sized bed sores on both sides and her uterus was necrotic and crawling with maggots because the owner just couldn't deal with their dog dying. It is sad when animals are killed or tortured for no good reason what so ever. At least these people had some good in mind when they killed these deer. The saddest part is really that the laws that protect the local deer are probably only there to protect the state's trade as a hunting spot for vacationers.

Edit: Sad as well is that this man for some reason could not bring himself to pay for a five fucking dollar license to keep animals that could very well have prevented those animals from dying.

TheStatutoryApe:

Lil devils x:

There have been cases of the disease fairly close to NC and Deer migratory routes connect NC to the major areas of contamination. I know that TX is big like my state, CA, and so things happening in other states seem far away but NC is not that big. For them something happening a couple states over is the same as something happening on the other side of the state for us.

Also this Chronic Wasting Disease is a form of spongiform encephalitis which is a bitch to deal with and detect. The only known and sure fire method to detect such a disease is via autopsy which makes it incredibly difficult to track. It is even possible that the disease is already in NC and they just don't know it yet.

I get it. At the vet hospital that I worked at I assisted as my supervisor put down a kitten (a fucking kitten) because the owner decided that they did not want to deal with vet bills. I watched as a dog laid there with silver dollar sized bed sores on both sides and her uterus was necrotic and crawling with maggots because the owner just couldn't deal with their dog dying. It is sad when animals are killed or tortured for no good reason what so ever. At least these people had some good in mind when they killed these deer. The saddest part is really that the laws that protect the local deer are probably only there to protect the state's trade as a hunting spot for vacationers.

Edit: Sad as well is that this man for some reason could not bring himself to pay for a five fucking dollar license to keep animals that could very well have prevented those animals from dying.

I am sure he would have if he had only known about it. They didn;t give him that chance. The way this whole thing was handled was wrong. They should have given him x # of days to get a permit, they did not.
Hell for even somthing as common knowledge as getting an inspection sticker on your vehicle they give you like 10 days to get one before the fine hits you. They should have given him a chance.

Lil devils x:
I am sure he would have if he had only known about it. They didn;t give him that chance. The way this whole thing was handled was wrong. They should have given him x # of days to get a permit, they did not.
Hell for even somthing as common knowledge as getting an inspection sticker on your vehicle they give you like 10 days to get one before the fine hits you. They should have given him a chance.

We don't really know what happened. He said that someone came out to inspect the enclosure which, from what I have read, is necessary to get a license or permit but he never got one. That makes it a bit suspicious, seeming that perhaps he did not make his enclosure to spec and decided to go ahead anyway. He makes it sound as though they did not require licenses when he built his enclosure but the law has been on the books since 1976 which is well over 30 years ago. The law has changed since but it would have to have changed radically for it to have not been applicable then as it is now. He said himself that he believed there was some licensing issues with white tail deer, of which he had two in the group of seven, yet he apparently decided to operate as he chose anyway. Its pretty obvious that he has been breaking the law knowingly, the only question is to the extent of his knowledge of the law.

The primary thing which you are taking an issue with is the euthanization of the deer which is a somewhat separate issue. It was not done as a punishment to him, which is the way you are making it out, it was a matter of precaution. Since he was not licensed the conditions and denizens of his rehabilitation preserve had not been under supervision from the state as required. The deer had not been appropriately tagged. They did not know where the deer had come from. They were an unknown and, reading the attendant laws with regard to the licenses, it is no wonder that they were euthanized. His own punishment will likely be fairly small unless they charge him with endangering the local wildlife.

Lil devils x:

You forgot to argue why ignoring the law like that should be rewarded by not punishing offenders and giving them a chance to get a permit after all.

Nothing wrong with gm foods (at least the plant variety). In fact they're very necessary with the coming population boom, all governments should be pushing it.

My intent is not to sound like some ass here, so don't take it that way, but do some research on gm foods and see what kind of side effects can take place, and how unhealthy they can be. There's a reason gm foods are used, and it's not to give the people a plentiful supply of healthy foods.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked