Why is Rape worse then other crimes?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Now, I'm in no way saying rape is okay. I'm asking from a purely philosophical perspective. Why is Rape worse then say, assault or even theft? What makes a sexual crime more severe then a purely physical crime or having your identity stolen or having your house ransacked?

Rape would be worse than assault because you are assaulting someone, and also forcing yourself onto them sexually. I don't really see why the question needs to be asked, even just speaking "philosophically". Of course rape is worse than having some things stolen from you, where does philosophy even come into play? It just seems so simple, amd I don't mean to put you down for creating the thread.

chronobreak:
Rape would be worse than assault because you are assaulting someone, and also forcing yourself onto them sexually. I don't really see why the question needs to be asked, even just speaking "philosophically". Of course rape is worse than having some things stolen from you, where does philosophy even come into play? It just seems so simple, amd I don't mean to put you down for creating the thread.

But why? Why is that worse? Assuming you're not actually injured to any noticable degree during the crime, you haven't actually lost anything. You retain your posessions, and you aren't actually physically debilitated, which is more than you can say for victims of muggings or murder.

Of course, we all know THAT rape is really really bad, but there is nothing wrong with asking the question WHY it is really really bad.

Objectively speaking I see rape as equivalent to assault. Comparing it to theft is pretty dubious.

However, society's taboos about sex make the actual effects of rape worse. Were I to get the crap beaten out of me by someone I know, the police would be unlikely to ask if I deserved it, or if I had led the person who assaulted me on, or if the person who assaulted me had just misunderstood me when I asked not to have the crap beaten out of me. At least, not unless there was actually some evidence pointing to any of those cases. There are no societies where a woman who has merely been physically beaten can be declared an adulterer and stoned to death. If a woman tells a date that she was once beaten up, she doesn't have to wonder if her date will think she is dirty because of the experience.

So being raped can be pretty different. Now personally, I think a rape victim can potentially overcome a rape experience just as easily as an assault victim can, and psychologically move past it with no long-term repercussions. But I won't be surprised or fault any rape victim who because of the added sexual element, needs longer.

Well it is a crime that leaves permiment mental damage and a sense of violation from the victim. Its worse than pain as pain goes away and is just a memory, and even fear is not as bad as its just fear... rape is a lot lot worse than a lot of crimes that can be committed...

I'd go as far to say only Murder and possibly some extreme forms of torture and extreme GBH can be worse than rape.

This is coming from a guy who's cousin was raped 2 weeks ago... my family wanted to kill the guy, being the only level head in the room I talked them out of it, but my family still want this guys blood... just not his life >.>

There is more damage to the victim during a rape than just the damage of the assault itself. When a woman is raped, she worries about pregnancy, STD's, the way society views her. The damage can continue after the rape, it doesn't just stop. The worries are in the back of your mind, you subject yourself to more testing due to the uncertainty of tests to try to be sure they did not give you a disease. If a woman is actually impregnated from the rape, this is not something that just "goes away" they either have to decide to keep the child or not. If they actually have the child, then you have a child then affected by this. There are so many more things involved with the physical and physiological damage from rape that it I do not believe it can even be catagorized as just an " assault". I have been assaulted and raped, and I can tell you the stress alone from rape makes it much more severe than any beating. My broken bones healed much faster than the wounds from being raped. It hurts in a way that is difficult to even explain. No matter how you try to wash it away, it is stuck with you forever. When I think about someone hitting me, I get angry. When I think about the rape I feel sick to my stomache. It is a different reaction entirely. It comes back to haunt you everytime someone asks you " when did you lose your virginity?" and just normal conversations in regards to sex. It affects you the rest of your life, and often affects your relationships for the rest of your life. It makes it much more difficult to trust men, and you flash back to it at times when you are not expecting it.

It's an purely emotional distinction.

Rape is not even considered worse than all other crimes, you're just only comparing to other crimes against strangers.

You don't get the same reaction from theft or assault or murder because the context of intimacy isn't even remotely involved (conceptually, yes someone you are intimate with can steal or hurt you).

But that brings me to my next point: compare the reactions to a rapist to a the reactions to a domestic abuser. Much more similar than between a rapist and a thief. It's natural to associate intimacy to sex, just the same as it is to marriage. Having those things turn into situations of violence is unexpected and mind breaking.

A violent theif isn't so unexpected. Property and ownership often naturally lead to crime and violence, and we think of them that way. (to support this claim, think of every child's response to losing something in a public place- "somebody stole my [whatever]") It's putting violence into something that is naturally associated with love that gets a stronger reaction. Theft is something most of us can understand motive, where rape feels unnatural.

tstorm823:
It's an purely emotional distinction.

Rape is not even considered worse than all other crimes, you're just only comparing to other crimes against strangers.

You don't get the same reaction from theft or assault or murder because the context of intimacy isn't even remotely involved (conceptually, yes someone you are intimate with can steal or hurt you).

But that brings me to my next point: compare the reactions to a rapist to a the reactions to a domestic abuser. Much more similar than between a rapist and a thief. It's natural to associate intimacy to sex, just the same as it is to marriage. Having those things turn into situations of violence is unexpected and mind breaking.

A violent theif isn't so unexpected. Property and ownership often naturally lead to crime and violence, and we think of them that way. (to support this claim, think of every child's response to losing something in a public place- "somebody stole my [whatever]") It's putting violence into something that is naturally associated with love that gets a stronger reaction. Theft is something most of us can understand motive, where rape feels unnatural.

There are emotional and physical aspects as well. Children that are born of rape, women and children that have been infected with disease from rape are definately more physical than mental distinctions. Their lives are physically changed forever.

Dude, just to warn you, fully expect a backlash for having to ask that question. And honestly I don't even know how you can compare rape to anything else, this coming from a woman. With rape you risk pregnancy and STD's. An attacker isn't going to care whether he's carrying HIV or not and he's sure as hell not going to care if the victim gets pregnant. You don't risk disease or an unwanted child from theft or any other kind of assault.

Just from a purely empirical perspective, people tend to be much more hurt by rape than assault because of the social and psychological implications of rape. So if you simply think the severity of a crime is related to how much harm it deals, then it's pretty simple to say that rape is worse than assault in general. That doesn't mean all rape is worse than all assault, or that rape is somehow on an untouchable level of evil which no other crime can even begin to compare to. It's just a simple fact that having sex with people against their will tends to do more harm than just punching them.

Professor James:
Now, I'm in no way saying rape is okay. I'm asking from a purely philosophical perspective. Why is Rape worse then say, assault or even theft? What makes a sexual crime more severe then a purely physical crime or having your identity stolen or having your house ransacked?

While I'm against the idea that rape is somehow worse than murder, and my reasoning considers that many rape victims do overcome the trauma and physical damage to their person, and live a reasonably healthy life afterwards and persevere, murder victims sort of are always dead period. It seems insulting to tell somebody strong enough to deal with that hardship they would had been better off dead.

That said and out of the way, I can certainly see rape being a worse crime than identity theft or burglary. Items and shit can be repurchased. You can't cut a check and make physical trauma or psychological trauma just 'go away'. Yes, it can be overcome, but only through the hard work of the victim (and their care providers, loved ones, etc. all working together in some cases).

It's also part of the reasoning why assault and battery tend to be worse crimes than theft, too. If my PlayStation is stolen, for the most part a check can be cut to completely recover damages, and within hours.

tstorm823:
It's an purely emotional distinction..

That's a lot like saying that PTSD is 'all in your head'. Sounds easy to deal with on paper. "Lol, baby, stop imagining horrible things.", but it's not so much.

Katatori-kun:
Objectively speaking I see rape as equivalent to assault. Comparing it to theft is pretty dubious.

This only, again, works out if you assume people are robots and psychological damages aren't a possible thing.

At least you agree that comparing it to theft is dubious though.

Professor James:

I presume you want something quantifiable.

Rape causes a great deal more trauma for most people, which manifests directly in mental illness, suicide and other negative psychological consequences. It also causes a great deal of physical trauma and extreme pain, you can in fact die from it - and you can also suffer long term physical consequences. Raping someone effectively represents a will to cause GBH.

Most rapes will never be reported simply because the victim wants to avoid reliving the experience or having to talk about it. Although this isn't unusual in violent crimes, it is unusual with such a severe form of assault. Rape causes an extremely strong shame response in many female victims, who will often rationalize the experience by making it their fault or doubting whether they might have actually consented. This is one reason why it's so psychologically damaging, and why people have such difficulty recovering from it.

Rape is also extremely likely to be carried out by an intimate partner, family member or supposed friend, so in many ways it also represents a kind of betrayal. The same is arguably true of assault, but much less so, particularly for male victims.

Finally, rape is extremely difficult to prosecute, in fact it's almost impossible to successfully prosecute. To be convicted of rape you either need to confess the crime or to have been extremely blatant about it. This leads to the (largely untrue) perception that rapist = pathological sexual predator, and sentencing reflects this.

Because of the above three points, rape is also more likely than other crimes to be serial. A person who is raped may well be raped several times, often by the same person, either because they fail to report or because when they do there is insufficient support or a failed conviction. Rape is also a relatively good indicator of other forms of domestic violence, so as you can imagine severe psychological damage is likely.

Damien Granz:

Katatori-kun:

This only, again, works out if you assume people are robots and psychological damages aren't a possible thing.

At least you agree that comparing it to theft is dubious though.

Way to gut the entirety of my post elaborating on that point and clarifying that the reality is more subtle.

evilthecat:

Professor James:

I presume you want something quantifiable.

Rape causes a great deal more trauma for most people, which manifests directly in mental illness, suicide and other negative psychological consequences. It also causes a great deal of physical trauma and extreme pain, you can in fact die from it - and you can also suffer long term physical consequences. Raping someone effectively represents a will to cause GBH.

Can't you die from assault too and isn't grevious bodily harm only one or too steps up from assault(kind of grasping at straws here)?

Damien Granz:

Professor James:

That said and out of the way, I can certainly see rape being a worse crime than identity theft or burglary. Items and shit can be repurchased. You can't cut a check and make physical trauma or psychological trauma just 'go away'. Yes, it can be overcome, but only through the hard work of the victim (and their care providers, loved ones, etc. all working together in some cases).

Assault certainly causes physical trauma. And in some situations it could possibly cause psychological trauma(again, kind of grasping at straws here)? Also maybe if something really sentimental was stolen from you, you might have some psychological trauma(really grasping at straws here)?

Rape is worse because it essentially twists and corrupts something that would otherwise be a source of joy and delight; while betraying trust - note that most rape victims are assaulted by people they know and are close to.

It shatters character, it even shatters reality itself to the victim. That's why it's so bad. I don't care about the physical aspects of it, the physical wounds heal rather fast, no slower than a bruised knee if you trip over something. The scars it leaves on the mind...well, those don't heal fast.

chronobreak:
Of course rape is worse than having some things stolen from you

Purely a matter of opinion and entirely based on the specific situation in each case.

Lil devils x:

There are emotional and physical aspects as well. Children that are born of rape, women and children that have been infected with disease from rape are definately more physical than mental distinctions. Their lives are physically changed forever.

Someone who steals a person's identity might leave them poor and suddenly their children are malformed from malnutrition. That doesn't make the intentions of identity theft any more deplorable than they already are, it's an unexpected consequence.

You don't view the rapist in a worse light because of worst possible consequences; it's already terrible before that.

Damien Granz:

tstorm823:

That's a lot like saying that PTSD is 'all in your head'. Sounds easy to deal with on paper. "Lol, baby, stop imagining horrible things.", but it's not so much.

I'm speaking of the societal perspective, not the damage to the victim, because the original question was of why we consider rape worse than assault or theft.

I was not saying that the emotional nature of the damage made it better on the victim, if anything it made it worse.

Pandalink:

chronobreak:

Purely a matter of opinion and entirely based on the specific situation in each case.

That's a rather bold statement to make. Though I do understand some people are so attached to their material possessions that I can see where you're coming from...

...unfortunately.

Here's a thought: Why don't we just stop talking about what crimes are "worse"? Not only is it unnecessary, it has the potential to be extremely disrespectful to the victims of not only rape, but the victims of torture, assault, and murder, too.

All of these things are bad. It should end there.

However, in an effort to stick to the original question, I'd say that rape is viewed as "worse" because of the taboos that Western society has placed upon sex. Whenever you add the act of sexual intercourse to something, it automatically becomes worse. Or it changes things entirely.

Professor James:

Let's put it simply. You are approached by a man with a gun. Would you rather he force you to the ground and rape you, or just take your wallet?

Arontala:
Here's a thought: Why don't we just stop talking about what crimes are "worse"? Not only is it unnecessary, it has the potential to be extremely disrespectful to the victims of not only rape, but the victims of torture, assault, and murder, too.

All of these things are bad. It should end there.

However, in an effort to stick to the original question, I'd say that rape is viewed as "worse" because of the taboos that Western society has placed upon sex. Whenever you add the act of sexual intercourse to something, it automatically becomes worse. Or it changes things entirely.

The reason I said worse is that more severe crimes get more severe and longer sentences. I'm not trying to argue that rape isn't bad. I just want to have a discussion about rape and other crimes.

ravensheart18:

Professor James:

Let's put it simply. You are approached by a man with a gun. Would you rather he force you to the ground and rape you, or just take your wallet?

Theft is broader then just mugging. And I also mentioned assault.

Vegosiux:

Pandalink:

chronobreak:

That's a rather bold statement to make. Though I do understand some people are so attached to their material possessions that I can see where you're coming from...

...unfortunately.

It's not really so bold- after all, it is our individual responses to the rape events (as well as our communities' responses to rape victims) that characterizes the victims' responses to rape. And it is very possible that what chronobreak said is true in the other direction- that an incidence of rape troubles its victim no more than having something stolen from them.

Just as we should be very careful not to underplay the potential impact of a rape on a rape victim, we should be very careful not to overplay it. For we folk in the peanut gallery, it is not our place to decide how much it should hurt. It's not even the place for one rape victim to tell another. The whole issue is far too personal to make such sweeping statements.

chronobreak:

what?
statutory rape?????

how does statutory rape have anything to do with force?

Professor James:

ravensheart18:

Professor James:

Theft is broader then just mugging. And I also mentioned assault.

Nice ducking. You said "or even theft".

But fine, a man with a gun can beat you up and steal your walet or beat you up and rape you. Your choice is?

Oh, and if you have kids, same situation for your daughter. If you don't have kids, put your mother or sister in the situation.

ravensheart18:

Professor James:

How much is in the wallet?

Professor James:

Rape is seen as worse primarily, I think, because of the significance society, and in turn any victim of rape, puts on sex. If there were no dangerous or inconvenient diseases that could be transmitted through it, terminating a pregnancy was quick, painless, without risk or cost, and universally socially acceptable, and chastity was never valued, then rape would probably be seen as about equal to any other similarly harmful assault. Sexual autonomy would be somewhat less important if those issues were very easily dealt with and there wasn't a general stigma surrounding sexually promiscuous women (or gay men.) It would still be an offense against the person, but it would not be as problematic as it is. Rape is seen as the most complete way to violate a person because that's just how most of us seem to feel about unrequested hard cocks.

Grandcrusader:

chronobreak:

what?
statutory rape?????

how does statutory rape have anything to do with force?

Who said anything about statutory rape? It seems pretty clear this is not what the OP is talking about.

tstorm823:

Lil devils x:

Someone who steals a person's identity might leave them poor and suddenly their children are malformed from malnutrition. That doesn't make the intentions of identity theft any more deplorable than they already are, it's an unexpected consequence.

You don't view the rapist in a worse light because of worst possible consequences; it's already terrible before that.

Damien Granz:

tstorm823:

I'm speaking of the societal perspective, not the damage to the victim, because the original question was of why we consider rape worse than assault or theft.

I was not saying that the emotional nature of the damage made it better on the victim, if anything it made it worse.

In some circumstances, the intended consequence IS forcing a child on a woman. They actively seek to impregnate her. That was very much an intended consequence for thousands of years. It was not until the modern age of birth control and DNA testing did that change. Yes, some men actually fully intend to impregnate the woman, and that is their goal with the rape, and very much a physical consequence. There are actually people who intentionally spread disease as well. Yes, the majority of people find that distrubing and sick, but the majority of people also find rape disturbing and sick.

I'm not easily shocked or offended, but rape is one thing that continually disturbs me and people joking about rape or even just taking it lightly is something that offends me without fail.

I find the suggestion that it's "fairly comparable to assault" quite ignorant. If someone suggests it's on a similar level to assault or theft, I genuinely wonder if they've had any intimate relationships with females. I'm not talking purely sexual, though that's definitely relevant.

This might sound backwards to some people, but if I had to make a choice between murdering someone and raping someone, I would find someone to kill, hands down.

(For anyone who thinks it's relevant, I'm a heterosexual male)

Professor James:

The penal code, passed with democratic legitimacy, have deemed it to be so, by levying significantly harsher sanctions against those who commit it than against thieves and criminals who commit more ordinary violence.

As for the ethics which motivated the democratic majority to institute this, they presumably have to do with rape - for various biological, sociological, and psychological reasons which I doubt am fully clear - tends to leave the victim more distressed than having its wallet stolen or getting beat up[1]

Of course this extreme focus on how bad and scarring rape is will ironically end up making it more scarring for the men and women subjected to it. Weak humans - who tend to be the victims, or who become weak as victims - have a tendency to adopt identity based on the community, being trapped in the role(s) it assigns them. If consistently told - explicitly and implicitly - that they're broken beyond repair, then the weak of them will buckle and conform to that role.

Empathy can be a real bitch. I particular love those people saying that it's "worse than murder", since logically that's an implicit recommendation that all rape victims commit suicide.

[1] This is obviously only the general rule of thumb: Some vulnerable victims might well suffer more emotional damage from a burglary than a hardy victim would from a rape. But those will just have to suck it up, as their weakness is their own.

Imperator_DK:

Professor James:

The penal code, passed with democratic legitimacy, have deemed it to be so, by levying significantly harsher sanctions against those who commit it than against thieves and criminals who commit more ordinary violence.

As for the ethics which motivated the democratic majority to institute this, they presumably have to do with rape - for various biological, sociological, and psychological reasons which I doubt am fully clear - tends to leave the victim more distressed than having its wallet stolen or getting beat up[1]

Of course this extreme focus on how bad and scarring rape is will ironically end up making it more scarring for the men and women subjected to it. Weak humans - who tend to be the victims, or become weak as victims - have a tendency to adopt identity based on what the community, being trapped in the role(s) it assigns them. If consistently told - explicitly and implicitly - that they're broken beyond repair, then the weak of them will buckle and conform to that role.

Empathy can be a real bitch. I particular love those people saying that it's "worse than murder", since logically that's an implicit recommendation that all rape victims commit suicide.

Many who have been raped do think about or have attempted suicide over the rape itself, including myself. Something like 33% contemplate suicide, and 13% attempt it after being raped from what I read. I honestly think that is higher, because most do not even report it or want to talk about it, and holding it in just makes it worse for them.

[1] This is obviously only the general rule of thumb: Some vulnerable victims might well suffer more emotional damage from a burglary than a hardy victim would from a rape. But those will just have to suck it up, as their weakness is their own.

Lil devils x:
Many who have been raped do think about or have attempted suicide over the rape itself, including myself. Something like 33% contemplate suicide, and 13% attempt it after being raped from what I read. I honestly think that is higher, because most do not even report it or want to talk about it, and holding it in just makes it worse for them.

Yeah, but that's not really a reason to say that they are correct, that death would indeed be preferable. What 13 % does is none too representative of the consequences of a crime, even assuming their suicide attempt was only motivated by this crime, and not other factors as well (loneliness, pre-existing depression, financial troubles etc.)

Not that suicide couldn't ever be the rational course of action. A rare few am probably truly broken beyond repair, and will never derive any pleasure from life ever again. But for the vast majority life undoubtedly holds potential still, certainly if people would stop telling them how permanently shattered it is, and categorize them as "rape victims" and nothing else.

Imperator_DK:

Lil devils x:

Yeah, but that's not really a reason to say that they are correct, that death would indeed be preferable. What 13 % does is none too representative of the consequences of a crime, even assuming their suicide attempt was only motivated by this crime, and not other factors as well (loneliness, pre-existing depression, financial troubles etc.)

Not that suicide couldn't ever be the rational course of action. A rare few am probably truly broken beyond repair, and will never derive any pleasure from life ever again. But for the vast majority life undoubtedly holds potential still, certainly if people would stop telling them how permanently shattered it is, and categorize them as "rape victims" and nothing else.

I don't think they are necessarily " broken beyond repair", Though at the time, they may feel like they are. For me, I was a child who thought I was impregnated by the man who raped me, and could not take the life of an unborn child and resorted to drastic measures. That isn't " unrepairable" if the girl has the right support and help to make it through such things. Of course it would have been unrepairable if they had not brought me back from death.

I do not think anyone should tell a rape survivor that their life is ruined. Instead, they need to show them how to move forward. You can't take away what happened, but you can learn how to move forward from that point. I understand what you are saying in regards to "victim mentality", No one wants to feel helpless, to me that is the worst feeling in the world. Rather than tell them there is nothing you can do about it, they should be teaching them what they can do about it. Encouraging and enpowering them to defend themselves, making themselves a stronger person overall. Dwelling on the past is always a bad thing, and it can consume you if you allow it to.

Ever heard the saying

"There are many fates worse than death"

Well, sometimes a wound to the mind is worse than any wound to the body that can heal.

And rape, is a deep, deep psychological wound.

Lil devils x:
I don't think they are necessarily " broken beyond repair", Though at the time, they may feel like they are. For me, I was a child who thought I was impregnated by the man who raped me, and could not take the life of an unborn child and resorted to drastic measures. That isn't " unrepairable" if the girl has the right support and help to make it through such things. Of course it would have been unrepairable if they had not brought me back from death.

Well, but sometimes there will be no one to help them, and no support from the state to be had (...or if we get far enough away from all civility and decency, it'll even punish rape victims for adultery). In those hopeless cases, it might be rational for a rare few to end their existence, if they are incapable of surmounting the challenge on their own.

I do not think anyone should tell a rape survivor that their life is ruined. Instead, they need to show them how to move forward. You can't take away what happened, but you can learn how to move forward from that point. I understand what you are saying in regards to "victim mentality", No one wants to feel helpless, to me that is the worst feeling in the world. Rather than tell them there is nothing you can do about it, they should be teaching them what they can do about it. Encouraging and enpowering them to defend themselves, making themselves a stronger person overall. Dwelling on the past is always a bad thing, and it can consume you if you allow it to.

Seems we are in perfect agreement on what should be done for them then.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked