Here we go again, Fox Scum

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So, according to Fox:
Streets in Russia ablaze with security forces marching in to gain control.

The reality:
Relatively peaceful protests in Russia... with the "Security Forces" beating them to a pulp.

While the rest of the report is obviously a bit slanted in favor of Russia the key thing I take from this is the comment:
"The sloppiness of it all is reflecting the lack of awareness of the journalists themselves many of them are completely uninformed about the world they have opinions that have no factual basis to them but it doesn't stop them because its what looks good that matters more than what really is true"

That is damn true... how many times do you think these people aren't just reading fucking scripts?

The BBC journalists as I have seen a few at the Cheltenham literature festival all immensely intelligent and they are lower down the chain, and the key news readers are easily best them on many occasions xD

America... scripts... just all fucking scripts >.> If they actually do the reporting themselves then they must all with few exceptions get to their positions through sexual favors.

Russia Today has a vibe of the BBC's reporting but slightly bias.

Al-Jazeera is just in my opinion the first class in world reporting. They report it all, they take no real sides. They don't give a shit about their field staff therefore war zones and "off-limit" zones get converge ie Syria, Libya... Iran.

Anyway, its just been a while since the last Fox thread >.>
Please share any examples of sloppy reporting, or out right lies made by news outlets. Not just Fox but everyone!

I like this recent Fox chart. Can anyone spot the mistake?

for sloppy reporting from the British side one just has to look at the tabloid stands on any given day of the year but it's so hard to pick just one.

To be honest not being an american i can't comment on the media there (though from what i've seen what they call "news" i call "propaganda") but over here i can't truly complain, sure a bit of bias here and there but overall not so willing to join a bandwagon or spread factually wrong "news".

brotherofaguy:

for sloppy reporting from the British side one just has to look at the tabloid stands on any given day of the year but it's so hard to pick just one.

HA, that's hilarious XD

brotherofaguy:

Sloppy or intentionally misleading?

Vegosiux:

Innocent until proven guilty, but I wouldn't be surprised by the latter one bit. Showing where 8.6 should have been on the graph would have given an appearance FOX wouldn't have liked.

Anyway, the other doesn't surprise me either. Throw it on the "No news organization should ever be taken at its word" evidence pile.

brotherofaguy:

Total guess about that graph:
Is it that the graph at the end doesn't go down to the lowest point at 8.6% but stays equal at 9%... just so at a glance people are deceived?

Oh the Tabloids are dreadful... but we currently have select committees who are assessing them, their code of conducts and their ethics... so the bell tolls for the daily mail being openly racist xD

brotherofaguy:

FOX NEWS! "Fair & Balanced"

Yeah right... at least they didn't write 'Osama' instead of Obama... again

Vegosiux:

I'm going with it being intentional. Just like that time the on-screen graphic rounded 8.6% up to 9%.

Is anyone surprised? I mean I trust the media very little anyway, but Fox is the worst offender when it comes to this sort of thing.

Definitely intentional. It's a very, very consistent picture with them.

Comando96:

brotherofaguy:

Is it that the graph at the end doesn't go down to the lowest point at 8.6% but stays equal at 9%... just so at a glance people are deceived?

Oh the Tabloids are dreadful... but we currently have select committees who are assessing them, their code of conducts and their ethics... so the bell tolls for the daily mail being openly racist xD

It is not just the 8.6%, the entire graph is out of whack. This is what it should look like.

I would almost be willing to buy that the misrepresentation of the Russian protests was intentional, but not so much a statement on Russian politics as it is a way to drum up page views with sensationalism. I saw the exact same thing with the 3/11 earthquake/tsunami/Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant disaster.

But the unemployment chart, that's pure pants-on-fire lying. Frankly, it's a bit extreme even for FOX. I mean, yeah, I know they're nothing but a propaganda vehicle for the right, but to have the errors so blatant, it really shows they have absolutely no respect for the intelligence of their audience. They may as well just replace it with a giant photo of an extended middle finger, captioned, "Shut up and vote against Obama already."

pyrate:

Comando96:

brotherofaguy:

It is not just the 8.6%, the entire graph is out of whack. This is what it should look like.

I'm not surprised. Most people at Fox News are like the people that watch Fox News... basic math is a luxury, not a necessity.

I lived for a while with someone who went on to be an RT presenter. I have to say they were extremely intelligent and motivated and worked very hard, so that naturally colours my opinion (obviously, I can't say what the journalistic practice is like). Still, from what little I know BBC presenters are in a class of their own in this regard.

The RT story above is an opinion piece in many ways, but it is clearly sourced and the sources actually appears on camera. So I don't think it's necessarily manipulative. It's not like Fox has no chance to respond.

Actually, the thing that really bugs me about British commercial journalism is that there's no legal obligation to name sources, so you can effectively make it up.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
I'm not surprised. Most people at Fox News are like the people that watch Fox News... basic math is a luxury, not a necessity.

The frustrating thing about comments like this is that it makes me want to defend Fox News, which is so obviously undeserving of defense in this circumstance. That's either an inexcusably negligent error or it's an intentional misrepresentation. Given the rest of the graph, I have to lean toward intentional misrepresentation. But taking the opportunity to insult everyone who watches Fox News just for watching it is unnecessary and just distracts from the real problem there at Fox News.

Agitated Owl:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

The frustrating thing about comments like this is that it makes me want to defend Fox News, which is so obviously undeserving of defense in this circumstance. That's either an inexcusably negligent error or it's an intentional misrepresentation. Given the rest of the graph, I have to lean toward intentional misrepresentation. But taking the opportunity to insult everyone who watches Fox News just for watching it is unnecessary and just distracts from the real problem there at Fox News.

People who regularly watch Fox News are among the least informed about political information. It's not unnecessary when its true.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/21/news/la-pn-fox-news-poll-20111121

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Agitated Owl:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

People who regularly watch Fox News are among the least informed about political information. It's not unnecessary when its true.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/21/news/la-pn-fox-news-poll-20111121

I never find it necessary to insult people. In this situation, all it accomplishes is to make Fox News and its audience one team, thereby making it more difficult to criticize Fox News without putting its audience in a defensive stance, which in turn makes it more difficult to effectively critique Fox News.

And that survey says that 49% of Fox News viewers in New Jersey correctly answered a question regarding the unrest in Egypt, while 68% of NPR listeners answered the question correctly. Also, according to the article, "it seems Jon Stewart may be more reliable than cable news anchors. On Occupy Wall Street, the survey found viewers of "The Daily Show" were 12 percentage points more likely to say protesters were predominantly Democratic. MSNBC viewers were the most likely to say the protesters were mainly Republicans." And yet the article is entitled "Fox News viewers less informed about current events, poll shows." I wouldn't go to the LA Times for unbiased reporting any more than I would Fox News.

Man. Fuck FOX so hard. I know someone who watches this shit news channel religiously, and I can't wait to tell him about this.

Agitated Owl:
I wouldn't go to the LA Times for unbiased reporting any more than I would Fox News.

The LA Times is the 3rd largest newspaper in the country, has won several awards for journalistic excellence, and you would claim that they have the same bias as a network that OPENLY LIES?

Right...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Agitated Owl:
I wouldn't go to the LA Times for unbiased reporting any more than I would Fox News.

The LA Times is the 3rd largest newspaper in the country, has won several awards for journalistic excellence, and you would claim that they have the same bias as a network that OPENLY LIES?

Right...

A careful reading of that LA Times article reveals an obvious bias. Is it the same as Fox News? Probably not, but I honestly don't know. I don't read the LA Times. My point was that it wasn't particularly strong evidence in support of anything. And even if it was, that's entirely beside the underlying point I was trying to make: insults are counterproductive.

If you think it's only FoxNews, you'll believe anything else. All media outlets are corrupt. Conservatives like Fox, liberals like MSNBC. They're all whores for attention, and will ruin our society.

Hop-along Nussbaum:
If you think it's only FoxNews, you'll believe anything else. All media outlets are corrupt. Conservatives like Fox, liberals like MSNBC. They're all whores for attention, and will ruin our society.

Ah, everybody may have their biases, but there are definitely different degrees. And frankly I don't buy into the argument that MSNBC is equivalent in any way to Fox News.

Hop-along Nussbaum:

Large difference between bias and lies. Bias shows favoritism to a certain view point. But lying is using intentionally incorrect information to prove your bias.

Hop-along Nussbaum:

Speak for yourself would you? There's plenty of quality media where I am from. We even have a right wing opinion magazine whose reputation is on par with many newspapers. They write opinion, but if they present something as fact, it is fact. One thing they never do is take an opinion that's untrue and say 'This is fact'. And that's saying something, considering they even flirt with extreme groups like climate change deniers.

All media being biased or worse seems to be more an American problem.

Blablahb:

Hop-along Nussbaum:

Speak for yourself would you? There's plenty of quality media where I am from. We even have a right wing opinion magazine whose reputation is on par with many newspapers. They write opinion, but if they present something as fact, it is fact. One thing they never do is take an opinion that's untrue and say 'This is fact'. And that's saying something, considering they even flirt with extreme groups like climate change deniers.

All media being biased or worse seems to be more an American problem.

What is the name of this opinion magazine? Biased media certainly is a problem in America, and I'm always interested in new potential sources of relatively unbiased news coverage.

hehe

i'm not surprised but i think their ( the reporters in the video) are giving Fox news WAY to much credit, they say that under the assumption the people working there aren't idiots and fallowing some kinda of agenda, when in reality, their just stupid

The daily show has called them out many times on bullshitting. They even did this with elections using footage that was clearly not at the right time period just by having a look at the backgrounds. Hm, fall leaves but then green leaves next scene? Amazing Fox you unbias bastards.

Lilani:

Innocent until proven guilty

That's for the courts. We are not held to such standards.

Nor is it really wrong to suspect the motives of someone who has repeatedly lied to you.

I know you said you wouldn't be surprised if they were intentionally misleading, but the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" really has no place here.

Hop-along Nussbaum:

Yay false equivalence fallacy!

And "lol" at the notion of MSNBC being "liberal."

Comando96:

Al-Jazeera is just in my opinion the first class in world reporting. They report it all, they take no real sides. They don't give a shit about their field staff therefore war zones and "off-limit" zones get converge ie Syria, Libya... Iran.

Please share any examples of sloppy reporting, or out right lies made by news outlets. Not just Fox but everyone!

no, just no Al-Jazeera is MASSIVELY biased just like most news outlets, and they most definitively take sides.
OT: most other "news" station are just as bad there are no truly "unbiased" news stations. the one people like is the one that agrees with them the most, and I for one hate the nonstop fawning over the Obamachrist that goes on on the left leaning news stations so I wont watch them, but I don't claim Fox is anything resembling unbiased

Snotnarok:
The daily show has called them out many times on bullshitting. They even did this with elections using footage that was clearly not at the right time period just by having a look at the backgrounds. Hm, fall leaves but then green leaves next scene? Amazing Fox you unbias bastards.

I liked the one they did where Fox had used a year+ old clip to call out the Daily Show that involved Sam Bee, now pregnant. Verry subtle difference but if you look clooooooose....

Everyone is biased, some us are just biased in favor of the TRUTH.

Fox news is certainly not journalism, it's not propaganda since it doesn't influence anyone's beliefs. It's really just about entertaining their audience by reinforcing the opinions they already have.

We just have to accept they have a lot more in common with bloggers and comedy programs than they do with journalism. They shouldn't be held to journalistic standards because they aren't even pretending to try to be journalists.

Comando96:

So, according to Fox:
Streets in Russia ablaze with security forces marching in to gain control.

The reality:
Relatively peaceful protests in Russia... with the "Security Forces" beating them to a pulp.

While the rest of the report is obviously a bit slanted in favor of Russia the key thing I take from this is the comment:
"The sloppiness of it all is reflecting the lack of awareness of the journalists themselves many of them are completely uninformed about the world they have opinions that have no factual basis to them but it doesn't stop them because its what looks good that matters more than what really is true"

That is damn true... how many times do you think these people aren't just reading fucking scripts?

The BBC journalists as I have seen a few at the Cheltenham literature festival all immensely intelligent and they are lower down the chain, and the key news readers are easily best them on many occasions xD

America... scripts... just all fucking scripts >.> If they actually do the reporting themselves then they must all with few exceptions get to their positions through sexual favors.

Russia Today has a vibe of the BBC's reporting but slightly bias.

Honestly? this is just weak.

Fox gets called out on this stuff way more for some reason, but when you look at similar mistakes at other news stations, you'd think that all journalists are absolute idiots who never even took a basic english course - much less a course on journalistic editing.

I'm not an apologist for Fox... just a guy who is absolutely baffled at the fact people think it's JUST Fox..... >.>

major_chaos:

Comando96:

no, just no Al-Jazeera is MASSIVELY biased just like most news outlets, and they most definitively take sides.
OT: most other "news" station are just as bad there are no truly "unbiased" news stations. the one people like is the one that agrees with them the most, and I for one hate the nonstop fawning over the Obamachrist that goes on on the left leaning news stations so I wont watch them, but I don't claim Fox is anything resembling unbiased

Everyone is bias. Only one outright lies on a regular basis.

Hint: It's not Al-Jazeera

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked