Here we go again, Fox Scum

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Watch the documentary "Media Malpractice." It explains how, ironically, almost every American news station except Fox broadcasted nothing but propaganda and got the stupid, stupid public to vote for Obama. Cain 2012.

The reason I don't often watch Fox (or listen to Rush Limbaugh) despite being a conservative is the same reason I don't often listen to the more liberal programs unless I listen to both: they are only presenting one side of their argument (or presenting the other as intentionally weaker). The lovely thing about the internet is that it enables people to read several articles from several sites on a subject, decide which fits with their veiwpoint and assimilate facts from them all, and move on. It's the opinion shows that call themselves news that bother me far more than the even more out there programs that at least admit that they are biased. Stewart and Colbert are hardly unbiased, but the fact that they admit that they don't present the news, but rather comedy sketches based on the day's headlines makes them far more watchable than a lot of other "news-talk" programs.

OT: If you want another example of ridiculously sloppy reporting, "El Rushbo" recently attacked Obama for sending troops to help root out the Lord's Resistance Army... He apparently only bothered to look up the information on the group's website, which paints them as a holy, Christian organization of warriors fighting for freedom and their religious ideals. It seems he didn't bother to look up their war crimes laundry list, which includes genocide, rape, kidnapping, sexual enslavement, recruiting child soldiers, torture, mutilaion, and quite a lot more. Yeeesh. While he most definately runs a talk program and not a news program, there are just certain standards of what you must do when you decide to report on something, becasue there is someone in your audience who WILL believe you.

Deathmageddon:
Watch the documentary "Media Malpractice." It explains how, ironically, almost every American news station except Fox broadcasted nothing but propaganda and got the stupid, stupid public to vote for Obama. Cain 2012.

You do know that it is made by a conservative talk show host that is even worst than Fox right? The man believes that Tiger Woods is the best example of intelligent design.

Obama did not get elected because of the media, he was elected because he was against a 72 year old who chose an incompetent VP.

The good stuff starts at 2 min 30 seconds.

I know Glenn Beck weren't employed by Fox News anymore at the moment of his bigoted Ut°ya remark, but it seems they more or less foster that type of person...

Furthermore, Fox News isn't journalism, it's more like a mixture of a sermon and entertainment. They say what their target audience want to hear, and then pick together what proof they can to support it. It's a big business, and they are nothing if not happy to give the audience what they want, not what they could need.

Mimsofthedawg:
Honestly? this is just weak.

Fox gets called out on this stuff way more for some reason, but when you look at similar mistakes at other news stations, you'd think that all journalists are absolute idiots who never even took a basic english course - much less a course on journalistic editing.

I'm not an apologist for Fox... just a guy who is absolutely baffled at the fact people think it's JUST Fox..... >.>

Studies by PIPA, Stanford, Pew etc all consistently find FOX viewers to be the most misinformed of all the networks.

The 2003 PIPA study reported 80% of FOX viewers held at least one of 3 major misconceptions about the war in Iraq, compared with 23% NPR / PBS viewers.

"Among those who primarily watch Fox, those who pay more attention are more likely to have misperceptions."

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/IraqMedia_Oct03/IraqMedia_Oct03_pr.pdf

Skeleon:
You simply assume that it is because I stated my conclusion.

Look who is doing the assuming. Consistent and objective observation would show that MSNBC hosts are every bit as capable of lying their asses off. Combine that with the fact that Fox News has a habit of getting crucified by conspiracy theories revolving around every typo that appears in their news bar or graphic that somebody botched, and a considerably different picture emerges.

This thread is a perfect case in point: look at all the people who automatically assume this was nefarious, precisely because it supports their view that Fox is nefarious by default. And this is the second time in the last week I've stumbled across a thread of this sort, the other being that a FNC citation mistakenly referenced the US Constitution instead of the US Code, coming to the "obvious" conclusion that Fox News fabricates the Constitution to deliberately mislead people on legal matters.

One of the earlier posters stated it very well: there's plenty of criticism to be had without putting rational people in the uncomfortable position of having to speak up against irrational accusations.

TheSchaef:

One of the earlier posters stated it very well: there's plenty of criticism to be had without putting rational people in the uncomfortable position of having to speak up against irrational accusations.

The accusation that Fox used the footage from Greece on purpose, with the intent to mislead, is anything but irrational.

Agitated Owl:
What is the name of this opinion magazine? Biased media certainly is a problem in America, and I'm always interested in new potential sources of relatively unbiased news coverage.

It's called Elsevier, after the publishing company behind it Reed-Elsevier. But it may not be much use to you, as it's in Dutch. Some of the things thet say are going way too far for me, and I really dislike some of their column writers, but at the same time, what they say is fact, is fact, and one has to admire an opinion magazine that can actually have a journalistic reputation.

TheDarkEricDraven:
Man. Fuck FOX so hard. I know someone who watches this shit news channel religiously, and I can't wait to tell him about this.

Fucking signed.
Please let us, or at least me, know how that discussion goes. I'd love to hear about it.

Although I have to once again laugh hard at FOX it seems clear to me that this RT channel (Whatever that is) also is following an agenda.

Ulquiorra4sama:
Nope, but that wasn't really what the debate seemed to be about anymore. Willfully misleading? Yes. But people were talking about media as a whole and how you can't trust any of it, which seemed to at some point have been a surprise to many. FOX is probably the least credible source of information on the planet, even less than mayan calendars *nudge, nudge. wink, wink*

So you were knocking down a completely different strawman. My bad!

But yeah, i really thought there was a law that could force your network down if you pulled the kind of shit they did there, because as it goes i believe the whole news industry's (official) policy is something about telling the truth when it happens, how it happens etc... (their un-official policy is a debate for another time though)

Fox sued for the right to lie and won* so they don't have to worry about truth.

*In actually, they appealed for the right to lie on the basis that they had no obligation to the truth, in a lawsuit where a couple journalists were fired for not wanting to willingly lie on the air at a Fox affiliate. The appeal sided with Fox News. This decision has the same end result, but doesn't sound as catchy and so gets swept under the rug. They're still able to call themselves Fox News, even though they argued they weren't really a news network.

This last paragraph is frequently ignored by Fox News fans, not to mention people who try and pretend that Fox is somehow on par with other news networks. Not only does Fox lie above and beyond, but they actually appealed for the right to legally do so.

All News stations use out of context footage (and some besides Fox have and will again use "fake" footage) to get ratings. They don't care about objectivity anymore.
I was watching Norm McDonald's stand-up the other day, and while I hate to use comedy as a sourcing tool for good quotes, he had a great point. Growing up, there was 3 1/2 hour segments of news on each station that carried a news program. And they couldn't fill them with ACTUAL news.
Now we have 24/7 news stations and they are full of disinformation, sensationalism and BULLSHIT.

What happened to Walter Kronkite and objective unbiased journalism?

People saying other stations are just as bad... no. They're not. Certainly all news is going to be biased depending on both the people reporting it and the network said reporting is being done for, but to compare simply being biased to what Fox News does, which is more commonly know as "lying", is just untrue.

And the "innocent until proven guilty" thing only works the first few times someone blatantly bullshits you and gets called on it. By now it's kind of accepted that if there are any factual discrepancies on Fox News in its reporting, they're put there on purpose.

I can't say I blame them at this point. When your loyal audience genuinely believes Obama is a communist Muslim or that Russia and China are just itching to launch a full-scale invasion of America there really is only so much you can do if you want to keep that audience for your ratings' sake.

Oh you people and all this geographic silliness, it's simple, you got America and non-America, noone cares what those non-Americas are called cuz they all evil anyway.

ReservoirAngel:
People saying other stations are just as bad... no. They're not. Certainly all news is going to be biased depending on both the people reporting it and the network said reporting is being done for, but to compare simply being biased to what Fox News does, which is more commonly know as "lying", is just untrue.

And the "innocent until proven guilty" thing only works the first few times someone blatantly bullshits you and gets called on it. By now it's kind of accepted that if there are any factual discrepancies on Fox News in its reporting, they're put there on purpose.

I can't say I blame them at this point. When your loyal audience genuinely believes Obama is a communist Muslim or that Russia and China are just itching to launch a full-scale invasion of America there really is only so much you can do if you want to keep that audience for your ratings' sake.

I disagree. The media in the US is a joke. They all LIE. Not just Biased, but outright LIE. My list of the worst media in the US in regards to lying is this:
CNN
Fox
ABC
CBS
NBC
I actually think out of those top 5 NBC lies less than the others, not saying they don;t lie, but just not near as much as CNN or Fox. I usually like Aljazeera or BBC, though they too are biased, not so much liars though. As for US news PBS is far more accurate than most others.
The worst are their retracting stories after the fact. When they have a huge front page story that is a complete lie, then when they are called on it they make a tiny little box that states "this was incorrect" LOL.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Mimsofthedawg:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

This wasn't a mistake. It was either

A) A failure of basic math skills (doubtful)
B) Blatant information manipulation (LYING)

Wait what? I don't get what you're saying... who said anything about math?

No no... what does my post, the OP, or the embedded video have to do with math?

Everything else I just sigh about... You are sadly the only people being manipulated here...

Right... feel free to ignore the graph that was re-posted about 6 times. Here let me go grab it for you...

brotherofaguy:
I like this recent Fox chart. Can anyone spot the mistake?

for sloppy reporting from the British side one just has to look at the tabloid stands on any given day of the year but it's so hard to pick just one.

I'm talking about THAT incredibly misleading graph.

And therefore you quoted me because...???

Did I miss "Quoting Random People Without Referencing Their Posts" Day or something?

Deathmageddon:

You do know that Cain has dropped out of the race, right?

TechNoFear:

Mimsofthedawg:

Fox gets called out on this stuff way more for some reason, but when you look at similar mistakes at other news stations, you'd think that all journalists are absolute idiots who never even took a basic english course - much less a course on journalistic editing.

I'm not an apologist for Fox... just a guy who is absolutely baffled at the fact people think it's JUST Fox..... >.>

Studies by PIPA, Stanford, Pew etc all consistently find FOX viewers to be the most misinformed of all the networks.

The 2003 PIPA study reported 80% of FOX viewers held at least one of 3 major misconceptions about the war in Iraq, compared with 23% NPR / PBS viewers.

"Among those who primarily watch Fox, those who pay more attention are more likely to have misperceptions."

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/IraqMedia_Oct03/IraqMedia_Oct03_pr.pdf

I don't find those statistics relevant. I wasn't talking about how "informed" the audience was. I said that mistakes happen. My comment referring to "this is weak" wasn't in defense of Fox, but more of "Of all the thing you could say, 'HAH! HERE IT IS! HERE'S THE EVIDENCE WE'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT FOX IS JUST A TOOL OF THE RIGHT WING, FACIST, BIGOT, ANTI-GAY MACHINE!' you picked THIS?! This shit happens all the time - it hardly points to some dark, underlying agenda by a news network anymore than a waiter getting your order wrong points to him trying to poison you."

Nevermind the fact that I COULD look for my own statistics... but... A. I hate statistics - they're silly little things that can be used by anyone in anyway to prove useless "facts" supporting their agenda's. B. I don't come on here to "win" arguments - just discuss important topics.

Isn't this illegal in some way?

Jegsimmons:
seriously people, get over it, all media companies are scum and bias, even the daily show and colbert report. and yes they are comedians, but so is this guy:

just as biased, and just as funny, just for the different side.

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with that. I've watch his show. The guy couldn't tell a joke to save his life. All he's got going for him are snide insults at anyone who doesn't share his POV.

And that old meme that the Daily Show is biased really needs to be let go. The Daily Show is not biased. As Stewart has shown us time and time again, he lampoons the things in the news that are ridiculous. He would be totally happy to make his show completely a-political, spending all his time making fun of weather reporters standing in the rain covering hurricanes. And for a long time, his show was like that.

But he goes after whatever is ridiculous, and right now the politics in the US is consistently ridiculous. And Republicans/conservatives are especially ridiculous. Perhaps if they don't like being made fun of on late-night TV, they should stop doing things that warrant them being made fun of on late night TV.

CriticKitten:
To those saying "all media lies!"....I believe that this Daily Show video (quoting Politifact, in fact) is relevant here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements

This.

The Daily show is awesome. :D

Politifact is a really nice bunch, and I have quite the confidence in their statements.

Of course most media is biased. Fox just sort of overdoes it a bit. Which frankly, is nothing new. Fox doing stupid stuff is hardly surprising anymore.

Tomeran:

CriticKitten:
To those saying "all media lies!"....I believe that this Daily Show video (quoting Politifact, in fact) is relevant here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements

This.

The Daily show is awesome. :D

Politifact is a really nice bunch, and I have quite the confidence in their statements.

Of course most media is biased. Fox just sort of overdoes it a bit. Which frankly, is nothing new. Fox doing stupid stuff is hardly surprising anymore.

Yea, the Daily Show didn't just mock Fox news. here they go after CNN as well. LOL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/13/daily-show-destroys-cnn-f_n_318295.html

YES, US media LIES.

TheSchaef:
Look who is doing the assuming.

Well. I said that, while MSNBC may certainly have its biases, they come nowhere near to Fox News' biases. You immediately jump to me having confirmation bias without asking me even a single question about why I hold the position that I do or any evidence that may be the basis of it.

See, you hold this view:

Consistent and objective observation would show that MSNBC hosts are every bit as capable of lying their asses off.

And since what I said disagrees with this view of yours, I must have fallen to confirmation bias. From your earlier post, you did not even entertain any other possibility and certainly not the possibility that your current view might be objectively off itself.
So, I'd recommend you look into your own biases first before talking to people about theirs.

RT is quite good, as is the BBC, thing is, I can't say anything about Al-Jezeera, as I haven't actually watched it, but from what I hear, they're excellent.

Fox News can go fuck itself.

Mimsofthedawg:

Comando96:

So, according to Fox:
Streets in Russia ablaze with security forces marching in to gain control.

The reality:
Relatively peaceful protests in Russia... with the "Security Forces" beating them to a pulp.

While the rest of the report is obviously a bit slanted in favor of Russia the key thing I take from this is the comment:
"The sloppiness of it all is reflecting the lack of awareness of the journalists themselves many of them are completely uninformed about the world they have opinions that have no factual basis to them but it doesn't stop them because its what looks good that matters more than what really is true"

That is damn true... how many times do you think these people aren't just reading fucking scripts?

The BBC journalists as I have seen a few at the Cheltenham literature festival all immensely intelligent and they are lower down the chain, and the key news readers are easily best them on many occasions xD

America... scripts... just all fucking scripts >.> If they actually do the reporting themselves then they must all with few exceptions get to their positions through sexual favors.

Russia Today has a vibe of the BBC's reporting but slightly bias.

Al-Jazeera is just in my opinion the first class in world reporting. They report it all, they take no real sides. They don't give a shit about their field staff therefore war zones and "off-limit" zones get converge ie Syria, Libya... Iran.

Anyway, its just been a while since the last Fox thread >.>
Please share any examples of sloppy reporting, or out right lies made by news outlets. Not just Fox but everyone!

it's not JUST fox, it's that Fox does it more and does it worse than any other media outlet. that is, now that Pravda is out of print.

FOX viewers are more uninformed than people who don't watch the news at all. It's sad, really, but Rupert Murdoch slants the news in the direction he wants it to face and presents it as if it's fact. They literally lie on air. It's sickening.

YesIPlayTheBagpipes:

Mimsofthedawg:

Comando96:

So, according to Fox:
Streets in Russia ablaze with security forces marching in to gain control.

The reality:
Relatively peaceful protests in Russia... with the "Security Forces" beating them to a pulp.

While the rest of the report is obviously a bit slanted in favor of Russia the key thing I take from this is the comment:
"The sloppiness of it all is reflecting the lack of awareness of the journalists themselves many of them are completely uninformed about the world they have opinions that have no factual basis to them but it doesn't stop them because its what looks good that matters more than what really is true"

That is damn true... how many times do you think these people aren't just reading fucking scripts?

The BBC journalists as I have seen a few at the Cheltenham literature festival all immensely intelligent and they are lower down the chain, and the key news readers are easily best them on many occasions xD

America... scripts... just all fucking scripts >.> If they actually do the reporting themselves then they must all with few exceptions get to their positions through sexual favors.

Russia Today has a vibe of the BBC's reporting but slightly bias.

Al-Jazeera is just in my opinion the first class in world reporting. They report it all, they take no real sides. They don't give a shit about their field staff therefore war zones and "off-limit" zones get converge ie Syria, Libya... Iran.

Anyway, its just been a while since the last Fox thread >.>
Please share any examples of sloppy reporting, or out right lies made by news outlets. Not just Fox but everyone!

it's not JUST fox, it's that Fox does it more and does it worse than any other media outlet. that is, now that Pravda is out of print.

I think that title goes to CNN. Politifact according to Jon Stewart deemed his statement avout Fox news false, and that actually in some polls his viewers were more misinformed than fox viewers. CNN is really bad though, even the daily show ripped them on that as well. I think Fox takes 2nd to CNN. TBH I am not sure why anyone watches any of them. The only tv I watch is usually the discovery channel, History channel, food network, and PBS the rest is garbage anyhow. :P

Lil devils x:

YesIPlayTheBagpipes:

Mimsofthedawg:

I think that title goes to CNN. Politifact according to Jon Stewart deemed his statement avout Fox news false, and that actually in some polls his viewers were more misinformed than fox viewers. CNN is really bad though, even the daily show ripped them on that as well. I think Fox takes 2nd to CNN. TBH I am not sure why anyone watches any of them. The only tv I watch is usually the discovery channel, History channel, food network, and PBS the rest is garbage anyhow. :P

i'm british, so don't know much about CNN but i do think that it is near impossible to be worse than Fox News in terms of bias, unprofessionalism, factual inaccuracy and, alot of the time, sheer stupidity, without breaking some kind of law. I only watch BBC News, read The Times, The Scotsman, Time and The Week and listen to BBC radio stations. But I'm on reddit a fair amount of time too.

I must admit i rarely watch CNN (usually only when on holiday in a country where it's the only channel in a language i understand) but i've never spotted any blatant lies, but than again. I'm fairly certain i could say the same about Fox if i would have only watched a copy of random news reports.

Skeleon:
Well. I said that, while MSNBC may certainly have its biases, they come nowhere near to Fox News' biases.

What you said was that there was zero equivalence IN ANY WAY (emphasis yours) between them; I don't draw a strong correlation between that statement and this one. Also, given that people are up in arms about a chart not being drawn correctly (never mind that the actual numbers are in large type directly above), and that you refuse to accept that MSNBC hosts tell anything other than the truth, then it's not difficult to see where a rational mind would not set the two stations so far apart.

See, you hold this view:

Consistent and objective observation would show that MSNBC hosts are every bit as capable of lying their asses off.

And since what I said disagrees with this view of yours, I must have fallen to confirmation bias... you did not even entertain... the possibility that your current view might be objectively off itself.

That's because my view IS objective, in a comparative sense.

Although Politifact seems given to selection bias in its reporting, I'm willing to use it in compromise if you stipulate that it can be used as a common source. If you look up their entries on Ed Schulz, Rachel Maddow, Laurence O'Donnell and Al Sharpton, you will find that taking all of these hosts together, you find two statements that are counted as true. TWO. And one of them is a basic demographic fact about where citizens live in proximity to nuclear power plants. Thus, I am not saying that MSNBC hosts lie only because I disagree with them philosophically; it is a statement supported by fact.

So, I'd recommend you look into your own biases first before talking to people about theirs.

I have. I'm not the one making one-sided claims here, and if you're reading my posts at all for anything other than sifting for contradiction fodder, you'll see that I'm not giving FNC any more credit than to say some of the accusations against them are kind of stupid when one stops and thinks about what one is saying. Call it damning with faint praise, if you will.

TheSchaef:
What you said was that there was zero equivalence IN ANY WAY (emphasis yours) between them; I don't draw a strong correlation between that statement and this one. Also, given that people are up in arms about a chart not being drawn correctly (never mind that the actual numbers are in large type directly above), and that you refuse to accept that MSNBC hosts tell anything other than the truth, then it's not difficult to see where a rational mind would not set the two stations so far apart.

Bolded mine.
See, now you're just lying. I clearly stated that I believe MSNBC to have its biases. What I disagreed to was the false equivalency of the degree of bias between FNC and MSNBC. You were closer with the first sentence of that paragraph.
Frankly, I'm done with this. I don't need somebody to twist my words around to fit their preconceived notions and then attack the strawman.

Skeleon:
See, now you're just lying.

I don't lie; I see no benefit to be gained from anything other than being direct and honest to the greatest extent possible. Perhaps you can point me to a statement I made based on something I knew to be untrue?

You said they were not equivalent IN ANY WAY. You took exception to my observation that MSNBC hosts lie in their broadcasts. You continue to regard any equivalence as "false". I can directly cite a quote from you stating each of these three claims, which precludes the need for any so-called "preconceived notions" (twice now that you have accused me of something that is not present anywhere in my words).

For my part, I have made observations that defy your conclusions, and when you chose instead to question my own objectivity, I supported it with facts from a source I don't consider favorable to my viewpoint. In doing so, I have shown a moderate degree of equivalence. Get defensive all you want but it's really that simple.

TheSchaef:
Perhaps you can point me to a statement I made based on something I knew to be untrue?

I bolded it earlier. Right here:

...that you refuse to accept that MSNBC hosts tell anything other than the truth...

And now we can add this:

You took exception to my observation that MSNBC hosts lie in their broadcasts.

I never said either of those things. On the contrary, I agreed that MSNBC has its biases.

You continue to regard any equivalence as "false".

Yup. As I said, it's about degrees. And while MSNBC has its bias, the degree of bias is not equivalent to the degree of FNC.

I can directly cite a quote from you stating each of these three claims,...

Please do, specifically for the one where I supposedly said that MSNBC has no bias and its hosts never lie.

(twice now that you have accused me of something that is not present anywhere in my words)

Ironic, considering the way you misrepresented and continue to misrepresent what I said.

Kitsuna10060:
hehe

i'm not surprised but i think their ( the reporters in the video) are giving Fox news WAY to much credit, they say that under the assumption the people working there aren't idiots and fallowing some kinda of agenda, when in reality, their just stupid

The irony is strong in this post.

Lil devils x:

ReservoirAngel:

I disagree. The media in the US is a joke. They all LIE. Not just Biased, but outright LIE. My list of the worst media in the US in regards to lying is this:
CNN
Fox
ABC
CBS
NBC
I actually think out of those top 5 NBC lies less than the others, not saying they don;t lie, but just not near as much as CNN or Fox. I usually like Aljazeera or BBC, though they too are biased, not so much liars though. As for US news PBS is far more accurate than most others.
The worst are their retracting stories after the fact. When they have a huge front page story that is a complete lie, then when they are called on it they make a tiny little box that states "this was incorrect" LOL.

Read my earlier post. Politifact tracks every statement made by politicians and news agencies. CNN lies about 11% of the time. MSNBC 17%. FOX... 46%. With the biggest offender being Glenn Beck, who was found to be inaccurate in over 75% of his stories on Fox News.

LARGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 11% and 46%

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked