1.3% (8)
1.3% (8)
Other
20.3% (130)
20.3% (130)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What religion are you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

I think the term for someone who practices Hinduism is a Hindu, not a Hinduist.

keiskay:

Rkiver:
I am an atheist. However atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of a belief in a deity. Nothing more.

here is the definition of religion: a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

and another:
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

so in the broadest definition of religion atheism is a religion. sorry to inform but believing or not believing in a god or gods has nothing to do with religion. you can be atheist Buddhist ifyou wanted to, it does not go against Buddhist practices or beliefs.

i voted other since other Christians refuse to view my church as a Christian church since we allow scientific knowledge and we are trithesitic since we believe that god, Jesus and the holy ghost are three separate entities.

Not believing in a deity is a religion the same way not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Seriously, you need to learn the meaning of the word. I don't have a set of beliefs. I have no beliefs, period.

I put "other". I'm not an atheist, but I don't follow a religion.

As a non-denominational Christian (and "recovering Catholic"), I find it strange how atheism "is not a religion", but the amount of people who talk about how smart atheists are, or how great atheism is, is astounding. Christians refer to that as evangelizing. They talk about how great Christianity is, and how everyone should "hear the good news", and become a Christian. They are also often made fun of, and rebuked for their beliefs. Witness the negative media attention that Tim Tebow gets for his beliefs.

Even muslims are directed in the Qur'an to convert the unbeliever before they kill them. (This is commonly referred to as "Convert, subjugate or kill"). No, I'm not hating on muslims. They can believe whatever they want. It's in the Qur'an. Look it up.

If atheism is not a religion, why are there so many people preaching it? Maybe the appropriate thing to do would be say nothing, since nothing is the foundation of the atheist's belief. All we ever hear is how atheism is not a religion. But there is never a shortage of people who are willing to tell you that atheism is better than religion.

Evangelical atheists. The very pinnacle of irony.

Light Catholic, go to church and confession occasionaly, was baptised as a child.

Hop-along Nussbaum:
As a non-denominational Christian (and "recovering Catholic"), I find it strange how atheism "is not a religion", but the amount of people who talk about how smart atheists are, or how great atheism is, is astounding. Christians refer to that as evangelizing. They talk about how great Christianity is, and how everyone should "hear the good news", and become a Christian. They are also often made fun of, and rebuked for their beliefs. Witness the negative media attention that Tim Tebow gets for his beliefs.

Even muslims are directed in the Qur'an to convert the unbeliever before they kill them. (This is commonly referred to as "Convert, subjugate or kill"). No, I'm not hating on muslims. They can believe whatever they want. It's in the Qur'an. Look it up.

If atheism is not a religion, why are there so many people preaching it? Maybe the appropriate thing to do would be say nothing, since nothing is the foundation of the atheist's belief. All we ever hear is how atheism is not a religion. But there is never a shortage of people who are willing to tell you that atheism is better than religion.

Evangelical atheists. The very pinnacle of irony.

I shall try and lay it out as clearly as possible.

Atheist or atheism refers to one thing and one thing only, the lack of belief of a deity. It in and of itself is not a religion. Once again it's like saying that not collecting stamps is a hobby, it's not. And not believing in a deity is not a religion. Now you can have religions that don't have a deity, but just not having a deity is not a religion in and of itself.

As for why atheism is perhaps better than religion? Well religions persecute people and want to deny them rights, such as same sex marriage in the US for example, or for a more extreme example, killing someone for deciding that religion is not for them (the "crime" of apostasy in the middle east for example). Atheism does not persecute anyone. It does not say that Christians cannot go to schools or get married, and also atheism doesn't have a single spokesgroup ( though people like Hitchens and Dawkins and Degrasse Tyson do a bang up job for us).

As an atheist what I personally want is religion to be kept in your place of worship or your home. It does not belong in making laws, or dictating what gets taught in science classrooms. It should have no say when it comes to who can marry, as long as they are consenting adults it's no ones business. What I don't want to do is remove places of worship or take peoples religion away from them. Belief or lack thereof is a personal thing. HOWEVER, if you bring up religious views like they are fact, then I will take your views and shit all over them. I respect your right to hold your beliefs. I do NOT respect your beliefs.

Thank you all, and have a good Christmas holidays this year, and don't get too drunk on New Years.

Hop-along Nussbaum:

If you believe that religion is harmful to society, of course you'll want others to cease being religious. Call it evangelical, call it deconverting, call it whatever. But the idea that Atheists would just be quiet about it is very odd.
To be fair, though, I'm sure Atheists would care a lot less, if religions weren't intruding into public aspects of society quite so often.
You know. If they didn't feel science, politics, education and laws were influenced to an alarming degree by nonsense. If they didn't feel that a particular morality was forced onto the larger public without a good basis for doing so.
Hell, on that Atheists can actually often find allies among moderate religious folks or, of course, religious folks belonging to non-majority religions.

Rkiver:

As for why atheism is perhaps better than religion? Well religions persecute people and want to deny them rights,

I make the same point so often on here that I feel like I either need a list I can C&P from or I just need to frown at you and see if my being here communicates what's wrong with that sentence for me.

Rkiver:

Thank you all, and have a good Christmas holidays this year, and don't get too drunk on New Years.

I have every intention of trying to get this entire forum drunk on New Year's Eve, at least, anyone who likes drinking games. (Seriously, this forum needs a meta post and what better occasion?)

I'm kind of an atheist, agnostic atheist, weak agnostic rolled into one. I picked atheist anyway.

Polarity27:

Rkiver:

As for why atheism is perhaps better than religion? Well religions persecute people and want to deny them rights,

I make the same point so often on here that I feel like I either need a list I can C&P from or I just need to frown at you and see if my being here communicates what's wrong with that sentence for me.

Rkiver:

I have every intention of trying to get this entire forum drunk on New Year's Eve, at least, anyone who likes drinking games. (Seriously, this forum needs a meta post and what better occasion?)

Well then might I suggest if you want a rather thorough rundown just pick up God is Not Great by the late Christopher Hitchens. Pretty much covers all the major religions around the world and gives a lovely list of why they aren't.

Rkiver:

Polarity27:

Rkiver:

Rkiver:

Well then might I suggest if you want a rather thorough rundown just pick up God is Not Great by the late Christopher Hitchens. Pretty much covers all the major religions around the world and gives a lovely list of why they aren't.

Well, that was the most spectacular point-missing I've seen in a while.

I'm irreligious/apatheist.

I just don't think about or care for religion.

That said I think I do lean a bit towards agnostic atheism.

Well, i`m not really into any certain religion, but i donīt think that Iīm an atheist, either.
Kinda difficult to explain. I belive in some things. I kinda think/hope, that the universe ballances itself. i get unlucky, ergo, i`ll have some luck on other things. Maybe something like karma. Not sure.

You should replace 'atheism' with 'non-religious'
Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a god. Lots of religions are atheist, and Atheism isn't a religion.

I consider myself a Secular Humanist (though it's not precisely a religion).

Completely off-topic: I have found that a large proportion of those who self-identify as Atheists on the internet actually espouse Anti-theistic positions. I am not saying this is necessarily true of this forum, but it seems to be quite common on the 'net in general.

I am a Protestant (Anglican/Episcopalian with various other influences: Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Mennonite).

I am not really a Hillsong kind of guy, and don't have much time for that sort of thing, personally.

I don't feel the need to push one form or another of religion on forums, though.

It is much better to listen to others than to be quick to speak.

I like to appreciate what others have to offer regardless of beliefs, but my Christianity is fairly strong (although I am most irregular regarding Church attendance)and some very strong beliefs that won't be swayed.

Neither atheism nor Buddhism are religions, but since you asked, I have no religion.

requisitename:

Completely off-topic: I have found that a large proportion of those who self-identify as Atheists on the internet actually espouse Anti-theistic positions. I am not saying this is necessarily true of this forum, but it seems to be quite common on the 'net in general.

You can't be both?...

I'm happy for either term to be used to describe me.

martin's a madman:
I think the term for someone who practices Hinduism is a Hindu, not a Hinduist.

Nope. It's like "Jewist" or "Christianist".

Filiecs:
I voted Christian although I pretty much have my own religion.

Oh, wow, really? Does that make you the Pope of your religion? Can I be a Cardinal?

TheDarkEricDraven:
[quote="martin's a madman" post="528.335149.13569548"]I think the term for someone who practices Hinduism is a Hindu, not a Hinduist.

Nope. It's like "Jewist" or "Christianist".

Uh... no, the term is Hindu.

At least when speaking about about people who follow that faith.

people's beliefs are people's beliefs. i may not believe in them but we all have the right to believe in something, and i may not agree with what people say but i would die for the right for people to say it... right? no, left

Sexual Harassment Panda:

requisitename:

You can't be both?...

You can be both. Atheism is the lack of belief in any sort of god and anti-theism is the objection to theism.

I am an atheist but I resent that being classed as a religious belief. I do not have any religious beliefs. So I put other.

I'm an apatheistic lu-ist. I make up my religion as I go based apon my own observations of the world. It sounds silly, but it works for me.

Hail Satan.

Sexual Harassment Panda:

requisitename:

You can't be both?...

You absolutely can be both. I just prefer precision in language.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here