Any pagans out there?

I was looking at the "What religion are you?" thread and wondered something: 'Are there any pagans here?' Now I've been interested in paganism for as long as I've known about it. I have a friend who is a pagan, too. If you'd like to share details on your paganism that would be pretty cool. ^-^ I just want to be aware of any pagans on the escapist.

Now I know this may be hard seeing as we're discussing religion here, but NO FIGHTING! Just wanted to say that... just in case.

Polarity27 and TheDarkEricDraven, off the top of my head. There are probably some more around, though.

I know I am at least partially pagan. I sort of Frankensteined a religion/spirituality out of parts I found throughout life.

As Skeleton mentioned, DarkEric and I are probably the two most visible (and loud) Pagans on here. There are a few of us around, though, that show up on threads like this.

I've been some kind of Pagan for my entire adult life, though the type of Paganism I practice has changed over time. Right now I'm primarily Norse-focused/Heathen, with lurking bits of other things that would probably be too confusing to explain. Too eclectic to really properly call myself Asatru.

(Oh, and BTW, Happy Yule, Escapists!)

Yep, Norse/Germanic Heathen here.

I associate with Wicca more than anything, dunno if that helps you out or not...

I hold the belief that our souls hold the potential for creating energy/matter from spirit; that pagan gods are souls not bound within bodies and are thus able to express their true potential; and consequently, that we all have the potential to transcend the physical realm and the cycle of life and death and become such gods ourselves.

I also hold the belief that souls are finite expressions/personalities of an infinite consciousness, which I refer to as the Goddess (Eris).

So, in the end, I'm not really sure where I lie. Paganism largely seems to be a cultural/traditional/ritual focused religion where the beliefs aren't quite as important as the observances/practices and the participation thereof. I have a lot of respect for that, but with no one to participate in such rites with, it seems kind of silly to me to do them by myself when there's no specific pantheon I believe in and my beliefs don't dictate that I worship specific gods, only that I live my life in the way I see most fitting to live it and that the gods will decide what becomes of me from there.

I have a thing for nature so I considered myself a Wiccan for a brief period of time. But, I don't practice any religion nor do I believe in any gods nowadays...

Have I already been mentioned?...Hm, might as well not post...

I believe in multiple old pantheons. Aztec, West African, Chinese, Babylonian, Egyption, Roman, and Japanese most prominently. Also Otherkin. I am surprised, though, that you are a Master Archivist. I guess you spend all of your time in the off topic and gaming sections. Much nicer places.

Oh wow this thread is good. Please keep 'em coming!

Lets make it a competition, whoever has the most gods wins!

Polarity27:
Right now I'm primarily Norse-focused/Heathen

Kvaedi:
Yep, Norse/Germanic Heathen here.

Same! =D

TheDarkEricDraven:
I am surprised, though, that you are a Master Archivist. I guess you spend all of your time in the off topic and gaming sections. Much nicer places.

Yeah, I was never attracted to the religious forums until this question popped into my head. I usually only see Atheist vs Christian type stuff, and I don't like that at all. Why can't we all just get along?

TheDarkEricDraven:
Have I already been mentioned?...Hm, might as well not post...

I believe in multiple old pantheons. Aztec, West African, Chinese, Babylonian, Egyption, Roman, and Japanese most prominently. Also Otherkin. I am surprised, though, that you are a Master Archivist. I guess you spend all of your time in the off topic and gaming sections. Much nicer places.

Off-topic, but... the OT forum is a "nicer place"? Guess it depends on how much privilege you have. OT is a horrible place to be if you're female, feminist, and intolerant of Nice Guys (tm). I much prefer the regulars here.

Does the Ancient Egyptian pantheon count? I suppose I classify as an atheist in most matters, and I don't really fervently believe in it, it's more of a hobby/for the heck of it. But at least they are one interesting bunch of gods...

With all respect to Pagans out there, I do get the sense that a lot of you follow paganism because you want to be unique and old fashioned rather than you actually believe in it. Lots of Pagans I know have a boner for Ancient Rome and the culture and want to be a part of it all and it's usually general fappery.

I'm not saying all of you - that's just the vibe I get from a lot.

thoughts?

I've attacked religion a lot here. But I'll admit to having a lot more sympathy towards Paganism of varying varieties than Abrahamic religion which seems to do a lot more harm.

A lot of Pagans are Pantheists. Which is a lot closer to logical reason than normal Christianity. And Pagan Pantheism is certainly a long shot away from Evangelical Christianity, which is one of the worst toxins on the planet.

SillyBear:
With all respect to Pagans out there, I do get the sense that a lot of you follow paganism because you want to be unique and old fashioned rather than you actually believe in it. Lots of Pagans I know have a boner for Ancient Rome and the culture and want to be a part of it all and it's usually general fappery.

thoughts?

I suppose I do fit that formula. I honestly don't take my choice of cosmic security-blankets very seriously, and I don't expect anyone else to do, either. My main argument is something along the lines of: "Well, at least they're interesting, and if I'm going to 'believe' in anything, they'll do".

It was either that, or the Unknown Programmer, it who set all the commands from which our weird universe was slowly rendered, calculated and formed, and which motives and directives we may never know. It who never interferes directly in our existance, for unfathomable reasons and most likely wouldn't even care to know of us.

LilithSlave:

A lot of Pagans are Pantheists. Which is a lot closer to logical reason than normal Christianity.

Um, no. Pantheism is in no way more logical or closer to it than 'normal' Christianity.

Mortai Gravesend:

LilithSlave:

A lot of Pagans are Pantheists. Which is a lot closer to logical reason than normal Christianity.

Um, no. Pantheism is in no way more logical or closer to it than 'normal' Christianity.

considering logic is more of way to evaluate reasoning and help make decisions, you cant really determine if an ideology is more logical then another, but you can determine if some one is more logical then another.

OT: i myself am not a pagan, and know very little of it by i respect many in the pagan community ( people i personally know).

Mortai Gravesend:

Christianity as a structured religion typically demands multiple assumptions on illogical faith that have no evidence for them and even much evidence against them. One of the major ones being that the universe is not naturalistic.

Pantheists on the other hand have the tendency towards naturalistic understanding of the universe.

More important than an opposition to theism, is an opposition to logically incoherent positions such as a interpretation of the universe that is not naturalistic. No mainstream form of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam, is remotely naturalistic. Pantheism on the other hand can just be a way of "fancying up" a naturalistic interpretation of the universe not much different from atheism.

LilithSlave:

Mortai Gravesend:

Christianity as a structured religion typically demands multiple assumptions on illogical faith that have no evidence for them and even much evidence against them. One of the major ones being that the universe is not naturalistic.

Pantheists on the other hand have the tendency towards naturalistic understanding of the universe.

More important than an opposition to theism, is an opposition to logically incoherent positions such as a interpretation of the universe that is not naturalistic. No mainstream form of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam, is remotely naturalistic. Pantheism on the other hand can just be a way of "fancying up" a naturalistic interpretation of the universe not much different from atheism.

Additional unnecessary components are somehow supposed to be better? And in practice there's not much that Christians are going to add in. Oh no, they belive in miracles. As if that's going to come up every day. Or praying for things and likely going on with life as normal anyway.

And a tendency? Well that's wonderfully rigorous. Your bias is really seeping through.

I didn't say that Pantheism is better than Atheism. I said that Pantheism is better than Christianity.

Christianity creates a belief in the supernatural in general. Pantheism far less so.

And Pantheists aren't pushing for homophobic policies in government. Opposing abortion en masse. Opposing evolutionary theory. And the many other problems in society that Christians are clearly causing or at least heavily contributing to. Things based on a faith in the paranormal. Pantheists like to romanticize the universe. Christians believe in texts filled with thousands upon thousands of paranormal things completely incompatible with scientific progression and the known universe, but also with obvious morality. And depending on how widely one defines the belief in supernatural "miracles", one would say that it's a lot more than a "rare occurrence", but a central believe of the laws of the universe and history of all living humans in a way that impedes social progress and health tremendously.

A bias against Christianity? Certainly. They have one of the worst track records of any organization and ideology in history.

LilithSlave:

A bias against Christianity? Certainly. They have one of the worst track records of any organization and ideology in history.

Islam says "hi". ^_^

SillyBear:

thoughts?

The awesome lore is just a bonus =)

Stagnant:

LilithSlave:

Islam says "hi". ^_^

As do most religions. I don't think there is a one that hasn't had someone commit genocide in it's name. I'm sure even the FSM has had a few loonies.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked