Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The US GOP Primary Results/Prediction thread [UPDATE: Santorum suspends campaign]

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

The Gentleman:

In the two 49-1 races that the GOP won, Massachusetts was the one holdout. The day it goes Republican will be the day the GOP turns communist.

You DO know which state Rmoney used to be governor of, right? (I have no idea how GOOD a governor he was, so there's that.)

The Gentleman:
It's likely that Romney would loose at the convention as the delegates for the other candidates (except the few Huntsman had) would coalesce around the "anybody-but-Romney" ticket during the first rounds of voting. Eventually, they would get an actual candidate (possibly one that hasn't declared yet even) and Romney would likely be the VP.

/starts praying: "Eris, I know I generally try to avoid prayer as dangerous, but JUST THIS ONCE...." :D

(Of course, with my luck, they'd probably setting on Jeb Bush. Because TWO of them weren't enough. >_< )

Bymidew:

The Gentleman:

In the two 49-1 races that the GOP won, Massachusetts was the one holdout. The day it goes Republican will be the day the GOP turns communist.

You DO know which state Rmoney used to be governor of, right? (I have no idea how GOOD a governor he was, so there's that.)

Shunning every popular measure you did as governor is not a good way of turning a solid blue state red. Even Senator Scott Brown had to moderate significantly after joining the senate just so he can stand a chance to win a challenge from Elizabeth Warren in November.

There are few "solid" states that will change based on a candidate. Pretty much only California has sided with their politicians over their pattern when it was a Republican (Senator Richard Nixon and Governor Ronald Reagan, respectively). Moderate, progressive, and liberal forces dominate Massachusetts politics. A Republican will not win their electoral vote, especially not the way the party is now.

Bymidew:

The Gentleman:
It's likely that Romney would loose at the convention as the delegates for the other candidates (except the few Huntsman had) would coalesce around the "anybody-but-Romney" ticket during the first rounds of voting. Eventually, they would get an actual candidate (possibly one that hasn't declared yet even) and Romney would likely be the VP.

/starts praying: "Eris, I know I generally try to avoid prayer as dangerous, but JUST THIS ONCE...." :D

(Of course, with my luck, they'd probably setting on Jeb Bush. Because TWO of them weren't enough. >_< )

One could only hope. Even George had more charisma then Jeb.

The Gentleman:

Seekster:

Really you are giving Georgia to Santorum? Check RCP, there are multiple polls in the past couple of days showing Gingrich with a double digit lead and I think Romney was actually second.

Yeah, that's my bad. I opted to go with the gut rather than taking the five minutes to look up the relevant polls. I really shouldn't do predicting rushed.

Seekster:
Romney most definitely wont win Massachusetts in November. Of all the New England states its probably the most blue.

Seekster:
Given that Obama is running unopposed, yes I imagine he will win more delegates than anyone else tomorrow. If the general election were held tomorrow Obama would win big, trouble is its not tomorrow.

I was referring to the fact that the contest will almost assuredly go into April and possibly May, and that every primary contest that passes moves you closer to a brokered convention. It's likely that Romney would loose at the convention as the delegates for the other candidates (except the few Huntsman had) would coalesce around the "anybody-but-Romney" ticket during the first rounds of voting. Eventually, they would get an actual candidate (possibly one that hasn't declared yet even) and Romney would likely be the VP.

Well, I'll be watching the turnout tomorrow night.

Don't sweat it. Polls on their own are simply curiosities and can vary widely. The only time I really give a political poll like the ones for the election real consideration is when you have multiple polls all giving around the same result. In the case of Georgia you have multiple polls all showing Gingrich with various double digit leads.

"The day it goes Republican will be the day the GOP turns communist."

Giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "better dead than red".

"I was referring to the fact that the contest will almost assuredly go into April and possibly May, and that every primary contest that passes moves you closer to a brokered convention. It's likely that Romney would loose at the convention as the delegates for the other candidates (except the few Huntsman had) would coalesce around the "anybody-but-Romney" ticket during the first rounds of voting. Eventually, they would get an actual candidate (possibly one that hasn't declared yet even) and Romney would likely be the VP."

Officially the race may continue into April and May (much like the Hillary-Obama race did btw) but if Romney has a good night tonight (which I predict he will) then his nomination is a foregone conclusion. There wont be a brokered convention, pundits talk about that because of its novelty but it wont happen. At worse there may be a case where Romney falls a few delegates short of the number needed because of simple mathematics but even that is unlikely to happen. Either way Romney is the only sound choice the Republicans have in the race and he is the only one of the bunch who could probably best Obama in November.

Sorry for the double post but I found a nice story from the Chicago Tribune on Super Tuesday that includes a cheat sheet which I will include below in spoiler tags, it essentially gives the breakdown of how delegates are assigned in each of the 10 states voting tonight and who has a perceived advantage in each:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-super-tuesday-voting-guide-20120306,0,4877347.story

Huh I didnt know that, this is apparently the first time Idaho has had a Caucus (according to the sheet they usually just have a late primary)

Seekster:
Sorry for the double post but I found a nice story from the Chicago Tribune on Super Tuesday that includes a cheat sheet which I will include below in spoiler tags, it essentially gives the breakdown of how delegates are assigned in each of the 10 states voting tonight and who has a perceived advantage in each:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-super-tuesday-voting-guide-20120306,0,4877347.story

Huh I didnt know that, this is apparently the first time Idaho has had a Caucus (according to the sheet they usually just have a late primary)

Or, in other words, because the GOP said "proportional" but didn't put forth a method to make this a rational and well-orchestrated process. The result put the method in the hands of the often-inexperienced state GOPs and gave you guys this clusterf-ck of rules.

Anyways, happy Super Tuesday. Expect us to be here tomorrow like a bunch of hungover freshmen wondering what the fuck happened last night.

The Gentleman:

Seekster:

Or, in other words, because the GOP said "proportional" but didn't put forth a method to make this a rational and well-orchestrated process. The result put the method in the hands of the often-inexperienced state GOPs and gave you guys this clusterf-ck of rules.

Anyways, happy Super Tuesday. Expect us to be here tomorrow like a bunch of hungover freshmen wondering what the fuck happened last night.

The Democratic Primaries are the same way just fyi. The primary system is kind of organized chaos but it beats a bunch of guys smoking cigars at the convention just picking someone to be the nominee.

I don't mind being the designated driver.

The Gentleman:

Kind of off topic, but on that note:

The day Kansas (one of the red-est of the red) votes democrat (outside of Lawrence) is the day Ron Paul is considered left leaning.

BOOM headshot65:

The Gentleman:

The day Kansas (one of the red-est of the red) votes democrat (outside of Lawrence) is the day Ron Paul is considered left leaning.

Now hang on, I will grant you Kansas is a solid red state but since when is it the red-est of the red states?

Obama with some Super Tuesday Trolling

So it was the Iran thread that did Powder in... Out of all the asinine and bull he said in the past week it was that? The mods are weird...

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<
Well tonight should seal the deal for Romney getting the nom, though for gentleman's sake (getting that 1000 post topic badge) I hope he doesn't so it drags on for a bit longer

TheGuy(wantstobe):
Obama with some Super Tuesday Trolling

So it was the Iran thread that did Powder in... Out of all the asinine and bull he said in the past week it was that? The mods are weird...

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<
Well tonight should seal the deal for Romney getting the nom, though for gentleman's sake (getting that 1000 post topic badge) I hope he doesn't so it drags on for a bit longer

Yeah the Mods work in mysterious ways (zing).

Seriously though I assume what you mean by seal the deal is make it statistically impossible for any of the other candidates to get the number of delegates needed to win the nomination if Romney has a really good night tonight. Winning Ohio is really more of a statement maker since whoever wins chances are the delegates will be split essentially in half there. If all Gingrich wins is Georgia then he really should throw in the towel but he wont, especially not with Alabama comming up.

Also I think Saturday The US Virgin Islands and American Samoa have their primaries and those are always interesting.

Seekster:

Seriously though I assume what you mean by seal the deal is make it statistically impossible for any of the other candidates to get the number of delegates needed to win the nomination if Romney has a really good night tonight. Winning Ohio is really more of a statement maker since whoever wins chances are the delegates will be split essentially in half there. If all Gingrich wins is Georgia then he really should throw in the towel but he wont, especially not with Alabama comming up.

I just listened to some analysis that found that Romney will win a majority of Ohio's delegates by default because Santorum failed to make the ballot in a few key counties. The problem is that he could still loose Ohio in the popular vote. He also could loose the key southern state of Tennessee. He may win the majority of delegates tonight, but those two losses by the popular vote will make spinning the victory much more difficult.

Seekster:

BOOM headshot65:

The Gentleman:

Now hang on, I will grant you Kansas is a solid red state but since when is it the red-est of the red states?

Well, I was just saying it is very high up there. I didnt mean to imply it was THE red-est state (because I can garuntee some are higher)

The Gentleman:

Seekster:

I just listened to some analysis that found that Romney will win a majority of Ohio's delegates by default because Santorum failed to make the ballot in a few key counties. The problem is that he could still loose Ohio in the popular vote. He also could loose the key southern state of Tennessee. He may win the majority of delegates tonight, but those two losses by the popular vote will make spinning the victory much more difficult.

He has an advantage because Santorum is not elligble for certain delegates but Santorum was still far ahead in Ohio until the past few days.

Romney really only needs to win one of those two and not have any major surprises elsewhere to claim a win on the night.

So, to conclude: The guy who was The Inevitable Candidate back in 2011 is STILL The Inevitable Candidate.

Well, that was five months well-spent.

Ok as of right now here is what we know for a fact:

-Gingrich wins Georgia (no surprise)

-Romney wins Virginia and Vermont (no surprise there either)

-Romney winning in Ohio but its still too close to call.

Update 7pm CST:

-Romney wins Massachusetts

-Santorum wins Oklahoma

-Ohio and Tennessee are too close to call

Update about 8pm CST:

-Santorum wins Tennessee

-Ohio remains too close to call but Romney has a slight lead.

Update about 9:30pm CST:

To recap;

Romney Wins - Massachusetts, Vermont, Virginia

Santorum Wins - North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee

Gingrich Wins - Georgia

No Winner Yet - Alaska (Still voting), Idaho, Ohio

Right now it looks like Romney will likely win Idaho and Ohio.

Update 10:15pm CST:

-Romney is most likely going to win Ohio. It will be close but he will win it and by enough to prevent a state mandated recount.

-Romney Wins Idaho.

Seekster:
-Ohio and Tennessee are too close to call

Tennessee Has been called for Santorum.

OP has been updated with preliminary results.

If stats for Ohio remain the same, there will be a state-mandated recount.

UPDATE: Ohio has been called for Romney. A narrow win.

Seekster:

BOOM headshot65:

The Gentleman:

I'm guessing the red of the red is either your home state of Texas, or South Carolina. Missouri seems like a likely one too, and the more I read about Minnesota, the more I hate it.

OT: Romney took the main ones, Santorum took the crazy religious ones, minus Alaska, and Gingrich got Georgia which was every bit as surprising as the sun going down.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Seekster:

BOOM headshot65:

I'm guessing the red of the red is either your home state of Texas, or South Carolina. Missouri seems like a likely one too, and the more I read about Minnesota, the more I hate it.

OT: Romney took the main ones, Santorum took the crazy religious ones, minus Alaska, and Gingrich got Georgia which was every bit as surprising as the sun going down.

I vote for Oklahoma. Ten pounds of right-wing religious crazy in a five pound bag. South Carolina is right up there too, though. Don't forget Utah.

Polarity27:
I vote for Oklahoma. Ten pounds of right-wing religious crazy in a five pound bag. South Carolina is right up there too, though. Don't forget Utah.

South Carolina went for Gingrich, Utah is the last contest before the convention. Romney will likely win it by a substantial margin

EDIT: OP now has some vote totals for those reporting 100% of precincts. I'll put whatever the final totals are at the end of the day tomorrow. Kind of surprised that Alaska was counted faster than Ohio.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Seekster:

BOOM headshot65:

Hmm Texas might be but I'm not sure...I mean there is Austin and the border regions, plus we have a good number of colleges and universities here and there.

South Carolina might be but then there is Mississippi and Alabama (states that Conservative states think are too Conservative). Minnesota actually tends to vote for the Democratic Candidate in Presidential elections and is considered a fairly blue state. I think what you are thinking of are the rural areas like the one Bachman got elected from. Every state has rural areas and rural areas tend to have more Conservatives (living off in a rural area people tend to be more self-reliant though thats a generalization) while urban areas tend to have more Liberals (or rather when you have a bunch of people living in a relatively small area there is less value held in self-reliance and you tend to get people who are more willing to let government run things for them, though that is also a generalization).

Missouri is about as Purple as state as you can get (outside of Ohio at least). Missouri is the state where the Midwest, South, and West meet so you get all kinds of people).

As for Alaska, I am surprised that Romney won and won so handily. I thought Ron Paul would win it since he was the only one to go there. Also LOL at Gingrich's performance there after a defacto endorsement from Palin, shows just how much the media overestimates her influence.

Seekster:
As for Alaska, I am surprised that Romney won and won so handily. I thought Ron Paul would win it since he was the only one to go there. Also LOL at Gingrich's performance there after a defacto endorsement from Palin, shows just how much the media overestimates her influence.

Palin herself didn't endorse Gingrich, although her husband has. Regardless, Palin isn't just disliked in Alaska, she's practically hated there. Her leaving mid-way through her term, which was clearly to cash out on her celebrity, left a lot of people, including supporters, extremely angry at her. Her power in the southern states is more substantial than in Alaska.

Anyways, I called it: I am a tad hung over trying to figure out what exactly last night meant. Romney won the majority of delegates, but it didn't blow out the way necessary to claim total victory. Three separate candidates won large states (Ohio, Oklahoma, and Georgia each went to different candidates), and Ron Paul made second in several. Romney needed to seal the deal before today, because the next several contests are either in Gingrich's South (Alabama, Mississippi) or Santorum's MidWest (Missouri's actual contest, Kansas). Romney was only winning just barely in states where he was on even ground and, with the exception of Hawaii and a handful of territory primaries, the next few are heavily in favor of the other two.

This is on top of Romney's messaging problem. He still has to resort to carpet-bombing negative ads in states in order to win and hasn't been able to state a single coherent message that people are willing to latch onto. He looks like plastic at the best of times and a downright coward at the worst. And this is him against weaker opponents. If he can barely win against them, how is he going to win against the incumbent president with equal resources and a much more loyal following?

So, we get a bumfight at the convention?

Glee.

The Gentleman:

Seekster:

Palin herself didn't endorse Gingrich, although her husband has. Regardless, Palin isn't just disliked in Alaska, she's practically hated there. Her leaving mid-way through her term, which was clearly to cash out on her celebrity, left a lot of people, including supporters, extremely angry at her. Her power in the southern states is more substantial than in Alaska.

Anyways, I called it: I am a tad hung over trying to figure out what exactly last night meant. Romney won the majority of delegates, but it didn't blow out the way necessary to claim total victory. Three separate candidates won large states (Ohio, Oklahoma, and Georgia each went to different candidates), and Ron Paul made second in several. Romney needed to seal the deal before today, because the next several contests are either in Gingrich's South (Alabama, Mississippi) or Santorum's MidWest (Missouri's actual contest, Kansas). Romney was only winning just barely in states where he was on even ground and, with the exception of Hawaii and a handful of territory primaries, the next few are heavily in favor of the other two.

This is on top of Romney's messaging problem. He still has to resort to carpet-bombing negative ads in states in order to win and hasn't been able to state a single coherent message that people are willing to latch onto. He looks like plastic at the best of times and a downright coward at the worst. And this is him against weaker opponents. If he can barely win against them, how is he going to win against the incumbent president with equal resources and a much more loyal following?

Yeah I know thats why I said she "defacto" endorsed him.

I don't care much for Palin but I know a lot of people who like her with all due respect I don't think I will just take your word for it that people in Alaska (which is a very red state) hate Palin.

You can spin it however you like, mathematically Romney is the only candidate who could win the nomiantion now. Sure he may not do well in places like Kansas or Alabama but at this point so long as something insane doesnt happen (like Romney saying he wont repeal Obamacare or something like that) then the nomination might as well already be Romney's.

Oh please, Romney and Obama are roughly equal in terms of candidates. Obama is at the height of his popularity right now (wait until the budget battles are over) and Romney is still at the low point of his popularity. If the election were held tomorrow Obama would win in a walk, trouble is the election isnt tomorrow, its in November.

So, not much chance of a steel-cage match at the convention, then? Drat.

Is it time for all the people who've spent the last 5-odd months excoriating Romney as an empty suit and a flipflopper to abruptly forget everything they've ever claimed to believe and start hailing him as the Third Coming of Ronnie, or do we need to wait 'til after the convention for that?

And what are the Paulites going to do? (Pleasegothirdparty, pleasepleaseplease.... :D )

Seekster:
Yeah I know thats why I said she "defacto" endorsed him.

I don't care much for Palin but I know a lot of people who like her with all due respect I don't think I will just take your word for it that people in Alaska (which is a very red state) hate Palin.

"Hate" was probably too strong a word, but greatly disliked probably is probably not strong enough when there's a 50+ percent somewhat or strong negative opinion of her (USAToday. I hate the source, but linking to PDFs is not the best idea).

Seekster:
You can spin it however you like, mathematically Romney is the only candidate who could win the nomiantion now. Sure he may not do well in places like Kansas or Alabama but at this point so long as something insane doesnt happen (like Romney saying he wont repeal Obamacare or something like that) then the nomination might as well already be Romney's.

There's ways to deal with it. If it goes to the convention, many of the delegate allotments are going to be challenged by the Santorum campaign as unrepresentative of the vote. In addition, if Romney can't beat the 50% delegate threshold, he'll have to get delegates from one of the other candidates to go over. At this point, only Gingrich seems like he could be willing to do so (and that's only if you've bought into the Adleson conspiracy that any money is dependent on him being light against Romney and heavy on Santorum to insure that Romney get's the nomination).

The Gentleman:
[At this point, only Gingrich seems like he could be willing to do so (and that's only if you've bought into the Adleson conspiracy that any money is dependent on him being light against Romney and heavy on Santorum to insure that Romney get's the nomination).

I thought that was Ron Paul?

Let me say this clearly so everybody can grasp it:

There is NOT, going to be, a brokered, convention. There might be a split convention if Romney doesnt get the majority of delegates he needs but most likely he will, he is 1/3rd of the way there already. Furthermore the general feeling I am getting from listening to Talk Radio and stuff (for me Talk Radio means Mark Davis as he is only a little bit to the right of me) is that Republican voters are starting to realize that Romney is going to be the guy and so more and more people are coalescing around him.

Good news, everybody!

I wonder if Romney has a kick ass vest like Mr. Burns does, we all know Santorum has vests.

Edit: Oh this is surprising, now keep in mind this is just one poll so take it with a huge grain of salt but I just saw a poll on RCP showing Romney leading in Alabama by 9 points.

Seekster:

There is NOT, going to be, a brokered, convention. There might be a split convention if Romney doesnt get the majority of delegates he needs but most likely he will, he is 1/3rd of the way there already. Furthermore the general feeling I am getting from listening to Talk Radio and stuff (for me Talk Radio means Mark Davis as he is only a little bit to the right of me) is that Republican voters are starting to realize that Romney is going to be the guy and so more and more people are coalescing around him.

Hence the phrase "if."

That said, I'm hoping for a brokered convention if only because I need something to entertain me in August, and this strikes me as far more entertaining than BBC reruns.

The Gentleman:

Seekster:

Hence the phrase "if."

That said, I'm hoping for a brokered convention if only because I need something to entertain me in August, and this strikes me as far more entertaining than BBC reruns.

Hmm when do the Olympics start again?

I wasnt specifically responding to you by the way. A lot of people including people in journalism have been yapping about a brokered convention which is extremely unlikely at best.

Seekster:

The Gentleman:

July 27th-August 12th. Convention's the week of August 27th. Plus, US politics is my sport. The most I'm going to watch is the opening ceremonies and a handful of the minor events (fencing, velodrome, etc.).

Seekster:
I wasnt specifically responding to you by the way. A lot of people including people in journalism have been yapping about a brokered convention which is extremely unlikely at best.

Does this have anything to do with the CNN holodeck?

The Gentleman:

Seekster:

The Gentleman:

July 27th-August 12th. Convention's the week of August 27th. Plus, US politics is my sport. The most I'm going to watch is the opening ceremonies and a handful of the minor events (fencing, velodrome, etc.).

Seekster:

Does this have anything to do with the CNN holodeck?

You don't like watching the United States get more gold medals than everybody else? (trash talk)

The CNN holo what now?

Seekster:
You don't like watching the United States get more gold medals than everybody else? (trash talk)

Yeah, how is that World Cup Football trophy?

Oh wait...

Spectating sports just doesn't do it for me. It's one thing to play the sport, it's quite another to watch it.

Seekster:
The CNN holo what now?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked