Do you like to debate just for the hell of it?

I know I do. There's nothing like a good debate on anything to really get to know someone. It doesn't even matter to me if anyone changes their mind. As long as I have someone to disagree with me I'm happy.

So tell me, you like debating just to debate? If so tell me about it.

You want to debate with someone now? Post what you wanna debate about on here, a summary of your position(s),and your Skype contact info (If applicable).

I'll get the ball rolling on the second bit:

I would like to debate anyone on, religion (In general, or christianity if you like), evolution, and science in general really.

I think evolution actually happens, religion can, in many cases, be harmful and I just throw in the rest of science cuz I like talking about it.

My Skype is atheistguy1, hope to see someone respond.

while i generally do like debating, im very selective of who i debate against. i basically want to debate an android someone who can leave all personal bias and double standards at the door, sadly most people cant achieve this and it eventually falls into seeing who resorts to bullshit first.

i cant debate science and evolution with you since i accept those and think they coincide with my own personal beliefs. (theistic evolutionist).

also i think this would be better fitted for the off topic section.

If you want to debate about science, what do you think of the Singularity?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.315844-The-Singularity-Is-Near-Immortality-and-a-Holodeck?page=1

Please respond here, not in that topic :)

I really don't. I like a good discussion, but I generally don't like debates. The only exception is if I really know my shit on the subject and so does the other person, and we're congenial about it (I never, for instance, mind a process or horse race debate on politics with someone else who's fairly up on those aspects of American politics).

Too often it's slanted, and the other person either doesn't know enough or doesn't care enough or both, and I end up too frustrated to do anything but bang my head on a wall. It's just not worth the aggravation.

Danyal:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.315844-The-Singularity-Is-Near-Immortality-and-a-Holodeck?page=1

Working under the assumption that it can actually happen (It's a stretch but but for the sake of argument) I think we'll end up with an episodic accumulation of knowledge. My reasoning behind this is, well, people can't keep up with such rapid change. We'd probably have computers doing most of the research while humans take care of the tiny loose ends. At the end of this period of accumulation the rest of society would try to catch up. Once that happen the cycle will repeat.

Really if the growth of knowledge really gets to such a point I can't really think of many other ways of coping with such a boom.

asking that question in the R&P forums is like asking is the pope a nice guy in the middle of the vatican

I'm not entirely sure if debates work that well...my understanding is that a debate is more focussed on who wins an argument by any means necessary. I like exploring my opinion on a topic in depth and listening to those of others (and occasionally pointing out where they're wrong), but wouldn't say it's debating as such.

Danyal:

We should probably get that user-group going a bit more active sometime, fancy planning some content?

No I don't, arguing should always be a means to a goal, never the goal itself. If a debate is not aimed at making a change in any way, it is not a debate, it's a hobby. I do like talking about stuff though.

Cheers!

Polarity27:
I really don't. I like a good discussion, but I generally don't like debates.

Agreed.

I think debates are too much like contests, and especially on the internet, people play them the same way one might play a game of Halo, i.e. do everything possible you can to win, regardless of if it results in an enjoyable or productive experience, and then as soon as you declare victory (because in Internet debate there is never an actual victory) start tea-bagging your opponent.

I've got a good friend I'm more than happy to discuss politics or religion with, because we are good friends and behave respectfully even if we don't agree. But on the Internet I will usually confine myself to just pointing out when other people are factually wrong or posting ideas of mine that aren't really up for debate. Because I'm not interested in testing myself against some high school kid who wants to play nerd-jock for a while. I'm more interested in finding people who are well-informed enough about a topic that they can talk about it without being insecure enough to need to prove they are well informed (by beating me in internet battle). I like to see ideas exchanged, not comparisons of rhetoric cocks.

Katatori-kun:
and then as soon as you declare victory (because in Internet debate there is never an actual victory)
------------------------------------------------------------
But on the Internet I will usually confine myself to just pointing out when other people are factually wrong

How some Atheism is perhaps mistaken Atheism

I "won" the debate, both sides agreed. So there are actual 'victories' on the internet.
/I just like to point out when others are factually wrong :D

I love it so much I read books on rhetoric.

humans dont care about the truth all they care about winning its a scientic fact

Debating keeps your wits up and increases your knowledge...

Imagine it as exercise... for your brain.

Still exercise is as only as good as the strength against you. On a bike, how steep is the slope (or high the resistance). In a debate... who the fuck is in opposition? I was playing APB earlier and I shut one fucker up when he called me a kid by citing to him the beginnings of Civilisation, I got up to Bevil Rim Bowls and he just said "you win"...

The fact I leanred about that stuff when I was 15 put aside... so easy... its noob bashing.

Average debate on the Escapist... Normal. Pretty much anything in R&P section makes me think. Rarely I charge in with a bloody stupid answer (anymore).

I do with friends, anyone else, nope, I stay clear of it for the most part. Although, in school for our American History class we did do a Presidential debate thing for Obama vs. McCain. I supported Obama, but decided to debate for the McCain team just for the challenge. I held our whole team up, and was super charismatic throughout the whole thing. It was really hard defending Sarah Palin though...

AtheistGuy:
I know I do. There's nothing like a good debate on anything to really get to know someone. It doesn't even matter to me if anyone changes their mind. As long as I have someone to disagree with me I'm happy.

Yes I like debating, too much. My new year's resolution is to stop getting into so many online arguments.

I'm making an exception for debates where no one is taking it seriously, or debates over something trivial that won't get heated.

Seriously one of my favorite websites on the internet is filled with humorous debates, and they're a real joy to read (it's a shame it stopped doing them a while ago).\

I'm not giving out Skype but if anyone wants to debate me on something, shoot. So long as it's all in good fun.

Meh, not much of a fan of engaging in debate. I sure as hell love to read a good debate (the main reason for my visiting R&P), but very rarely do I engage in one. I have to be in a certain mood (not angry. Never debate when angry).

On certain subjects, yes. Most the time I bite my tongue in real life. But here, if there is a certain topic I would like to state my opinion to, and defend it by all means I'll debate.

I like critical discussion, but I have little interest in debating. I'm not one for picking a side to argue; I usually prefer to just listen, analyze, test and learn, but I do try to chime in once and awhile when I feel I have some sort of insight to share.

I don't like debating in public or anything, if some believes in something then I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't affect me. Unless they are very very very very very very wrong.

I did join the high school debate team so I could do it in a formal setting but the judges were biased against us because our school had a poor reputation.

I love debate, but I confine myself to debating on this site for a reason, that reason being that debate with most strangers is as likely to drive me crazy as it is to be fun.

I used to like to debate online, but then I started getting lots of replies to each post and I couldn't reply to them all so I just got sick of it. I still love debating in person though, because it is usually one on one and actually requires a response from the person. No cop outs or google searches. Also, I find in person there is much less ad hominem and there are rarely appeals to false authority. In a real debate you either know what you are talking about or you don't.

I like it pretty much unconditionally. Discussion, discourse, dialogue, whatever you want to call it. What's the point in having a belief or an idea if you can't hold it up to scrutiny?

I like to talk with people that have conflicting, or at least different, views than myself. You don't learn anything by talking to someone that agrees with you 100% on a topic. You need to find someone you disagree with in order to really broaden you horizons. People have a tendency to look at it as simply trying to convince others of your position, but it's just as much about learning something yourself. Sure 99% of debates don't end with one side admitting defeat, or changing their stance, or acknowledging some point, but it gives people something to think about. The changes in opinion and belief happen after reflection upon new information, not immediately after you're done talking.

Of course I find there to be a difference between debate and argument, and the fact that those two get so often mixed up is why a lot of people tend to refrain from discourse on things like politics or religion. Argument is just people yelling and throwing insults at each other. There's nothing to be gained from that. I have little patience for anyone that takes that approach.

I think the worst of what people call "debate" are little quips and memes people spout without thinking. For instance whenever I hear a republican say "How's that change working out for you?/Obama gave us the wrong kind of change!" I groan, because there is literally no useful information in that statement. It's just a jab at Obama without any actual substance. It's George Orwell's duckspeak. The worst offender of this is "Dude, it's the government man!" as a response to literally any remark. I was talking to a coworker the other day about high tuition rates for college and that was his exact response. I felt terribly frustrated, because it meant he knew absolutely nothing about what he was talking about. We really need to do something about public education.

I can't help it. It's a basic need, you see.

Not in real-life. I am usually a chronic appeaser in real-life, so all of my debate usually comes out in here. Sometimes things will get me mad enough that I have to say something about it, but the moment has to be right and I have to be really pissed.

So...yeah. Just a big fat coward, here :-\

Yes and no. I enjoy a good debate immensely, and will occasionally steer a conversation towards debatable topics, but I don't argue for the hell of it. I always represent either a legitimate opinion of my own, or a middle ground attempting to find equilibrium.

It really depends on what you label as a "debate". The rigid, formal, setup of person a talks for extended period, person b talks, back and forth is not so appealing to me, because it becomes less of a discussion, and more a series of brief lectures. On the other hand, typical arguments tend to end up as shouting matches, with people obsessed with scoring points on the other person.

But the sweet spot in the middle of those two extremes I very much enjoy. As some others have said, it's a bit like exercise for your brain. Most positions (within reason. I'm not about to debate the merits of whether or not I had cornflakes for breakfast) are probably not worth holding unless you're able to justify and defend them to someone of the opposing opinion, because if you try and justify them to yourself, you're ultimately not going to gain any new information, and anything that might change your mind, and justifying them to people you agree with is just a huge circle jerk.

So yeah. Arguments are good.

Danyal:

One problem I see with immortality is while we might live long enough to learn a lot of new things, its not as if our brain will have improved.. And its not build for infinite knowledge. Despite being quite sizable.

It's basically an addiction, but I try to restrict it to my friends and strangers over the internet. I often "lose" whenever I debate with my mother, stubborn bastards, and religious crazies. By "lose", I mean, they think that they win because they did the equivalent of holding their fingers in their ears and screaming, "NAH NAH NAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG!", while I just get pissed off and walk away, if I can.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked