How bad was 9/11 really

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

You cant really scale 9/11 by the few thousand people that died. You can only scale it by the cultural shift that it caused, did anyone actually knew of "terrorism" and "plane hijacking" before 9/11? Did it show how vulnerable the world is? Its the kind of things you need to take into account when it comes to 9/11.

Would the world be the same if it hadn't happened? no war on terror? Its more to do with the impact it caused.

You cant really scale 9/11 by the few thousand people that died. You can only scale it by the cultural shift that it caused, did anyone actually knew of "terrorism" and "plane hijacking" before 9/11? Did it show how vulnerable the world is? Its the kind of things you need to take into account when it comes to 9/11.

Would the world be the same if it hadn't happened? no war on terror? Its more to do with the impact it caused.

i'm not bothered by it at all. so people died, theres 8.6 billion people in the world...and they're mostly dicks so let them die ^_^

i'm not bothered by it at all. so people died, theres 8.6 billion people in the world...and they're mostly dicks so let them die ^_^

It's not that big of a deal when you look at the scope of what is really happening in the world then and now. Without discussing 9/11 theories etc it created an opportunity for the government to take freedoms away from it's people under the illusion of a safer and more secure america and a few people to get really really rich while young soldiers die.

People hijacked planes and flew them into the biggest buildings in New York and the freaking Pentagon. You'll pardon the masses for freaking out, wondering, "If they can do that so easily, then what else can they do to us?" The sheer spectacle of it was enough to make a deep cultural imprint.

I don't call myself a patriot (I'm about as apathetic as you can get when it comes to politics or nationalism), but the fear back then was unreal. The fact that we've had constant reminders since then (war, more war, "Patriot Act", airline safety changes, etc) keeps it fresh in our minds. Hell, if you've ever been in a crowd since 9/11 and the news was reporting a plane crash (even a personal plane crashed on a rural highway) or something similar (the Hudson incident from a few years back), you probably heard people exclaiming something like, "Oh no, not again..."

backinthepresentfuture:

I feel sorry for you if that's the way you view the world.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
they had it coming. Its a pity the plane didnt crash into the white house, but there you go.

That's just a horrible thing to say.

Not as bad as many other things. Want to know what's worse? The Holocaust (not a joke kiddies, unless you actually think 9/11 was worse than the Holocaust).

tragic, no doubt, but i think the bigger tragedy was the paranoia it reinvigorated in the american consciousness for the next decade.

Biodeamon:
not to start a flame war but...
america nuked japan twice and they brushed it off eventually,

america has just two buidings blown up and they act like the whole entire world has ended.

Dude. You're just so wrong. I've been to Hiroshima on the date of the bombing. You know what I was surrounded by? Large crowds of people walking in memory of the people who died. I was approached by a man who hated Americans for not spiritually winning the war, winning only through force. There were cars driving around with loudspeakers blaring out hatred towards America for it's actions. I recieved far more than just a couple dirty looks.

Don't make assumptions. There is still hatred there for what we did.

Lilani:
The only other attack we've ever had like that was Pearl Harbor. And ever since Pearl Harbor

Honestly, you really can't compare the two. Pearl Harbor was at least a militaristic decision based on the need to occupy American naval forces while several simultaneous attacks throughout the Pacific took place in response to the embargos the American's placed on goods to Japan.

It wasn't that the attack itself was that bad, relatively. It's the effect it had. Four planes, both the trade center towers (feats of architecture and engineering, distinguished landmarks, and houses of global cooperation in one of the most important cities in the world), and the pentagon all struck on one day. It showed us how vulnerable we were, when we thought we were invincible. This wasn't a military affair, one nation to another. This was targeting civilians, something that really gets feathers ruffled. I wouldn't say unprovoked, for the U.S. Government is the farthest from innocent, and is still tainted by it's varied endeavors of the past 60 years, but it was still a surprising affront.

Following the attack, the executive branch took hold of the national fear that comes from such surprise, and used it to rally the country into a several wars, lots of horrendous new powers, and devastation rained upon countries that had nothing to do with the attack, but held an affront to business rights. Corporations were given greater rights at the cost of the individual, and individual liberties could be violated at whim, under the guise of "national security". Was the attack itself bad? For those involved, and the families, yes of course. On a global scale, not as much. What's important is the effect from what happened.

when i heard about it i basically thought:
"the fuck is a World Trade Centre? why tell me this, Tillicoultry Primary School, i'm 6. and Scottish."

Jamie Suitor:
did anyone actually knew of "terrorism" before 9/11?

i'm pretty sure they did.
what with the whole IRA thing.

NightmareLuna:
Not bad at all. Christians have killed way more in the past. It is just overblown, people died, buhuuu. Plus in the following war there were so many innocents that died, but no one cares about them?

i assume you were thinking about the Crusades, mostly? y'know, the last time the Western Christian countries spent years slaughtering Muslims based really on religion.
i thought we were meant to learn from history...
plus, it did cause a war. which killed more. but 9/11 is different because it happened to america.
a thought: if the UN are/were supposed to keep the peace in Iraq, and America attacked it, should the UN be attacking the Americans?

I think the Americans have gone a little too far with this, it has been 10 years and people are still thinking about it. The massacre in Norway wasn't as big but it was really frightening, I think Americans should get over it.

chuckman1:
This is a topic I've wanted to talk about with the community for awhile and I feel could spark some interesting conversation. (Note I am American and have lived here my entire life)

Was 9/11 really that bad? I mean yes a couple thousand innocent people died for no good reason but I don't see it even close to the tragic level it's been made out to be. We have also had many liberties robbed of us in attempts to "keep us safe" that have really made no difference on our safety level.

It just shows how in America we feel untouchable and whenever something like this happens we freak out like HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? This happens all around the world and it wasn't even close to the worst things that happen in my opinion. Also how come every single 9/11 they go over it at school. We get what happened we dont need to keep bringing this up.

How do you feel on the issue?
:note I'd be careful how you word your response I suspect anyone who disagrees with your opinion will report you

Americans usually grow up thinking that they're number one, the second someone takes them down a notch we take it very seriously, not trying to trivialize the tragic deaths that occured on that day, but that's basically the gist of it in my opinion.

I'm an American by the way, and I was pretty young when 9/11 happened, at the time I sincerely believed the U.S.A. was an invincible super hero of a country, a belief I think a lot of Americans shared up until that point, and to see out great country more or less bought down on a humble knee really rocked my, and probably many others, world.

Biodeamon:
not to start a flame war but...
america nuked japan twice and they brushed it off eventually,

america has just two buidings blown up and they act like the whole entire world has ended.

to be fair the Americans were forced to do it to stop WW2, Japan was out of control (I know this sounds terrible) but it had to be done

itchcrotch:
tragic, no doubt, but i think the bigger tragedy was the paranoia it reinvigorated in the american consciousness for the next decade.

This is too true.

While I agree with your point, you seem to forget that there were two other airplanes, one that hit the Pentagon and another that was meant for the White House. The people in the Pentagon were responsible for the war in the Middle East, and there is no explanation needed for the White House. While 9/11 was small in scale compared to natural disasters or even Pearl Harbor, it was a wake up call for America. It certainly has been milked and over-hyped compared to the rest of the world, but thousands of people dying is not something you can ignore.

9/11 happened because we didn't have the certain amount of defense in our own country to throw such a thing to the side; remember, what Bush's daddy was able to do.

So what's the best (il)logical solution to having our stuff nuked? Throw a few million more people to die in that other persons country (or you know, use it as an excuse to get oil).

chuckman1:
This is a topic I've wanted to talk about with the community for awhile and I feel could spark some interesting conversation. (Note I am American and have lived here my entire life)

Was 9/11 really that bad? I mean yes a couple thousand innocent people died for no good reason but I don't see it even close to the tragic level it's been made out to be. We have also had many liberties robbed of us in attempts to "keep us safe" that have really made no difference on our safety level.

It just shows how in America we feel untouchable and whenever something like this happens we freak out like HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? This happens all around the world and it wasn't even close to the worst things that happen in my opinion. Also how come every single 9/11 they go over it at school. We get what happened we dont need to keep bringing this up.

How do you feel on the issue?
:note I'd be careful how you word your response I suspect anyone who disagrees with your opinion will report you

I totally agree with you. I'm not American. I consider America as an Empire not to dissimilar to the Romans as they conquer the world bringing coke and military bases in exchange for the country's natural resources. Whenever I see people whinging about 9/11 I get upset because it is so hypocritical. These people cry about 2000 people that lost their lives, meanwhile America (and others) take hundreds if not thousands of lives every day by force.

Thank-you OP, you have given me slightly more respect more America now because I know that you and others like you are in it.

it was a tragedy, but nothing compared to what followed, or is to come.

my country (Australia) has now followed the U.S into 2 war-zones, and deployed troops for 12 full years now. In my opinion, this has weakened our resolve and the general public have become disillusioned with the U.S.

combine that with the military pact we have signed with Japan, and the withdrawal of troops, (this year?) we may not be the only nation to drift away from America.

perhaps this was the terrorists plan all along?

backinthepresentfuture:

Please ignore this if you are in fact a troll.

I highly doubt you've met most of the people on Earth, so you're rediculous generalization that most of them are dicks is highly unfounded and very... cunty, is that a word? Nevermind the fact that it's easy to scoff at something bad happening to someone else, but should a similar bad thing happen to you and someone was to scoff at your tragedy you'd be pissed, I have a feeling that if you made a thread about your mother dying and someone said "Oh well, according to a statistic I made up she was probably a dick and her death means nothing," you'd be quite cross.

But then again my first impression of you being a troll is probably correct so I honestly don't know why I wasted the time telling you why your comment wouldn't be allowed in polite conversation.

Skullkid4187:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
they had it coming. Its a pity the plane didnt crash into the white house, but there you go.

That's just a horrible thing to say.

And dropping nukes, killing children and invading countries is a terrible thing to do. What do you want? The US does have it coming.

While it sucks, it was overblown by the media. There have been far far worse disasters and masacres (Totsi Masacre that killed 100, 000 people in 6 weeks or something) that have seen far less media exposure.

The difference being that we were at war at the time (the name of the war escapes me but I think most of the World was involved...).

Well I get what you mean, but also I saw this video while browsing on Newgrounds. And it really hit me what some people went through. So here's the link-http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/191882

Triple post, sorry guys.

Well I get what you mean, but also I saw this video while browsing on Newgrounds. And it really hit me what some people went through. So here's the link-http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/191882 EDIT: Sorry for the triple post, must've been a glitch in the Escapist's website or something.

The difference being that we were at war at the time (the name of the war escapes me but I think most of the World was involved...).

In the grand scheme of things its not huge. Worse happens all over the world but the change to Americans was huge and many Americans believe they are the only country that matters.

In the UK we had regular terrorist from the IRA for decades... While a lot of their arms and funding came from the US. Apparently UK civilians are less valuable than US civilians. The US learned that terrorism isnt funny on 9/11. It was only at this point that America stopped funding the IRA

Well according to a crude google search the average number of deaths a each day is around 150,000 which means in the grand scheme of things 9/11 was less tragic and/or dangerous than most everyday causes of death.

The idea that the attack was completely unprovoked (it was a backlash from several decades of meddling in the middle east supposedly) is sort of silly but it was in a time of general peace for american citizens so the mistake is understandable.

Being Australian and as such completely detached from the event I'll agree with my 7 year old self and pretty much say "lul not my problem". It should I suppose be known as the day America got formally invited to the Ball that they had already been paying for.

Speaking as a non-American, it was probably a lot worse for the Middle East then for America.

It wasn't even close to a tragedy compared to all the things that the USA does to other countries.
It's just blown out of proportion.

It's the first time that the average american was confronted by reality, so they just shit their pants. My reaction when I watched about it on the news? Welcome to the real world USA. Now you see what you brought to your self.

The idea was unprovoked? Are you serious? Now would be the perfect time for my "Joker" laugh. The "world police" killed more innocent in the middle east and brought more terror than the middle east will ever do to the USA.

The average US citizen still hates Japan for Pearl Harbor, jet they don't know why the 11.9 happened.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sorry for everyone that died. Human life is precious and it's a shame that it is lost because of human idiocy and selfishness. But it was neither a big tragedy, nor was it unprovoked.

Well, maybe they also hate the USA for using the retarded imperial unit system and writing the month before the day...

As I said, welcome to reality.

It wasn't just the loss of nearly 3,000 people, the World Trade Center towers were destroyed and there was the sheer amount of damage and clean up necessary after the event. It's something people will remember for the rest of their life.

Also, the attack on 9/11 wasn't just an attack on people. It was an attack on American. I say this because most people forget that the attack wasn't only directed toward the Twin towers but it was part of a simutaneous attack. Targets included the Pentagon and possibly the White House. Luckily the plane that we believe was heading toward the White House went down in a field in Pennsylvania before reaching its destination. Image if the attack was a complete success? No more White House, Pentagon damaged, and the trade centers? America would be in much worse shape than it is with its Political, Military, and Economic heads destroyed.

It was bad because it shattered many's apparently fragile sense of invincibility. It was a moment when Americans, faced with the prospect that pissing into the eyes of the world with a blatant message of "WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY SINGLE WAY", weeped and fled from everything ever. I am, of course, refering to such silliness as the anecdotal story of a theatre in eagle fucking river, alaska going into lock-down to keep its patrons safe, as well as plenty of other such stories.
In affect, it wasn't that people died. It's that a foreigner killed an [/i]american[/i]. It's something most people have never apparently imagined could happen. They made god bleed, and god curled up into the fetal position and weeped itself to sleep for the next decade or so while telling the world that its single attack was more tragic than the repeated and ongoing attacks that most other countries were going through.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked