Are YOU Uncorruptable?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I put this in religion and politics because I pose a question: If you were in congress/parliament/senate/something similar of which I don't know the name, would you be unable to be corrupted by bribes and corporate donations?

Personally I'd like to think so. I have everything I think I need in life, and while there are things I want, I see them as extravagance if anything else. I don't need millions of dollars or a fancy car or big house.

How would you fare?

Honestly my corruptability probably depends on the opinions of my friends. Atm... I think I'd have to remain fairly uncorruptable to be happy with their opinion of me.

Though there are some things I simply wouldn't do. But for the most part I can't say that I care enough.

I would try very hard to not fall with the promises of money. Get good advisors that can call me out on that kind of thing and can convince me to not do stupid things. I would try of making a habit to ignore where campaign funds are coming from, and report any bribe offered to me.

However, I would think threats of revealing a deep, dark secret to bring down my ratings would be more convincing than money.

Thankfully, the only one I would need to worry about (as of yet) is my Pony obsession.

Everybody has their price, that's a fact regardless of what anyone says.

Not G. Ivingname:

Thankfully, the only one I would need to worry about (as of yet) is my Pony obsession.

I've found quite a few shocking MLP rule 34s... would hate to have to make claims of where I found them ;)

usmarine4160:

Not G. Ivingname:

I've found quite a few shocking MLP rule 34s... would hate to have to make claims of where I found them ;)

This. If you are have never been corrupt it just means no one has offered you enough of an incentive yet.

I definitely would not be 'corrupt' in Australia. The chance of being caught far outweighs any potential gains here.

In the US it would be a different story. I would not go as far as accepting 'corporate donations' for something I do not actually believe in, but I would gladly accept 'corporate donations' for things I would probably support anyway. Technically this is not corruption though, it is "freedom of speech".

usmarine4160:

Not G. Ivingname:

OT: I do wonder how many incorruptable politicians in history their has really been.

Can I count it on one hand or two I wonder...

I should certainly like to think so, at least as far as we view corruption today. Money has very little value to me and I have an inherent distrust of all businessmen so I don't think I could be bought off. However, I do have a habit of trying to amass as much power as I can in most situations. If I ever had the ammount of power and control over things that I want, I don't know that I wouldn't eventually abuse it.

usmarine4160:

What a cynic you are! I think history disagrees with your assertion.

If I was a politician? I couldn't compromise my principles for money. I would never be able to live with myself if I did. For this reason I could never be a politician, especially not in my own country. Raising funds for a successful campaign would be impossible.

It all depends on what you define as corruption. For example, I (or my super pac) would take money from certain groups that had the same views as me, as I would already be doing the things that they might think was in their favor. But other groups, oil corporations, corporations like Philip Morris, and pretty much any religious group would never be able to buy me. I'm a pretty steadfast kind of guy, I don not bend unless I think it would be beneficial, and for me, compromising my ideals for money isn't beneficial.

If you define corruption as simply taking money from outside groups, I'd be considered corrupt and be completely fine with it.

GrimTuesday:
It all depends on what you define as corruption. For example, I (or my super pac) would take money from certain groups that had the same views as me, as I would already be doing the things that they might think was in their favor. But other groups, oil corporations, corporations like Philip Morris, and pretty much any religious group would never be able to buy me. I'm a pretty steadfast kind of guy, I don not bend unless I think it would be beneficial, and for me, compromising my ideals for money isn't beneficial.

If you define corruption as simply taking money from outside groups, I'd be considered corrupt and be completely fine with it.

I define corrupt as selling out your ideals, though that kinda raises questions to me if some of the people that get "donations" from oil companies are corrupt or not.

No, my ethics and morals have their price I'm sure.

Zekksta:
No, my ethics and morals have their price I'm sure.

So good sir, I just want you to put your signature on the "Business Freedom act." Just a small little bill that allows me to buy our smaller competition without their premission or paying them anything... just need to give 1 million dollars to Goldmen and Sacs.

I dunno. I guess everybody has a price, the question is how high it is. Right now, politicians are bribed with table scraps while forming laws that save their donors hundreds of millions of dollars. Extremely good investment for those donors. I'd probably at least require a higher price to sell out than many other politicians, although I cannot guarantee I'd be completely uncorruptable.

usmarine4160:

Indeed. The price may not necessarily be monetary, but anyone who considers themselves above corruption should think again. Me? I haven't yet encountered anything I'd sell myself out for, but I can't say for sure that there indeed isn't anything.

Give me a new laptop & speakers and you're set for life. I think it's very hard to find someone who would genuinely not be corrupted by politics.

No...well, depends.

If the rules applied to everyone else, if they had to play fair or get caught and punished, then I can abide by that.

If everyone else is doing it, I'm not obliged to play nice, the bargain has been broken.

I believe EVERYONE is corruptable. We all have different prices, but we can be bought. For some its a particular $ value. For others it might be the health/life/needs of their children/loved ones. Power is call enough for some. Or perhaps its "the greater good" where you convince yourself that doing A which you shouldn't/don't want to will allow you to be able to do B that is so very important.

Everyone has his price. The trick is setting it higher than the worth of what you can do.

I achieve this by being completely and utterly useless. It makes living a moral life quite easy.

I cannot claim to be "uncorruptable".

I would not accept cash bribes of any kind, I've got too much personal pride in my sense of self reliance and actually prefer a relatively simple lifestyle to a high cost opulent one.

I cannot however claim that I wouldn't make other deals. Just as an example, I firmly believe that homosexual couple deserve every single right their counterpart couples enjoy. But if it came to that choice, I would indeed delay or even harm the progress on that cause if it meant gaining support for what I believe to be a more immediate problem.

Picking battles like that is fine in my opinion so long as the individual is correct in their judgment on which issue is more important, and so long as there is no way to achieve both. The problem is twofold, it is easy to be misled, and it is also far too easy to become accustomed to giving ground, including on issues that should be supported almost regardless of the cost.

Everybody has their... oh wait, that's been said already.

I'm almost positive that I would crumble if the right amount of money or power was offered. I'd probably justify it by saying "well, think how much good I could do with this fat wad of cash - and anyway, if I didn't accept it, one of my colleagues would, and they're all untrustworthy b*stards..."

We're all only human!

The one bribe I'd fall victim to would be:
''Bullet in the brain if you don't accept''. At which point I would agree and do my damndest to get revenge.

I don't know about incorruptible...

But yeah, I wouldn't take bribes or waste tons of taxpayer money on personal stuff.

Which is exactly the reason I'd never be allowed to join a political party.

It depends on what I would be taking the bribe for. Looking the other way for a murder? No way.

Durgiun:
The one bribe I'd fall victim to would be:
''Bullet in the brain if you don't accept''. At which point I would agree and do my damndest to get revenge.

This.

I don't give a rats ass about money or influence, I've passed on both numerous times already. In fact, I think I'd enjoy being the stubborn one and publicly crusading against those who tried to buy me off.

Sexual Harassment Panda:
I don't give a rats ass about money or influence, I've passed on both numerous times already.

Still that's not to say conclusively. A teacher at secondary school I really got along with told me once that someone's father tried to bribe her with a suitcase with 40.000 guilders (the former Dutch currency) to make his son not fail his year. At the time that was like four or five years worth of salary for a teacher, and all she needed to do was change a single 5,1 mark to a 5,5 (on a 1 to 10 scale).

She kicked him out (or at least told me she did), but I can see why in such low-impact, tons of money situations, people are far more likely to accept than it would be to do something outrageous or illegal.

I'd also love to say I never would in any circumstance, but as nobody's tried to bribe me yet, we can't know for certain. Maybe even if you have a strong feeling of justice, it gets possible to take bribes if what you have to do or not do doesn't really damage anyone.

And it's also subtle at times. Bribery includes more than paying a pile of money to commit or ignore a crime. I remember some guy who came to lobby for a certain brand of medication, probably for the seller of the drug. He walked in and said he needed to make an appointment with a doctor, and would have if it wasn't for our receptionist double-checking the patients database. All he was after was talking apparently. Maybe he also had something else to offer, I don't know. In the end I was asked to make him leave as he wouldn't get the point that only actual patients can get an appointment, and he did so without complaint at the first request. In fact, he seemed to think he'd done something wrong the moment he saw me approach.

But if he'd made that appointment, surprised one of our doctors with a promo-talk about medication, does that fall under corruption? I don't know really. It was certainly unwanted, but it was still more like advertising than anything else.

Blablahb:

Sexual Harassment Panda:
I don't give a rats ass about money or influence, I've passed on both numerous times already.

Still that's not to say conclusively. A teacher at secondary school I really got along with told me once that someone's father tried to bribe her with a suitcase with 40.000 guilders (the former Dutch currency) to make his son not fail his year. At the time that was like four or five years worth of salary for a teacher, and all she needed to do was change a single 5,1 mark to a 5,5 (on a 1 to 10 scale).

She kicked him out (or at least told me she did), but I can see why in such low-impact, tons of money situations, people are far more likely to accept than it would be to do something outrageous or illegal.

I'd also love to say I never would in any circumstance, but as nobody's tried to bribe me yet, we can't know for certain. Maybe even if you have a strong feeling of justice, it gets possible to take bribes if what you have to do or not do doesn't really damage anyone.

And it's also subtle at times. Bribery includes more than paying a pile of money to commit or ignore a crime. I remember some guy who came to lobby for a certain brand of medication, probably for the seller of the drug. He walked in and said he needed to make an appointment with a doctor, and would have if it wasn't for our receptionist double-checking the patients database. All he was after was talking apparently. Maybe he also had something else to offer, I don't know. In the end I was asked to make him leave as he wouldn't get the point that only actual patients can get an appointment, and he did so without complaint at the first request. In fact, he seemed to think he'd done something wrong the moment he saw me approach.

But if he'd made that appointment, surprised one of our doctors with a promo-talk about medication, does that fall under corruption? I don't know really. It was certainly unwanted, but it was still more like advertising than anything else.

Whilst I admit I haven't been tested to my limits(how could I have been?)...I also know myself pretty well at this point.

I'm more than happy to sacrifice money or material gains for self-respect. In the given scenario, where I'm a senator/congressman/politician...I'm already doing just fine. I don't see any reason to sell my soul for even more pointless wealth accumulation.

Who knows?

But I have been in situations where I was invited by superiors to behave unethically, with a decent potential reward and almost no consequence for the behavior. I still didn't do it. So while I can't rule out that I can't be bought, I do know at least that there is a mark that the price must be higher than.

As I am now? I'd be susceptible to a big bribe. I make peanuts. As a congressman? I'd make more than enough to turn down bribes. Basically, if I make a lot of money and I have job security, I couldn't care less about moar money.

Im quite certain that I can be bought/blackmailed or whatever.

But this is just guess works since I cannot know for certain since nobody have tried to bribe/blackmail me.

I would never go against my own principles for the sake of bribes, but if it was something minor, maybe I wouldn't care that much.
Then again, I really have all the money I need. Maybe by giving myself a stern talking to I could manage to do the right thing...

Then again: Who knows?

I'm under the opinion that no one is uncorruptable.

Everyone has their little niche, their guilty pleasure that someone can bribe them with. Unless someone that has a political position with a fairly great amount of power wants to post in this forum and tell me right now that he is completely uncorrupable, I don't think I'll be changing my opinion on that any time, either.

I'm more difficult to corrupt, but not incorruptible.

If i was offered a bribe i would take the bribe.... then not do what they asked. Ha ha ha trusting JERKS.

I dont think I would sell out my ideals for money, at all. Of course it depends on the consequences of the bribe and all that. But I dont think I would do that if my corruption would spawn suffering for others.

Now, blackmail, on the other hand? I think I would crack fast under blackmail.

Blobpie:
I'm more difficult to corrupt, but not incorruptible.

If i was offered a bribe i would take the bribe.... then not do what they asked. Ha ha ha trusting JERKS.

Have fun getting shot/have fun when the bribing party reveals you took the money. It wont matter if you gave in to their demands then.

Whos laughing now?

For corporate donations, I believe I could be. Better yet, I'll take their money and do precisely nothing that they want me to do, it's not like they have any legal recourse. Bribes? Never going to do it and will immediately report the attempted briber.

To the perks of the job, however, I'm not invulnerable.

Money no, wealth, no, power... I'm in Government?

However you will often find that what happens when you refuse semi-corruption, the hand offering turns to a fist and powers work against you. ie Ron Paul is hated by some area's of big big business. Why? He'll stop America being a private contractor. They don't like that.

That is one example (not that I like Ron, I merely hate him the least).

I honestly don't know how long an uncorrruptable person could remain in power. Someone would need not only to be incorruptible, but be cleaner than Jesus >.>

Also let us remind ourselves that often the people who get into power are rich:

Often us lot think ooh they get paid sooooooo much. I'd be happy with that. However, they coming from their background are most certainly not. Therefore, as opportunity presents itself... they believe it is just a perk of the job to receive: money, special privileges, exclusive events in the form of lobbying, when they are "invited" by a "friend". The rest of us... call it corruption >.>

Those who come from a more humble background are more likely to be satisfied with their role and not get embroiled by the greed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked