Sopa already exists (in the UK???)

Fellow travellers hark at the long, long, long arm of US law, which has found a chap guilty in the UK- that is a UK citizen, guilty of breaking a US law, which in the UK is not illegal. This fellow created a list of sites where you could fileshare (n.b he downloaded nothing himself. This made me a wee bit irked, so I'll let you read it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086310/No-free-TV-Student-set-file-sharing-website-extradited-judge-rules.html

Discuss:

"The court heard that his website, TVShack.net, was earning 15,000 a month from advertising revenue."

Ah. That changes things somewhat.

But it's long been recognised that the US/UK extradition laws are unfair on the UK.

Yeah, screw our extradition treaty.

But more on topic, we do have a law similar to SOPA already in place called the Digital Economy Act. It's been around for a few years and there really hasn't been much change (it's still a crap law).

thaluikhain:
"The court heard that his website, TVShack.net, was earning 15,000 a month from advertising revenue."

How so?

He didn't commit any crime under UK law while he was in the UK.

Olrod:

thaluikhain:

How so?

True, but it allows them to pretend they have a good reason for doing it, rather than obviously dancing to the US's tune.

thaluikhain:

Olrod:

thaluikhain:

How so?

True, but it allows them to pretend they have a good reason for doing it, rather than obviously dancing to the US's tune.

It's not even a pretend good reason. If this guy's website is in breach on the Digital Economy Act then so is google. What happens if you search 'pirate bay' or even 'torrent' on google? You get links to pirate websites. I'd like to think that the government (both UK and US) is at least going to be consistent and pick a fight with google, but I doubt it somehow!
In fact, from what I remember the DEA says nothing about linking to copyrighted content. It's about getting ISPs to block sites that HOST copyrighted content. This guy isn't an ISP, and isn't hosting, so the DEA is a massive strawman by the government.

It's not a crime in the UK (incidentally, is posting links to pirate websites a crime in the US?), so surely unless his website was actually hosted in the US, there's no grounds for prosecution?

OneCatch :

thaluikhain:

Olrod:
SNIP

SNIP

It's not even a pretend good reason. If this guy's website is in breach on the Digital Economy Act then so is google. What happens if you search 'pirate bay' or even 'torrent' on google? You get links to pirate websites. I'd like to think that the government (both UK and US) is at least going to be consistent and pick a fight with google, but I doubt it somehow!
In fact, from what I remember the DEA says nothing about linking to copyrighted content. It's about getting ISPs to block sites that HOST copyrighted content. This guy isn't an ISP, and isn't hosting, so the DEA is a massive strawman by the government.

It's not a crime in the UK (incidentally, is posting links to pirate websites a crime in the US?), so surely unless his website was actually hosted in the US, there's no grounds for prosecution?

Even if the website was hosted on US servers there would still be no grounds for prosecution as the actual actions (specifically setting up and posting on the site) were performed in the UK. This decision is bullshit of the highest order.

OriginalLadders:
Even if the website was hosted on US servers there would still be no grounds for prosecution as the actual actions (specifically setting up and posting on the site) were performed in the UK. This decision is bullshit of the highest order.

Really?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22467

Sign here! The official Government website.
Also spread this among friends as though they may give 0 fucks... a signature is still a signature. Also unlike the American equivilant, a sucessful petition results in a parlimentary discussion.

---------------------------

If SOPA comes into force, we NEED the extradition laws changed!

Yea, UK really has a firm 'nanny'-culture. But since it's a democracy , the majority wants it that way. Good luck there in UK.

Wulfheri:
Yea, UK really has a firm 'nanny'-culture. But since it's a democracy , the majority wants it that way. Good luck there in UK.

He says writing from Belgium.

Its more apathy from "voters" as... most people just... didn't give a shit, therefore the Government was allowed to just sign treaties handing over our citizens with little reguard to their safty or the nature of the crime or even where it was committed.

Christ, it took the European Court to prevent the US demanding a citizen being extradited due to the fact the state he committed the crime held the death penalty.

The new problem is crimes are committed on the web and... who has juristiction there? Well the USA then demands people for committing crimes. We need to change the Extradition Treaty in response.

OriginalLadders:

OneCatch :

thaluikhain:
SNIP

Indeed. Given what you've just said, it's even more bullshitty than I thought. And I ALREADY thought it was bullshit!

You used the dailymail as a source.

You forfeit the discussion.

Amphoteric:
You used the dailymail as a source.

You forfeit the discussion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/jan/13/piracy-student-loses-us-extradition

There's a Guardian Source

The Discussion is far from Forfeited...

I said this earlier somewhere else.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/528.338070.13670524

Comando96:
Firstly they are televised. A 3 hour discussion is pretty much a clear cut news paper article. The Guardian and the Daily Mail will find themself in a strange alliance. Guardian for Liberty and Civil Rights, the Mail... jingoistic fury.

A strange alliance but... the mail makes for more sensationalist reading. The Guardian is the counter-article/fallback

Ignore Please

Dumb Post

Have there been any updates to this case?

Heh, I read the title as "Soap already exists (in the UK???)".

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked