Why is anal sex forbidden by most abrahamic religions?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

One of the arguments I've heard is that God doesn't find anything wrong with homosexuals, but it is a sin to engage in sexual acts other than vaginal intercourse. The only thing that this would provide an advantage for is in a group with a small population trying to reproduce, but we no longer live in a small population.

So why is it a sin? If God really wanted to make it a sin, then why did he make it so pleasurable for both parties involved? I can understand the person on top having an experience similar to vaginal penetration and having it feel good, but why does it feel so good to be on the receiving end?

From what i understand, it is called sodomy to engage in any act that isn't vaginal sex. So what about cases where men have anal sex with women? Is it just as bad, and why?

It seems to me that before homosexuals can make any sort of ground with fundamentalists, then this has to be changed.

EDIT: I was wrong about the bible. I was going off of doctrine I had been told and implications by saying gay sex is bad. I admit to being wrong when it comes to all of them except islam. so dead topic is dead

The same reason many things are a "Sin". The very concept of a Sin is essentially just a primitive system of law, and most of the things listed as sins would have been considered negative for the societies at the time. Religion was just an early form of Government with the backup of celestial beings.

Problem is, we no longer live in those societies with the same needs. But religion tries to tell us the same things are bad.

'Cause those moral rules stem from a time when the group was a small population. Why do you think the Catholic church is so opposed to condoms? Not because they explicitely want to spread HIV but because they want sex to be reproductive, not for enjoyment. Having anal sex with your girlfriend does not lead to reproduction.

In the Netherlands today, we consider bestiality a sin, uh, a crime, even while we have got laws that criminalizes cruelty to animals. ?!?! Lot of people on this forum seem to agree with the law, so you could ask them why they consider it a sin/crime.

taciturnCandid:
One of the arguments I've heard is that God doesn't find anything wrong with homosexuals, but it is a sin to engage in sexual acts other than vaginal intercourse. The only thing that this would provide an advantage for is in a group with a small population trying to reproduce, but we no longer live in a small population.

So why is it a sin? If God really wanted to make it a sin, then why did he make it so pleasurable for both parties involved? I can understand the person on top having an experience similar to vaginal penetration and having it feel good, but why does it feel so good to be on the receiving end?

From what i understand, it is called sodomy to engage in any act that isn't vaginal sex. So what about cases where men have anal sex with women? Is it just as bad, and why?

It seems to me that before homosexuals can make any sort of ground with fundamentalists, then this has to be changed.

Well for the Jewish answer...

Anal and oral sex are covered by the same law, and they are not prohibited. In some cases, they can be seen as required.

No where in Torah is anal sex commented on. All that is commented on is men having sex with men (which of course doesn't required anal)

A man may do to, and with, his wife anything that they desire. In fact if it is her desire, it can be argued it is a requirement on the man to do what pleases her wife (the reverse is not true, she may refuse any sex act at any time).

The only condition is it can't reduce the chance of procreation. In some understandings that means that if a woman performs oral on a man it might be better for her not to "finish" him but if a man performs oral on a woman he may fully please her.

As a married couple you are supposed to have a healthy and enjoyable sex life to encourage more sex, which is of course a blessing.

Skeleon:
'Cause those moral rules stem from a time when the group was a small population. Why do you think the Catholic church is so opposed to condoms? Not because they explicitely want to spread HIV but because they want sex to be reproductive, not for enjoyment. Having anal sex with your girlfriend does not lead to reproduction.

Let's try this one out on you...

1) You and your wife both LOVE anal. Biggest turn on you have.
2) You slap an condom, and take her anally
3) You pull out, after a min or two, take off the condom, and finish up in the vagina.

How did that anal sex reduce the chance of reproduction? It can be argued that it increased the chances of reproduction since your enjoyable sex life may lead to having more sex and thus more chances at babies.

Danyal:
In the Netherlands today, we consider bestiality a sin, uh, a crime, even while we have got laws that criminalizes cruelty to animals. ?!?! Lot of people on this forum seem to agree with the law, so you could ask them why they consider it a sin/crime.

animals have no way to consent. its also mentally damaging for the animal and changes the animals mental understanding of human beings. plus its excessively cruel and not natural.

keiskay:

Danyal:

animals have no way to consent. its also mentally damaging for the animal and changes the animals mental understanding of human beings. plus its excessively cruel and not natural.

In a kind of Utopian world where all animals get treated this way, I could understand your vision. If you are vegetarian and oppose people who eat meat, I could understand your arguments.

But...
-mentally damaging -> we've already got laws banning cruelty to animals/unnecessary suffering
-excessively cruel -> we've already got laws banning cruelty to animals/unnecessary suffering

And...
-nearly everyone who opposes bestiality and is in favor of the ban, EATS MEAT!
Sex with animals is rape? And how would you call the locking up of animals and killing them at the end of their imprisonment to eat them?

Also,

"But a dog fucking a woman is a different situation entirely. A male dog won't get an erection and actively take control of humping a woman unless it wants to; I know, because I've had dogs wander off or lay down and go to sleep on set if they're not in the mood! And of course, you can't make a male dog fuck a woman against its will. And they must enjoy it, because they come back for more; we've had to train Elvis not to jump on Stray in public."
http://www.bizarremag.com/news-and-videos/latest-features/8293/animal_sex.html

keiskay:

Danyal:

Now how can you demonstrate that harm to an animal? What makes it any more unnatural and damaging than teaching a dog to do a trick? I'm not saying I'm pro beastiality, but your reason doesn't seem to hold water.

I once saw a video of a woman with her german sheppard. He seemed quite interested and happy about it. He mounted her like he would a dog in heat and was more than enthusiastic. If there was any cruelty there, it might have been to the human from what I saw lol.

I think its a pure cultural choice we make.

(And I can't believe I'm even a little on Danyal's side in a thread lol)

I have read that Islam explicitly forbids anal sex.[1] I have no idea why. I don't know of explicit prohibitions of anal sex from Judaism or Christianity. I suspect such claims are not explicit textual prohibitions and are more interpretations to try and explain prohibitions against gay sex.

Incidentally, while the word sodomy does derive from the Biblical tale of Sodom and Gomorrah and is interpreted in present-day English to mean any sex that isn't vaginal, there is good evidence to believe the original crimes of Sodom and Gomorrah that resulted in their being destroyed by God was not that they practiced homosexuality but that they practiced a general sort of wickedness and inhospitable treatment to guests.[2] As I understand it the change of interpretation here is largely after the advent of Christianity.

[1] It's interesting that Islam seems to have an official position about a lot of specific sex acts. From what I've read (and I'm no theologian when it comes to Islam since I speak like two words of Arabic) oral sex is officially acceptable if it is necessary for pleasuring one's spouse, but it's not exactly desirable. Which personally I find disappointing because in that area I really enjoy giving. Though I suppose it's a moot point because as I am a non-Muslim man, I understand it is against the religion for a Muslim woman to marry me and marriage would be the only circumstance where any sort of intimate contact would be permitted.
[2] Unfortunately this Wikipedia article has been edited since I last read it and one of the key arguments has been removed- the use of gendered pronouns in the original Hebrew text. I don't speak Hebrew at all, but apparently the language has pronouns that IIRC allow specifying a collective of all men, a collective of all women, or a collective of mixed or indeterminate gender. The crucial incident in this story is when the crowd comes to Lot and demands he give them his angelic visitors so the people of the city "may know them" (have sex with them). Modern English translations of this story always tell it specifying that both the crowd and the angels were men, but IIRC in the original Hebrew this is not specified at all, and the crowd is described with the mixed or unknown-gender pronoun. Which means the crime isn't gay buttsex, because otherwise the original authors wouldn't have needed ambiguity. The crime is attempting to rape guests.

Kendarik:

3) You pull out, after a min or two, take off the condom, and finish up in the vagina.

How did that anal sex reduce the chance of reproduction? It can be argued that it increased the chances of reproduction since your enjoyable sex life may lead to having more sex and thus more chances at babies.

Wait, what? That entire post is weird.

Why would I specifically finish in her vagina without a condom if we want to have sex for enjoyment? I'd take a new condom for the vaginal intercourse. The sex remains non-reproductive and the Catholic church gets pissed.

Are you merely trying to point out a way how the church might possibly be okay with anal sex? If so, I'd say that the origin of anal sex being sinful presumably lies in it being non-reproductive, but that this idea of it being sinful took on a life of its own, so to speak. Yeah, you can circumvent the non-reproductivity if you really want, but the stigma on anal sex is now too strong on its own already.

Katatori-kun:
The crime is attempting to rape guests.

Yes, that was the crime. Not just for Jews but for any of the desert nations in that area at the time, refusing to give safe shelter guests, even enemies, was unacceptable and evil.

Skeleon:

Kendarik:

Wait, what? That entire post is weird.

Why would I specifically finish in her vagina without a condom if we want to have sex for enjoyment? I'd take a new condom for the vaginal intercourse. The sex remains non-reproductive and the Catholic church gets pissed.

Are you merely trying to point out a way how the church might possibly be okay with anal sex? If so, I'd say that the origin of anal sex being sinful presumably lies in it being non-reproductive, but that this idea of it being sinful took on a life of its own, so to speak. Yeah, you can circumvent the non-reproductivity if you really want, but the stigma on anal sex is now too strong on its own already.

I was referring to your last comment about anal being non procreating, not the condom part.

And yes, stigma is different than what the religion actually says.

Kendarik:

keiskay:

Danyal:

Now how can you demonstrate that harm to an animal? What makes it any more unnatural and damaging than teaching a dog to do a trick? I'm not saying I'm pro beastiality, but your reason doesn't seem to hold water.

I once saw a video of a woman with her german sheppard. He seemed quite interested and happy about it. He mounted her like he would a dog in heat and was more than enthusiastic. If there was any cruelty there, it might have been to the human from what I saw lol.

Danyal:

keiskay:

Danyal:

In a kind of Utopian world where all animals get treated this way, I could understand your vision. If you are vegetarian and oppose people who eat meat, I could understand your arguments.

But...
-mentally damaging -> we've already got laws banning cruelty to animals/unnecessary suffering
-excessively cruel -> we've already got laws banning cruelty to animals/unnecessary suffering

And...
Sex with animals is rape? And how would you call the locking up of animals and killing them at the end of their imprisonment to eat them?

Also,

"But a dog fucking a woman is a different situation entirely. A male dog won't get an erection and actively take control of humping a woman unless it wants to; I know, because I've had dogs wander off or lay down and go to sleep on set if they're not in the mood! And of course, you can't make a male dog fuck a woman against its will. And they must enjoy it, because they come back for more; we've had to train Elvis not to jump on Stray in public."

well show me a study were animals have interspecies relations with other animals and i will concede my point. now without them being taught to have sex with an other species (humans and dogs/horses).

Kendarik:
I was referring to your last comment about anal being non procreating, not the condom part.

Well, the anal part isn't what's reproductive about that scenario, is it?

But yes, as I said, I believe that this may very well be the origin of the stigma and I don't think making a "detour" like that will make the people who agree with that stigma suddenly be fine with anal sex.

keiskay:

Kendarik:

keiskay:

Danyal:

keiskay:

But...

And...

Also,

well show me a study were animals have interspecies relations with other animals and i will concede my point. now without them being taught to have sex with an other species (humans and dogs/horses).

Show me studies where animals are trained by other animals to do stupid pet tricks.

And since you want studies, show me studies where this harm you talk about is documented.

Skeleon:

Kendarik:

Well, the anal part isn't what's reproductive about that scenario, is it?

But yes, as I said, I believe that this may very well be the origin of the stigma and I don't think making a "detour" like that will make the people who agree with that stigma suddenly be fine with anal sex.

Maybe not all people. Hang ups are hang ups.

Danyal:

Nice thread derailment.

OT: I wasn't aware that it was forbidden explicitly...I thought it was entirely ok for Christians at least. Either way, there isn't that much emphasis on banning it, but I suppose it'd be to increase population size, back when these religions first came about.

Esotera:

Danyal:

Nice thread derailment.

OT: I wasn't aware that it was forbidden explicitly...I thought it was entirely ok for Christians at least. Either way, there isn't that much emphasis on banning it, but I suppose it'd be to increase population size, back when these religions first came about.

Nope, a lot of complaints against bestiality are exactly the same as the whining about anal sex. Did you immediately see the claims that OOH IT ISN'T NATURAL?!

Kendarik:

keiskay:

Kendarik:

Danyal:

But...

And...

Also,

Show me studies where animals are trained by other animals to do stupid pet tricks.

And since you want studies, show me studies where this harm you talk about is documented.

http://stopbestiality.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/negative-effects-of-bestiality-on-dogs/

Danyal:

Esotera:

Danyal:

Nice thread derailment.

Nope, a lot of complaints against bestiality are exactly the same as the whining about anal sex. Did you immediately see the claims that OOH IT ISN'T NATURAL?!

Look, sorry to all the people out there who are lustfully eying their dog, but there is no way you can compare the two. One is a matter of a human fucking a human. The other is a human fucking a different animal.

Danyal:

But this thread isn't about bestiality, it's about why anal sex is forbidden by most Abrahamic religions. And so far you haven't posted anything regarding to the topic, and caused several other people to do the same. I'm not sure if this is explicitly against the forum rules, but it certainly isn't very courteous towards the OP.

Kendarik:

keiskay:

Danyal:

after thinking about it by your logic in this post pedophilia is also okay. the little girls and boys are simply taught thats its a fun game to play and from what I've heard they enjoy it. same with rape, rape victims moan and orgasm during rape so should rape be legal to?

I guess the rule was created because it was viewed as unclean, same reason as pork being forbidden in some places.

keiskay:

after thinking about it by your logic in this post pedophilia is also okay. the little girls and boys are simply taught thats its a fun game to play and from what I've heard they enjoy it. same with rape, rape victims moan and orgasm during rape so should rape be legal to?

And you probably eat children's meat, don't you?

Humans, animals, difference. Eating animals doesn't lead to eating children, having sex with animals doesn't lead to having sex with children.

Danyal:

keiskay:

Humans, animals, difference. Eating animals doesn't lead to eating children, having sex with animals doesn't lead to having sex with children.

your using a strawman argument danyal, i never said anything about eating meat, or banging dogs leading to banging children. im just stating that your justifications are the same justifications of pedophiles and rapist.

keiskay:

Danyal:

keiskay:

your using a strawman argument danyal, i never said anything about eating meat, or banging dogs leading to banging children. im just stating that your justifications are the same justifications of pedophiles and rapist.

Strawman argument? Did you learn something from Ghetsemani?

This the logic a pedophile/rapist uses?

But...

And...

Also,

You eat animal meat?! WELL THAT MEANS I CAN HAVE SEX WITH CHILDREN OR RAPE ANYONE, MUHAHAHA!

We don't give a shit about animal consent, because we don't ask the consent of animals then we imprison and murder then.
We dó give a shit about the consent of animals, ánd we don't give children the ability to consent.

keiskay:

http://stopbestiality.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/negative-effects-of-bestiality-on-dogs/

Not that I'm taking sides here, but some unattributed blog doesn't really help your case. While it's possible that the content there has some basis in fact, it cannot be verified.

Kendarik asked for studies and you gave him a blog of personal anecdotes. Were you in his shoes, would you consider that sufficient? I think not.

keiskay:

Danyal:

keiskay:

Danyal:

Strawman argument? Did you learn something from Ghetsemani?

This the logic a pedophile/rapist uses?

But...

And...

Also,

You eat animal meat?! WELL THAT MEANS I CAN HAVE SEX WITH CHILDREN OR RAPE ANYONE, MUHAHAHA!

We don't give a shit about animal consent, because we don't ask the consent of animals then we imprison and murder then.
We dó give a shit about the consent of animals, ánd we don't give children the ability to consent.

im sorry but you're way to passionate about your lust for animals that you refuse to read anything i have quoted or wrote. please re-read the thread and come up with a REAL argument for why you want to have relations with animals.

keiskay:

I could have sworn I said study, not a random blog with no evidence beyond their opinion.

keiskay:

Kendarik:

keiskay:

I'm not really that interested in the topic...but the only thing that article mentioned on the negative effects was the dog perceives the act as an act of domination on its part. And, further, from a -dog owner's- perspective this is a bad or negative thing and to be discouraged by a responsible owner. The only other point in made in the article was that sex with humans can make some more submissive dogs nervous.

So...that all you got? x)

Edit: I should probably note at this point that I am neither for nor against sex with animals, dogs or otherwise. However, I am vehemently against any activity that will cause direct and immediate or irreparable harm to an animal. Thought I should mention that because I've just realised my avatar looks rather seedy right now. >.>

keiskay:

Danyal:

keiskay:

Actually YOU are the one that brought children into this claiming that they were the same. He was just pointing out that YOUR strawman was full of it because humans != other animals.

GothmogII:

keiskay:

Kendarik:

I'm not really that interested in the topic...but the only thing that article mentioned on the negative effects was the dog perceives the act as an act of domination on its part. And, further, from a -dog owner's- perspective this is a bad or negative thing and to be discouraged by a responsible owner. The only other point in made in the article was that sex with humans can make some more submissive dogs nervous.

So...that all you got? x)

Yeah, and its a weak argument at that considering it would MAKE the case for male humans having sex with female dogs in order to keep them in their place and demonstrate the male dominance.

evilneko:

keiskay:

Not that I'm taking sides here, but some unattributed blog doesn't really help your case. While it's possible that the content there has some basis in fact, it cannot be verified.

Kendarik asked for studies and you gave him a blog of personal anecdotes. Were you in his shoes, would you consider that sufficient? I think not.

keiskay:

and i asked for proof that inter-species relation ships are shown to occur in nature he refused to and claimed i needed to provide proof, there have been no actual studies on the effects of animals being banged by humans since that would be pretty damn hard to get funding for.that and trying find a way that the study is both ethical and non abusive would be difficult. if you read the blog it states the psychology of a dog and how dogs act and view sex, it is much different from the ways humans treat sex.

he stated that the dog was taught a trick and seemed to enjoy and asked whats wrong with that. i stated my point that pedophiles teach there victims that it is a game and many pedophiles state that their victims seemed to enjoy it. rape victims literally moan and can achieve an orgasm during the rape, if they enjoyed it whats wrong with that? rapist themselves have used that very argument to try and justify their actions.

Danyal:

Because the animal does not consent to it, like say a child, that's the main difference I'd guess.

So am I the only one who has noticed that nobody (at least as far as I can see) has actually posted a verse from the Bible concerning anal sex?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked