What if we killed God?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This is an interesting idea I came up with after seeing all the "what if we have proved or disproved God?"

We have killed God.

He existed, he really created the Earth in 7 days, created Heaven and Hell, animal, human, and angel, and his son Jesus died but on the third day was born again. We have irriutable proof that this is God, and not some extremely powerful alien or inter-demnsional being, it was God.

And now he is a corpse, and we, humans, killed him.

Jesus is crying for the death of his father, one third of the angels are grieving with him, one third want to destroy us in war, and the rest are in a coma, being physically unable to even think that God is dead.

The how really doesn't matter. Maybe not enough people were praying to God and he starved, maybe one of our science experiments made it so God doesn't need to exist anymore which caused his death, maybe somebody threw a Nuke at him and he isn't as immortal as he thought, what ever you want the reason to be.

Now, given this circumstance, what would you do now?

Wow, that sounds like the setup to one hell of a badass game. Or movie. Or book. Or television series. Whatever, it sounds badass!

OT: Difficult to say. I would probably keep living my life, but with the fear that since we killed the only thing that kept the demons/satan in check, they will team up with the angels and wipe us from existence...

Business as usual, I guess. I mean, the good angels, IE the ones siding with humanity against god, will demand that the weapon that can cut through dimensions be destroyed, and the churches would still hold onto their power for dear life. Heck, most religious people would probably just make up some new interpretation of something and carry on being religious.

All in all, the war will seem like abit of a waste, but at least Metatron is banished into the abyss, and the land of death isn't a place of torment and suffering anymore, but just a waystation to the dissolution that is the end of life.

Oh, and two lovers will be separated for the rest of their lives. Fuck you, Pullman!

Not G. Ivingname:
This is an interesting idea I came up with after seeing all the "what if we have proved or disproved God?"

We have killed God.

He existed, he really created the Earth in 7 days, created Heaven and Hell, animal, human, and angel, and his son Jesus died but on the third day was born again. We have irriutable proof that this is God, and not some extremely powerful alien or inter-demnsional being, it was God.

Jesus is crying for the death of his father, one third of the angels are grieving with him, one third want to destroy us in war, and the rest are in a coma, being physically unable to even think that God is dead.

The how really doesn't matter. Maybe not enough people were praying to God and he starved, maybe one of our science experiments made it so God doesn't need to exist anymore which caused his death, maybe somebody threw a Nuke at him and he isn't as immortal as he thought, what ever you want the reason to be.

You have no idea how silly the very premise of this question is to me. Hypothetically even if humans could kill God (well in a way we HAVE killed God before), death doesnt mean as much to God as it does to us. God would just bring Himself back when he felt like it.

im more interested on how you would kill an omniscience and omnipotent being that is cause they are. if we had proof god existed why would we kill god? since the existence of god means the existence of the devil.

BreakfastMan:
Wow, that sounds like the setup to one hell of a badass game. Or movie. Or book. Or television series. Whatever, it sounds badass!

Without spoiling too much, if you like the idea of killing Gods...

http://nehrim.de/indexEV.html

Its free. All you need is Oblivion. And its an amazing game. Have fun.

OT: Would it really matter? If anything, it would mean the Earth would finally be free from its tyrannical, almighty dictator. Whether thats a good or a bad thing, who knows? But it has a nice idealist ring to it.

Seekster:

Not G. Ivingname:

We have killed God.

You have no idea how silly the very premise of this question is to me. Hypothetically even if humans could kill God (well in a way we HAVE killed God before), death doesnt mean as much to God as it does to us. God would just bring Himself back when he felt like it.

I believe the OT could to with more specification. Can God bring himself back? What kind of God was it? Did he influence every single happening in our world, down to a butterfly beating its wings?

I would laugh. Because he is supposedly omnipotent. And what he made killed him.
And he knew we would kill him before he made us. He is omniscient, apparently, therefore... So he knowingly killed himself. He knew he would die - he could've intervened. He suicided.

TL;DR
I would laugh. He suicided.

Not G. Ivingname:

Ride Yoshi to the Mushroom Kingdom? You know, since we're talking about complete fantasy here.

The how really doesn't matter.

I'd say the how is crucial. You're asking us how we would respond to an event you do not clearly define. I mean, if we nuked heaven then I think my response would be to make a donation to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki Peace Museums, because they're clearly going to need to construct a new wing.

I do think the Ancient Aliens theorists have got quite good arguments and evidence. Of course, not everything will blow your mind (oh look at this painting with enough interpretations it looks like an astronaut!), but I still haven't entirely dismissed the theory.

-> http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=131941&page=1

But... the original ideas about God were not that he was an omniscient, omnipotent loving father. They were limited instead of omniscient and omnipotent and we were created as slaves instead of loved children.

Genesis 2
15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it
16 "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
20 But for Adam no suitable helper was found

Genesis 3
5 "For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"
11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"
14 "Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman
22 And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

This doesn't sound like an omnipotent father, but as a limited slave driver. We don't sound like his loved children, we sound like helpers (slaves?) who were severely limited in intelligence but became just as intelligent as the slave drivers.

So, a conflict with the 'Gods' doesn't seem that strange.

Also,

Not G. Ivingname:

We have killed God.

If we are talking about the Christian god, what happens now in regards to heaven, hell, and most importantly...does that mean the Lucifer no longer has a being that can really challenge him? *shudder* I hope you killed Lucifer too.

Has no one read Nietzsche? Oh man. Anyway, why would an intangible being have a corpse.

Katatori-kun:

Not G. Ivingname:

Ride Yoshi to the Mushroom Kingdom? You know, since we're talking about complete fantasy here.

The how really doesn't matter.

I'd say the how is crucial. You're asking us how we would respond to an event you do not clearly define. I mean, if we nuked heaven then I think my response would be to make a donation to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki Peace Museums, because they're clearly going to need to construct a new wing.

Ok, why don't you answer the several possabilities then?

If it was done with intent with a Nuke, or other direct military hardware?

If it was an acciddently as result of science, say a particle acceletator or somehting along those lines?

Or if God needed worship at all?

Elcarsh:
Oh, and two lovers will be separated for the rest of their lives. Fuck you, Pullman!

Haha, ninja'd. That reverse-deus-ex-machina was about the one and only part of the trilogy that I disliked ("Nope, you can never see each other again, because the plot demands it. Never mind all the supernatural, flight-of-fantasy stuff that's just happened, you two are destined to be cruelly separated and and there's no getting around it.")

Katatori-kun:

Not G. Ivingname:

Katatori, for shame! You're usually the first to come charging to the defense of people who believe in complete fantasies in this forum, no?

Anyway, back on topic (such that it is). I'd say that since God has arguably been completely inactive since Biblical times (a distinct lack of miracles, unanswered prayers, a cruel indifference to human suffering and natural disasters) then his death would probably go completely unnoticed.

Batou667:
Haha, ninja'd. That reverse-deus-ex-machina was about the one and only part of the trilogy that I disliked ("Nope, you can never see each other again, because the plot demands it. Never mind all the supernatural, flight-of-fantasy stuff that's just happened, you two are destined to be cruelly separated and and there's no getting around it.")

People have termed it "Diabolus ex machina", actually.

Because of that ending, my girlfriend refuses to read that series, because I was going around in a depressed haze for two weeks after finishing that book!

keiskay:
im more interested on how you would kill an omniscience and omnipotent being that is cause they are. if we had proof god existed why would we kill god? since the existence of god means the existence of the devil.

Well, how omniscience is God in the Bible anyway?

He saw fit to stick the tree of knowledge right in the middle of Eden, told Adam and Eve not to eat from it, and then was surprised when they did.

There was another story where it said God was at the head of an army, but was fended away, "...because they had iron chariots."

Maybe shoot him with a ram iron bullet? That kills a lot of creatures (such as faries) in myth.

His Dark Materials book series much, God is killed and a people's Republic of Heaven is set in place.

Fantastic book series.

I'd eat his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Eating bits of some powerful supernatural being ought to grant me supernatural abilities, right?

manic_depressive13:
Has no one read Nietzsche? Oh man. Anyway, why would an intangible being have a corpse.

Well here we're getting the literal version. What Nietzsche meant is probably a discussion with more depth than the literal version -__-

Mortai Gravesend:

Eating bits of some powerful supernatural being ought to grant me supernatural abilities, right?

yeah according to the OP you can create worlds and life, live forever and see everything and know all, but you can still be killed. so its a waste.

manic_depressive13:

Nietzsche meant "God is dead" to us; we no longer truly care about him, and the very few who really do, who constantly only care about him and how we can serve him, are nut jobs in the modern world.

OT: Mourn really. That's all I could think of doing. I'd probably still worship him even in death. Also, I'd try to become Jesus's Right Hand man somehow.

It'd only serve to strengthen my belief in human potential and we don't need to fall back on higher beings to find a purpose. If we humans managed to outright kill the omnipotent being that created us then...well, would there be anything we couldn't do?

Maybe we could focus on the bazillion other supernatural creatures next that need eliminating. You know, the various gods and demons that pit humanity against itself for their amusement or to sow chaos. And, sure, let's find allies among the supernatural beings that are benevolent towards humanity. No reason to discriminate simply based on their ra-... erm, plane of existence. We wouldn't want to be planists, now would we?

Honestly? What would really change? I doubt the strongly religious would be convinced by reports that their god is dead. Maybe we'd see a bit of terrorism against whatever scientists, government, agency or whatever claimed responsibility for the death of that god, but nothing big, really. It's not as if their god intervenes to begin with in any statistically measurable way, so things would just go on as previously.

Depends rather badly on the short and long term impact of that death.

Considering the precise details could cause my reaction to range from absolute despair, to exhilarating joy, to simply putting a bullet in my head to get it over with, to moving on as if little has happened... kinda need more details.

Skeleon:
Honestly? What would really change? I doubt the strongly religious would be convinced by reports that their god is dead. Maybe we'd see a bit of terrorism against whatever scientists, government, agency or whatever claimed responsibility for the death of that god, but nothing big, really. It's not as if their god intervenes to begin with in any statistically measurable way, so things would just go on as previously.

Not necessarily. There are many possible situation in which the death of such a being would fundamentally alter our lives.

Just as an example, what if Satan was a genuine nemesis to humanity, and god's presence the only thing preventing a literal hell on Earth? Or, on the other hand, what if certain Satanist sects were correct, and god's death opened the doors to a new golden age (possibly only for the elite depending on who you ask).

Both scenarios seem unlikely, but then again, with god not only existing, but now dead, all bets are off.

Not G. Ivingname:

We have killed God.

Since you are siting the christian god I'd say you killed the wrong guy. By definition the christian god can't die.

Wrong, he has a three day respawn timer. :P

Kill Mr. House, Caesar, Legate Lanius, and General Oliver to earn a certain achievement from F:NV.

OT: Grab my shotgun and prepare to die trying to fight those pissed-off angels and demons that will inevitably invade Earth.

keiskay:

Mortai Gravesend:

yeah according to the OP you can create worlds and life, live forever and see everything and know all, but you can still be killed. so its a waste.

Not really a waste. Being killable doesn't make the rest of it a waste.

It reminds me of something I wrote about three harddrives ago on the mortallity of gods. Basically, a young Yesua, bumbling carpenter of Nazareth with a few radical ideas aching to grow inside his head, is thrown out from the inn after a misunderstanding, and have to find someplace to spend the night when a storm breaks out. He finds a small cave, and is invited to spend the night by the pair inside.
Who just happen to be old, rather unimportant Kemetic gods with nowhere to go. They are as good as forgotten, since they have not stood the test of time. Furthermore, they are ideas. They don't actually exist, in the way Yesua does. They can only exist as long as people know of them or believe in them, and their cults and believes have long since died out and the written knowledge refering to them are all but gone.

In effect, they're about to die, in the only way a god can die, in the only way an idea can die.

I should see if I can't salvage that idea, actually... Although I should perhaps starr someone else than Jesus the Big J., to avoid having to deal with the potential flamewars that comes naturally as soon Big J. is around.

But indeed, I think a god could die, and I'm sure many, many gods have, as they are forgotten and we can't dechipher what evidence of their cults remain.

Well, if I killed him personally, I take his rank as my own, as is my right according to the Book of Kahless.

I would quit playing minecraft on my 300 core computer, walk out of my mansion, get in my solid gold all electric sportscar, and drive to my 2nd identical mansion, get on my other 300 core computer with 1TB of RAM and 4 80TB harddrives, and write on Facebook how crazy all this sounds.

Seriously God can't die, it's impossible.

First we ingest their Godseed, then? The multiverse...

Walk up to Jesus and go "Now forgive us".
Because I'm a dick, I guess. And I want to see how he'd react.

Batou667:
Katatori, for shame! You're usually the first to come charging to the defense of people who believe in complete fantasies in this forum, no?

I've got no problems with what people want to believe. I just think threads like, "Hay guys, let's all speculate on something that is almost impossible to understand" are pretty pointless. In order to define the parameters of the question to the point that our speculation isn't just pulling ideas out of our asses, you have to define them in such a way that the question probably becomes irrelevant to most people who actually believe in it.

And I don't want it to sound like I'm giving Not G. Ivingname too much of a hard time. I mean, there are far more annoying threads on this board (that "end the ban on bestiality" meme that keeps coming up for example.)

But it does reveal something about this forum.

Not G. Ivingname: Let's talk about this imaginary situation I constructed where an omnipotent being that transcends time, space, and all physical limitations is killed.
Forum: Yay!!

Some O. Therguy: Let's talk about my religious beliefs!
Forum: Boo! Quit pushing your beliefs on us! People like you are why there is war in the middle east! All religious people support fascism because Hitler was religious! Stop oppressing the women and gay people that I am deeply concerned about as long as we are talking about religion and not women and gay people!

And so on.

Not G. Ivingname:
We have irriutable proof that this is God, and not some extremely powerful alien or inter-demnsional being, it was God.

But even if god was everything what is written in the Bible, he still would be an "extremely powerful alien or inter-demnsional being".

He wasn't all powerful, even in the Bible.
Here's why:

1. It took him 7 days to create everything. If he was all powerful, he would do it instantly.
2. He had to rest on the 7th day. That means that he was tired. Being tired implies that he could run out of power.
3. The most he could do to punish humans is to flood a planet where 2/3 of it's surface is water.
4. In the story of Babel, he was afraid of humans reaching him. Fear implies vulnerability. Plus, that was in the days where we didn't have all the sophisticated weaponry we have today.

Besides, the only one who said that god is all powerful, all knowing and all-present is god. The people believed him because there was nothing they could do to stop him... then.
Now, we have nukes and all that other fancy shit so I think we could at least give him a black eye in the case of a conflict.

We'd have to then hope we can kill Satan, otherwise we'd be fucked.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked