61.4% (51)
61.4% (51)
No
36.1% (30)
36.1% (30)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do U Liek Gunz?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just out of curiosity, do you, escapist member, like (enjoy knowing about, frequently fire, or whatever) firearms? Why or why not?

Do you mean to ask about our opinions on gun control laws and things of that sort, or are you just asking in general if we like guns? I'm curious, because you placed this thread in the Religion and Politics section.

No. I feel no need for them as I'm not a hunter and I have enough guns in videogames.
Knives are cooler anyway, especially scalpels.

My dad sells guns, and I've fired a few myself, and yeah I sort of like them. I found out over thanksgiving I'm good with a 9mm Ruger. I tried a .357 revolver as well--it made me feel like Gordon Freeman, but I didn't like it as much. More powerful for sure, but so much recoil. That and revolvers just feel weird to me, the weight is distributed funny compared to regular magazine-loaded pistols.

@johnboy424 I just wanted to know in general. If I were writing about gun control laws, I'd have made the Original Post more elaborate and interesting. I just want to know if there's any other fellow-gun-lovers on here, or gun haters too, just for future reference when I do make a gun-legalization/banning thread.

@Lilani that's tight, lol. I can't hit crap with a pistol, but am a pretty decent shot with a revolver. What really'll get you going is a big old Ruger Redhawk or something in .44 magnum. Dirty Harry IRL.

David Schofield:
@Lilani that's tight, lol. I can't hit crap with a pistol, but am a pretty decent shot with a revolver. What really'll get you going is a big old Ruger Redhawk or something in .44 magnum. Dirty Harry IRL.

Hm, I'm not sure if my dad has any of those in stock. He only sells them on the side so he doesn't have a HUGE stock to choose from. If he ever mentions it though I'll talk to him for sure :-) Though if I get too into firing his guns he might start making me pay for the ammo, lol.

In before massive 25 page gun debate erupts.

Yes, I like guns. I am tired of explaining it in massive debates that leave all sides on the same position they started at.

I don't own one myself but as a military historian the sheer variety, function, and evolution of the gun fascinates me. What can I say, I geek out over military hardware.

Ammo prices can be hell, that's for sure, especially to shoot .44 Special though a magnum revolver (just to decrease the strain on the gun). I've got to say though, I love the Ruger Redhawk revolver, then again I've never shot a Colt Anaconda or a Smith 29 either, lol.

I'm surprised your dad doesn't have any of them in stock. Most of the gun shops I've been to sell anywhere from 15 to 40 handguns, and the usual assortments of rifles (AR-15 style to run-of-the-mill hunting rifles and even M1 Garands). I usually see a Redhawk or a Super-Redhawk in the few in my city pretty often.

Yes, while I'm at it I'll post a picture of the model of gun I got for Christmas this year. :D

Shock and Awe:
Yes, while I'm at it I'll post a picture of the model of gun I got for Christmas this year. :D

I <3 christmas rifles! My firstie was a .243 Browning A-Bolt. I snagged 3 deer with it over the years. I missed my first shot at a deer when I was eleven. Never made that mistake again.

This is what I got for my Christmas/Birthday/Graduation present.
I <3 it enough that I bought a Leupold scope for it, too, lol. Mine's in 7-08 Remington, still haven't shot it or sighted it in, but looking forward to doing so. Won't be feeding many rounds through it, but will most certainly be keeping it in the family for generations (or at least until I'm rich enough to buy 10 more, lol).

Gonna quote Burn Notice on this:

"Don't fight with guns. Guns make you stupid. Better to fight with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart."

I quite enjoy the guns I own and fire. I've got a Colt 1911 (more specifically the O1991 model) and a Mossberg 500 with a collapsing stock.

renegade7:

"Don't fight with guns. Guns make you stupid. Better to fight with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart."

I want that on a shirt.

I like guns in the mechanical curiosity that comes with catapults, cannons, C4, and refrigerators. And, just to spark this powder keg, I'm supportive of laws such as the ones in the UK, Australia, and Japan that place a de facto ban on the use and sale of firearms.

Also, if you don't replace that title with proper words, I will hunt you down and destroy your life just as you have destroyed the English language.

The Gentleman:

renegade7:

I want that on a shirt.

I like guns in the mechanical curiosity that comes with catapults, cannons, C4, and refrigerators. And, just to spark this powder keg, I'm supportive of laws such as the ones in the UK, Australia, and Japan that place a de facto ban on the use and sale of firearms.

Very much this. Back when I imagined I would be a sci-fi writer I enjoyed learning about guns, especially state-of-the-art developments in firearms. But I wouldn't like to own one and don't think I would enjoy using one.

I'm more keen on projectiles that use basic mechanical principles. I would love to have the time to practice archery, or even javelin throwing, would love to learn horse archery, and my secret dream is to own a small ballista. I will take it up to the roof of my apartment building and shoot nasty Japanese food like wads of uni or natto at the houses of people I don't like. And it will be awesome, because they were fired by torsion. Not tension.

Well my dad put a .22 in my hands when i was four, and i've loved guns and shooting ever since

Best stress relief ever .............. besides sex

As a fan of historical military memorabilia, I do indeed like guns. In fact I recently purchased my first gun. (Purchased, I own two more: a little marlin .22 and a Winchester M1894) It is a Tula factory 1895 Nagant revolver.

I like guns, and I miss target shooting. It's hard for me now, loading and racking take more grip strength than I currently have, and the local range is incredibly expensive.

I enjoy watching other people shoot, though, and think guns in general are neat. You ever see the shooting reality TV show, Top Shot? They get to play with some cool hardware on that.

They simply don't interest me. My dad liket them and I guess I should go shooting with him sometimes because I never do anything with him but meh. I lack enthusiasm for them.

TheTim:
Well my dad put a .22 in my hands when i was four, and i've loved guns and shooting ever since

Best stress relief ever .............. besides sex

Same, only I was 8 at the time. A .22 is a good one to start with.

OT: Yeah. I like guns. I own a gun. I plan to collect guns.

Oh yes. Started with a .22 rifle as a small child(I think they bought it for me before I was born), then I got a 12 gauge at Christmas when I was 9. I love that Shotgun, Mossberg pump action. Later I inherited a Marlin 30-30 lever action, and a semi-automatic Winchester 30-06. I recently bought myself a .22 target pistol and a compact 9mm(got to put that concealed carry permit to use somehow). My favorite gun that ever passed through my hands was my dad's old .44 mag Super Blackhawk,complete with the tie down holster. That thing was a monster. No wonder Dirty Harry carried one. He sold it during some hard times and still kicks himself over it.He also has a M1A1 .30 caliber carbine of Korean War vintage(thank you army surplus). Sweet shot with variable settings, love that gun.

Yes. Yes I do. It's the reason I would never support banning firearms in the U.S. However, I believe everyone should be instructed in the proper use of whatever firearm they buy. I simply cannot abide someone owning a gun who doesn't know how to use it. Even if it's an antique, if it can still function as a gun you should pretty much be required to learn how to use it. Nothing is more terrifying than an amateur with a gun.

I started with a .22 pistol when I was 15. On that same day, I used a 9mm, a .40, and a .45. I'm a mediocre shot with a pistol, about 50ft is my limit. With a rifle, I can hit almost any notebook sized target up to 200 yards from a stable position. Standing makes my accuracy drop to missing roughly 1 out of 4 shots.

No, I'd need to demonstrate a valid reason and get a gun safe and all before I could get a gun and it's not something I'd want in my house anyway.

OTOH, I have (most of) a revolver my grandfather picked up in WW2 somewhere.

Eh, they are okay. I don't get super excited by guns, but I think they are alright. I own a couple Airsoft guns and a replica of a musket, but that is about it.

I personally dont like guns. It seems to me that the second amendment is obsolete, seeing as we have a trained military and are no longer in need of a militia/minutemen force. If I were king of the country I'd ban them.

I do know a lot of friends who collect and shoot guns on a regular basis. I myself enjoy shooting skeet with shotguns. Except for rifles and shotguns for hunting, I dont see why it's necessary for civilians to have assault rifles.

I like shooting at targets and clay pigeons. I think it's a fun test of skill and I enjoy it even more for being pretty good for the little I've shot. However, I always use other people's guns and have little interest in owning my own, and I also have no interest in going hunting or progressing past my clay pigeons

"Like" is a very broad spectrum, i enjoy the science and history of firearms.

I have recently been in contact with a shootingrange/gunguild, to learn more and to shoot some firearms.

I want to learn about "gun laws" in my country and what firearms a person can legally buy/own.

I don't really have much interest in guns beyond thinking they're interesting from a mechanical perspective as well as a historical perspective. Although I will say I do like certain old guns, specifically lever action guns and German handguns made around WWII (specifically the Luger P08 and the Mauser C96). I don't really ave much interest in owning one, and while I'm not saying I wouldn't ever fire one, its not on my things to do list.

I like them in my video games and my steam/cyberpunk RP. Don't care much for them IRL.

~Sylv

I like guns...they're useful.

If it were legal for me to keep one(uk), I would. My father has some air-guns, and it proved the most effective way of dealing with a slight infestation we had in the house.

Nope. Would be perfectly happy to see them all banned. Unless you have to hunt for food and would starve without them. Beyond that....no reason to own them.

everythingbeeps:
Nope. Would be perfectly happy to see them all banned. Unless you have to hunt for food and would starve without them. Beyond that....no reason to own them.

So if someone has no reason to own something you support banning them from owning it at all? Surely that isnt what you mean so please clarify your statement because as it stands it sounds like you are in favor of banning guns because there is no reasons to own them.

Seekster:

everythingbeeps:

So if someone has no reason to own something you support banning them from owning it at all? Surely that isnt what you mean so please clarify your statement because as it stands it sounds like you are in favor of banning guns because there is no reasons to own them.

Oh, it's not just that there's no reason to own them, it's also because there's a ton of reasons NOT to. And the only defense most gun-owners have is "the 2nd amendment says I can!"

They don't need them for protection. They don't need them for sport-hunting. And they don't need them for collecting purposes. Hell, they don't even need them to hunt for food! That was a little bone I threw there before, but I'm taking it back.

everythingbeeps:

Seekster:

everythingbeeps:

Oh, it's not just that there's no reason to own them, it's also because there's a ton of reasons NOT to. And the only defense most gun-owners have is "the 2nd amendment says I can!"

They don't need them for protection. They don't need them for sport-hunting. And they don't need them for collecting purposes. Hell, they don't even need them to hunt for food! That was a little bone I threw there before, but I'm taking it back.

What are the reasons not to own a gun?

The second amendment basically says that people have the right to own a firearm. In other words the government can't ban people from owning a gun but they can regulate gun ownership by doing things like not allowing people with a record of violent crime to purchase one or require people to have a permit while carrying one. The NRA seems to think that there is an absolute right to unrestricted ownership which is not the case. The government can regulate gun ownership, it just can't outright ban it altogether.

They may need one for personal protection, they may just like guns or a particular type of gun. Hell I own a katana and I don't ever actually use it or collect swords or anything like that, I just bought one because I like the way it looks and I think its cool. Plus I am a bit of a japanophile.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked