Friends, religion, and talking snakes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I had a conversation with a new friend about god/religion, I am an atheist, he is not. I don't are about his belief in god or what ever deity one might want to believe in.

But he thinks the garden of eden was real along with adam, eve AND THE TALKING FU**ING SERPENT.

So I came to the internet like all sane people do, when that feel like banging their head into a wall.

Discussion value = Is friendship possible if we didn't get in a fight, though it did get a bit heated on both sides, and we decided to mutually drop it?

P.S. A TALKING SNAKE??????????????????

P.P.S. He is not well educated, I had to explain what evolution REALLY is and tell him multiple times that the formation of earth IS NOT PART OF THE EVOLUTIONAL THEORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UGH.... some frustration relieved....

Well I can be friends with people who believe utterly idiotic things. I can still enjoy their company, paticularly if they're not talking about said utterly idiotic things. Unless it's something that happens often, what's the big deal as far as being friends with him goes? I can see losing some respect for him intellectually, but I don't see why you couldn't be friends.

Yeah, as the first responder said, as long as he's not always going on and on about it and you do genuinely enjoy hanging out with him: then just let it slide. If he keeps bringing it up, however, it'd probably be best if you go your separate ways, otherwise you'll always be arguing about stupid crap.

But yeah...I'm religeous myself, but that doesn't mean I believe in the Garden of Eden. Lets not forget the fact that the story itself is contradictory. Adam and Eve are created as the first man and woman on earth. They're expelled from Eden and have 2 sons who marry women from a nearby village.

...if Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth...where'd this "nearby village" come from?

:P Try hitting him with that one and see how he reacts.

RJ 17:
Yeah, as the first responder said, as long as he's not always going on and on about it and you do genuinely enjoy hanging out with him: then just let it slide. If he keeps bringing it up, however, it'd probably be best if you go your separate ways, otherwise you'll always be arguing about stupid crap.

But yeah...I'm religeous myself, but that doesn't mean I believe in the Garden of Eden. Lets not forget the fact that the story itself is contradictory. Adam and Eve are created as the first man and woman on earth. They're expelled from Eden and have 2 sons who marry women from a nearby village.

...if Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth...where'd this "nearby village" come from?

:P Try hitting him with that one and see how he reacts.

I also have a friend of 2 years (I'm 18) who believes in god and from talking with him about many things he seems to be both more knowledgeable and intelligent than I. This new dude is one of those people who just fucking grew up with a religion and never questioned it OR EVEN READ THE DANM BIBLE!!!!!!!!! THE THING HE SUPPOSEDLY FOLLOWS!!!......

Well I do enjoy his company but I can see this bugs me quite a bit and I can be a bit compulsive about some things...

I know it does not actually affect me in anyway... but I just can't shake the feeling of wanting to pound my head into the wall... and he left 3 hours ago.

basm321:
I also have a friend of 2 years (I'm 18) who believes in god and from talking with him about many things he seems to be both more knowledgeable and intelligent than I. This new dude is one of those people who just fucking grew up with a religion and never questioned it OR EVEN READ THE DANM BIBLE!!!!!!!!! THE THING HE SUPPOSEDLY FOLLOWS!!!......

That's another thing I was gonna say, sounds like this guy has lived an uber-sheltered life. It's people like these that are just so shockingly dense...you can take them to a museum and show them a dinosaur exhibit and they'll have a siezure!

Big problem is that your stepping on a landmine, then getting mad when it blows your leg off. I don't bring this kind of crap up because it's a losing battle. Going to get nowhere with it and end up being more mad. Does bring it up, change the subject. Of course your going to hang around other people that don't share your views. Not mad at people that don't believe in evolution because I don't care enough to change their ways. Now if you think there is a god in the sky, will then more power to you. I hate talking about politcs, religion, or sexual preference. Everytime you bring it up, your signing a waver to get into a pointless argument.

I have a few friends and associates who are into the whole bible thing and one-god religions thereof. Sure it seems crazy, but why bother talking with them about it? They have so many other, far more interesting things they can be talking about. Life, their family, their job, what type of food they enjoy eating. What they believe in is not the end-all of who they are or what views they have on everything as a whole.

Unless he's actively trying to convert you, judging by your attitude on the matter, it seems like you're the one instigating a conflict that doesn't need to happen.

I think personally I would have a hard time being friends with that kind of person. I know plenty of religious types, I've even dated a Catholic girl, it almost always ends poorly for me.

Anyone that believes the words of the bible and such are literal, and the disregard fact so they can cling onto it, I can never be friends with. Religions have a tendency to twist people into ignoring the real world, and that's not the person I enjoy being in the company of.

In high school, I had a physics teacher who thought pretty much the entirety of the Bible was literally true. Noah's ark and all.

I had a Christian friend in school(atheist myself). Didn't bother me THAT much, but when he started attending church more often I noticed how the brainwashing got worse and worse.
After three years he had gotten so damn weird I had to break all contact with him.

A good friend of mine is super-Catholic. She's going to a Catholic college now, and has debated at many points becoming a nun. She believes almost completely in the Bible. I, on the other hand, don't. That doesn't stop us from being friends, and I've had quite a few excellent conversations with her about her beliefs. I enjoy pointing out flaws to see how she responds, and to be honest most of the time she comes up with a surprisingly good explanation for most things I ask. So yes, I think you can definitely be friends. You just have to figure out what offends him, what doesn't, and what you should or shouldn't talk about. And if there's a point you can't deal with it, then either bring it up or just stop being friends with him.

As long as he doesn't force his belief onto you by trying to turn a lot of conversations into a religious one or declaring mundane things as an act of God or constantly trying to "save" you or whatever, I don't see why you can't accept his view of the world and be friends. One of my friends is Atheist, one grew up in a Catholic home and is an agnostic-thiest and I am an on-the-fence agnostic[1], but we don't talk about religion often because it's pointless. Most people are so strong in their beliefs they won't listen to the other side because it conflicts with their beliefs.

EDIT - Talking about that, I used to be Christian in high school and had 2 more friends who were both Atheist and we got along fine as well. Well, if you can call it fine that whenever a religious debate popped up that they eventually stormed out angrily shouting that all believers in a religion should be systematically killed.
But, as I said, it was fault on both sides. We were so sure there was/wasn't a God that we pushed so hard it got heated. Anyway, I'm not friends with them now. I can't stand it when someone thinks someone else deserves to die because they believe in one thing over another. Just because I think Vegemite tastes good, does that mean all non-Vegemite lovers should die?
Wel, if they're Australian, yeah. Die, traitors!

[1] Agnostic-theist is someone who believes in a higher power, but not a certain God. On-the-fence is that I'm not sure of there is a God or not, so I don't Iean either way.

Well he's a Christian?
So he probably will believe in the Garden of Eden and the talking snake
Also no matter how much logic you throw at him he'll just put the bible up and say "God did it"
So shouldn't you expect as much? It's his belief and it seems he'll stick by it.

There is two things you never ever talk about with guests, politics and religion, the subjects just bring out the crazy in people

Yes it is, just don't bring it up. It's a belief, he isn't a murderer. I don't talk to my best friend about politics because he is conservative and I'm moderate so sparks always fly.

basm321:
I had a conversation with a new friend about god/religion, I am an atheist, he is not. I don't are about his belief in god or what ever deity one might want to believe in.

But he thinks the garden of eden was real along with adam, eve AND THE TALKING FU**ING SERPENT.

So I came to the internet like all sane people do, when that feel like banging their head into a wall.

Discussion value = Is friendship possible if we didn't get in a fight, though it did get a bit heated on both sides, and we decided to mutually drop it?

P.P.S. He is not well educated, I had to explain what evolution REALLY is and tell him multiple times that the formation of earth IS NOT PART OF THE EVOLUTIONAL THEORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My girlfriend is a practicing Christian (admittedly it's the Church of Scotland - one of the more free-thinking and liberal sects of the Protestant Church), I'm an atheist and we have a fantastic relationship!

The key to our relationship is simple. I respect her right to have her own views and beliefs and she respects mine.

If he is a biblical literalist, I'd tell him to actually take the time to study the text.

I've had religious friends and even a religious partner in the past, but... if a person does or thinks something that causes you to doubt their integrity or lose respect for them, the friendship is pretty much over. Fantasy worship is impossible to respect. At least, that's the way I feel.

I'd suggest avoidance. You agreed mutually to let it go this time, but it'll come up again. At best, go as far as 'good acquaintances who share some interests' (assuming that's true).

Mutual respect is essential in any close friendship and you clearly don't respect his beliefs, nor should you because they're stupid. So no, I don't think this situation is likely to blossom into any meaningful friendship but hey, you can try. It just depends on how willing you are to tolerate such bullshit. Personally, I'm allergic.

Mmm best is not to touch those topics to much. To super religious people well.. the real world they can't handle it. They life in a bubble..

But if he asks about evolution or how things work.. sure tell him what you understand of it. But don't go in trying to crash his bubble. If he is able to pull out, it will be at his own time. It take can take a few years to get out of that bubble and join the real world.

I don't say science is always right. But that science at least has a good basis.

With religion well many take it so serious that pointing out a flaw in their religion hurts them. And if you are to brash about it they might just crawl back deeper in their shell.

Many are good people.. they just.. well life in a bubble.

I donīt think that you should base your friendship on what kind of fictional beings your friend belives in.
Is he a christian? Good for him he has something to belive in. Is he a Jedi good for him and so on....

I love discussing things so I donīt mind my friends having different opinions about things (even if they like Moulin Rouge >.<)

Creator002:
As long as he doesn't force his belief onto you by trying to turn a lot of conversations into a religious one or declaring mundane things as an act of God or constantly trying to "save" you or whatever, I don't see why you can't accept his view of the world and be friends. One of my friends is Atheist, one grew up in a Catholic home and is an agnostic-thiest and I am an on-the-fence agnostic[1], but we don't talk about religion often because it's pointless. Most people are so strong in their beliefs they won't listen to the other side because it conflicts with their beliefs.

EDIT - Talking about that, I used to be Christian in high school and had 2 more friends who were both Atheist and we got along fine as well. Well, if you can call it fine that whenever a religious debate popped up that they eventually stormed out angrily shouting that all believers in a religion should be systematically killed.
But, as I said, it was fault on both sides. We were so sure there was/wasn't a God that we pushed so hard it got heated. Anyway, I'm not friends with them now. I can't stand it when someone thinks someone else deserves to die because they believe in one thing over another. Just because I think Vegemite tastes good, does that mean all non-Vegemite lovers should die?
Wel, if they're Australian, yeah. Die, traitors!

Stop refering to yourselves as ''Agnostics'' just because you want to avoid confrontation, it's just silly.

[1] Agnostic-theist is someone who believes in a higher power, but not a certain God. On-the-fence is that I'm not sure of there is a God or not, so I don't Iean either way.

basm321:

Prove the snake didn't existed. Prove that God doesn't either.

You can't? Gratz then i hope you are realizing your beliefs are just as insostenible via logic as his, if more probable.

BTW, i am with you, god indeed doesnt exsist, but so? As long as we are humans that will just be an opinion and forcing that onto other people... well, kinda dumb.

People actually don't know what the theory of evolution is?
Well I think everyone can have their own beliefs and if I don't think as them on that point but think they are great people otherwise I just won't bring the topic up for discussion with them.

Creator002:
snip

Isn't what you call an "agnostic-theist" a deist?

and the problem seems to be that "can you be friends with someone who's not that intelligent"? Well if you can hold a decent conversation, sure. That's usually my standards for a friendship

when i read this all i saw was "waa waa waa, someone has a different veiw that i think is stupid, should i hate him"

Tanakh:

basm321:

Prove the snake didn't existed. Prove that God doesn't either.

You can't? Gratz then i hope you are realizing your beliefs are just as insostenible via logic as his, if more probable.

BTW, i am with you, god indeed doesnt exsist, but so? As long as we are humans that will just be an opinion and forcing that onto other people... well, kinda dumb.

Prove that your brain isn't in a vat somewhere and everything around you is real. Prove that Elvis wasn't abducted by aliens. Prove that your appendix isn't a tiny little biological lasergun. Prove that the holocaust wasn't a cover-up.

Point is, there are shitloads of beliefs that have zero grounding in reality, and if someone admits to them in today's society, they immediately pay a price. Unless it's religion, in which case, believe it however much you want, it's just an "opinion", when in fact, it's a truth claim just like everything above. And, as much as you'd like to deny it, religion does affect a hell of a lot of subjects in a negative way.

Politics in the leading country of the free world? Dictated entirely by religious nuts. You literally can't get elected in the US if you don't confess a faith of the Christian kind. Stuff like stem-cell research, gay marriage, birth control, education and who knows what else are facing problems entirely because of the religious.

"Sostensible" isn't a word, by the way.

Simon Pettersson:
I donīt think that you should base your friendship on what kind of fictional beings your friend belives in.
Is he a christian? Good for him he has something to belive in. Is he a Jedi good for him and so on....

I love discussing things so I donīt mind my friends having different opinions about things (even if they like Moulin Rouge >.<)

If you liken religious views to opinions about movies, you have no idea what you're talking about. Religion can and does change the entire perception of reality, often at the cost of rationality.

Wanna have fun with them?

Dinosaurs.

Thats always fun.

Just know that in your friendship religion is a topic you should both steer away from. I know it might seem difficult but really religion as a topic doesn't come up much in conversations between friends. I've had a friend for a long time who is also a devout creationist and nothing will change that. Not even pointing out how ridiculous it is that the only people on Earth had two sons who went out and found wives... where did they come from eh?

And if it makes you feel any better about your friend I have a friend, and he would be one of my best friends who I've known since before I can remember, who believes in Atlantians. He believes that Earth is currently being judged by an intergalactic council a'la that Baby Fark McGee-zax episode of South Park. He thinks the Atlanitans were a super-advanced early precursor of humanity, (a'la that Disney movie,) and they built all out ancient wonders, they could fly, had psychic powers and could manipulate any natural material. He believes that they went too far though and started messing with genetics of creatures, creating half-man half-animal creatures, (the Minotaur, Centaurs, these all existed according to my friend,) that they either used as slaves or used in gladiator style fights to the death for entertainment. This angered the intergalactic council which saw the potential of humanity but knew that the Atlantians would end up destroying any chance humanity had. So they wiped the slate clean so to speak. Now all these capabilities, the flight, the psychic powers, the element-bending, exist in all humans but we are yet to understand them. But one day when we're ready the aliens will welcome us into the intergalactic community.

I'm writing all this out just to prove that friendship doesn't need to be based on whether you believe the same things. This is about as bat-shit crazy as you can get but I keep my opinions to myself because the friendship means more to me than a bizarre set of beliefs about an ancient race of super-humans.

Although really when you think about it is is no less bizarre than any other established religion...

basm321:

Sure it's possible. But, as you said, you haven't known the person long and chances are that if he actually believes that and also isn't the brightest bulb, you'll probably have wildly different opinions in other areas that may SEEM unconnected, but are influenced by his beliefs.

By all means, give the guy a chance, but don't get your hopes up.

Dunno. I mean, those are some pretty extremist views. The religious people I'm friends with accept evolution and don't believe in a literal Genesis. In fact, I only know one Literalistic Creationist personally, and while they're nice, I don't really have too much interaction with them. I can't really respect a person who holds such views, so it might be for the better that I only know them via a few degrees. I think friendship can be possible if you avoid certain subjects, but if it's an issue that continuously comes up, it's probably going to wear down your connection.

Wow...if he is above twelve he must be an idiot.

Now I see a lot of people saying that his beliefs should be respected but ask yourselves this, would you respect your friends views if they told you that they were going to a holocaust denial meeting? what if they were convinced that aliens faked the moon-landing by killing JFK?

If one of my friends said that they actually believed the literal word of the bible, I would tell them that they are wrong. Luckily, I live in Sweden and our religious people admit that the bible is mostly full of crap.

F*ck the ideology of the talking snake! Good you told him about the ideology of the talking ape.

Sorry :)

Uhm, I don't mind religious people with silly beliefs, but I hate religious people who force their silly beliefs upon others.

You belief in a talking snake? Okay.
You belief homosexuality is a sin? And you want to vote in a democracy and raise children? Sorry, no.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked