Do you believe that god created you with his hands and designed you to be how you are?
Yes, i believe fully
5.8% (12)
5.8% (12)
No, but i still believe in God
14% (29)
14% (29)
Athiest
78.7% (163)
78.7% (163)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Creationism....really?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I would like to think escapism users are among the higher functioning people on the internet so im not sure what to expect with this but im just curious
does anyone really still think that god created people with his own hands and all that jazz.
I have a suspicion that even within the circles of the more devout this must seem a bit silly.

He created Adam and Eve, as well as around a few others. I don't believe that He individually creates our bodies. But I could be wrong.

Also it's not pleasant to insult a group of people for a unusual reason.

I believe God creates and has a plan for the life of every human being yes. Do I believe He made the first man from dust and the first woman from a rib? No but I do believe God created the first humans and every one since.

Its really not that hard to believe, I mean Blizzard created its own world and created every NPC in it with a plan and purpose to their existence...not necessarily a good one but they did do it. Sometimes when I create a character in an MMO I sit there at the character creation screen an joke "huh, so this must be how God does it...only with a lot more appearance options".

Liam Starrs:
I would like to think escapism users are among the higher functioning people on the internet so im not sure what to expect with this but im just curious
does anyone really still think that god created people with his own hands and all that jazz.
I have a suspicion that even within the circles of the more devout this must seem a bit silly.

I'm agnostic, so I believe there is a god, if not more than just one, however I do not believe anything *about* god, as I have no way to prove god is one thing or another, or capable of one thing or another.

Skullkid4187:
...as well as around a few others...

Nope, that was incest all the way.

CulixCupric:

I'm agnostic, so I believe there is a god,

But WHY do you believe in the first place?

I find it foolish to just assume that because there's no solid proof yet there's automatically no god.

Einstein once likened his search for the secrets of the Universe to a small child wandering a vast library and not being able to read.

Atheists only believe in the small amount of factual information the human race can rely on, I find this to be short sighted, and for them to believe they're smarter than everyone who thinks different, I find this pompous.
Face it, your a simple human who's never even left your own planet, you essentially know nothing.

Even if he's not an epic beard man in the sky, I'm sure that if there are other intelligent entities in our universe (or other dimensions/universes), they'd serve as a god to us quite well.

GM.Casper:

Skullkid4187:

CulixCupric:

there has been research that shows that human beings might have a common ancestor but no one likes to bring that up.

why not believe?

Hammartroll:
I find it foolish to just assume that because there's no solid proof yet there's automatically no god.

Einstein once likened his search for the secrets of the Universe to a small child wandering a vast library and not being able to read.

Atheists only believe in the small amount of factual information the human race can rely on, I find this to be short sighted, and for them to believe they're smarter than everyone who thinks different, I find this pompous.
Face it, your a simple human who's never even left your own planet, you essentially know nothing.

Even if he's not an epic beard man in the sky, I'm sure that if there are other intelligent entities in our universe (or other dimensions/universes), they'd serve as a god to us quite well.

We believe everything that has been proven true, reject everything that has been proven false and anything between is simply 'don't know'. We think it is rather short sighted to find a question we do not have an answer for and respond with 'god dunnit' rather than trying to find an answer. If we did not answer questions then we would not advance as a species.

As for intelligent life outside of our own planet, you will find most atheists believe there is. Statistically it is essentially a certainty. Just because they might be more intelligent then us does not mean they are god though.

Hammartroll:

You're kidding, right? It's not pompous to only believe in the stuff you can know. It would be pompous to start believing in things you can't possibly know, instead of waiting to know, and then trying to convince other people of them.

Skullkid4187:
Also it's not pleasant to insult a group of people for a unusual reason.

Being not only wrong, but incredibly wrong based on evidence that has been available for the last 100 years, is good reason to insult someone's intelligence. Creationists are, objectively speaking, fucking idiots because of their beliefs. Would you belittle someone for claiming that the holocaust didn't happen? How about for claiming that the moon doesn't exist, or that the earth is flat? If such beliefs qualify you as stupid, why not any other belief for which the refutation has been common knowledge for longer than most believers have been alive?

I know this is going to be a little insulting but its just how it is.

if you believe in the thing whole sale then you are ignoring history and modern science.

if you believe in god but not the stories of the bible(creation is the first of many) then you are ignoring not only history but you are picking and choosing which of your holy scripture's teaching. its like reading a dictionary and taking out all the words you cant pronounce.

the only way a free thinking person can go is atheism. the only reason not to go there is stupidity (not too likely on this site) or rational fear of life without the promise of an irrational heaven.

keiskay:

why not believe?

Becouse non-belief is the default position. Afterall, do you believe in unicorns, fey, bigfoot or the Spaghetti Monster?

Seekster:
I believe God creates and has a plan for the life of every human being yes. Do I believe He made the first man from dust and the first woman from a rib? No but I do believe God created the first humans and every one since.

Ok hows this one, it has been revealed that humans have been on the planet for somewhere between 400,000 and 100,000 years.For almost all of that time Humans died massively in childbirth or early life and those that didnt usually died before the age of 30 to diseases they knew nothing about. they struggled with natural disasters and hunger and fractional wars and only 2000 years ago after hundreds of thousands of years ago did your god say. "OK this has gone on long enough its time to intervene. If this is the god you believe in then you should fear him because he is caring as a child is for a toy soldier and as egotistical as the worst of dictators.

Do you now see why i find it difficult to understand why people still believe in this line of thinking.

Mortai Gravesend:

Hammartroll:

You're kidding, right? It's not pompous to only believe in the stuff you can know. It would be pompous to start believing in things you can't possibly know, instead of waiting to know, and then trying to convince other people of them.

But here's the problem, you don't know if we were created. There is no law of science yet that says we evolved, yet you say "nope we weren't created and anyone who thinks otherewise is stupid". Same goes with God; all I hear is that atheists don't believe in god, not that they hold a suspicion over it's existance, just a "no, it's a fairy tale your stupid."

It's because of this that I can't help but think there's a self aggrandizing social facet to being an atheist; like being an atheist is like an easy button to being smarter than everyone.
Look at your own words: "You're kidding, right?" my comment you quoted was serious, but you belittle it. Does being an atheist give you that authority?

No, I don't believe in creationism. I would call myself agnostic but I would need to qualify: I don't believe in any of the blatantly man-made fairy-tales that make up modern religions. I haven't seen anything that would indicate a creator God, but if we stumble across one and can prove that it is what it claims to be, I wont make a fuzz of it.

Creationism is unscientific. It's based on bronze-age fables, and a broad selection of the believers admit to this. Many note that God simply gives the appearance of the picture science paints to fool us, and that the purpose is to sort out those who aren't true believers. This is a fair enough stance in my book, though it does not belong in a science classroom.

Stephen Hawking's stance on here is simple enough and I agree fully with it:

Hammartroll:

Mortai Gravesend:

Hammartroll:

But here's the problem, you don't know if we were created. There is no law of science yet that says we evolved, yet you say "nope we weren't created and anyone who thinks otherewise is stupid".

Thing is all evidence points to evolution. To the best of anyone's knowledge evolution exists, it happened, end of story. You'd have to ignore mountains of evidence to say evolution did not occur, and is not still occuring. There could be some bizarre hallucination we all have, but quite simply such possibilities aren't worth considering as they cannot be properly investigated.

Same goes with God; all I hear is that atheists don't believe in god, not that they hold a suspicion over it's existance, just a "no, it's a fairy tale your stupid."

All I hear from you is "I want to put words in people's mouths because my argument is weak on its own"

It's because of this that I can't help but think there's a self aggrandizing social facet to being an atheist; like being an atheist is like an easy button to being smarter than everyone.

If you have an inferiority complex that's your issue.

Look at your own words: "You're kidding, right?" my comment you quoted was serious, but you belittle it.

Because it is absurd.

Does being an atheist give you that authority?

No, I don't need some special authority. Where did you get the authority for that persecution complex btw? Do they hand it out for free? Says "Accuse people of doing things because they're an atheist"?

Oh and I have to ask. What gave you the authority to call those who only believe in what can be know pompous? Was it your "Oh I'm so persecuted" card? I really have to wonder since apparently saying such things requires authority according to you. So where's yours at?

Oh look, this thread again...

This won't end well.

OT: My views about it are kind of hard to explain by text, but I believe in God.

CulixCupric:

But WHY do you believe in the first place?[/quote]

don't know, haven't got a clue.

pyrate:

Hammartroll:

We believe everything that has been proven true, reject everything that has been proven false and anything between is simply 'don't know'. We think it is rather short sighted to find a question we do not have an answer for and respond with 'god dunnit' rather than trying to find an answer. If we did not answer questions then we would not advance as a species.

As for intelligent life outside of our own planet, you will find most atheists believe there is. Statistically it is essentially a certainty. Just because they might be more intelligent then us does not mean they are god though.

OK that makes sense, but would you allow yourself to consider the option that we were created?

And on intelligent life outside our planet, I have to ask you to define God. Like the Silent Hill movie said, to a child his/her mother is god, which being that a child's mother is their creator, protector and is far more powerful and intelligent, this makes sense.

It's all relative, to a child their mom is god, to a full grown human.... what is god?
My definition of god is very vague, infact I prefer not to use the term but instead label something as "godlike".

Liam Starrs:

Seekster:

Ok hows this one, it has been revealed that humans have been on the planet for somewhere between 400,000 and 100,000 years.For almost all of that time Humans died massively in childbirth or early life and those that didnt usually died before the age of 30 to diseases they knew nothing about. they struggled with natural disasters and hunger and fractional wars and only 2000 years ago after hundreds of thousands of years ago did your god say. "OK this has gone on long enough its time to intervene. If this is the god you believe in then you should fear him because he is caring as a child is for a toy soldier and as egotistical as the worst of dictators.

Do you now see why i find it difficult to understand why people still believe in this line of thinking.

How do we know that God didnt make attempts to contact us prior to several thousand years (Abraham lived more than 2000 years ago)? For all we know He did and we just had not evolved enough to comprehend this attempt at communication enough (thats another thing, spoken language has not been around for all of our existence) to respond to it.

Personally I believe God knew and knows what He is doing, He is all knowing after all.

Is God egotistical? A better question is can God technically be egotistical or does an ego really even apply to God? God doesnt exactly have any reason to be humble if God doesnt want to now does He?

Liam Starrs:

Seekster:

Assuming there is a god and an afterlife, what does a little pain of Earth matter? Maybe feeling pain and suffering is the whole point. You're born, you feel some joy and sorrow and you die and go back to god; whatever happened on Earth is just a past experiance.

Seekster:

Liam Starrs:

Seekster:

How do we know that God didnt make attempts to contact us prior to several thousand years (Abraham lived more than 2000 years ago)? For all we know He did and we just had not evolved enough to comprehend this attempt at communication enough (thats another thing, spoken language has not been around for all of our existence) to respond to it.

Personally I believe God knew and knows what He is doing, He is all knowing after all.

Is God egotistical? A better question is can God technically be egotistical or does an ego really even apply to God? God doesnt exactly have any reason to be humble if God doesnt want to now does He?

i think he should be more than humble. if he exists he should bloody well apologize. He sent his son to the stupid illiterate maliable desert tribes of the middle east where was he during the holy wars where was he when hiroshima was bombed if thats in his great plan he should be red faces and begging forgiveness. think about it. you cant just explain it away with a "its god he knows what hes doing." People live their lives in repression shame and slavery to an imaginary friend who they have been duped into believing in and what do you get from it. false hope and a life on their knees but this is serious stuff my original query was just how many people believe in the religious fables. might as well believe in jack and the beanstalk and the big bad wolf.

Hammartroll:

Assuming there is a god and an afterlife, what does a little pain of Earth matter? Maybe feeling pain and suffering is the whole point. You're born, you feel some joy and sorrow and you die and go back to god; whatever happened on Earth is just a past experiance.

That is horrible and you might as well starve yourself to death now and end your pointless existence. You are on a planet that is on a razor's edge of life. said planet is in habited by some of the most vastly amazing creatures in all of existence. all you need to do is watch anything from atenburough to see that there is more to earth than a stop over on the way to everlasting life. there is so much to be seen and experienced. The fact that you would equate it so little value is sickening to the point of nihilism.

Liam Starrs:

Seekster:

Liam Starrs:

i think he should be more than humble. if he exists he should bloody well apologize. He sent his son to the stupid illiterate maliable desert tribes of the middle east where was he during the holy wars where was he when hiroshima was bombed if thats in his great plan he should be red faces and begging forgiveness. think about it. you cant just explain it away with a "its god he knows what hes doing." People live their lives in repression shame and slavery to an imaginary friend who they have been duped into believing in and what do you get from it. false hope and a life on their knees but this is serious stuff my original query was just how many people believe in the religious fables. might as well believe in jack and the beanstalk and the big bad wolf.

You wanna know my personal opinion? I think that just having the hand of God come down and fix our problems would be too easy, I think the whole point is for us to figure this shit out on our own, learn to care about eachother on our own, Jesus as well as any other prophet that's said to speak the word of god is just a push in the right direction.

Think about it, if we want to live in a paradise with no pain and heaven exists, why don't we all just kill ourselves now and leave this shithole behind. Assuming we existed with god before being born on Earth why did we choose to be born? So we can just have god come down and fix our problems for us? No, that dosn't seem to accomplish anything. The point in life is to overcome our problems we were born with.

GM.Casper:

keiskay:

why not believe?

Becouse non-belief is the default position. Afterall, do you believe in unicorns, fey, bigfoot or the Spaghetti Monster?

prove that non-belief is the default position and i'll concede.

Hammartroll:

There is some perspective needed here.
There're a million or more things that you don't believe in and yet you call people who are atheist short sighted for believing in exactly one less thing.
Just seems a little hypocritical to me = /.

Liam Starrs:

Hammartroll:

That is horrible and you might as well starve yourself to death now and end your pointless existence. You are on a planet that is on a razor's edge of life. said planet is in habited by some of the most vastly amazing creatures in all of existence. all you need to do is watch anything from atenburough to see that there is more to earth than a stop over on the way to everlasting life. there is so much to be seen and experienced. The fact that you would equate it so little value is sickening to the point of nihilism.

But everlasting life sounds pretty fricken awsome. Again I have to bring up relativity. I agree that what we have here are Earth is awe inspiring, but there are even more amazing things elswhere in the universe. Our neighboor Mars is home to Olympus Mons, a mountain way bigger (and as such way more awe inspiring) than any mountain we have on Earth. Who's to say that in an afterlife, in another dimension or somewhere god might exist, things are way more spectacular than even that.
I love our Earth, but I withold the belife that assuming life can exist in other realms (be they spacial, dimensional, inter-universal or whatever may exist) there are things way greater than me or you.

Liam Starrs:

Seekster:

Liam Starrs:

God should apologize for what we have done? I mean ok he did create us and so if you believe humans have no personal responsibility then everything is God's fault but still.

Also the people of the Middle East (including the Hebrews) were hardly stupid. Illiterate? Probably most were but thats not really saying much given that literacy was a luxury back then and for many thousands of years afterwards as well.

You are an anti-theist, ok we get it.

Ampersand:

Hammartroll:

There're a million or more things that you don't believe in and yet you call people who are atheist short sighted for believing in exactly one less thing.

Your putting words in my mouth, what did I say I didn't believe in? The viewpoint that god and things of a spiritual nature does not exist could be true, but frankly think that there's a better chance that they do exist.

Your putting words in my mouth, what did I say didn't exist? The viewpoint that god and other spiritual things don't exist could be true, but I just believe that that's less than likely.

*Looks around thread*

Quick, someone grab a fire extinguisher!

Seekster:
I believe God creates and has a plan for the life of every human being yes.

God plans to abort 14-25% of pregnancies? That's a lot of baby killing. God's kind of an asshole. In fact according to a quick google, that's about 700,000 pregnancies in the US per year.

All dead. All by God's direct plan.

keiskay:

GM.Casper:

Skullkid4187:

CulixCupric:

there has been research that shows that human beings might have a common ancestor but no one likes to bring that up.

why not believe?

You don't have to go too far back to find out that all humans are related, if you live on the western hemisphere you are most likely a decedent of Charlemagne and so are most people you know.

The only answer to "why not believe?" quite obviously, because there isn't any real reason to. Which is why it makes a lot more sense to ask why do you believe in the first place?

Ampersand:

keiskay:

GM.Casper:

why not believe?

You don't have to go too far back to find out that all humans are related, if you live on the western hemisphere you are most likely a decedent of Charlemagne and so are most people you know.

The only answer to "why not believe?" quite obviously, because there isn't any real reason to. Which is why it makes a lot more sense to ask why do you believe in the first place?

there is no real reason not too either, whether you agree with that or not is none of my concern though.

Not believing saves time. Keeps you from making rash decisions based on unwarranted assumptions.

Hammartroll:

Ampersand:

Hammartroll:

Your putting words in my mouth, what did I say I didn't believe in? The viewpoint that god and things of a spiritual nature does not exist could be true, but frankly think that there's a better chance that they do exist.

Your putting words in my mouth, what did I say didn't exist? The viewpoint that god and other spiritual things don't exist could be true, but I just believe that that's less than likely.

So you're telling me that you think that people who don't believe in werewolves are just as shortsighted as atheists? In that case why are you singling them out?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked