Republican suggests White People Day

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

feeqmatic:

tstorm823:
I've always found it strange that a black woman can take a course on african americans or women studies and get multicultural credits...

Thats because she has only been taught the culture of white men like everyone else. for most white male Americans to learn about their culture they just have to go to school. For most minorities to learn about their culture they have to do outside research.

Anyone wanna dig up my thread on white privilege?

Please tell me what is the culture of White men? I didn't know that we had one pan-national culture which I share with all White people, regardless of if they live in the US, Western Europe or Eastern Europe or Australia.

Volf99:
I didn't realize the actions of Western Europe in the 500 years, represents the entire identity of all White people.

It may not be the identity, but it sure as hell is the history. Hell, it was just in 1990 that South Africa desegregated after centuries of white rule.

US Segregation was essentially the law until the 1970s.

English oppression of the Indian people marked the first half of the twentieth century

And this doesn't even cover the purges, slavery, and outright genocides in the nineteenth century.

To a lot of races and cultures, those wounds are still very raw and have never quite healed. That is what pride is about: knowing that they have overcome this and are working towards a more inclusive future.

Volf99:

Tree man:

evilthecat:

Of course you do.

As Sylvine immediately pointed out, this isn't a serious proposal, it's an episode of passive-aggressive bitching which then got hastily retconned into a semi-serious point.

Also, the point of cultural celebrations for minorities is not to celebrate the "achievements" of minorities, it's an attempt to correct the exclusion of minorities from mainstream culture and history. Black history month, for example, exists because "mainstream" historical accounts tended to overlook or ignore the experience of black people. When that ceases to be the case, there will be no need for black history month.

It is identity politics and I don't like it, but it's like having a "women's studies" course in the 60s. The point was not that women were special, but that work in other disciplines tended to totally ignore anything to do with women. As soon as that wasn't the case, women's studies pretty much disappeared.

Cinco de Mayo, along with all the other "national" holidays incorporated into American culture (several of which already commemorate the culture of various groups of white people - Saint Patrick's Day, for one) can't even claim to be that serious, it's just a culturally themed party. It exists, as I understand it, as a recognition of the Mexican influence in American culture.

Now.. Let me ask a serious question here. Do you actually think there's such a thing as "white culture"?

What would a "cultural celebration of white people" actually celebrate in an American context, or indeed in any context? What things can you ever claim are common or representative of the culture or experience of all or even most white people? The fact that their ancestors at some point came from the European continent?

You know.. the dumbest thing about this. Mexican culture derives predominantly from Spanish culture. Guess what ethnicity Spanish people are?

Whoo white man day.

You too can dress up in leathers and chase tribal men through the bushes, you two can unleash smallpox and influenza onto the masses and to top it all off you can enter the competition to design the best death camp possible, winner gets a sugar dohnut.

Obviously sarcasm, as you pointed out it is just bitching.

I didn't realize the actions of Western Europe in the 500 years, represents the entire identity of all White people.

Right, did this once before crappy internet led me to 404.

Long story short, obvious sarcasm in my post in obvious I was trying to say that any cultural day is redundant or pointless.

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
Oppression of the native americans and the destruction of their culture.
Imperialistic control of colonies.
fossil fuels gaining massive headway in the industrial revolution.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

All of the above are European. (May need some checking I'm not sure if it was the US then the UN that went into Korea or just the UN to start with.)

I can understand opposing the ideology that there is such a thing as "white history" or "white culture." However accepting that those labels are ineffective is a moot issue. The problem at hand and the necessity for those inadequate terms along with others such as "women's studies" or "black history" is because "history" only seems to tell the story from one angle. It is mislabled "white history" because it focuses on the view point of white men.

An experience i had in a graduate class perfectly illustrates this. I was in an African American/south African literature class which focused on stories born from slave narratives and apartheid. It was taught by two white women and I was the only black male in the class of around 20 along with 3 other black women. Eventually we got to the story of Emmit Till. Emmit Till is one of the most significant and ugly stories from the American civil rights movement. Every school at least mentions the civil rights movement correct? So how was it that no non black student had any idea that this story existed. And this was a GRADUATE level class! It is because there is only so much room for "others" in mainstream history education. See "history" is incomplete on a lot of levels. It is written by the victors. Why do we study Greek Mythology and not Japanese mythology or African pagan Gods? Why do many High schools REQUIRE British Literature as a core English class but Multi cultural or World lit is bundled together?? These are the pillars of white Privilege. White is the standard and default, everything else is superfluous. Its tenants are so inherent that many whites often bristle at the very idea that EVERYONE doesnt automatically fit into its umbrella. The byproduct of this is that you have terms like "multi culturalism" and "white history." I dont care what Morgan Freeman says, he doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about he is an actor not a scholar. It is a great and idealistic principle that does represent an important concept to internalize, but it is very much outside of the way things function right now. So yes until

The Gentleman:

Volf99:

It may not be the identity, but it sure as hell is the history.

The history of Western Europe in the last 500 years represents the history of all white people? Are you trolling me or are you serious? So as someone with Polish ethnicity, the history of places like Spain should represent the history of my people? Really?

The Gentleman:
Hell, it was just in 1990 that South Africa desegregated after centuries of white rule.

US Segregation was essentially the law until the 1970s.

And there are places in Africa like Mauritania, Chad, and Ghana that still have slavery, but it doesn't mean that slavery is the only aspect of African history/culture that I focus on.

The Gentleman:
English oppression of the Indian people marked the first half of the twentieth century

Please tell me how this is relevant to ALL white people. As a person who is German and Polish, why should the actions of the English government represent the history of my people?

The Gentleman:
And this doesn't even cover the purges, slavery, and outright genocides in the nineteenth century.

You realize that Europeans did other things besides slavery, genocide, and purges, right?

The Gentleman:
To a lot of races and cultures, those wounds are still very raw and have never quite healed. That is what pride is about: knowing that they have overcome this and are working towards a more inclusive future.

So what about white people who have suffered? Can the Irish have a month for themselves seeing as how the English have acted like assholes to them? Also what about Jews who have been persecuted by Arabs? Can Jews have their own month that celebrates surviving persecution by Arabs and Muslims? More importantly, why are only those who are were wronged by White people being considered?

I'd prefer an "Ian Smith" day as a counterpart to "Martin Luther King" day.

It'd have the added hilarity of a unique contrast: Ian Smith was a hero, correct in all his proclamations, who died scorned by many.

While MLK was a charlatan who said one thing and then did another, but died a hero to many.

Tree man:

Volf99:

Tree man:

Whoo white man day.

You too can dress up in leathers and chase tribal men through the bushes, you two can unleash smallpox and influenza onto the masses and to top it all off you can enter the competition to design the best death camp possible, winner gets a sugar dohnut.

Obviously sarcasm, as you pointed out it is just bitching.

Long story short, obvious sarcasm in my post in obvious I was trying to say that any cultural day is redundant or pointless.

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

All of the above are European. (May need some checking I'm not sure if it was the US then the UN that went into Korea or just the UN to start with.)

So only the negative things should be focused on? What about the Car, the Plane, and the Television? These are things that all people take advantage of, and yet White people made them. If you want to focus on negative things, that's fine but don't ignore the good that White People have done to.

Tree man:

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

Haha wow. Pick up a history book, kiddo. Other races were killing each other in massed battles between nations when Europeans were still roaming around in nomadic barbarian tribes.

We only narrowed the gap later on, because we were -better- at it once we finally cleared the tech gap and then rocketed past everyone else. If you think Europeans are any more violent or savage than anyone else you are wrong, we're simply better at organized violence.

Let me say that i am not bothered by the idea of a "white" history day. For the most part we celebrate it every day we just simply call it history. If white where to ever become a minority, and have their historical contributions glossed over or ommitted then having a white history day would be even more appropriate.

Also, I would love for Mr. Pinochet to explain how MLK was a Charlatan. Ill give you that Ian smith was right on some levels, but he was still trying to clean up a mess his nations greed, racism, and callousness created not trying to fight for his civil rights. Get off that nonsense please its insulting.

Tree man:
VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

The Falklands war was started by Argentinia my dear, and even today the imperialist agenda of Argentinia causes tensions in the region. Much like the dictator Chavez threatened to invade the Netherlands to draw attention away from his own reign. The Korean war began with Koreans, and escalated when the Chinese got involed. One of the main agressors in the Second World War was Japan.

Long story short: Creating an anti-white history is a project doomed to failure. For an illustration, check out the earlier topic about colonial times in which I had no trouble leveling any one-sided or racist assigning of blame by pointing out either the act in question being normal at the time at the place, it being judged by a double standard, or it being totally fabricated in the first place.

You yourself screwed up by mentioning cattle-related diseases wiping out many who had never come in contact with them as being the fault of white people in the age of discovery. Bullshit of course. Diseases don't care who you are, diseases are exactly that: diseases. And where in that complaint of yours is the Black Death? It came from China and wiped out some 30-60% of all Europeans. And before that, half of Europe died, against from a disease from China, bubonic plague in the Plague of Justinian.
Blaming only one race for the diseases they carry is clearly a racist line of reasoning, and thus not a valid argument.

feeqmatic:
Let me say that i am not bothered by the idea of a "white" history day. For the most part we celebrate it every day we just simply call it history. If white where to ever become a minority, and have their historical contributions glossed over or ommitted then having a white history day would be even more appropriate.

Also, I would love for Mr. Pinochet to explain how MLK was a Charlatan. Ill give you that Ian smith was right on some levels, but he was still trying to clean up a mess his nations greed, racism, and callousness created not trying to fight for his civil rights. Get off that nonsense please its insulting.

Kind of off topic but what do you think about people who compare Malcolm X to MLK? I like MLK, but Mr.X seems too controversial("hens come home to roost", "all white people are the devil", and the Nation of Islam) to be considered in the same light as MLK. What are you thoughts?

Volf99:

feeqmatic:

Kind of off topic but what do you think about people who compare Malcolm X to MLK? I like MLK, but Mr.X seems too controversial("hens come home to roost", "all white people are the devil", and the Nation of Islam) to be considered in the same light as MLK. What are you thoughts?

Its kind of apples and oranges. MLK was more about structure and progress Malcom was more emotion rhetoric and Motivation. It would have been nice to see how Malcom's message would have changed had he lived past his pilgrimage to Mecca. Although he was on a more intense track in terms of his rhetoric, hit attitude changed once he got out of the Nation of Islam.

Martin on the other hand would proabably have taken a back seat after a certain period of time. They were so honed into intergration they didnt understand what they were asking for. Someone would have eventually supplanted him in a more natural way.

Do I get to put ranch on all my food and then attempt to dance at a night club. Will it be alright on White People Day to hit on Asian chicks with total immunity. I take a black person out to lunch and then tell him about all my suffering.

Volf99:

Please tell me what is the culture of White men? I didn't know that we had one pan-national culture which I share with all White people, regardless of if they live in the US, Western Europe or Eastern Europe or Australia.

The Western world is inextricably linked to the cultural dominance of colonial societies who institutionalized their power structures and posited their knowledge/law in order to consolidate footholds over colonial holdings.

This is not to say that there is one, unified 'white' nation. When 'white' culture is often brought up in debates which examine the marginalization of minority groups, such as Indigenous peoples, it is used in a post-colonial context relevant to the contemporary heritage of that nation, such as America for example.

Batou667:
Constantly highlighting your "otherness" isn't going to help foster a sense of unity.

Do you mean 'unity' or 'homogenizing'?

feeqmatic:

Anyone wanna dig up my thread on white privilege?

Have you ever looked into the sociological theories on whiteness, feegmatic? You may find them interesting as they also tie into theoretical frameworks which investigate the post-colonial phenomena globally.

Though, you may want to be careful. Bringing up the concept mentioned will quite often elicit insecure accusations of racism from some, despite the concept not being focused on racial demarcations, but of power and positivism.

aPod:

Blobpie:
Lets remember what white people did in history!

-genocide
-imperialism
-slavery
-crusades
-nuclear weapons....

Oh yea, it'll be a GREAT holiday! Just like colombus day....

:/

This was a sarcastic post, right? Right?

You're making fun of the idea of an "ethnic celebration day" because that means they are celebrating all the terrible things all of humanity has done to one another? Right?

I hope so, and for my sanity will assume you are.

Of course it's sarcasm! Who do you take me for? Hitler?

Blobpie:

I don't know you. It's highly improbable though.

I'm glad, but sarcasm is notoriously difficult to pick up on in text.

For instance, you could being playing me for a rube here and are actually being sarcastic now and not about what you posted earlier.

Which in fact would make me appear all the more to be a bumpkin since I thought you were being sarcastic where you weren't and sincere where you were sarcastic.

Even worse, painting me a complete yahoo for knowing that and breaking it down.

Oh! My head. I'm going to lay down.

Still Life:

Batou667:
Constantly highlighting your "otherness" isn't going to help foster a sense of unity.

The latter, of course. The only alternative to social division is totalitarian, straightjacketed uniformity. I thought that was obvious?

/sarcasm

Batou667:

Still Life:

Batou667:

The latter, of course. The only alternative to social division is totalitarian, straightjacketed uniformity. I thought that was obvious?

/sarcasm

No need to make an ass of yourself. Legitimate question, because it seems a great many people confuse the two.

Besides, I disagree. One of the fundamental things embedded in the human psyche is the construction of the 'self' and 'other'. This duality is quite pervasive. In the context of racism, I think it's a disservice to ignore the things which separate people along the lines of race, not for the purpose of perpetuation but for greater understanding of what makes people and communities unique.

Blobpie:

You'd be surprised at the number of either outspoken or implicte anti-white racists who actually think like that. It's no surprise some people didn't see the sarcasm in your post.

Just look at this topic for instance, and the sheer number of people who are selectively blind and only see the negative aspects of anything whites ever did, and conveniently ignore whatever everybody else did wrong.

In a topic about Australia Day, somebody defined the identity of the caucasian race as the wish to oppress and destroy other people. That's right, if tomorrow Obama decides he wants to crush everybody's freedom under an iron fist, he's no longer black, but has become white, according to that particular not so learned poster. Also he outright defended giving people more rights than others because of being of a different race.

PinochetIsMyBro:

Tree man:

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

Haha wow. Pick up a history book, kiddo. Other races were killing each other in massed battles between nations when Europeans were still roaming around in nomadic barbarian tribes.

We only narrowed the gap later on, because we were -better- at it once we finally cleared the tech gap and then rocketed past everyone else. If you think Europeans are any more violent or savage than anyone else you are wrong, we're simply better at organized violence.

I teach history at both GCSE and AS level.

Yes people killed each other before, but the Europeans made it industrialized and mass scale.

Blablahb:

Tree man:
VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

The Falklands war was started by Argentinia my dear, and even today the imperialist agenda of Argentinia causes tensions in the region. Much like the dictator Chavez threatened to invade the Netherlands to draw attention away from his own reign. The Korean war began with Koreans, and escalated when the Chinese got involed. One of the main agressors in the Second World War was Japan.

Long story short: Creating an anti-white history is a project doomed to failure. For an illustration, check out the earlier topic about colonial times in which I had no trouble leveling any one-sided or racist assigning of blame by pointing out either the act in question being normal at the time at the place, it being judged by a double standard, or it being totally fabricated in the first place.

You yourself screwed up by mentioning cattle-related diseases wiping out many who had never come in contact with them as being the fault of white people in the age of discovery. Bullshit of course. Diseases don't care who you are, diseases are exactly that: diseases. And where in that complaint of yours is the Black Death? It came from China and wiped out some 30-60% of all Europeans. And before that, half of Europe died, against from a disease from China, bubonic plague in the Plague of Justinian.
Blaming only one race for the diseases they carry is clearly a racist line of reasoning, and thus not a valid argument.

Who rear cattle? Is Argentina white? The black death caused so much damage because of poor hygiene, world war two started with the breach of the treaty of Versailles by Adolf Hitler, japan got involved later.

Checked North Korea invaded due to America controlling and splitting the country along the 38th parallel.

Do not try to lecture someone who teaches history for a living.

Volf99:

Tree man:

Volf99:

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

So only the negative things should be focused on? What about the Car, the Plane, and the Television? These are things that all people take advantage of, and yet White people made them. If you want to focus on negative things, that's fine but don't ignore the good that White People have done to.

I was poitning out the bad things in relation to another post as sarcasm.

Blablahb:

the caucasian race as the wish to oppress and destroy other people.

Caucasian is a single, unified race now?

Fail.

Tree man:

PinochetIsMyBro:

Tree man:

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

I teach history at both GCSE and AS level.

Yes people killed each other before, but the Europeans made it industrialized and mass scale.

Indeed but that has more to do with the fact that Europeans industrialized first and were the first to actually have the ability to industrialize warfare on a massive scale.

Tree man:
Do not try to lecture someone who teaches history for a living.

If someone claims the Falklands war and the Korea war and the Second World War were purely European affairs, you can be sure I'm going to correct them.

And definately lecture them too if it appears they're under the influence of white guilt history rewriting. After all, it's obviously not a good thing if people selectively remember and erase history out of racist motivations. You for instance conventiently forgot to mention that it was perfectly normal in North America at the time to drive away another tribe if you had the power to.
It's more than a little odd to only blame the whites for something everybody was doing at the time, and which was perfectly normal. Why be so selective?

Shawn MacDonald:
Do I get to put ranch on all my food and then attempt to dance at a night club. Will it be alright on White People Day to hit on Asian chicks with total immunity. I take a black person out to lunch and then tell him about all my suffering.

So you want to treat Asian women and Black people like crap? Why? What did they do to you? Why can't there be a day where people celebrate their European ancestry without intentionally offending other people?

Tree man:

Volf99:

Tree man:

500 years thing.

VX nerve gas.
Nuclear weapons.
WWII
WWI
Falklands war.
Korean war.
Vietnam war.

I was poitning out the bad things in relation to another post as sarcasm.

As you pointed out, your a teacher. So why don't you act like one and stop being so prejudice in what things you wish to focus on? If you are a teacher, you sure are acting like a poor one. smh

Volf99:

Shawn MacDonald:

So you want to treat Asian women and Black people like crap? Why? What did they do to you? Why can't there be a day where people celebrate their European ancestry without intentionally offending other people?

Do you know what a joke is? Why would somebody write this if they were not joking. I was using white stereotypes with the ranch and dacing part. Getting all puffed up and going on a crusade is not going to help anybody. Have a drink and enjoy life without getting pissed at everything you read. Think it's pretty easy to tell when someone is not taking life seriously in a thread.

Drawde:

If black people and latinos want a movement/day where they celebrate biased history, white people can just do the same.

After you persecute a group of people as a collective, that said collective will unify together in an attempt to educate both fellow members and outsiders that they are human beings with culture and they should be proud. A very common way this happens is through "pride" movements or cultural celebration days.

It's a symptom of oppression. The reason we don't see WHITE PEOPLE DAY! is because for the last few hundreds of years - white people day was every day. White people don't have any reason to cling together and to celebrate their history.

However if you all of a sudden starting persecuting them, like what has happened in Zimbabwe, then the "pride" movements would be gushing out everywhere.

When you dehumanise someone, they will relish the opportunity to prove their humanity.

So many of you are addressing this issue in all the wrong ways. You're focusing too much on what the movements are and you are forgetting why they are there to begin with. If black people were treated like human beings with equal rights in US history, none of this would be an issue at all and I highly doubt there would be any such thing of "black pride".

I'm black and I can attest first hand that being black is a cultural thing. I was walking in the US two years ago and every black person I passed either nodded their head to me, asked me where I was from, smiled at me or just gave me a look. When I meet a black person, there seems to be a feeling of comradeship already there. It's like we start out with a disposition of 30% instead of the default 0%. Doesn't matter what country they are from - if they are black, it's there. It's strange as hell - but I know for a fact white people don't have the same experience with other white people.

But once again I will repeat: If black people where never persecuted I doubt this would happen. If white people lived in a country where they were the oppressed minority - than this would happen to them instead (Zimbabwe).

Drawde:

Race shouldn't matter. I launched Batman Arkham City yesterday and I saw Batman's face... He was white. He could be black.

What? No he couldn't. Bruce Wayne is clearly a white man.

Drawde:

So, essentially, black people are all incredibly racist and favor black people over white people, way more than white people do?

You've deliberately made the biggest stretch possible. You completely missed my point.

If I ran into another Northern Irish person in the USA I would have a higher default disposition towards them than an American.

Does that make me anti-American?

No. Not at all.

I view people who share cultural ties to me positively. I don't view people who don't negatively - I view them neutrally.

I'm guessing you're a troll, but still.

It's related to being persecuted, yet you say: 'Doesn't matter what country they are from - if they are black, it's there.'?

I was talking about how persecution has created a minority effect where you feel closer to each other than you would otherwise.

This went so far over your head it isn't funny.

I'm not going to reply to you any further. If you don't understand now you aren't going to. Not interested in trying to give you a different perspective. Not worth it.

Drawde:
But if we still act like white is the normal default and black is 'special', we're never gonna get a black Batman or something similar.

Well, yes, but it's not Black Pride day's which are causing this. They are a reaction to something that's existed before them.

Sure, you can ask black rights groups to behave the way they should in a perfect society, but until everyone else agrees to as well, don't expect this view to be popular.

Black Pride day is a symptom of inequality, not a cause. If you want to get rid of it, you should target the source of the inequality, not people trying to overcome it with such things.

Drawde:

So, essentially, black people are all incredibly racist and favor black people over white people, way more than white people do?

Confusing cultural identity for racism is an incredibly obtuse thing.

Drawde:

Blahblahblah

Sigh. Stop grasping for straws.

Still Life:

Still Life:

Drawde:

Blahblahblah

Sigh. Stop grasping for straws.

Ok, I laughed at that.

Still Life:

Still Life:

Seriously though, not saying you are wrong, but the latter likes to borrow the clothes of the former when it goes out.

Drawde:

zzzzz

Again, you confuse cultural identity for racism.

Fail.

thaluikhain:

Seriously though, not saying you are wrong, but the latter likes to borrow the clothes of the former when it goes out.

Yes, that is a good point. It's generally easy to distinguish who's wearing the clothes in my experience.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked