Strawmen and Zealots: Enough with the nuts

Ever notice that if a group get big enough (clubs, movements, internet forums) there is bound to be a few jerks that show up.

This is the case with everyone. Animal Rights Activists have PETA; Environment Protection advocates have Eco Terrorists; Anime Fans have Yaoi Fangirls.

These are the people who do not just simply give ammunition to the their opposition; these are the people who scare the believers of their group.

So People of Faith and those with a Complete Lack There Of; Save the Whales and Nuke 'em Good; and everyone else: Who are your nuts.

Edit: Just In case I wasn't being clear, who are the fanatics.

Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, and one living in California, it would be too easy to simply say the Saints in Utah, but since most people in that state are something else, not going there. I'm instead going with the splinter group.

FLDS: The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Remember a few years back in 2008 with a group of religious nuts that were accused of child abuse, forced marriages, statutory rape, and all the lady folk looked like they came off the set of Little House on the Prairie? That's them. There is a reason my church doesn't associate with them, and they in-turn with us.

I believe you're talking fanaticism. Those people are very scary and will hurt you somehow if you think something different

Yeah, Scarecrows Strawmen really need to get a brain.

saint of m:
FLDS: The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Remember a few years back in 2008 with a group of religious nuts that were accused of child abuse, forced marriages, statutory rape, and all the lady folk looked like they came off the set of Little House on the Prairie? That's them. There is a reason my church doesn't associate with them, and they in-turn with us.

You're referring to Uncle Rulon and Warren Jeffs? I wouldn't have heard much about them if I hadn't read Krakauer's book about the Lafferty brothers.

@ first two posts: Pretty much. want to know the groups that give the ones fighting for something good a bad name.

Such as Gay Rights Activist having to do double duty dealing with the crap homophobes dish out and those that are part of Bash Back whose name says what they do.

@ Seanchaidh: Yeah, those guys make me wonder how some people believe there is no such thing as evil.

Zekksta:
Yeah, Scarecrows Strawmen really need to get a brain.

If only...

Seanchaidh:

saint of m:

You're referring to Uncle Rulon and Warren Jeffs? I wouldn't have heard much about them if I hadn't read Krakauer's book about the Lafferty brothers.

IIRC they were in the news and stuff. Kinda made a big deal of it for a while when a bunch of their kids were taken if I'm remembering it right. At least in the US, not sure where you're from.

USA. My bad on confusing the groups. The other had similar happenings, with it's leader, Warren Jeffs, actually going on the FBI most wanted list for a while until he was caught. I doubt their practices have changed much over the years.

Just WAIT until you see my nuts

They're INSANE

I am of course talking about the loonies at the westboro baptist church, and for the love of all that is holy let this post be all the coverage they receive for the next millenium

saint of m:
Ever notice that if a group get big enough (clubs, movements, internet forums) there is bound to be a few jerks that show up.

This is the case with everyone. Animal Rights Activists have PETA; Environment Protection advocates have Eco Terrorists; Anime Fans have Yaoi Fangirls.

One of these things is not like the other. O.o

My fanatics? Asatru fanatics come in a couple of different flavors. There's the wild-eyed racist Neo-Nazi skinhead prisoner Odinist lot. Then there are the Theodish people who didn't get the "just because it's old doesn't mean it's automagically good" memo and are re-enacting Viking society, complete with willing slaves and kings. Oh, and on the other end of the made up-to-reenacted scale, there's the cult up in Massachusetts that's mixing BDSM and Norse religion in a completely make-it-up-as-you-go-along way, and includes people who are "god-slave-wife" to Odin who conduct rituals piercing people's skin and *injecting saline solution into their chests* as part of Odin's "possession", preying on the psychologically damaged. There ain't enough hate in the whole world for all these fucking people, IMO, especially the first and the last.

Those are the ones specific to Norse paganism. Any other shade of Paganism you can name has their own brand of lunatics and losers. Don't get me started on how badly Egyptian reconstructionism runs to cults, worse than any multiple-group religion I've ever seen.

evilneko:

saint of m:

I missed that lovely bit of sexism. Yes, I believe that's what TV Tropes would call "murder, arson, and jay-walking".

Not exactly "my people" as such, but members of civil rights groups who are (rightfully enough) demanded equal rights for themselves, but are contain to tolerate or encourage oppression of all other marginalised groups.

thaluikhain:
Not exactly "my people" as such, but members of civil rights groups who are (rightfully enough) demanded equal rights for themselves, but are contain to tolerate or encourage oppression of all other marginalised groups.

Hear, hear. Intersectionality, people. Learn it, live it, do it.

(I'd particularly like to see the LGBT movement stop being the medium-L, giant bold-G, sidelined and presumed not to exist-b, trampled on-t movement. So tired of misogynistic rich white gay men who dgaf about anyone else.)

evilneko:

saint of m:

You're right - Eco Terrorists aren't that bad really, when you get to know them.

Ok, another group i fall under: Gamer.

the teabagger, PKer's or player killer. Pretty much these are the annoying jerks that play too much of the game, have no life, and their language consists of insults and homophobic and sexist comments. Grow up or hand us your balls before you hurt yourself with them. Your man cards are revoked.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked