Man deported for blasphemy

Pages PREV 1 2

Knight Templar:

reonhato:
i would love to see the islam defenders have a go at this one.

Who in their right mind would defend a blasphemy law?

If you defend a blasphemy law you're not in your right mind...

Doesn't mean all Muslims are like this or that Christians are saints in comparison.

I hate how people try to defend Christianity with "but the Muslims...".

In other news, this is obviously bad.

Zekksta:

Kendarik:

pyrate:
Do you defend the Catholic Church because not all of them fiddle the kiddies, or do you lambaste them for allowing the practice and not doing enough to stop it?

Do you defend white men because not all of them fiddle with kiddies?

White men aren't an organization, OTHER THAN WALL STREET DO HO HO.

But yeah, he asked a question and you answered with a question that's funny but not really comparable.

Why not make your point by saying something like "I defend the Catholic Church in this instance, because I don't believe in condemning everyone for the actions of a few" and then snidely ask "Do you?"

That'll learn him.

I assumed he had a few active IQ points and could figure out what I was saying without, just as you did. I don't really find myself bound by how YOU would have posed the response, you have clearly demonstrated that the message was delivered as intended.

Kendarik:

Zekksta:

Kendarik:

Do you defend white men because not all of them fiddle with kiddies?

But yeah, he asked a question and you answered with a question that's funny but not really comparable.

Why not make your point by saying something like "I defend the Catholic Church in this instance, because I don't believe in condemning everyone for the actions of a few" and then snidely ask "Do you?"

That'll learn him.

I assumed he had a few active IQ points and could figure out what I was saying without, just as you did. I don't really find myself bound by how YOU would have posed the response, you have clearly demonstrated that the message was delivered as intended.

Are you joking? I could say "I like corn chips" on this sub-forum and people would accuse me of hating chocolate. It's best to be clear, lest people just make shit up for you.

Zekksta:

Kendarik:

Zekksta:

That'll learn him.

Are you joking? I could say "I like corn chips" on this sub-forum and people would accuse me of hating chocolate. It's best to be clear, lest people just make shit up for you.

So why do you hate chocolate? ;)

Kendarik:

Zekksta:

Kendarik:

So why do you hate chocolate? ;)

I like you.

reonhato:

Kendarik:

reonhato:

so, apostasy for blasphemy, a great religion of peace, or so we are told. i would love to see the islam defenders have a go at this one.

Ah, so this is a hate thread, got it! Good going painting all of a religion with the brush of one country's beliefs!

ignoring that blasphemy laws are not uncommon in muslim countries, with death a very publicised punishment of apostasy that cannot be denied is a teaching of islam. i do not hate islamic people, i dislike religion fullstop, but what i do hate the most out of all of them are those who feel the need to defend islam when they are not a follower of said religion. those who defend their own religion have the disadvantage of having been brainwashed, they can claim ignorance, but those who have not and have knowledge of islam but still defend it cannot claim ignorance.

Just as you hate not people, but religions, there are others who defend not religions, but people. Islam defenders are an invention of your imagination, or at best a small number of provocative commentators whose influence you have overestimated.

Interesting fact: Stoning isn't actually mentioned in the Quran whereas it is mentioned two times in a hadith (a religious text that Muslims are not required to believe in) and eight times in the Bible.

AlotFirst:
Interesting fact: Stoning isn't actually mentioned in the Quran whereas it is mentioned two times in a hadith (a religious text that Muslims are not required to believe in) and eight times in the Bible.

Uhm, the hadith is the second most important Muslim scripture, only invalidated if the quran were to contradict it directly, which it to my knowledge doesn't do anywhere.

Blablahb:

AlotFirst:

Uhm, the hadith is the second most important Muslim scripture, only invalidated if the quran were to contradict it directly, which it to my knowledge doesn't do anywhere.

Emphasis on second. The hadith is regarded by Shi'ism and Sunnism as religious scripture that cannot be missed, yet, while most Muslims are Shia or Sunni, there are only seven countries where stoning is still a punishment included in the law. This essentially proves that it isn't necessary to go by the rules of the hadith.

I do not get how the facebook group demanding his death is still online and was not removed by facebook and why it has about 26000 supporters while the Save Hamza Kashgari not even has 8000. Why do people seem to be much more passionate about killing someone than saving someone in this case?

xedi:
I do not get how the facebook group demanding his death is still online and was not removed by facebook and why it has about 26000 supporters while the Save Hamza Kashgari not even has 8000. Why do people seem to be much more passionate about killing someone than saving someone in this case?

It's kind of easy to sit in an ivory tower and pass judgement about something you won't see the consequences of.

Just look for instance at how many people described themselves as 'pro-life' and if you ask them about experience with the subject, it turns out that pretty much all of them are men, living sheltered in rich communities, with no problems, with no experience regarding being raped, being pregnant, life choices and what not. They basically have an opinion about something they don't understand.

If endorsing wanting Kashgari killed involved having to watch the execution from close, I'd be surprised if 500 people remained. And chances are the lot of them would wish they hadn't backed it after watching it happen.

Religious extremism 101: It's easier to point the finger at someone than to do it yourself.

And now, some historical background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_the_United_States

Pennsylvania enacted a law against blasphemy in 1977. In the fall of 2007, George Kalman sent the completed forms for incorporating a company to the Pennsylvania Department of State. Kalman wanted to incorporate a movie-production company which he called I Choose Hell Productions, LLC. A week later, Kalman received a notice from the Pennsylvania Department of State which informed him that his forms could not be accepted because a business name "may not contain words that constitute blasphemy, profane cursing or swearing or that profane the Lord's name."

Admittedly, it's a loooong way from public stoning, but that's one of the many advantages to living in a society that theoretically has freedom of religion.

The last U.S. conviction for blasphemy - at least that of any significance - was of atheist activist Charles Lee Smith. In 1928 he rented a storefront in Little Rock, Arkansas, and gave out free atheist literature there. The sign in the window read: "Evolution Is True. The Bible's a Lie. God's a Ghost." For this he was charged with violating the city ordinance against blasphemy. Because he was an atheist and therefore couldn't swear the court's religious oath to tell the truth, he wasn't permitted to testify in his own defense. The judge then dismissed the original charge, replacing it with one of distributing obscene, slanderous, or scurrilous literature. Smith was convicted, fined $25, and served most of a twenty-six-day jail sentence.

13,000 people are fans of the page on Facebook calling for this man's execution? What the fucking hell is wrong with those people? His tweet wasn't even all that bad, he said he liked some things about the prophet and he didn't like other things about him, and ended by saying he will not pray for him. It's utter bullshit that he will probably be executed, but again, that is to be expected from countries run on fanatical laws.

EDIT: Fuck, there are even more people calling for this man's death, and only 8,000 fans of the page wanting to save him? I cannot brings to words how disgusting that is.

EDIT: Protests in Berlin and another being planned in DC? Good to see, better than the scum out for blood.

I don't know whether we have many readers from Germany here but there is a demonstration in front of the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Berlin demanding the release of Hamza on Friday. So if you want to save Hamza and live near Berlin it would be great to see you there.

Blablahb:

xedi:

It's kind of easy to sit in an ivory tower and pass judgement about something you won't see the consequences of.

Just look for instance at how many people described themselves as 'pro-life' and if you ask them about experience with the subject, it turns out that pretty much all of them are men, living sheltered in rich communities, with no problems, with no experience regarding being raped, being pregnant, life choices and what not. They basically have an opinion about something they don't understand.

If endorsing wanting Kashgari killed involved having to watch the execution from close, I'd be surprised if 500 people remained. And chances are the lot of them would wish they hadn't backed it after watching it happen.

Religious extremism 101: It's easier to point the finger at someone than to do it yourself.

There's truth in that (and clicking a button on FB while comfortably outraged and then forgetting about it afterwards because you don't really care is easy enough to do), but executions have historically been fairly popular to watch, still are in some places.

I just read that there will be a protest in Washington D.C. this Saturday, too: https://www.facebook.com/events/108897715900511/

Pft this is nothing, you should see what the Germans do to people who forget to remove the Swastikas from World War II video games.

Kendarik:

reonhato:

so, apostasy for blasphemy, a great religion of peace, or so we are told. i would love to see the islam defenders have a go at this one.

Ah, so this is a hate thread, got it! Good going painting all of a religion with the brush of one country's beliefs!

One country...

Saudi Arabaia
Iran
Malaysia
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Oman
Qatar
Syria
Pakistan
Yemen
United Arab Emirates
Indonesia
Nigeria
Bangladesh
Egypt
Sudan
Algeria
Iraq
Uzbekistan

Every single nation listed above follows Islamic law, and saying a single negative word about Mohammad is punishable by death. While rarely enforced, it IS the law, and in this case got carried out.

Personally, it's a load of bullshit and fries.

However, there are many Muslims who are opposed to the execution and who interpret the Qur'an differently. Of course this shows why arguments based on scripture are totally worthless because even if they were god's word nobody would know what they mean and everybody would have different interpretations as it is right now, BUT it does show that Islam is not inherently supportive of such punishment and thus I think it is unfair to blame it on Islam as a whole.

Seekster:
Pft this is nothing, you should see what the Germans do to people who forget to remove the Swastikas from World War II video games.

Are you kidding me? Germans are not killing people over nazi symbols, heck, the death sentence is illegal in the EU! To compare laws prohibiting the use of nazi symbols to laws demanding death for anybody who expresses even the slighted doubt about religious leaders is insane.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Saudi Arabaia
Iran
Malaysia
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Oman
Qatar
Syria
Pakistan
Yemen
United Arab Emirates
Indonesia
Nigeria
Bangladesh
Egypt
Sudan
Algeria
Iraq
Uzbekistan

Every single nation listed above follows Islamic law,

This requires further explanation, as there is not a single definition of what constitutes Islamic Law. You've got Iran and Saudi Arabia on the same list, and those countries' predominant interpretations of Islam are pretty radically divergent. Further, the degree to which Islamic law is enforced also varies from country to country. The UAE is pretty famous as a liberal Muslim nation where non-Muslims are free not to follow Muslim law for example.

xedi:
However, there are many Muslims who are opposed to the execution and who interpret the Qur'an differently. Of course this shows why arguments based on scripture are totally worthless because even if they were god's word nobody would know what they mean and everybody would have different interpretations as it is right now, BUT it does show that Islam is not inherently supportive of such punishment and thus I think it is unfair to blame it on Islam as a whole.

Seekster:

Are you kidding me? Germans are not killing people over nazi symbols, heck, the death sentence is illegal in the EU! To compare laws prohibiting the use of nazi symbols to laws demanding death for anybody who expresses even the slighted doubt about religious leaders is insane.

Yes actually I was kidding you. Sorry should have put in a sarcasm note.

Seekster:

Yes actually I was kidding you. Sorry should have put in a sarcasm note.

It's alright, this topic makes me kinda sensitive right now...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked