Is there a modern day version of the Bible?

I did some searching but can't really find one. I did stumble upon the Manga Bible though.
Basically, is there a version of the Bible that takes place in the current generation?

I'm doing research on Bible versions for my scripture (is that the correct term?).
Gonna go on searching now, but thought that it might help to ask here : )

there might be various books of illustrated parables and the like, but I don't think what you're looking for exists.

there's simply too much content and a huge portion of it is simply not applicable to any current real world situation. heck, if you tried to frame the old testament in a modern setting it would be truly horrifying....I' pretty sure it would be the kind of fantasy horror books that christian groups would actively boycott and throw a shit storm over.

though there's always the brick Testament http://www.thebricktestament.com/ =)

People say the story of The Matrix trilogy is analogous of the Bible, if that's what you mean when you say a "modern version".

yes... it's called "The Bible".... it probably could be written in modern context but won't because the church sees it as an account of factual historical events so what you are asking for would be like asking for a biography of Leonidas I only set in the 2000s...

I'm sure tho if you surf around you can find a copy or site that has notes on section to help you put it in more modern context... hell most of those classes they hold at churches are for just that purpose

I don't exactly get what you're asking, but here's an illustrated lego version.
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

It's a lot easier to find specific passages in this one.

Royta:
I did some searching but can't really find one. I did stumble upon the Manga Bible though.
Basically, is there a version of the Bible that takes place in the current generation?

I don't think so. The whole point of the Bible is that it's supposed to be a written testament of what happened and what God did. Sort of a history book. Someone could make a story based on the Bible in the present day but it would not be the Bible, the same way writing about the history of Vikings but setting it in 2215 would not be the history of Vikings.

EDIT: so this is what happens when you open a tab and decide to respond some time later. Ninja'd by Liquidacid23. I basically repeated what he said.

Thanks for the responses all. It was mearly an inquery. I found a few, one actually taking place in modern day. But so far 0 of those versions have been a succes due to flawed writing.

Also, big lol about the Lego Bible. Great stuff!

Royta:

I'm doing research on Bible versions for my scripture (is that the correct term?).
Gonna go on searching now, but thought that it might help to ask here : )

There's the Jamaican Patois Bible, which is currently being re-written in modern Jamaican patois. It doesn't take place in a modern setting, but the language and terminology is updated for it's current audience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16285462

Currently they've only translated the Gospel of Luke, or Jiizas - di buk we Luuk rait bout im, but it seems like a promising way to make the Bible relevant to a modern (Jamaican) audience.

I can easily imagine Little Jacob from GTA IV speaking this passage:

"De angel go to Mary and say to 'er, me have news we going to make you well 'appy. God really, really, bless you and him a walk with you all de time.".

I'm not religious at all, but if it isn't King James, it isn't Bible.

Unless it is Lord Buckley.

[standard comparing of the bible to fiction]
Sure there is, there's the Twilight Saga. Just as badly written, and full of idiotic ideas that really shouldn't be taken seriously. [/standard comparing of the bible to fiction]

No, not really. The most accepted version is usually the King James version. There are a few others that are used around the world, but all in all KJV is the one to go for if you really want to read a bible. I always recommend people should. Nothing makes you realise what a crock Christianity can be then reading the bible.

I heard that Halo used a lot of ideas from the Bible? Including The Flood et cetera.

What do you mean a modern version of the Bible? The NIV is one of the most widespread recent versions. If you are looking for content that is set in modern times then you wont find that in the Bible for the same reason you wont find a history book that talks about Caesar listening to an iPod.

The Message translation is....ok, I guess. If you fancy old idioms rewritten with new ones. Not bad though.

Ok I dont understand your meaning do you mean translated into modern language or the bible put into modern setting.
For the first I suggest the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
On the secound I have no clue I've never seen a good version of it that relayed the same feelings but there are some attpemts too do it.

Seekster:
What do you mean a modern version of the Bible? The NIV is one of the most widespread recent versions. If you are looking for content that is set in modern times then you wont find that in the Bible for the same reason you wont find a history book that talks about Caesar listening to an iPod.

I think the OP might've been thinking more along the lines of this.

It uses contemporary phrases and idioms so it can make the overall gist of passages a little easier to understand. I imagine it would come in handy if, say, one was teaching Biblical studies to people who are still learning English or perhaps younger children who might be put off by some of the archaic language.

hardlymotivated:

Seekster:

I think the OP might've been thinking more along the lines of this.

It uses contemporary phrases and idioms so it can make the overall gist of passages a little easier to understand. I imagine it would come in handy if, say, one was teaching Biblical studies to people who are still learning English or perhaps younger children who might be put off by some of the archaic language.

Meh I guess...I read the King James Bible though so I don't respond well when people complain about the language in the Bible being too hard to understand. But yeah sure I'd imagine using more modern equivalents for phrases would be a good idea thought of course you would want to take great care that this doesnt change the meaning.

Frankly, the idea of a bible as an idea is in itself just a tad bit outdated. No matter what you say, you can pretty much guarantee that it won't be relevant for any meaningful (on a timescale of human existence) amount of time simply because societal values/morals do inevitably change.

Seekster:
Meh I guess...I read the King James Bible though so I don't respond well when people complain about the language in the Bible being too hard to understand. But yeah sure I'd imagine using more modern equivalents for phrases would be a good idea thought of course you would want to take great care that this doesnt change the meaning.

That's a very serious problem [1], yes, but no more than for the King James Bible itself.

[1] As the Venerable Bede said "From one language to another, to keep the beauty, change, possible, it is not" or words in Latin (or was it Old English?) to that effect

thaluikhain:

Seekster:

That's a very serious problem [1], yes, but no more than for the King James Bible itself.

You don't understand, reading from the King James Bible would almost be a punishment for a little kid. Seriously English has changed a lot since then...so much thouest.

[1] As the Venerable Bede said "From one language to another, to keep the beauty, change, possible, it is not" or words in Latin (or was it Old English?) to that effect

Obviously the best modern version of the Bible is P. K. McCary's "slang bible" which is written entirely in early 90s black slang.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-09-25/local/me-38878_1_king-james-bible

Seekster:

thaluikhain:

Seekster:

You don't understand, reading from the King James Bible would almost be a punishment for a little kid. Seriously English has changed a lot since then...so much thouest.

I know that, I meant tnat the King James Version is itself a translation, with all the inherent problems in that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked