I observe lent
Yes.
6.8% (4)
6.8% (4)
No.
89.8% (53)
89.8% (53)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Escapist! What (if anything) are you giving up for the next 40 days?

Ok, let's not turn this into a discussion about your particular views on lent and catholicism.

Right, so what (if anything) are you giving up for the next 40 days?

Going to New Zealand for 4 weeks in about 4 weeks, that count? Taking clothes and a surfboard :)

Murdering infants and devouring their souls. I try to set easy, achievable targets.

Whoops, accidently hit report...

Not Catholic here, though I went to a Catholic university and managed to get a crash course in this stuff. Deep-fried foods probably tops my list of things I could give up for 40 days.

Not related to lent, but i am trying to quit sex and 40 days is a good goal. A bit stressful though

taciturnCandid:
Not related to lent, but i am trying to quit sex and 40 days is a good goal. A bit stressful though

Uh, you want to elaborate on that? You're trying to give up what now?

I'll give up facebook, television, and processed foods.

If I could only give up video games I might start to excel.

I'm a protestant, so no. I don't observe lent.

If I were to give up something, it would be swearing. I should cut down on that, anyway.

I'm thinking Dunkin Donuts... as of right now, I can get there, get a bagel, and get back to my computer in 4 minutes, so that should be challenge enough.

I'm going to be taking on an idea I heard of a few years back and, rather than trying to give something up, I will try to do something I don't normally do. I will try to, every day, find at least one hour to work on a personal art project of mine. Something that has nothing to do with any of my classes. Because I do like to think of myself as an artist, but it's rather sad how much more time I've been spending in Skyrim than in a word processor, video program, image program, or with a pencil in my hand.

I'm actually going to try traditional food fasting. I was doing good last year, but then I got a particularly horrible arm injury, so it became defacto giving up mental clarity (Painkillers), fashionable clothes (I couldn't put on traditional clothes), and going out. I figured I could have an extra glass of milk at that point.

Here's to hoping I won't suffer any debilitating injuries this year.

taciturnCandid:

Query: is that limited to sex with others or all forms of sexual release?

Thank you, nearly forgot that it's pancake day today.

Um, probably nothing. Possibly extended reading for my course, because it's getting really boring...

Luxury bottled water. I'm not sure if I'll make it or not without that flavour but oh well.

The Gentleman:
Whoops, accidently hit report...

I do that all the damn time. Somewhere out there there is a mod just waiting for me to slip up so he can ban me because I keep spamming him with reports of perfectly normal posts. They need to have a "Are you sure?" feature for the report button or something.

OT: Im not giving up anything. I just havent found anything good to give up yet.

For Lent I am giving up the same thing I have given up every Lent since I went to Catholic School and found out what Lent was...I am giving up Lent. Woot Protestants, unorganized religion ftw!

Seriously though I guess as a Southern Baptist I may be giving up the name of my denomination...or will if I want to or not. Apparently the Southern Baptist Convention is meeting and there is talk of changing the name of the largest Protestant denomination in America (which would be us). Apparently "Southern" sounds too regional and they think it hurts efforts to convert people elsewhere.

In my circles it is traditional to participate in "shrove tuesday" (not pancake tuesday) and carnival (although it isn't celebrated the same way here), but not participate in lent. So what do I answer?

Well, this year I completely forgot about carnival (I missed out on the cream-filled buns), and it doesn't look like I'll be doing anything for shrove tuesday either. So I guess I'm not observing it at all this year.

Thanks, religious people, for giving me an excuse to stuff my face with delicious sweets while passing on the whole sacrificing thing you're so into.

Masturbation. Wish me luck.

The Gentleman:

taciturnCandid:

Query: is that limited to sex with others or all forms of sexual release?

With other people. Due to some medical problems, other forms of release don't really work. So it is kinda stressful.

The idea of giving up something to show faith seems like an interesting idea.

Since I don't observe Lent and I'm in grad school, I'm giving up the same thing for the next 40 days as I gave up for the last several months: a dynamic and active social life and a paycheck that would allow me to sustain it.

i'm giving up lent for lent.

i figure its the least i can do.

Oh, it's that time of year already?

I used to observe lent, not so much anymore.

hardlymotivated:

Ok, what a noble goal and I hope you succeed.

OT: Not going to be doing it this year. I have never held my promise to my self, and I am not religious anyway, so why bother?

Even if I were catholic I probably wouldn't follow through with what I was supposed to abstain from out of apathy.

Not G. Ivingname:

hardlymotivated:

Ok, what a noble goal and I hope you succeed.

OT: Not going to be doing it this year. I have never held my promise to my self, and I am not religious anyway, so why bother?

Haha, I wish it were that noble a goal. I had to be circumcised recently, and one is meant to abstain for 4-6 weeks to let the wound heal.

It is not going to be fun, but that video certainly cheered me up!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked