Why are white teenage girls making racist youtube videos?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So i came across this this morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/gainesville-high-school-s_n_1290929.html

And it imeadiately reminded me of this

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2012/01/arizona_girls_record_racist_yo.php

And this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/alexandra-wallace-racist-video_n_835505.html

and many more. Although im not all that concerned with frivolous and offensive language of this type, I am a bit worried that this has happened maybe half a dozen times in the past few years. I know that racism is alive and well, but what is it that makes people think that making a youtube video for something like this is a good idea? What is it about young white girls that makes them the main source for this foolishness?

Why are only whites ever made a fuss about and even forced to leave school over something which is clearly freedom of speech within the legal context of the US?

Neither can I believe people drag up stories that old. It's already crazy somebody still brings up something from march 2011, which wasn't racist to begin with. That girl was annoyed because she has to take care of herself, and noticed Asian students had their parents come over each weekend to do their laundry and stuff.

If someone calls that racism, it says more about that person than about the student who made that video.

How could we ever judge the culture of that women? We see those videos completely out of context. It's just cherry-picking.

Semi-trolling of course, but a lot of people here have no problems justifying insanely violent and crazy quotes from Holy Scriptures. And the context is important; I don't know those women, maybe they were raped by illegal immigrants or something, I don't know.

Because its easier to be racist in a online video then face to face with members of the race you don't like?

Blablahb:
Why are only whites ever made a fuss about and even forced to leave school over something which is clearly freedom of speech within the legal context of the US?

"forced" to leave school connotes that the schools expel them which is never the case. They leave school voluntarily becuase they make themselves paraihs or do something else stupid. Cmon Blah for once try to be reasonable.

feeqmatic:
Cmon Blah for once try to be reasonable.

LMAO, OMG, thanks for the laugh!

Blablahb:

Freedom of Speech=/=Freedom From Consequence.

Just because they're not gonna arrest you for saying racist stuff doesn't mean the school is obligated to put up with you.

Plus it's pretty well established that school students have their freedo.m of speech restricted by the school admin more than the general public by the government

Are they right in doing so? I don't think so, but that's how it currently is.

On one hand, I'm upset at the girls for what they said, and they shouldn't be in the school. On the other hand, I don't know if someone of another race would have had any action taken against them at all.

There's bizarre racist shit all over the internet, most of it is said with the benefit of anonymity but some people want to prove that it can be said without backlash. Of course, in at least some of these cases it could also be that they were simply trolling and couldn't predict the consequences, but we already know we're not dealing with the best and brightest when we're talking about anyone that would post a racist rant on youtube.

Some of you are missing my piont. Why is it these types of girls? Is it just a mean girl bullying type thing (notic most of these girls seem to be fairly attractive and "trendy" dressed). Do they think they are exempt from general social rules? And to Blah... sigh, if you read my post you would get my point is that this has happened sevral times in the last few years, and despite harsh consequences, they still persist. I think that there have been like 3-4 in the past 2 months alone (that I know of), and im sure that this happens with other people and other races, but fair or not the risk of doing so is not the same.

What a bunch of stupid bitches.

Hooray for double post. Good job Captcha.

Amnestic:

You can ruin someone's funeral because of wanting to express pure hatred without consequences (the WBC won, oddly enough, remember). Obviously against that legal precedent, going after these girls is obviously not legal.

feeqmatic:
They leave school voluntarily

I quote your own news story: "Forces Girls To Leave School"....

feeqmatic:
Some of you are missing my piont. Why is it these types of girls?

If you had listened to what they said, you could've answered that question. Most of what they said wasn't primarily racist, but was just the usual republican prejudices about poor people and anyone in need of any kind of benefits. It's because of whom they are, what their background and political ideas are. Much like you've been conditioned by your background to rag on about everything a white person or westerner ever did wrong at any point in history, but couldn't care less about anything outside of it.

I find it kind of odd that some people are trying to become president of the US by saying such stuff, and they get rewarded by many voters (notice Ron Paul still having voters, who's said and defended stuff far more racist than any of this?), and two high school girls get expelled from school and get the political correctness inquisition after them.

The US should make up it's mind. Either racism is bad, racist speech gets punished, and AA racist policies go out the window. Or racism is good and legal, and everything is allowed for everybody. My preferences clearly lies with the first, but this hypocritical 'it's only racism if whites that we can touch do it' is wrong.

Blablahb:

Amnestic:

You can ruin someone's funeral because of wanting to express pure hatred without consequences (the WBC won, oddly enough, remember). Obviously against that legal precedent, going after these girls is obviously not legal.

Uh...what? I don't see any legal action being taken against the girls from the links provided. By 'consequence', I didn't mean legal consequence. I meant social. You can still be fired from your job or kicked out of school for saying something hateful which reflects badly upon the institution, regardless of Free Speech laws.

Death threats aren't legal and should rightfully be investigated, but I fail to see how kicking them out of school is a violation of their Free Speech.

feeqmatic:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/gainesville-high-school-s_n_1290929.html

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2012/01/arizona_girls_record_racist_yo.php

And this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/alexandra-wallace-racist-video_n_835505.html

and many more. Although im not all that concerned with frivolous and offensive language of this type, I am a bit worried that this has happened maybe half a dozen times in the past few years. I know that racism is alive and well, but what is it that makes people think that making a youtube video for something like this is a good idea? What is it about young white girls that makes them the main source for this foolishness?

Being white doesn't make them racist, just look at shit like this, this, and this. Should I conclude from those videos that all black people are paranoid and racist towards white people? No because they don't represent everybody.

As for one of the videos, it has to do with immigration(which is a different subject all together).

feeqmatic:
Why are white teenage girls making racist youtube videos?

It's impossible to generalize a trend off of three instances, but if you want a possible explanation for these videos, one might be the gender-based nature of bullying. IIRC about 5 years ago there was some research published that challenged our traditional male-centered notions of what constitutes bullying and aggression. The researchers discovered that if bullying is redefined as hostile, aggressive behavior not limited to physical intimidation or harm, then girls tend to bully far more often and actually far more viciously than boys. They just use tools of social ostracism rather than muscle to bully.

Social media may be changing the way bullying works. There's no reason to think traditionally male forms of bullying (physical intimidation or harm) would end up on social media any more frequently than any other behavior. However, so called female forms of bullying[1] depend on social interaction and as such social media is a very tempting vehicle for enacting it. And this means its more likely that female bullying would go viral than male, because female bullying is more likely to appear in media that is capable of going viral.

[1] I'm using the terms "Male" and "Female" here not to suggest that these forms of bullying are only practiced by males or females, but rather to identify the traditional gender role they emerge from. It's entirely possible that a girl might beat someone up, likewise that boys might socially ostracize.

Because they crave the black cock and that makes them ashamed, since their dad was always going off on tangents about those lazy niggers. Trust me, I have been there.

Seriously though, the reason can be found in the first sentence of my post. Without the black cock maybe, depending on the girls personal taste. Their parents or another person who influenced them is probably racist.

By the way, gotta love that watermark on the first video. WORLDSTARHIPHOP.COM. So you can listen to Ice Cube rapping about how white people are monsters while flaming the girls for racism. I LOVE IT. BREATH IN THE IRONY.

Volf99:
Being white doesn't make them racist, just look at shit like this, this, and this. Should I conclude from those videos that all black people are paranoid and racist towards white people? No because they don't represent everybody.

As for one of the videos, it has to do with immigration(which is a different subject all together).

Youre projecting,I never said they were racist becuase they were white, in fact i doubt these folks are all that racist, but i get your point. Also, by your words, it is clear that many black people are paranoid and racist against whites. There is a pretty well understood explanation for a lot of that. What im asking why are these girls doing this. They have seemingly no reason to do such things other than the sake of being mean. I am going with Katakori kun and willing to chalk this up to mean girl syndrome but i wanted to delve further. Are there videos of girls making fun of other girls they know on youtube?

feeqmatic:

Youre projecting,I never said they were racist becuase they were white, in fact i doubt these folks are all that racist, but i get your point.

why bring up their race then? Why not just ask why teenage girls make racist videos?

feeqmatic:
Also, by your words, it is clear that many black people are paranoid and racist against whites.

As I stated before, I obviously don't believe that because the examples of people I gave, are not representative of all Black people.

feeqmatic:
There is a pretty well understood explanation for a lot of that.

Really, and what might that be?

feeqmatic:
What im asking why are these girls doing this. They have seemingly no reason to do such things other than the sake of being mean. I am willing to chalk this up to mean girl syndrome but i wanted to did further.

Well like I typed before, the immigrant video is about immigration, and so I wouldn't lump it together with the other two. As for the other two, idk. I'll be honest I don't give this people any more thought than I do for Louis Farahakan or people that tell me that "the Jews control [insert here]". Its rubish and not worth giving them the attention that they are seeking. In other words, don't feed the troll.

feeqmatic:
Are there videos of girls making fun of other girls they know on youtube?

Possibly, given their age. However the video about Asian/Asian-Americans seems to be about both guys and girls, and the immigrant video seems to be about....well immigrants.

Volf:

feeqmatic:

Youre projecting,I never said they were racist becuase they were white, in fact i doubt these folks are all that racist, but i get your point.

why bring up their race then? Why not just ask why teenage girls make racist videos?

but by your own logic your being sexist towards women and discriminating against teenagers based on their age

spartandude:

Volf:

feeqmatic:

but by your own logic your being sexist towards women and discriminating against teenagers based on their age

hmmm....good point

Why would anyone care about what they say, or why powerless and insignificant trash such as they do anything to begin with?

Like AA supporters, they're probably just trying to take out their own pain on random others. All in some desperate and misguided search for a shred of the "care" no one initially bothered to waste on them; possibly for good reason.

...or they could just lack the verbal skills to properly express themselves. One of them in reality seems pissed at people using cell phones in a library or whatever, and two others at illegal immigration. But they somehow lack the cognitive function to actually keep the focus and phrasings on those topics; possibly because they're young and stupid.

Another example of why Freedom of Speech need to be absolute; so that everyone, no matter how inept at expressing themselves, can participate in the democratic debate. Sure, they don't have anything worthwhile to say, but one can never deny they the right.

spartandude:

Well, age may be relevant in this case. I'm from a background where there was a ton of racial tensions too. Not in my village, but one village westward and in the closest city where everybody went out in the weekends, there was always some fight going on with, in that case Morrocans, who in turn harbour some serious racist feelings towards whites.

Unsurprising, all that crap spawned a bunch of kids who decided they were neonazis and hated Muslims and what not, and contrary to the girls in that video, they had actual reasons to think that.

Still, all those kids grew up and stopped doing that somewhere around age 17-19. It's mostly just a puberty thing.

Another reason why I don't understand how Americans can blow this so horribly out of proportion. Kid in puberty says something weird. Wow, stop the presses.

I'm indifferent to the video mainly because i have a close friend who has similar views to this.

but i must say, the girl doing most the othe talking was pretty damn cute.

In response to the first video, that whole thing was disgusting, not only their comments but the responses from the audience.
"You're so racist! Go back to Mexico you spic!"

WHY IS EVERYONE SO HATEFUL

And to be honest, it's probably privilege combined with not really understanding underlying social factors that put people in situations. I saw mostly anecdotal evidence with a lot "I have a black friend so it's ok!"

feeqmatic:

And this

Dude, you're asking a question that I don't think has any easy answer. It's not 'why do teenage girls think racism is good?' and more 'why do people think racism is good?'.

What you're seeing here though is a correlation without causation.

Teenage girls (and teenage Americans in general) use the internet (and by extension some of them use YouTube) as their primary source of entertainment and communication more than say, teenagers of my age, racist or not. As the core number of teenagers overall use the internet or YouTube, the number of racists is going to rise too.

That doesn't mean there's 'more' (or 'less') racists than before. It should still be the same percent of the population.

It would be sadly unlikely that as the general population becomes more and more connected online that they'd somehow 'leave behind' such people, as much as the most of us would like them to be left behind.

Damien Granz:

feeqmatic:

And this

Dude, you're asking a question that I don't think has any easy answer. It's not 'why do teenage girls think racism is good?' and more 'why do people think racism is good?'.

What you're seeing here though is a correlation without causation.

Teenage girls (and teenage Americans in general) use the internet (and by extension some of them use YouTube) as their primary source of entertainment and communication more than say, teenagers of my age, racist or not. As the core number of teenagers overall use the internet or YouTube, the number of racists is going to rise too.

That doesn't mean there's 'more' (or 'less') racists than before. It should still be the same percent of the population.

It would be sadly unlikely that as the general population becomes more and more connected online that they'd somehow 'leave behind' such people, as much as the most of us would like them to be left behind.

I definitely agree, but for me its less about racism and more about common sense and stupidity. I know why people are racist. That is highly natural, my question was why are these particular girls the ones who do this nonsense?

feeqmatic:
I definitely agree, but for me its less about racism and more about common sense and stupidity. I know why people are racist. That is highly natural, my question was why are these particular girls the ones who do this nonsense?

Again, the point I was getting at, I guess, is that for many young people, they think that think that making a YouTube video is a 'good source' of communication in general, regardless of if what they're saying is interesting, intelligent, or mundane or really stupid.

Like if people just discovered letter writing, I'd expect a large number of missives to be racist too. It's not like "What makes letter writing draw out racist people", so much as that racist people are gonna use the same communication tools as everybody else, and there's about 12 trillion YouTube videos and blogs out there, so it stands that a few are going to be racist, at least until mind scanning technology is built that prohibits them from posting or something.

These girls are racist for the same reasons 'everybody else' that is, is, it's just they're also in a demographic unrelated to the above that thinks posting private shit on the internet publicly is going to somehow stay totally private.

So you're just looking at a Venn diagram, really. But that's my two cents, on the matter.

People like that piss me off and it's better for my blood pressure not to discuss them longer than I have to.

Remember that video of the US personnel urinating on dead enemies? And, (to avoid this turning into a US bashing thing), remember those UK looters putting pics of all the stuff they sold on FB?

People put some really, really fucking horrible and/or stupid stuff on the net.

Untold hordes of people are racist to a greater or lesser extent (you may argue that nobody is truly free from prejudice, they just fall within acceptable levels), why is it surprising that they have internet access?

feeqmatic:
Some of you are missing my piont. Why is it these types of girls? Is it just a mean girl bullying type thing (notic most of these girls seem to be fairly attractive and "trendy" dressed). Do they think they are exempt from general social rules? And to Blah... sigh, if you read my post you would get my point is that this has happened sevral times in the last few years, and despite harsh consequences, they still persist. I think that there have been like 3-4 in the past 2 months alone (that I know of), and im sure that this happens with other people and other races, but fair or not the risk of doing so is not the same.

Three points, and they all tie in together really. (note: this is all admittedly anecdotal observation)

I have found that many attractive young women seem to feel they belong to a protected social class, that perhaps the only thing that they ever gleaned from feminism is "women are special and ought to be protected" (not to say that this is at all accurate of feminism). They know/believe that their fathers, brothers, and male friends will undoubtedly white knight it up and protect them should anyone get bent over what they say or do and so feel that they are free to act how ever they please.

Many women I have met that had a tendency to say outrageous things regardless of the audience give me the impression that they are somehow giving legitimacy to these ideas by expressing them as females. I mean when we think of skin heads we tend to think of big burly guys with shaved heads who commit violence. So some women may perhaps feel that as members of the "fairer gentler" sex their support of the same ideas makes those ideas more than mere macho testosterone driven violence, that it is somehow more reasonable. It also puts me in mind of women who wish to gain acceptance from men through supporting the opinions of those males. Maybe call it "daddys girl syndrome".

Lastly, young attractive women are just that much more likely to get attention for their vlogs. Especially young attractive women that cater to the thoughts and opinions of their male audience who are ever willing to white knight up and defend them. Even Laci Green who happens to be rather feminist is fairly open about using the fact that she is a young attractive busty female to get attention for the information and ideas she wishes to spread. I am sure that there are any number of people on youtube talking about everything from feminism to "why black people are dumb" but only a relative handful of them ever get much attention.

TheStatutoryApe:
Many women I have met that had a tendency to say outrageous things regardless of the audience give me the impression that they are somehow giving legitimacy to these ideas by expressing them as females. I mean when we think of skin heads we tend to think of big burly guys with shaved heads who commit violence. So some women may perhaps feel that as members of the "fairer gentler" sex their support of the same ideas makes those ideas more than mere macho testosterone driven violence, that it is somehow more reasonable. It also puts me in mind of women who wish to gain acceptance from men through supporting the opinions of those males. Maybe call it "daddys girl syndrome".

On a related note, as a result of the (quite reasonable) condemnation of the most obviously terrible racists, skinheads for example, a lot of racist people don't consider themselves to be, because they aren't extreme like skinheads are. If racist is discussed in the context of, neonazis, say, then you have to be a neonazi or you're not racist.

When I watched that video I felt sorry for the internet generation.

Teenagers do and say stupid things all the time. They are impulsive that way.

When I was a kid they/we would say it to some people and they would spread it. But that "spread" would be within the school among our peers. But now, shit; now we have fucking You Tube and facebook and twitter.

What I see on that video is silly teenagers behaving like silly teenagers. Makes me cringe to see that this went internet.

A shame really.

The playground went global.

Everyone loses.

Regards

Nightspore

TheStatutoryApe:

feeqmatic:

Three points, and they all tie in together really. (note: this is all admittedly anecdotal observation)

I have found that many attractive young women seem to feel they belong to a protected social class, that perhaps the only thing that they ever gleaned from feminism is "women are special and ought to be protected" (not to say that this is at all accurate of feminism). They know/believe that their fathers, brothers, and male friends will undoubtedly white knight it up and protect them should anyone get bent over what they say or do and so feel that they are free to act how ever they please.

Lastly, young attractive women are just that much more likely to get attention for their vlogs. Especially young attractive women that cater to the thoughts and opinions of their male audience who are ever willing to white knight up and defend them. Even Laci Green who happens to be rather feminist is fairly open about using the fact that she is a young attractive busty female to get attention for the information and ideas she wishes to spread. I am sure that there are any number of people on youtube talking about everything from feminism to "why black people are dumb" but only a relative handful of them ever get much attention.

That sounds about right. Furthermore, you can alos throw in the guys who commit crimes and film them and put them on camera. There was story about some kids who robbed a clothing store and then put pictures of their heist on facebook, there are the kids who filmed themselves beating the asian kid from a month or so ago, and prettymuch 45% of Worldstarhiphop's video content. I guess the answer is once again "people are stupid"

Blablahb:

Neither can I believe people drag up stories that old. It's already crazy somebody still brings up something from march 2011, which wasn't racist to begin with. That girl was annoyed because she has to take care of herself, and noticed Asian students had their parents come over each weekend to do their laundry and stuff.

If someone calls that racism, it says more about that person than about the student who made that video.

'OHH Ching chong ling long ting tong? OHH'

In what world is that not racist?

Nightspore:
When I watched that video I felt sorry for the internet generation.

Teenagers do and say stupid things all the time. They are impulsive that way.

When I was a kid they/we would say it to some people and they would spread it. But that "spread" would be within the school among our peers. But now, shit; now we have fucking You Tube and facebook and twitter.

What I see on that video is silly teenagers behaving like silly teenagers. Makes me cringe to see that this went internet.

A shame really.

The playground went global.

Everyone loses.

Regards

Nightspore

Interesting thoughts, but really i think it's only unwise people who lose their privacy on the internet. I'm reminded of a case where a New York teacher made harsh remarks about some of her disruptive pupils on a private blog, which was later traced back to her and she was sacked. Back in the past, the teacher in question would have shared this information among her friends in a face-to-face situation or other the telephone, and that infomation would have stayed with her friends. Same goes for the school kids here, as you say.

Still, i think this is down to people not being clever enough when it comes to using the internet. You can get so much out of it, i certainly don't think everyone loses from it. People need to know that if they want to say anything online that may have serious consequences to their professional lives you need to make sure it can not be traced back to you. Use false names, have false profile details etc, if you are clever enough you can still say anything without getting into trouble.

Of course, this may be harder to do on youtube- but i suppose you could just wear a mask and synthesize your voice whilst making sure nobody will recognise where you are.

People just need to use their common sense when posting material like this on the internet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked