GOP Representive: "Girl Scouts Promote Abortion and Homosexuality"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yeah... that really happened.

Rep. Bob Morris (R-IN) claims he has evidence that they are a "tactical arm of Planned Parenthood"

I don't even know what to say about this. It goes beyond levels of stupidity that I even thought were possible. The only complaint that has any merit is that open lesbians are allowed to be Den Mothers. Which, while accurate, would also be incredibly intolerant.

EDIT: Morris also points to the organization being wrong in that they allowed a transgender child to join in Colorado. Really? REALLY?

Thoughts?

SOURCE: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/02/22/national/a070700S57.DTL
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ind-lawmaker-says-girl-scouts-promote-abortion-homosexuality-is-ridiculed-by-gop-colleagues/2012/02/22/gIQAGdBGTR_story.html

This feels like the Picard facepalm just isn't adequate enough. Is there a group facepalm with at least twice as much disappointment in humanity that we could post?

I was going to admonish you for bringing up ancient history, but I thought I should read the articles first.

Oh. My. God. Again? Again with this bullshit? WTF does he think goes on at these Girl Scout meetings? Even the DADT Boy Scouts don't spend any time gay bashing at their meetings (this, coming from an Eagle Scout)

Here's what I loved from one of your articles

Morris' comments about the Girl Scouts came in a letter he sent to House Republicans on Saturday that said he had conducted some research on the Internet and discovered that the scouts are a "tactical arm" of Planned Parenthood.

Lol wut?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Rep. Bob Morris (R-IN) claims he has evidence that they are a "tactical arm of Planned Parenthood"

I don't even know what to say about this. It goes beyond levels of stupidity that I even thought were possible. The only complaint that has any merit is that open lesbians are allowed to be Den Mothers. Which, while accurate, would also be incredibly intolerant.

EDIT: Morris also points to the organization being wrong in that they allowed a transgender child to join in Colorado. Really? REALLY?

Thoughts?

SOURCE: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/02/22/national/a070700S57.DTL
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ind-lawmaker-says-girl-scouts-promote-abortion-homosexuality-is-ridiculed-by-gop-colleagues/2012/02/22/gIQAGdBGTR_story.html

I read the article and found this little gem

Morris wrote a letter to House Republicans Saturday saying he had found evidence on the Internet that the scouts are a "tactical arm" of Planned Parenthood.

Yep. He's saying that the internet told him so.

That's just so silly. So yeah. He's nuts.

HAHAHAHAHAH! Im sorry this is pretty damn hilarious. It would have been concerning if he had support, but even other republicans think this guy is a moron.

CM156:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Thoughts?

Morris wrote a letter to House Republicans Saturday saying he had found evidence on the Internet that the scouts are a "tactical arm" of Planned Parenthood.

He is so nuts, he is a United States Representative.

Good times, good times.

CM156:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Thoughts?

I guess 4 chan is a valid source of information now.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

CM156:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Thoughts?

He is so nuts, he is a United States Representative.

Good times, good times.

Actually, he's a state rep, if I'm not mistaken. Not that it matters much. And even other Republicans are calling this guy out on his foolery.

keiskay:

CM156:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Thoughts?

I guess 4 chan is a valid source of information now.

Could you imagine a lawyer trying to have a threat on /b/ being added to a court record?

Yeah I read that story, love the bit where his Republican colleague basically shakes his head at the guy. This is just silly.

Girl scouts! Of course! Their innocence has been a facade all along! Who but little girls selling cookies would be behind abortion?...Aside from literally anyone else?

Wut. He's got it all wrong, Girl Scouts are crack dealers, not abortion doctors. Silly person.

crimson5pheonix:
Wut. He's got it all wrong, Girl Scouts are crack dealers, not abortion doctors. Silly person.

Dem cookies are a gateway snack man. :P

TheGuy(wantstobe):
pictures

crimson5pheonix:

Dem cookies are a gateway snack man. :P

Gateway to themselves. Other cookies despair, for they can never be thin mints.

I think we need a new version of Poe's Law: "Any sufficiently absurd satire is indistinguishable from a state legislator."

This isn't QUITE as insane as you guys think.

The Boy scouts of America have had some HEAVY influence by the Mormon Church (and several others), and officially Atheists cannot join the Scouts.

They get away with it because it is a private organization that is disconnected from the government, that is allowed to use public land for free in many cases, including military bases.

VERY private indeed.

Not sure if the Girl Scout thing is true, though.

The Gentleman:
This feels like the Picard facepalm just isn't adequate enough. Is there a group facepalm with at least twice as much disappointment in humanity that we could post?

Here you go.

OT: Gotta say, this is pretty damn silly. It feels very Poe's Law-ish. Like it would not be out of place in a comedy or something.

...And here, we can see his research method in action!

BreakfastMan:
OT: Gotta say, this is pretty damn silly. It feels very Poe's Law-ish. Like it would not be out of place in a comedy or something.

My first thought was that it sounded like something from a game of Illuminati. "Okay, the Girl Scouts, controlled by Planned Parenthood and assisted by the Feminists and the International Communist Conspiracy, are making an attack to control on the International Cocaine Smugglers..."

Amnestic:
It's not all bad apparently.

I smell a conspiracy. Perhaps this was a ploy to increase cookie sales all along . . .

Next time he's going to be calling Anthony Thompson and Andy Chambers communists. After all, internet clearly shows there was a Boxer's uprising in China

Blablahb:
Next time he's going to be calling Anthony Thompson and Andy Chambers communists. After all, internet clearly shows there was a Boxer's uprising in China

At least it wasn't the briefs.

crimson5pheonix:

No wonder their cookies are so damn addictive.

But man, what are American politicians doing? These people are just straight up insane. How do the American public find these people? I once heard someone say that the average American can get elected to congress, but only the above average can get on Jerry Springer. Turns out that guy's more right than I thought.

TheDarkEricDraven:
Girl scouts! Of course! Their innocence has been a facade all along! Who but little girls selling cookies would be behind abortion?...Aside from literally anyone else?

Well no, I can see where he is going with that...

You see he feels the girls scouts look all hot and sexy and that seeing them makes him want to sin with them. That could lead to a pregnancy, and that would require him to force the little girl to go get an abortion. See there you go, girl scouts directly contribute to sin and abortions!

Oh wait, but that would make him a pedophile...naw guess he's just nuts then :D

The Gentleman:

Don't worry, I got you covered

On topic though, I.. just... wow... Granted I've spent too long on the internet for that to be -the- craziest thing I've heard, but that's way up there.

Not G. Ivingname:

The Boy scouts of America have had some HEAVY influence by the Mormon Church (and several others), and officially Atheists cannot join the Scouts.

They get away with it because it is a private organization that is disconnected from the government, that is allowed to use public land for free in many cases, including military bases.

VERY private indeed.

Umm maybe the rules are different south of the border, but I was more than welcome into the Boy Scouts being openly non-religious, their only stipulation was that I had to be as tolerant of their beliefs as they were of mine, I stayed on for seven years (3 as a scout, 4 as an assistant leader), so that's pretty telling of how my relationship with the organization fairs.

Valanthe:

The Gentleman:

Don't worry, I got you covered

On topic though, I.. just... wow... Granted I've spent too long on the internet for that to be -the- craziest thing I've heard, but that's way up there.

Not G. Ivingname:

VERY private indeed.

Umm maybe the rules are different south of the border, but I was more than welcome into the Boy Scouts being openly non-religious, their only stipulation was that I had to be as tolerant of their beliefs as they were of mine, I stayed on for seven years (3 as a scout, 4 as an assistant leader), so that's pretty telling of how my relationship with the organization fairs.

That may of just been your local troops, they don't keep track of these things on the top level. Even the "Penn & Teller Bullshit" episode ended, with some replies from the local troops saying that the secular child going joining wouldn't be a problem. (If you want to watch it here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndoP1YW72Zk )

I am sorry if I am sounding like I am insulting the Scouts, I am not. I am saddened that what was such a great organization has been used by religious groups.

Hmmm...well, the Girl Scouts do piss Republicans off because they (as a group) don't hate lesbians or transexuals.

Mind you, I suspect them all being lesbians or whatever might be some sexual fantasy someone has gotten fixated upon.

thaluikhain:
Hmmm...well, the Girl Scouts do piss Republicans off because they (as a group) don't hate lesbians or transexuals.

Mind you, I suspect them all being lesbians or whatever might be some sexual fantasy someone has gotten fixated upon.

Rich white Senators showing a fundamental misunderstanding of Women and making massively wild and non-nonsensical accusations about them?

That could never happen..

Wow...Two Retarded US stories this morning...Can't even tell if that is an improvement...

OT: The Transgender Scout Issue, I can't really make up my mind about, but info on the Internet relating to Abortion in the Girl Scouts?
No Cookies for you any time soon...

The Gentleman:

OT: I cant even be bothered with people like this anymore, I really can't.

The Gentleman:

You could try this:

OT: Whoever is in charge of the Republican party, can we PLEASE purge the extremist elements before they are the death of Us (Us=Republicans)

Something I just began to wonder though: How do republicans feel about people like that, and them saying such outrageous things? Obviously that faction leader in Indiana wasn't too happy about it, but just how does the mainstream republican regard the evangelical extremists in his party?

Their views and position and mine are kind of lightyears apart, so I have a hard time predicting how they'd react to someone saying this sort of thing.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Bob Morris is a state legislature representative. That means he has absolutely no say in national politics. He's just one out of a hundred or so folks who decide laws in Indiana. He's a nobody.

2. Indiana is a no-where state. Their motto is "The crossroads of America." In other words, the best thing that the people who like Indiana can think of to say about it is that you can drive through it to get to other, better states. So a nobody from no where said something stupid.

3. There is an ultra-conservative (bordering on conspiracy-theorist) movement to discredit Girl Scouts because while Girl Scouts is a progressive movement meant to break old-fashioned gender norms, Boy Scouts is actually a bit reactionary in its mission and tries to reinforce old-fashioned gender norms. There are going to be people who are threatened by that, and who will invent stories about GS in order to discredit it. It's all well and good to laugh at these people who are threatened by girls being taught to be smart, confident, hard-working, independent, and responsible to their communities- but this is a forum where guys routinely attack all of feminism for not explicitly championing the rights of men as a part of their mission. Some of us here really aren't all that different from these crusty old lunatics who think the Girl Scouts are training girls to be nympho-lesbians. Remember that the next time you feel inspired to write a "Why do they call it feminism and not humanism?" post.

BOOM headshot65:

OT: Whoever is in charge of the Republican party, can we PLEASE purge the extremist elements before they are the death of Us (Us=Republicans)

YOU are in charge. Get involved in the party.

Katatori-kun:
A few things to keep in mind:
1. Bob Morris is a state legislature representative. That means he has absolutely no say in national politics. He's just one out of a hundred or so folks who decide laws in Indiana. He's a nobody.
2. Indiana is a no-where state. Their motto is "The crossroads of America." In other words, the best thing that the people who like Indiana can think of to say about it is that you can drive through it to get to other, better states. So a nobody from no where said something stupid.

True, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't suck for anyone finding himself in the jurisdiction of that nowhere, if those nobodies form a majority.

I've seen in my own country that similar extremists, hiding out in similar holes in the periphery, still manage to make laws and enforce them on everyone.

And let's be honest, with the kind of backing people like Rick Santorum have been getting, ideas this crazy are a bit more than a matter of only Indiana. Unless Obama blows a guy like Santorum away with a 90% majority of the voters, or more, there's still a big problem. Plus they overlap a good part with the 'Sovereign' movement that resents all authority in any form, even to the point where even American law enforcers have them on the radar as being dangerous extremists. This means the radical evangelicals can also gain support from unexpected allies.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked