Santorum: "The dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant "

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The dangers of carbon dioxide? Let's see how well you do in a room full of it, dumbass.

I got a couple of these.

The dangers of sea water? Tell that to a fish.

The dangers of gasoline? Tell that to a car.

Ultimately, the lesson is that just because something is good for one thing doesn't mean it's harmless. This is like lesson 1 in how not to be fucking stupid.

The dangers of radiation? tell that to lead, how dangerous radiation is

The dangers of voting for Santorum? Tell that to American's Funniest Home Videos, how dangerous voting is.

The fact that this dude is any sort of political candidate in a western nation boggles the mind.

Imperator_DK:

The fact that this dude is any sort of political candidate in a western nation boggles the mind.

Well, to be fair, the US did elect Bush for two terms so it's not particularly surprising that his whipping boy is getting so much attention.

PercyBoleyn:
Well, to be fair, the US did elect Bush for two terms so it's not particularly surprising that his whipping boy is getting so much attention.

Bush Jr. was a spineless daddy's boy with no mind of his own, a mere puppet for whatever neoconservatives would have their way with him.

This guy has a mind of his own. And it's crazy.

Imperator_DK:

Bush Jr. was a spineless daddy's boy with no mind of his own, a mere puppet for whatever neoconservatives would have their way with him.

This guy has a mind of his own. And it's crazy.

Well yeah but think about it. If a mindless puppet managed to grab power for eight years, what's stopping this guy from doing the same?

i could actually see Santatorum talking to a plant . . . especially if it was burning . . .

"The Dangers of Insanity? Tell that to an Insane Person, how Dangerous Insanity is."

"The Dangers of Obesity? Tell that to an Elephant, how Dangerous Obesity is."

OT: All you can do is lol at the guy.

The dangers of fire? Tell that to water, how dangerous fire is

This is gonna end up like "then I took an arrow to the knee", I think we've got a new viral slogan here like ;)

Whilst we all hate Santorum politicaly, if this keeps we're gonna have make him Supreme Emperor of Internet Viral Slogans

Rage19:

This is gonna end up like "then I took an arrow to the knee", I think we've got a new viral slogan here like ;)

Danger of Arrows? Tell that to a knee, the Dangers of Arrows.
:D

OT: Did he even go to school at all, it's Biology 101!

Hazy992:
Make it happen people!

Diablo1099:

Rage19:

Danger of Arrows? Tell that to a knee, the Dangers of Arrows.
:D

OT: Did he even go to school at all, it's Biology 101!

Dangers of Biology? Tell that to living things, how dangerous biology is!

renegade7:

Hazy992:
Make it happen people!

ALL HAIL THE SUPREME EMPEROR OF INTERNET VIRAL SLOGANS!

Amnestic:

Tyler Perry:
Remember, kids, if you ever catch yourself thinking that the GOP might be a worthwhile entity, just remember that this man has won a few primaries.

More than a few. Gallup has Romney at 32% support and Santorum and 27%. Third is Gingrich at 17%.

its even sadder that romney and santorum are both low 40% vs obama, it just goes to show how much of america votes republican just because of scaremongering and prejudice.

a great example of republican voters, if not a little bias and exaggerated.

gotta love the "no its not because he is black, its because he is a half-breed"

Hazy992:

I give up.

I honestly don't know what's worse; the shit Santorum says or the fact anyone would even consider voting for him.

Well most people don't read these random statements and we don't read all his other statements like you know those on his website. I mean reading this actually doesn't give me a low view of him and in fact makes me think of him as a strong Conservative candidate whom I don't necessarily agree with but can at least respect him and give some room in my mind to consider voting for him. This is roughly the equivalent of when Conservatives point to video's of Obama's secretaries who say things like "Mao is my favorite philosopher" and well this website would generally ignore it because of the strong liberal slant here, whereas more Conservative websites would parade it like no tomorrow. When it comes down to judging the actual people then both groups would only consider these small albeit radical statements rather than the whole thing since these small statements take precedent in their minds.

Warforger:
This is roughly the equivalent of when Conservatives point to video's of Obama's secretaries who say things like "Mao is my favorite philosopher" and well this website would generally ignore it because of the strong liberal slant here, whereas more Conservative websites would parade it like no tomorrow.

Perhaps you don't see the difference between judging a man by a comment one of his secretaries makes and judging a man by a comment he makes. But there is a difference, and it has nothing to do with partisanship or which political party is involved.

Katatori-kun:

Warforger:
This is roughly the equivalent of when Conservatives point to video's of Obama's secretaries who say things like "Mao is my favorite philosopher" and well this website would generally ignore it because of the strong liberal slant here, whereas more Conservative websites would parade it like no tomorrow.

Perhaps you don't see the difference between judging a man by a comment one of his secretaries makes and judging a man by a comment he makes. But there is a difference, and it has nothing to do with partisanship or which political party is involved.

What? When you appoint a goddamn secretary you should have a good grasp on who they are and what they believe, if they're going around saying "Mao is my favorite philosopher" that is not going to reflect very well on Obama in that respect, especially since that statement is not out of context. But we know from not just Obama's actions but his beliefs that he is not a Communist, but a Conservative would often judge Obama from the statement of the secretary just like we're judging Santorum for this statement.

My point was that you're judging an entire politician by one radical statement he makes and not by any other, which if you actually go read are not that bad, so while some are trying to say the whole sea of comments are all stupid like this one my point was that there are alot of other viewpoints he has this site doesn't pick up on because they're not that crazy or interesting.

Yeah I am generally a libertarian but holy crap I would rather have ANYONE in office above Santorum, he makes Obama look awesome, and even Perry looks good compared to him. This is why I am libertarian the GOP looks great until people like this open their stupid mouths and I lose all regard for humanity for producing people this stupid. Screw anti-science, creationism, and "family-values".

Warforger:

My point was that you're judging an entire politician by one radical statement he makes.

I want this as the soundtrack for the following list.

Stupid Shit Santorum Has Said

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. [...] In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.[...] [Gay marriage] threatens my marriage. It threatens all marriages. It threatens the traditional values of this country."

"One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be."

"Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?"

"President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob ... Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image." (Addendum: Santorum has a Bachelor of Arts degree, a one-year Masters degree and a JD in law).

"I think the Democrats are actually worried [Obama] may go to Indonesia and bow to more Muslims."

"Satan has his sights on the United States of America!"

"I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created - in the sense of rape - but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you." (Got a rape baby? Gift from God!)

"I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money; I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money." This one was then followed up with the qualification: "I looked at that, and I didn't say that. If you look at it, what I started to say is a word and then sort of changed and it sort of -- blah -- came out. And people said I said 'black.' I didn't."

"I don't want to go to a trade war, I want to beat China. I want to go to war with China and make America the most attractive place in the world to do business."

"The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical."

"There are no Palestinians. All the people who live on the West Bank are Israelis. There are no Palestinians."

"I guess it is and have voted for contraception, although I don't think it works. I think it's harmful to women. I think it's harmful to our society to have a society that says that sex outside of marriage is something that should be encouraged or tolerated ..., particularly among the young and it has I think we've seen very, very harmful long-term consequences to the society. Birth control to me enables that and I don't think it's a healthy thing for our country."

"If I'm a brother and a sister and I want to get married, or if I'm three man and two women and I want to get married, if it's all about equality, and people should be treated the same, why not allow that to happen? Why not allow any combination of people or situation -- if it's all about equality then let's just allow any number, any way, get married if that's what it's about. And you say, 'well that's different.' No, it's not different." - On Gay Marriage.

"There are many on the left and in the scientific community, so to speak, who are afraid of that discussion because oh my goodness you might mention the word, God-forbid, "God" in the classroom, or "Creator," or that there may be some things that are inexplainable by nature where there may be, where it's better explained by a Creator, of course we can't have that discussion. It's very interesting that you have a situation that science will only allow things in the classroom that are consistent with a non-Creator idea of how we got here, as if somehow or another that's scientific. Well maybe the science points to the fact that maybe science doesn't explain all these things. And if it does point to that, why don't you pursue that? But you can't because it's not science, but if science is pointing you there how can you say it's not science? It's worth the debate." (TEACH THE CONTROVERSY)

"[Pre-natal testing leads to] more abortions and therefore less care that has to be done, because we cull the ranks of the disabled in our society. That too is part of Obamacare, another hidden message as to what President Obama thinks of those who are less able than the elites who want to govern our country."

"The reason Social Security is in big trouble is we don't have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America are not in America today because of abortion."

"Does anybody know when the high-water mark of Islam was? September the 11th, 1683,"

"I believe that any doctor that performs an abortion, I would advocate that any doctor that performs an abortion, should be criminally charged for doing so."

"In this case, what we're talking about, basically, is priests who were having sexual relations with post-pubescent men. We're not talking about priests with 3-year-olds, or 5-year-olds. We're talking about a basic homosexual relationship. Which, again, according to the world view sense is a a perfectly fine relationship as long as it's consensual between people. If you view the world that way, and you say that's fine, you would assume that you would see more of it." - On the child-rape by Catholic Priests/Bishops.

Those were from a quick google search. Pretty sure I didn't include any of the major ones already mentioned on the Escapist forum. "One radical statement"? I don't bloody think so mate.

Serge A. Storms:
I can picture Santorum actually talking to a plant Marky Mark-style.

How long until he realises it's plastic?

Warforger:

Katatori-kun:

Warforger:

What? When you appoint a goddamn secretary you should have a good grasp on who they are and what they believe, if they're going around saying "Mao is my favorite philosopher" that is not going to reflect very well on Obama in that respect, especially since that statement is not out of context.

I don't know about you, but when I hire people, I do it based on their ability to do a job to my satisfaction. Not on their abstract philosophies. I used to be a part of a team that I disagreed with the other team members on just about every belief they had. It didn't matter though, because we were professionals, and so we did our jobs and we did them damn well. I expect a President to exercise no less professionalism. Attacking a President for the views of his secretary is just grasping for a stick to beat the President with.

So this is how memes are created. It's an amusing process.

The dangers of drowning, tell that to a rock, how dangerous drowning is.

Yay im helping =D

I'm surprised no one made this joke yet.

If the guy were not such an idiot, he could come up with that slogan to promote green roofs. ( not exactly great, but better than his use for it) Yes, part of the solution is to plant many more oxygen producing air filtering plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air-filtering_plants
Plants are very effective at cleaning many toxins from the air, and if everyone planted and cared for them, it would actually make a big impact on the problem.

As for talking to plants, some studies suggest certain types of plants respond to sound. It is well known that some plants respond to touch, research now indicates some may respond to sound as well.

http://www.salon.com/2003/03/11/dancing_plant/

See, it could be all like.. Dangers of Carbon dioxide? TELL THAT TO A PLANT! Using plants as our weapon against toxins in the air, because they are actually our biggest defense against toxins. but NOOO.. he didn't do that.

It makes sense he'd say that. He has the IQ of a houseplant.

I know republicans aren't big into science, but something over elementary school level might be nice, just so you won't be corrected by six year olds. On the other hand, now I want to see him sit down to a bowl of fertilizer.

Amnestic:

Holy shit, reading some of those things he's said suddenly makes this video seem less funny:

What I first viewed as a spoof now seems like an aspiration (because at least the Bad Lip Reading nonsense is harmless).

Katatori-kun:

I don't know about you, but when I hire people, I do it based on their ability to do a job to my satisfaction. Not on their abstract philosophies. I used to be a part of a team that I disagreed with the other team members on just about every belief they had. It didn't matter though, because we were professionals, and so we did our jobs and we did them damn well. I expect a President to exercise no less professionalism. Attacking a President for the views of his secretary is just grasping for a stick to beat the President with.

Yah you know political philosophies kind of matter when it comes to a political job like a secretary. On top of that sure if the only people who are watching you like in your job are only caring about the job the group does, when people are watching the government they're going to be looking for things like well political beliefs. But what you just said as your selection process sort of proves my point, Rick Santorum as President would only pass laws about the economy and foreign policy at this point, things like the Federal Budget or Afghanistan, not just because he doesn't have the power to pass a Federal law about say Abortion or Gay Marriage but because the economy and the foreign policy is all that matters at this point.

Amnestic:

Stupid Shit Santorum Has Said

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. [...] In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.[...] [Gay marriage] threatens my marriage. It threatens all marriages. It threatens the traditional values of this country."

"One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be."

"Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?"

Ok? How are any of those necessarily stupid? It's paranoid and an attempt to appeal to the Social Conservatives, but hey when you're going for the Social Conservative vote it's not out of the ordinary. If he doesn't actually believe this crap then he's smart not stupid.

Amnestic:

"President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob ... Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image." (Addendum: Santorum has a Bachelor of Arts degree, a one-year Masters degree and a JD in law).

Hmmm context?

Amnestic:

"Satan has his sights on the United States of America!"

"I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created - in the sense of rape - but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you." (Got a rape baby? Gift from God!)

Again you're punishing a Social Conservative for having Social Conservative views.....Sure they're extreme but that's not out of the ordinary....

Amnestic:

"I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money; I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money." This one was then followed up with the qualification: "I looked at that, and I didn't say that. If you look at it, what I started to say is a word and then sort of changed and it sort of -- blah -- came out. And people said I said 'black.' I didn't."

Yah this one sounds insanely out of context.

Amnestic:

"I don't want to go to a trade war, I want to beat China. I want to go to war with China and make America the most attractive place in the world to do business."

Appeal to Nationalism?

Amnestic:

"There are no Palestinians. All the people who live on the West Bank are Israelis. There are no Palestinians."

Errr is he calling Palestinians not people? Is he saying that Palestinians and Israeli's should just make up? It's hard to tell what he's saying when you put it without context.

Amnestic:

"I guess it is and have voted for contraception, although I don't think it works. I think it's harmful to women. I think it's harmful to our society to have a society that says that sex outside of marriage is something that should be encouraged or tolerated ..., particularly among the young and it has I think we've seen very, very harmful long-term consequences to the society. Birth control to me enables that and I don't think it's a healthy thing for our country."

Oh great so you're attacking a Social Conservative again for having Social Conservative views.

Amnestic:

"Does anybody know when the high-water mark of Islam was? September the 11th, 1683,"

Yah battle of Vienna, furthest extent of the Ottoman Empire into Europe, I'd guess the Caliphates were higher than that but I don't see why this is entirely stupid, probably offensive for saying military conquest is the high watermark for a religion.

Amnestic:

Those were from a quick google search. Pretty sure I didn't include any of the major ones already mentioned on the Escapist forum. "One radical statement"? I don't bloody think so mate.

My point was that nobody goes on his campaign website and looks at his campaign platform beyond "ban contraception", nobody bother's watching his debates as he talks about well normal Conservative values and I doubt any of these statements have been the centerpoints of his campaign.

I do admit some of these are just outright stupid, but most of these you're saying he's stupid because he's a Social Conservative, and that is like them calling Obama stupid for wanting universal healthcare.

This thread inspired me to make this yesterday, but I forgot to post it until today. So here you go.

Warforger:
Yah you know political philosophies kind of matter when it comes to a political job like a secretary.

Let's not be completely absurd, shall we? A secretary's political philosophy is pretty irrelevant because they have to do their job to the President's satisfaction. You really need to let this one go, you're starting to look desperate.

when people are watching the government they're going to be looking for things like well political beliefs.

Especially when they're desperate to throw as much shit at the President and they're hoping like hell that something will stick.

But what you just said as your selection process sort of proves my point, Rick Santorum as President would only pass laws about the economy and foreign policy at this point, things like the Federal Budget or Afghanistan, not just because he doesn't have the power to pass a Federal law about say Abortion or Gay Marriage but because the economy and the foreign policy is all that matters at this point.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy that whopper without some pretty significant evidence.

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:
Oh Lord, I pray that "The dangers of [...]? Tell that to a [...], how dangerous [...] is." becomes an internet meme. Your ever faithful and heathen servant.

Captcha: act of god. ... yep, that's pretty much what I'm asking for.

The dangers of being under 5 miles of water? Tell that to an angler fish, how dangerous being under 5 miles of water is :)

Why? Just fucking why? It's things like this that make me depressed.

Katatori-kun:

Warforger:
Yah you know political philosophies kind of matter when it comes to a political job like a secretary.

Let's not be completely absurd, shall we? A secretary's political philosophy is pretty irrelevant because they have to do their job to the President's satisfaction. You really need to let this one go, you're starting to look desperate.

What? I'm sure people would rather care ALOT about the people who do work for the President and I'm sure alot more people would care ALOT if someone the President personally appoints has Maoist beliefs.

Katatori-kun:

when people are watching the government they're going to be looking for things like well political beliefs.

Especially when they're desperate to throw as much shit at the President and they're hoping like hell that something will stick.

Desperate? Desperate would be insulting the way he bows (I know that has happened) or takes care of his pets, this is not on that level this is something you could easily bring up in a campaign and win. I mean that is why Truman didn't even attempt to run for re-election in 1952 because of the vast amount of rumors of Communist infiltration in his administration after Alger Hiss (who was found out to have passed on information from the Manhatten project to the Soviets) got caught.

Katatori-kun:

Yeah, I'm not going to buy that whopper without some pretty significant evidence.

Are you American? Because here in America things that are usually morale issues like abortion are left to the states, while the Courts can determine if states can pass those types of laws the executive can't pass a law without getting shot down by everybody because the Constitution does not provide much ground for say legalized Abortion in the hands of the Federal government. Gay Marriage does on the other hand as per the 15th amendment but the debate would then be if Gay is a choice or not. If you can see anything here it's that the Supreme Court is the one who determines the fate of these issues; not the President.

Warforger:

Katatori-kun:

Warforger:

What? I'm sure people would rather care ALOT about the people who do work for the President

Yes. They're called republicans, and they're desperate for anything they can find to slime the President with, no matter how irrelevant it may be.

I'm sure alot more people would care ALOT if someone the President personally appoints has Maoist beliefs.

Aaaaand we're back to the beginning of the conversation again, when you pretended that a secretary's beliefs have more relevant influence on the job they do than their boss's instructions... if you're just going to run in circles here you're welcome to do it on your lonesome.

Katatori-kun:

Are you American?

Yes.

Because here in America things that are usually morale issues like abortion are left to the states,

No, we don't. First of all, abortion is not a "morale" issue. Look up the word. Second of all, abortion is not up to the states. It's the exact opposite of up to the states. That's why it's a big issue.

while the Courts can determine if states can pass those types of laws the executive can't pass a law without getting shot down by everybody because the Constitution does not provide much ground for say legalized Abortion in the hands of the Federal government.

I don't know what you're smoking. The President can't pass laws period. He wouldn't get shot down, he has no legislative powers to begin with. Are you sure you're American?

If you can see anything here it's that the Supreme Court is the one who determines the fate of these issues; not the President.

And what on earth does any of this have to do with your absurd claim that a comment made by a secretary is equivalently reflective of the President as a comment by the man himself?

Warforger:
I do admit some of these are just outright stupid, but most of these you're saying he's stupid because he's a Social Conservative, and that is like them calling Obama stupid for wanting universal healthcare.

He espouses ideas that we shouldn't even be debating in the 21st century. He compared gay marriage to man-on-dog. He wants to ban abortion when a woman's life is in danger, but his wife got an abortion when her life was in danger. He wants to make it harder to sue doctors for medical malpractice, but he sued his wife's chiropractor for medical malpractice. At this point, I can call him whatever the fuck I want.

Follow-up question: If he's out of context, what context can I put some of this shit in that would make it look good?

The dangers of stupidity, tell that to Ol' Frothy how dangerous stupidity can be.

PercyBoleyn:

Imperator_DK:

To be fair, at least Bush junior was sane and quite clever, but this weirdo seems more at home in Iran then the USA.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked