Your worst religious nightmares?

So, I just had what will probably go down in history as the worst dream of my life. Well, not so much the dream itself, I hardly even remember the middle part of it at all. It's just the end that scares the living daylights out of me, because for se reason or another the dream ends with somebody whispering directly into my ear "Hail Satan". And it was about 10 times more realistic than anything else in my dream too, as though someone was actually whispering it into my ear. The weird part is that I don't even believe in religion, although I was brought up on it, so perhaps there's something deep in my psyche that will never be mended... All I know is that it's nearly 4 in the morning, I can't sleep, every sound I hear I assume to be a demon crawling into my room to take me to hell, and I got ridiculously terrified when it turned to be 3:33 on the clock (Isn't that, like, half of 666?)

So, needless to say, I'm not doing any other sleeping tonight. But enough about me; How about you all and your worst religious nightmares?

Honestly, I cannot remember ever having had any religious nightmares. When I have nightmares, they usually have to do with not having or losing control, like being passenger in a car that spirals out of control and goes over a cliff or something with airplanes. I'm an Atheist, too, but I have never been religious in the first place. I suppose your hypothesis about where your dream came from makes sense.

If you're not going back to bed, get some coffee, watch the news, listen to music, go jogging (if the sun is already up) or whatever.

On the 155 day of their mission, a mysterious orange mist appeared around the Space Station, and the following statements were made by Oleg Atkov, Vladimir Solevev and Leonid Kizim:

"What we saw were seven giant figures in the form of humans, but with wings and mist-like halos as in the classic depiction of angels."

They said the Angels followed them for about 10 minutes. They had peaceful expressions on their faces and even smiled at them! They were described as being gigantic (80 feet tall) and having the wing span of a 747. The Angels simply disappeared, but this was not the end of this encounter. Almost 2 weeks had (12 days) past when other Cosmonauts arrived for the next phase of medical experiments.
http://thefederationoflight.ning.com/profiles/blogs/seven-angel-appear-to-the-salyut-7-space-station-cosmonauts

I just watched this yesterday...

And I nearly watched this but I decided that it wouldn't help me with sleeping...

Holy shit! You had a spooky hell dream!

I've never had religious nightmares, but I -have- had religious hallucinations on a couple occasions. Immediately after waking up or when I'm very tired and in a dark room, I'll sometimes see and hear shit moving in the darkness. One time I swear I woke up with Jesus standing over me, staring down at me. Scared the piss out of me.

I had some lulus when I was working my way out of the cult I was in. Let's just say my cognitive dissonance was playing out in a really cracktastic way in my sleep.

Since then, there hasn't been anything.

rutcommapat:
and I got ridiculously terrified when it turned to be 3:33 on the clock (Isn't that, like, half of 666?)

Wasn't it originally 616 and they changed it cause 666 sounded cooler?

I don't know that I've ever had a religious dream. I did have one about a miscarried puppy fetus crawling around and leaving a trail of blood once.

Oh, I take it back. When I had my hypnogagia phase I used to have dreams all the time that could be construed as religious in content, though I rarely took them as such. But often I would be in the same room I was sleeping in, but paralyzed, aware of a malignant presence, and in the climax the room would burst into flames. The only one I remember explicitly associating with religion, the narrative was that Satan possessed my vaccuum cleaner and when it began attacking me I literally laughed myself awake and haven't had a strong hypnogagia episode since.

Anyway, I've always found the traditional Christian demonic imagery to be very banal. Maybe it's because I used to hang out with a real poser who thought employing it was a good way to scare people. Give me a Hieronymus Bosch reality-defying demon over the traditional Christian inspired goat-headed mutant any day. Maybe that's why I tend to find Warhammer 40K's Chaos faction silly as opposed to threatening.

thaluikhain:

rutcommapat:
and I got ridiculously terrified when it turned to be 3:33 on the clock (Isn't that, like, half of 666?)

Wasn't it originally 616 and they changed it cause 666 sounded cooler?

This. The number of the devil apparently is 616 not 666.
666 is something along the lines of a mistranslation.

-------------

I've never really had a religious nightmare... nope...

Comando96:
This. The number of the devil apparently is 616 not 666.
666 is something along the lines of a mistranslation.

Let's not over-state the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast#616

Wikipedia:
Although Irenaeus (2nd century AD) affirmed the number to be 666 and reported several scribal errors of the number, there is still doubt by a minority of theologians about the original reading[10] because of the figure 616 being given in one of the best[peacock term] manuscripts: C (Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus, Paris), as well as by the Latin version of Tyconius (DCXVI, ed. Souter in the Journal of Theology, SE, April 1913), and by an ancient Armenian version (ed. Conybaere, 1907). Irenaeus knew about it [the 616 reading], but did not adopt it (Haer. v.30,3).

So it is possible that 666 is a scribal error, but it is by no means certain.

I think a more interesting question than squabbling over the correct number is why does the number matter at all? There are numerous interpretations of The Book of Revelations (of which I personally find Preterism to be the most reasonable), but I know of no interpretations that say that 666 is a cursed number in general, that all things that occur 666 times are automatically associated with demonic forces. And certainly I know of no interpretation that says numbers mathematically derived from 666 are likewise cursed. The whole notion puts to mind a horde of daemonic accountants ascribing small connections to hell to any number that can be mathematically connected to 666. I teach a class in a room numbered 111. Does that mean that lesson is 1/6th cursed? For that matter, if 333 is associated with Satan for being half of 666, why isn't 2 associated with Satan for being 1/333rd of 666? Why isn't 1 cursed for being 1/666th of 666?

And for that matter, our use of a decimal system is frankly a bit arbitrary based off of the fact that we have 10 fingers. Gods and demons, if they aren't bound by physical laws, presumably would not be limited to physical forms. So we can assume the devil would have as many fingers as he wants. Which means he can use whatever numerical notation system he wants. Is 1638 also cursed? It's the hexadecimal form of the decimal 666. Doesn't look nearly as ominous, does it? Do you panic every night at 8:19? That's half of 1638.

You know what that reminds me of? Awesome music, that is what:

OT: Never really had any. Honestly, I have not really had a nightmare since I was, like, 10.

In my teens, I had a recurring nightmare that there was a dark shadowy figure over me holding me down, it didn't speak with words, but was speaking with feelings. It was a horrible feeling, it wouldn't let me speak and from what I understood, it was trying to take my spirit. When I tried to fight it, it made me rise out of bed floating, but if I breathed a certain way, I would go back down. It felt like it was trying to make me give in, but in my dream I never did. the worst part was when while still asleep, I dreamt that I was awake and went into the kitchen and the clock said 3:27am, then I went upstairs and checked on my brothers and sisters and none were in their rooms, and then my parents were gone. When I headed back for the stairs , it engulfed in flames. Then I would wake up for real, or the dream would start over again. Itw as awful because when I woke up, I never knew if I was awake or asleep. The worst part was the first time I woke up, I threw up, then walked into the kitchen and the clock said it was 3:27 am and I was too afraid to go upstairs so I sat in the living room watching tv instead. I had this dream on and off for a few years.

The really creepy thing was my neighbor told me that he had a dream about a shadowy man holding him down a few years later when we were talking about how I used to sleep walk as a child, and had night terrors. I wasn't sure if someone had told him about my dream or not or if he was just trying to scare me or something because my siblings knew about the dream because I would refuse to sleep in my room after I had it. I am not sure if he had actually had a similar dream or if he was just trying to scare me. I had repeatedly thrown up after having it, it stuck with me vividly. Never had the dream after leaving my parents home, don't want to again, it was awful.

I did have one dream where I kept waking up then getting offed in increasingly absurd ways (from tripping and falling down the stairs and falling off a balcony and drowning to being shot in the back when my back was against a wall and a large rock crashing through the roof), only to wake up again, ending with some echo saying "You can't win".

Not religious per se, but creepy as hell. I woke up in cold sweat.

Never really had a religious themed nightmare.

But if Santorum wins the presidency, "Religious Nightmare" will likely be the descriptor of society for his entire term.

I had a dream a few months ago that seemed scary while it was happening, but in retrospect was really kinda funny.

Me and a bunch of other students from my college traveled to some middle eastern country in order to investigate a stone slab that foretold the coming of the "chosen one." The only hint about the chosen one's identity was that he/ she'd be really good at picking stuff up with his/her feet. A lot of hopeful people and several religious groups showed up, including a group of shady looking nuns who'd made cake for everyone and served it inside of a nearby warehouse. This was actually a trap; once everyone was inside the warehouse would have been locked and pushed into a river so that the chosen one wouldn't be named (they feared it would actually be the anti-christ.) I escaped with some other people, and we decided to find the truth behind everything, all the while the nuns pursued us and picked us off one by one. We followed a series of clues that led us to a lost underground city, only to discover that the whole "chosen one" thing was an elaborate prank set up by an extinct civilization of dodo birds to waste the time of humans as revenge for dooming their species.

There was also something about a woman eating an aborted fetus and giving birth to a half digested baby, but thankfully I can't really remember much about that.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I thought I'd share.

S0meRand0mGuy:

There was also something about a woman eating an aborted fetus and giving birth to a half digested baby, but thankfully I can't really remember much about that.

So.. A dream about Silent hill 3? :D

God, I play some of the weirdest, most perverse games...

I never had nightmares of any kind. Least not religious ones. I trust so heavily on logic, perhaps it makes me less receptive to that stuff. I really do not know.

A few days ago I dreamed I was lying immobile on my bed, and Meat Loaf was continuously playing from an unspecified point.

It was really horrible.

Never really had any nightmares with religious undertones... Usually, my nightmares are a completely ordinary situation that simply feels terrifying. Like a regular day at work or a bustrip, with a feeling that something is horribly wrong and something is about to happen.

The closest thing to a spiritual dream I had is more like a hallucination, really. You know, when you're absolutly knackered, way, way too tired, go to bed and start hearing and seeing things. I saw a silvergrey metro-train come rushing through the room, which was rather frightening until I realized it wasn't there. Now, there's an urban myth in Stockholm (and no doubt elsewhere) of a special ghost-train, which is silverplated and only appear at night. If anyone living board the train if it does stop at the station supposedly disembark several weeks or so afterwards, if they do at all, like a communal travel variant of the flying dutchman.

It's also a bit like the Grim Reaper's coach, since it supposedly pick up the ghosts of the dead and drop them off at their destination. An abandoned metro-station somewhere or hell, depending on how dramatic the story is.
Now, it's just an urban legend, but I guess its what inspired that particular hallucination. And really, that was quite a well-done fright!

Katatori-kun:
Anyway, I've always found the traditional Christian demonic imagery to be very banal. Maybe it's because I used to hang out with a real poser who thought employing it was a good way to scare people. Give me a Hieronymus Bosch reality-defying demon over the traditional Christian inspired goat-headed mutant any day. Maybe that's why I tend to find Warhammer 40K's Chaos faction silly as opposed to threatening.

I know what you mean, it's very hard to come up with something genuinely disturbing. Some bloke with more horns than usual doesn't work.

Mind you, way back when when they had real authors working for them, Chaos could be appropriately horrific. I have had chaos realted nightmates in the past.

Later on, though, I instead dreamt of being harassed by authors who didn't like me commenting on the declining quality of GW's books.

Rastelin:
I never had nightmares of any kind. Least not religious ones. I trust so heavily on logic, perhaps it makes me less receptive to that stuff. I really do not know.

Yeah, I'm really skeptical on this, especially the bullshit about you trusting so heavily in logic.

Nightmares have nothing to do with logic. Dreaming in general is the brain's way of processing information, and some studies have reported it is a vital component of the brain's system of dealing with long-term information. Nightmares are nothing more than dreams that a person subjectively perceives in a negative light (leaving aside nightmares induced by hypnogagia, which are pretty entirely a biological response to a mis-match between a person's mental awareness and physical sleep state). In fact, I even remember reading research that says nightmares can be a brain's way of dealing with traumatic experiences.

Given that almost half of the average person's dreams aren't consciously remembered anyway, I am extremely skeptical. The only way I could accept that someone has never had a nightmare is if they are diagnosed a complete sociopath who has never had a negative feeling in their life because they don't have feelings at all.

Katatori-kun:
snip

So you are an expert on dreams to? Amazing what you know. You should be president.

I think I had ONE nightmare that had religion in it...

In my dream, I was listening to the TV, where this report was going on about how some major part of this one faith was being overturned to basically become more passive. And I was like "Great! That's neat! That's exactly what they needed, their followers are too damn hardcore.".

Then this band of loonies break into the house, demanding to know what side of the debate we were on. My family basically said "We're kinda neutral on this, actually.", and then the leader of these loonies went "If you're not with us, you're enabling these monster heretics!!!!"

And then they tried to hang my whole family (including my younger brother who was still a kid at the time) and failed miserably at it, since none of us died.

*FYI, I'm agnostic, and my family is Christian, but passively so. My parents aren't hardcore in the slightest. They pretty must just go to church 4 times a year and believe in treating everyone with kindness and equality.*

Rastelin:

Katatori-kun:
snip

So you are an expert on dreams too? Amazing what you know.

It's called an education. It's not really all that amazing.

You should be president.

Nah, I could never deal with all the necessary hair product to be a white President. I'd prefer to just skip it and go straight to god-emperor. If only I could find a pet store that sells sand trout.

I had a nightmare that the catholic church would get away with raping and beating children for years in institutions deemed safe.

...Oh wait they are getting away with it.

i basically don't have dreams with religious overtones.

only nightmare i can actually remember that wasn't basically related to life events was worms crawling through my feet.

the only other weird thing i have in my dreams is often there's a recurring dreamscape that's like one of those decaying abandoned factories or industrial areas from the end of an 80s action movie

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked