Atheists can be real jerks sometimes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

WoW is all that needs to be said.

Fox242:

keinechance:

Fox242:

...what? Where in the fuck did I ever say anything like that? Please point out those exact words that I wrote in this forum for me. Please do so!

So you do know that your faith can affect me?

Then I apologize, I assumed that you were saying that it doesn't.

You're just fuckin' trollin' me right now.

No, I am asking if you believe that your "faith" has no bearing on those around you, whatever it may be.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

Remove the devil, eh? Then what? May as well have removed Hitler, right? He was evil, right? Let's see, who else... Kony. Get rid of him. He sinned; he was wicked. Hmmm... You know what, why don't we just get rid of EVERYONE? That way, because EVERYONE has done something wrong, there would be no problem! Right? Right! Way to go!

*Facepalm*

Well if he is a god then he shoud be able to do it.

Seriously though, the devil is the source of all evil and god did nothing. That doesn't sound like a god at all.

Why would a being of unlimited power and knowledge let evil exist at all?

You just said you read the Bible... Satan is NOT the source of all evil. Evil was spawned of a poor CHOICE. People have always had CHOICE, and will always make bad decisions at many points in their lives.

No. God let the devil, his enemy, into the garden and let him currupt humans. If he has infinite power why did he let the devil exist, why did he let anything negative exist?

He didn't give them a choice.

He said

have ignorance and I'll be nice

or

Have knowledge and I will fuck you over royally.

What sense does that make. Even if they learned "good and evil" from a fruit (which is horseshit, a fruit cannot gve knowledge) what difference would that make.

They didn't do anything evil, it was god who introduced evil into the world then and kicked them out.

He is the source of all pain in the world.

God sound like an abusive husband. "oh he may do bad things but he loves us, he really does! I know because he told me so!"

ResonanceSD:

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Seriously though, the devil is the source of all evil and god did nothing. That doesn't sound like a god at all.

You just said you read the Bible... Satan is NOT the source of all evil. Evil was spawned of a poor CHOICE. People have always had CHOICE, and will always make bad decisions at many points in their lives.

How can they make choices with an omnipotent, omniscient creator? Surely if those are facets of god, free will is abolished, given that HE ALWAYS KNOWS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

But you DON'T know what's going to happen, do you? And that's key. What choice will you make? It will forever define you, as is the way of tests. Choices, choices, choices...

Spanishax:
I'm a Christian and this was AWESOME! XD The things you described are why I'm usually pretty quiet about being a Christian (unless I'm speaking out about something that needs clarity), on the internet.

I've noticed a startling similarity between Bronies and Anti-Bronies. Anti-Bronies hate because they don't understand, whereas (most) Bronies will injure the Anti-Bronies the only way they know how - through love and tolerance; the creed of our kind. Usually Bronies won't actually resort to explaining WHY they like "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", as they KNOW the opposition will merely tune them out and ridicule them. There wouldn't be so much tension between any opposing groups if they just learned to communicate CIVILLY!

That's so offensive because you don't understand my beliefs you say I am ignorant? Sorry but that is so offensive. And if you can't see why I would say that calling my beliefs ignorance is offensive than I want nothing more to do with this conversation. Weakly try and defend this if you want but that's all a saw you say.

After reading a couple pages of this thread, I see that it has turned into a flame war.
*makes popcorn*

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

We fucked everything up, not God. Then he tried to save us, but some people have rejected his help, saying, "I know where I'm going, dude! I can make it on my own!" Then they took one step to the left and fell into a chasm.

How old do you believe the Earth is? (And this is leading into something but I have to know first.) Oh, and do you accept that evolution is a fact?

Approximately six thousand years. And yes, evolution is a fact. Micro evolution is real... Macro evolution, on the other hand...

Brilliant, I don't even have to bother with my original point. How the hell do you believe the Earth is 6000 years old?

gideonkain:

"There are no Atheists in Fox Holes" is one of the great truisms of our time.

"There are no preachers in foxholes."

Thats because they are not combat personal.

Kushan101:

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

How old do you believe the Earth is? (And this is leading into something but I have to know first.) Oh, and do you accept that evolution is a fact?

Approximately six thousand years. And yes, evolution is a fact. Micro evolution is real... Macro evolution, on the other hand...

No, no no no no, please tell me you don't genuinely believe its 6000 years old. Please!

I think it is time to abandon the thread.

We should nuke from orbit, it's the only was to be sure.

Spanishax:

ResonanceSD:

Spanishax:

How can they make choices with an omnipotent, omniscient creator? Surely if those are facets of god, free will is abolished, given that HE ALWAYS KNOWS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

But you DON'T know what's going to happen, do you? And that's key. What choice will you make? It will forever define you, as is the way of tests. Choices, choices, choices...

But he aparantly does and he lets it happen, that is evil and wrong.

If you knew someone was going to die and you could easily save them. Would you let them die?

Anyone who is zealous about a belief, or lack of one, is a jerk, I'm an atheist but I only get in peoples faces about it if they start on me, I don't care about other peoples beliefs normally anyway

Spanishax:

ResonanceSD:

Spanishax:

Ok, what you just said 1) makes no sense 2) ignores what I said and 3) isn't even a response.

I said that our fate is predetermined, if you believe the shtick about god's "power". As such, how can anything we do actually matter to our fate?

You're talking about people who would act the same if they were religious. Assholes are assholes regardless of what origin of the cosmos they might believe in. Historically the assholes have been religious and have killed in the name of. You're just talking about trolls on the internet, playing WoW at that. Its not serious at all and the athiest you are talking about wouldn't actually oppress the religious like the religious have oppressed non=believers for centuries.

ResonanceSD:

Spanishax:

ResonanceSD:

Ok, what you just said 1) makes no sense 2) ignores what I said and 3) isn't even a response.

I said that our fate is predetermined, if you believe the shtick about god's "power". As such, how can anything we do actually matter to our fate?

So ALL possible timelines are considered "predetermined" fate? News to me...

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

No. God let the devil, his enemy, into the garden and let him currupt humans. If he has infinite power why did he let the devil exist, why did he let anything negative exist?

He didn't give them a choice.

He said

have ignorance and I'll be nice

or

Have knowledge and I will fuck you over royally.

What sense does that make. Even if they learned "good and evil" from a fruit (which is horseshit, a fruit cannot gve knowledge) what difference would that make.

They didn't do anything evil, it was god who introduced evil into the world then and kicked them out.

He is the source of all pain in the world.

God sound like an abusive husband. "oh he may do bad things but he loves us, he really does! I know because he told me so!"

Right... You were a tricky one... For a few minutes I thought you were an ACTUAL person with an ability to give a rational argument. Sorry, troll, game over - you've been detected!

Calling me a troll when you cannot give a rational arguement further weakens your position. What was that about love and tolerance?

You say the earth is 6000 years old, carbon dating strongly disagrees with that. What is your response?

Zen Toombs:

Headsprouter:
I am an Agnostic who points flaws in both of them, but they're still my friends. For example, me and the Atheist friend agree that Agnosticism is another type of atheism, but this group is much less confrontational. He dislikes agnostics, beleiving they're just cowardly Atheists who go under a better name to avoid arguments.

Agnostics aren't just less confrontational Atheists, it's something else entirely. Just as one can be Atheist (not believing in divinity & so forth) or Theist (believing in a divinity), one can be Agnostic (not believing that the divine can be proven) or Gnostic[1] (believing that the divine can be proven, even if we can't at this point).

Once can be a Gnostic Atheist (that one can prove the existence of the divine, and that the divine doesn't exist) or an Agnostic Theist (that once cannot prove the existence of the divine, but believes it anyway) or an Agnostic Atheist (that once cannot prove the existence of the divine either way but disbelieves in it) or a Gnostic Theist (that once can prove the existence of the divine, and believes that the divine exists).

I rejected all of those answers, and instead chose Agnostic Pandeism.

just saying I am the friend headsprouter is talking about and I do know people can be agnostic, its just from talking to headsprouter and knowing him I felt that he was just calling himself agnostic to avoid confrontation as I know he normally avoids confrontation unless pushed to far. So everything he said that I said about agnostics was me saying that about him specifically

[1] I forget the term, but I'll use this as a placeholder

Spanishax:

Right... You were a tricky one... For a few minutes I thought you were an ACTUAL person with an ability to give a rational argument. Sorry, troll, game over - you've been detected!

I see you have found another argument that you think doesn't warrent a response.

keinechance:

Fox242:

keinechance:

So you do know that your faith can affect me?

Then I apologize, I assumed that you were saying that it doesn't.

No, I am asking if you believe that your "faith" has no bearing on those around you, whatever it may be.

Does it, yes. It is part of the formula that governs my life. It invariably affects how people would react to me because every action has a reaction. It has a bearing. Everyone's beliefs have a bearing, yours included. Everything that anybody does has a bearing on someone. I had never stated one way or the other before anywhere on this thread and I have no earthly idea about what made you pursue this question with me.

Spanishax:

....?

How did we get to this?

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Brilliant, I don't even have to bother with my original point. How the hell do you believe the Earth is 6000 years old?

By not simply accepting what my tenth grade science teacher said as the gospel, that's how. I researched evolution and the Big Bang for DAYS, with an open mind, in an effort to perceive all sides. And because I researched so much (from non-biased sources, like scientific journals, Wikipedia, etc.), I realized how little evidence for those two theories there actually was.

keinechance:

Spanishax:

....?

I would add more content fast to avoid a warning.

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

By not simply accepting what my tenth grade science teacher said as the gospel, that's how. I researched evolution and the Big Bang for DAYS, with an open mind, in an effort to perceive all sides. And because I researched so much (from non-biased sources, like scientific journals, Wikipedia, etc.), I realized how little evidence for those two theories there actually was.

I really do not think days is enough to reasearch theories that have been developed for many years.

Anyway, what about processes where there is plenty of evidence.

Again, you say the earth is 6000 years old but carbon dating refutes that. What do you say to that?

EDIT But you took what churches said as gospel and you think wikipedia is unbiased? Wow

Ya know, this thread has become all sorts of proving the OP's point.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was one of his experiments too, hmm....

EDIT: You have massive balls doing that on WoW OP, you have my respect, and, sadly, this is the internet and such things will happen.

Spanishax:

ResonanceSD:

Spanishax:

what all timelines? According to you people, there's only one timeline :) There was a Creator and everything is preordained. Don't you read your own literature?

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

The age of the Earth doesn't have anything to do with the Big Bang Theory. We can date the age of the Earth by various methods using rocks.

Anyway, how long do you believe humans have been on Earth?

keinechance:
I think, that if someone belives something to be true, without any evidence to support that claim, then I say they are irrational.

I agree, but I don't think that this irrationality requires unprovoked argument, and I don't think that arguments against said irrationality should be based on incorrect assumptions or prejudice. For example, some atheists, like the ones the OP mentioned, seem to assume that all Christians hate abortion or want to abolish evolution education or are closed-minded. And maybe there is some correlation there, maybe there isn't, but making these assumptions is, as you might or might not say, irrational.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

We have to go deeper? What? We've already gone deeper? Are we a thread within a thread yet?

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

We fucked everything up, not God. Then he tried to save us, but some people have rejected his help, saying, "I know where I'm going, dude! I can make it on my own!" Then they took one step to the left and fell into a chasm.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, but if you are not, you need to see this.

It is as simple as that. I cannot believe how this goes beyond some people's understanding.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

The only reason this argument started was because Spanishax said atheists are just ignorant, do not know why they argue with theists and she simply tolerates us as a result.

That's just insulting and shows a lack of understanding of atheism.

People can be jerks. Full Stop. Religion or a lack of just factors in a portion of that jerkyness.

...Not much else to say. Jerks gonna be Jerks.

Sorry someone ruined your perspective of something but don't let it blind you to the shittyness and good in everything. Two sides to everything.

Even chocolate cake (Ass expansion ho!)

ResonanceSD:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

Remove the devil, eh? Then what? May as well have removed Hitler, right? He was evil, right? Let's see, who else... Kony. Get rid of him. He sinned; he was wicked. Hmmm... You know what, why don't we just get rid of EVERYONE? That way, because EVERYONE has done something wrong, there would be no problem! Right? Right! Way to go!

*Facepalm*

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" - Epicurus, as quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief

Dem Ancient Greeks.

Dey smart.

Damn right they are smart.

Here are 2 other quote you will like.

Seneca the Younger - "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

Napoleon - "Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet"

I heard of this amazing quote

"Religion is like having a penis.
It's okay to have it.
It's okay to be proud of it.
But don't go waving it about in public and don't shove it down our children's throats"

This might be a bit harsh. I like to couple it with this other neat quote

"I don't mind God. It's his fan club I can't stand"

I'm what's called a Theist. I like to believe that there's some sort of entity/entities out there, governing the universe in a manner of sorts, big or small. Karma is the best principle I like about now. Do good stuff, good stuff happens, do bad stuff, bad stuff happens. (I just can't wrap my head around the suffering and misery going about in the world without someone/something being a knobend). Although, I do prefer to keep religion at arm's length, joke about it and ocassionally mock it if I'm being in a slightly cynic mood, so referring to my first quote, put some clothes on. I don't mind being able to see whether you have an erection or not, but I don't want to see the actual thing.

Fox242:

keinechance:

Fox242:

Does it, yes. It is part of the formula that governs my life. It invariably affects how people would react to me because every action has a reaction. It has a bearing. Everyone's beliefs have a bearing, yours included. Everything that anybody does has a bearing on someone. I had never stated one way or the other before anywhere on this thread and I have no earthly idea about what made you pursue this question with me.

Post 178 in this thread:

"I don't ever feel like I have to explain my belief in a higher power to anyone."

And so I was was wondering, if that also means that you don't have to explain ANYTHING that you do because of your belief in a higher power.

If that wasn't what you meant, than I apologize.

Jeez, the replies are really piling on - I'm out of here. As always, I regret ever posting anything that is a different belief to the majority of the forums. Do what will; me posting something on the internet is not going to do shit.

ResonanceSD:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

We have to go deeper? What? We've already gone deeper? Are we a thread within a thread yet?

Of course, it's all a plot, don't you realize this?

Matthew94:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

The only reason this argument started was because Spanishax said atheists are just ignorant, do not know why they argue with theists and she simply tolerates us as a result.

That's just insulting and shows a lack of understanding of atheism.

To be fair both atheists and theists can be ignorant, and I've been reading every comment and I stopped myself several times from commenting since I was seeing some real stretches from both sides. As a fellow Christian, I'm just shaking my head since HIS comments were out of line and incorrect.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked