Atheists "unbless" highway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Tanner The Monotone:
Honestly, I'm a christian and I do think that.

Your a Christian? You follow the teachings of Jesus?

Tanner The Monotone:
That's it. It's not funny, it's just plain stupid. If you really want to protest, do something that makes you look like your more mature than a 6 year old.

What does Jesus say about judging others?

Luke 6
27 "But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

32 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that."

35 "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

I encounter Christians who take all the negative parts from their Bible so often, but I nearly never encounter people who act like Christ would want them to act :(

Revnak:

Seanchaidh:

Revnak:

And we are back to the part where I say religiosity lowers crime rate among other things. And where I have to point out like someone else did earlier that that is due to how many Christians there are in America, or Europe. And how the low concentration of atheists is due to socio- economic class. Considering there is no other relion in the western world that is anywhere near as pervasive, there will obviously be plenty of people in prisons who call themselves Christians. Should I look at the abundance of Chritians in the military and say it leads to more military service? Or how about political office? Or working at McDonalds? There is a reason sociologists use religiosity rather than profession of faith, the latter is far more likely to be meaningless without the former.

Yes, there will obviously be plenty of people in prisons who are Christians-- unless Christianity actually makes people moral. And there will obviously be some people who never deign to provide any numbers for their assertions about crime rates and religiosity, and who mistake an incredibly weak correlation with many, many confounding variables for causation.

High religiosity is correlated with lowered crime rates across the board. I don't know how this can confound you or why you doubt it. You agreed to the idea that it is due to social cohesion,

I said social capital, actually, and having access to a community of persons. That's not the same thing. Weak ties are often more important than strong ones as far as social capital and its affect on one's opportunities.

but then made the weak comparrison of boxing.

It's not a weak comparison. It illustrates that anything that can cause one to simply know a bunch of people can "cause morality" (or however you want to phrase it.) Being in a small town is correlated with high religiosity. But that's not why small towns have less crime. Small towns have less crime because everyone knows everyone.

The other example I considered bringing up was after school programs: distract them enough and they won't be delinquent. Congratulations Christianity.

Now you're backtracking and accusing me of not knowing what causation and correlation mean, which I'm pretty certain everybody on this website does at this point,

Obviously not.

and want me to look up numbers I already know exist. You also want me to question whether a social structure is accomplishing a job that has been associated with it since the beginning of sociology, meaning we've known that religion does indeed promote heightened degrees of moral behavior and social cohesion. Yep, I'm done.

Oh, ok. "We know it, therefore we know it." What a good argument.

Seanchaidh:

Revnak:

Seanchaidh:

Yes, there will obviously be plenty of people in prisons who are Christians-- unless Christianity actually makes people moral. And there will obviously be some people who never deign to provide any numbers for their assertions about crime rates and religiosity, and who mistake an incredibly weak correlation with many, many confounding variables for causation.

High religiosity is correlated with lowered crime rates across the board. I don't know how this can confound you or why you doubt it. You agreed to the idea that it is due to social cohesion,

I said social capital, actually, and having access to a community of persons. That's not the same thing. Weak ties are often more important than strong ones as far as social capital and its affect on one's opportunities.

but then made the weak comparrison of boxing.

It's not a weak comparison. It illustrates that anything that can cause one to simply know a bunch of people can "cause morality" (or however you want to phrase it.) Being in a small town is correlated with high religiosity. But that's not why small towns have less crime. Small towns have less crime because everyone knows everyone.

The other example I considered bringing up was after school programs: distract them enough and they won't be delinquent. Congratulations Christianity.

Now you're backtracking and accusing me of not knowing what causation and correlation mean, which I'm pretty certain everybody on this website does at this point,

Obviously not.

and want me to look up numbers I already know exist. You also want me to question whether a social structure is accomplishing a job that has been associated with it since the beginning of sociology, meaning we've known that religion does indeed promote heightened degrees of moral behavior and social cohesion. Yep, I'm done.

Oh, ok. "We know it, therefore we know it." What a good argument.

I'm just done with this. I do not want to look up data to prove a fundamental of the social sciences. As for after school programs, that one actually works. The social cohesion is more likely to be similar, though it is unlikely that such programs could pass on morals at the same scale. My issue with the boxing comparison was that the social cohesion isn't similar in the sloghtest. Also, I am personally of the opinion that correlation does not always mean causation, but it means that something, possibly a different variable entirely, is causing one or more. It means there's a causal relationship somewhere, and the variables that are correlated are part of it. My argument is the religiosity leads to higher social cohesion which leads to better morals, but it also should be understood that often those with higher degrees of religiosity tend to be of a higher socio-economic class and tend to be better educated than those of lower religiosity professing the same faith, and both of those factors can also lead to better moral behavior. And with that I think I'm done.

Gonna ignore the whole long conversation to say that I feel these bros. I got baptized Eastern Orthodox or something, and frankly, I don't want it :/

MASTACHIEFPWN:
Why can't they just adopt the highway or whatever and clean up trash on the side of it, then they could advertise their group on the highway sign.

This...

Basically, both groups are retarded - the Christians for believing in their crazy zombie alien star baby, and believing that pouring some water and saying some words will do anything to effect (affect? not sure in this context) crime in their county.

The Atheist group for being dicks about it... So what if the religious nuts want to say some pretty words and pour some water? The better thing to do is to show them how stupid they're being by ACTUALLY helping to clean the highway by removing litter, filling in pot holes, etc. etc. - simply scrubbing away the holy water is just retarded.

Revnak:
but it also should be understood that often those with higher degrees of religiosity tend to be of a higher socio-economic class and tend to be better educated than those of lower religiosity professing the same faith, and both of those factors can also lead to better moral behavior. And with that I think I'm done.

Pretty sure the opposite is true. University educated folk who still identify as religious, tend to be less of the church-going scripture quoting sort. The exception of course being those that do religious studies at University.

Indeed, I'd say in this day and age, most University educated individuals are identifying as Atheists or Agnostics. Certainly in Europe at least.

Throw in the fact that many African nations are deeply religious (I'm looking at the Catholics here), and they seem to be in a constant state of poverty and near-anarchy, and I think a strong case can be made that Religion has fucked up a lot more than it has fixed.

Don't even get me started on the Dark Ages, the Crusades, or the ongoing "Holy Struggle" against the west, all of which have Religion at their core.

Danyal:

I encounter Christians who take all the negative parts from their Bible so often, but I nearly never encounter people who act like Christ would want them to act :(

You do have a point and your right. But sometimes people need to be told what you feel about what they're doing.

Also, the reason you probably don't see Christians acting like what Jesus is telling them to is because of two reasons:

1. We're humans. We get angry and say things that are hurtful sometimes. We also can be weak minded creatures, so it can be hard to stick to a set of teachings.

2. Many Christians are Christians only by name, so they don't really even know what the teachings of Jesus really are.

I guess a quote from would Gandhi would say what I mean.

That seems incredibly petty. I fully understand being un-religious, but I never saw that as a good foundation for being a dick to religious people.

Nibbles:
Gonna ignore the whole long conversation to say that I feel these bros. I got baptized Eastern Orthodox or something, and frankly, I don't want it :/

You can do a debaptism if you really want to.

It involves symbolic use of a hairdryer.

I wish I was making this up.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/17/atheists-reportedly-using-hair-dryers-baptize/

(And it wasn't just Fox that reported this, in case the source puts you off).

I am sorry but as an atheist the highway was never blessed, nothing is ever blessed. I mean how can it be? Nothing is sacred or divine.

Frozen Fox:
I am sorry but as an atheist the highway was never blessed, nothing is ever blessed. I mean how can it be? Nothing is sacred or divine.

This is how you bless something:

Say a few words and splash it with water/oil/whatever (or don't.) It doesn't actually do anything other than allow one to say that the thing is 'blessed'. People who sneeze a lot are quite blessed.

Danyal:

No offense to you personally Danyal, but one of the few times I've seen generally positive christians on this board. Several Atheists (including you, I think. Forgive me if I'm wrong) frequently say "You're a christian eh? Well what about Stoning gays? Do you do that? Do you kill adulterers?! Why aren't you doing that? You aren't a real christian then!" Once more, I'm not trying to offend you, but I always see Atheists ask to see a "Real christian who follows the ways of Jesus". But whenever a moderate/liberal Christian appears they're usually bombarded with questions asking if they ever follow the horrid laws of the Old Testament.

Anyways, back on topic. I still find "unblessing" a highway to be a douchy move. Blessings aren't solely for christians and people should feel grateful for a blessing, not seek to destroy it because they say it makes them feel "unwelcome". To any people who don't understand blessings fully, allow me to explain.

Essentially, a blessing is like the opposite of a curse. Where a curse tries to stick you with ill luck, and ensure you suffer and feel misery or pain; a blessing is supposed to grant you good luck, to watch out for you and protect you. If someone blesses you, atheist or not, it's not saying "Turn this person into a christian" or "Enjoy this christians, it's a gift". It's saying "God, please protect this person and see to it they can have a happy and safe life." A blessing doesn't solely affect christians. Heck, Catholic priests bless non christians who don't want to accept Communion all the time.

This wasn't an attempt at making Atheists feel unwelcome. This was personally asking something you believe is a divine being to protect all those who travel across that stretch of road and ensure none of them get in a car wreck or die. Now can you see why what these people did is a douchey move? Even if you don't believe in God. If you "unbless" a highway, you're symbolically getting rid of something that's supposed to protect people. You're metaphorically taking away people's protection out of pure spite. It's like if someone told you "Good Luck" when you're about to take a difficult test and you saying, "Screw you, there's no such thing as luck!"

Witty Name Here:
No offense to you personally Danyal, but one of the few times I've seen generally positive christians on this board. Several Atheists (including you, I think. Forgive me if I'm wrong) frequently say "You're a christian eh? Well what about Stoning gays? Do you do that? Do you kill adulterers?! Why aren't you doing that? You aren't a real christian then!" Once more, I'm not trying to offend you, but I always see Atheists ask to see a "Real christian who follows the ways of Jesus". But whenever a moderate/liberal Christian appears they're usually bombarded with questions asking if they ever follow the horrid laws of the Old Testament.

Yeah, being a Christian is hard. On one side, you've got to deal with insanely cruel verses that propagate Bronze Age Ethics, on the other side, you've got the unachievable ideals of Jesus.

Witty Name Here:
Anyways, back on topic. I still find "unblessing" a highway to be a douchy move. Blessings aren't solely for christians and people should feel grateful for a blessing, not seek to destroy it because they say it makes them feel "unwelcome". To any people who don't understand blessings fully, allow me to explain.

Essentially, a blessing is like the opposite of a curse. Where a curse tries to stick you with ill luck, and ensure you suffer and feel misery or pain; a blessing is supposed to grant you good luck, to watch out for you and protect you. If someone blesses you, atheist or not, it's not saying "Turn this person into a christian" or "Enjoy this christians, it's a gift". It's saying "God, please protect this person and see to it they can have a happy and safe life." A blessing doesn't solely affect christians. Heck, Catholic priests bless non christians who don't want to accept Communion all the time.

This wasn't an attempt at making Atheists feel unwelcome. This was personally asking something you believe is a divine being to protect all those who travel across that stretch of road and ensure none of them get in a car wreck or die. Now can you see why what these people did is a douchey move? Even if you don't believe in God. If you "unbless" a highway, you're symbolically getting rid of something that's supposed to protect people. You're metaphorically taking away people's protection out of pure spite. It's like if someone told you "Good Luck" when you're about to take a difficult test and you saying, "Screw you, there's no such thing as luck!"

If we use your definition of a blessing, this highway wasn't blessed.

From the OP;

"And praying for that entryway in to the city, that God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county," Geringswald said.

Dissuading certain crowds from the city is NOT a blessing.

Danyal:

If we use your definition of a blessing, this highway wasn't blessed.

From the OP;

"And praying for that entryway in to the city, that God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county," Geringswald said.

Dissuading certain crowds from the city is NOT a blessing.

Well when the certain crowd deals in illegal narcotics and are in most cases incredibly violent, I don't see what's entirely wrong with it. If it was just a bunch of poor addicts looking for a home, then I'd have a problem. But I'm pretty sure they mostly mean protecting the city from violent drug dealers... Which, on second thought, now makes what the atheists did seem even worse.

Witty Name Here:

Danyal:

You make a good point. What should really be asked is why they don't follow the horrid ideas of the New Testament: where are all the voluntarily limbless, eyeless Christians?

Witty Name Here:
Well when the certain crowd deals in illegal narcotics and are in most cases incredibly violent, I don't see what's entirely wrong with it. If it was just a bunch of poor addicts looking for a home, then I'd have a problem. But I'm pretty sure they mostly mean protecting the city from violent drug dealers... Which, on second thought, now makes what the atheists did seem even worse.

Look, you attack Atheists for removing a 'purely positive blessing', but it's not a blessing, it was meant to keep certain people away from the city.

So I Googled a little because I couldn't imagine that the Christians only opposed drug users. So I found something that I haven't read before and therefore...

Ultratwinkie:
I don't know if I would be offended by a simple blessing. Then again, you get used to stuff like this as a Deist because no one knows they even exist 99% of the time.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Could you PLEASE edit the OP? I found this about the supposed 'blessing';

According to Pastor Frank Smith of Frank Smith Ministries in Winter Haven, the oil ritual was
intended to bring those in Polk County to a "full knowledge of Jesus Christ" and to ask "God to
have angels inspect every vehicle that travels into or out of this county" and "if they will not
submit to God's way of living, then the prayer is to have them incarcerated or removed from the
county."

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/PRESSRELEASE.pdf

And multiple government officials support it;

On March 1, 2011, PUP held an event at which Lakeland Mayor Gow Fields, Polk County
Schools Superintendant Sherrie Nickell, and Polk County Sherriff Grady Judd were the guests of
honor. PUP Organizer, Richard Geringswald declared that these three "are coming on board with enthusiasm. Each representative touches three major factors in our county: Government,
Education and Law Enforcement." Below is pictured a billboard whereon these leaders endorse
PUP with their names and their government offices.

Two days after this March 1st event, Sherriff Grady Judd arranged for the arrest and
incarceration of EllenBeth Wachs, an atheist activist, after she made public records requests
investigating Judd's allegedly illegal transfers of county property to local churches. (Wachs now
serves as President of the Humanists of Florida Association.)

This puts the entire story in a completely different light. They were not removing a blessing, they were removing an evil curse that called for the incarceration of everyone who didn't follow God's way. You know, homosexuals and non-Christians.

Danyal:

Witty Name Here:

Look, you attack Atheists for removing a 'purely positive blessing', but it's not a blessing, it was meant to keep certain people away from the city.

So I Googled a little because I couldn't imagine that the Christians only opposed drug users. So I found something that I haven't read before and therefore...

Ultratwinkie:
I don't know if I would be offended by a simple blessing. Then again, you get used to stuff like this as a Deist because no one knows they even exist 99% of the time.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Could you PLEASE edit the OP? I found this about the supposed 'blessing';

According to Pastor Frank Smith of Frank Smith Ministries in Winter Haven, the oil ritual was
intended to bring those in Polk County to a "full knowledge of Jesus Christ" and to ask "God to
have angels inspect every vehicle that travels into or out of this county" and "if they will not
submit to God's way of living, then the prayer is to have them incarcerated or removed from the
county."

And multiple government officials support it;

On March 1, 2011, PUP held an event at which Lakeland Mayor Gow Fields, Polk County
Schools Superintendant Sherrie Nickell, and Polk County Sherriff Grady Judd were the guests of
honor. PUP Organizer, Richard Geringswald declared that these three "are coming on board with enthusiasm. Each representative touches three major factors in our county: Government,
Education and Law Enforcement." Below is pictured a billboard whereon these leaders endorse

Two days after this March 1st event, Sherriff Grady Judd arranged for the arrest and
incarceration of EllenBeth Wachs, an atheist activist, after she made public records requests
investigating Judd's allegedly illegal transfers of county property to local churches. (Wachs now

This puts the entire story in a completely different light. They were not removing a blessing, they were removing an evil curse that called for the incarceration of everyone who didn't follow God's way. You know, homosexuals and non-Christians.

Oh god this thread is still around. Alright, i'll edit it.

Am I the only atheist that doesn't give a fuck, let people bless it, let it stayed blessed. They can waste time doing whatever the fuck they want. Some atheists are treating not believing in a higher power like it was a religion.

Nibbles:

How does it hurt you?

If you don't believe in god, its just silly words and some sprinkled water

If you believe in another religion, you can still follow that one can't you?

Wolverine18:

Nibbles:

How does it hurt you?

Well, I still don't 'want' it. Frankly, only the parents know and maybe some relatives, so perhaps the event itself will fade into nonexistence. Even worse, they didn't want to do it, they were forced to by grandparents. It is a pretty poor legacy.

It doesn't DO anything to me, but it can still annoy me. Hence why I understand why people do stuff like in the OP.

It seems a little disrespectful, yes, it seems weird to have oil over the highway, But, they believe they are doing it for the right reasons. Its like doing something which you think will help somebody and them slapping you in the face for it. Just my opinion.

Nibbles:

Wolverine18:

Nibbles:

How does it hurt you?

Well, I still don't 'want' it. Frankly, only the parents know and maybe some relatives, so perhaps the event itself will fade into nonexistence. Even worse, they didn't want to do it, they were forced to by grandparents. It is a pretty poor legacy.

It doesn't DO anything to me, but it can still annoy me. Hence why I understand why people do stuff like in the OP.

I have trouble understanding this. I was also baptized into a religion that I don't believe in. I'm not however mad at anyone for doing it. It was their culture and beliefs, so they did what they thought right. In your case, it was your grandparents being respected. What's wrong with that?

It's only as important as you make it. If you are upset over it, maybe you should examine that hospitality to see why you are reacting so negatively to something that was done with the best of intentions and causes you no harm.

Kendarik:

I have trouble understanding this. I was also baptized into a religion that I don't believe in. I'm not however mad at anyone for doing it. It was their culture and beliefs, so they did what they thought right. In your case, it was your grandparents being respected. What's wrong with that?

It's only as important as you make it. If you are upset over it, maybe you should examine that hospitality to see why you are reacting so negatively to something that was done with the best of intentions and causes you no harm.

The best of intentions?

Ok, lets change the details around a bit. How would you feel and react to this same church putting up a giant banner across the road. The content of the banner's message was "true believers in Jesus Christ are welcome here, all others can f*** off!"

That is essentially what the blessing was intended to do, albeit in a more subtle manner.

You are correct in stating that it doesn't actually do any harm, but a negative reaction to the sentiment is warranted, and it certainly is not an admirable thing for the church to do, even in intent.

EDIT: nvm, sorry for ragging on the wrong topic, that's what I get for not reading the whole conversation before posting.

Heronblade:

Ok, lets change the details around a bit. How would you feel and react to this same church putting up a giant banner across the road. The content of the banner's message was "true believers in Jesus Christ are welcome here, all others can f*** off!"

That is essentially what the blessing was intended to do, albeit in a more subtle manner.

Kendarik:

I have trouble understanding this.

Well...

Ultratwinkie:
county."

...that doesn't seem very 'subtle'...

Y'see, this is why I hate telling people I'm Atheist. Because I eventually get lumped with people like this. Retards who think it's socially acceptable to mock others just because they believe something different. They're no better than the Christians that they make fun of.

Kendarik:

Nibbles:

Wolverine18:

How does it hurt you?

You see, I'd say they were 'being respected' if they had not practically forced it on my parents. If my parents did it out of respect, then fine, but that hardly seemed to be the case. I'm suspect of the motives of the grandparents as well for various reasons. Indeed, it is only as important as I make it, but we are talking about it in this thread. It would never come up otherwise.

Danyal:

Heronblade:

Kendarik:

Well...

Ultratwinkie:
county."

...that doesn't seem very 'subtle'...

If you don't know about the "blessing" beforehand, there's nothing to see on that stretch of highway, no overt way to know some people in the county think you ought to GTFO or go to jail. That's all I meant by subtle.

wintercoat:
Y'see, this is why I hate telling people I'm Atheist. Because I eventually get lumped with people like this. Retards who think it's socially acceptable to mock others just because they believe something different. They're no better than the Christians that they make fun of.

Read the OP please...

county."

The retards here are NOT the guys who remove a 'blessing' that calls for the incarceration/removal of those who don't 'submit to God's way of living'.

Heronblade:
If you don't know about the "blessing" beforehand, there's nothing to see on that stretch of highway, no overt way to know some people in the county think you ought to GTFO or go to jail. That's all I meant by subtle.

They still placed huge signs to tell people about their 'blessing';

And, as you could read in the OP, multiple government officials support it;

Danyal:

Heronblade:

Kendarik:

Well...

...snip of pointless off topic comment by Danyal...

Danyal, go back and read the post again. You will find I was referring to the person being upset about being baptized as a child, not about anything to do with the highway.

Nibbles:

Kendarik:

Nibbles:

You see, I'd say they were 'being respected' if they had not practically forced it on my parents. If my parents did it out of respect, then fine, but that hardly seemed to be the case. I'm suspect of the motives of the grandparents as well for various reasons. Indeed, it is only as important as I make it, but we are talking about it in this thread. It would never come up otherwise.

I don't understand, how did they force your parents?

Don Savik:
Cmon guys its one group of people not all atheists as a collective.

Don't worry, we are pretty balanced here. For every "atheists are insensitive, condescending jerks" person, there are at least 2 "religious people are stupid, hateful pricks" people ready to stand up and throw more rocks.

Anyway, I do think this is pretty mean-spirited and immature. Was the church who blessed it doing other obnoxious things, or was the group just wanting to lash out on the first religious group they found in the phone book? This can only poorly reflect on them.

Kendarik:

Nibbles:

Kendarik:

Coercion? I've never really asked. The less I know, the less it ever happened. I think quite a few people don't like that sort of coercion or the kind involved in blessing something that basically shits and pisses its entire existence thus far.

Nibbles:

Kendarik:

Nibbles:

Coercion? I've never really asked. The less I know, the less it ever happened. I think quite a few people don't like that sort of coercion or the kind involved in blessing something that basically shits and pisses its entire existence thus far.

So you don't really know and you are judging others negatively without knowing. That's a shame.

Hang on, hold up, wait a second. Let me see if I got this right.
So a group of believers bless the road. This part is easy enough. Then a group of non believers wash the blessing off?
Surely if they don't believe then to them all the blessing stuff is just nonsense and therefore has no effect upon the road or the people around it or travelling on it, and therefore by attempting to undo the blessing they are admitting to some sort of belief system or in the very least, a fear of it. If it makes them feel uncomfortable to know that the road has been blessed then they are either afraid of the blessing, or just idiots who should grow up.
I don't think even most anti-theists would find it necessary to bother doing that.

Galletea:
Hang on, hold up, wait a second. Let me see if I got this right.
So a group of believers bless the road. This part is easy enough. Then a group of non believers wash the blessing off?
Surely if they don't believe then to them all the blessing stuff is just nonsense and therefore has no effect upon the road or the people around it or travelling on it, and therefore by attempting to undo the blessing they are admitting to some sort of belief system or in the very least, a fear of it. If it makes them feel uncomfortable to know that the road has been blessed then they are either afraid of the blessing, or just idiots who should grow up.
I don't think even most anti-theists would find it necessary to bother doing that.

If it was just a simple blessing, that would be one thing, but pay attention to what the blessing was supposed to actually do.

You don't have to believe in the effectiveness of a blessing to publicly repudiate the message of that blessing. I earlier compared the blessing to a sign telling everyone that people that don't believe the same things as the church that placed it can go the hell away. Would you object to someone going out and removing the sign? I for one would gladly burn it to cinders.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked