Atheists "unbless" highway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Mortai Gravesend:

FelixG:

Mortai Gravesend:

Oh look, someone who didn't stop to think for 2 seconds that maybe they were reacting to feeling unwelcome.

Yeah, that's bullshit, you have cause and effect backwards.

So just because you don't feel welcomed is a reason to act petty and like douchebags huh?

Its no wonder people make fun of atheists so much with this point of view.

I'm curious, did voices tell you that I wrote that it was? If so they're lying to ya.

I certainly see nothing they were doing to be anything worse than the church group though. It's better even, it's showing the church douches what their actions are like to others.

Ohh clever, saying I hear voices.

The church didn't go out and specifically try to insult another group with their actions.

Where as these asshats went out with the express purpose of causing grief to another group of people just because they believe in a beardman in the sky.

Broderick:
I face psalmed.

You must think you're a REAL punny guy.

Disrespectful on both sides. But it's not really an issue. These people should be spending time doing stuff that's actually helpful instead.

Stupid atheists giving us normal ones a bad name. We aren't a group, and if you think about it, blessing a highway doesn't even matter, because they shouldn't believe it does anything anyway. "unblessing" the road doesn't change the fact that someone believed the thoughts that they did when they blessed it.

Stupid much, for both groups. Why the hell would you bless a friggin road? And why would you clean the road to remove a blessing that you don't even believe really exists? These people really really need to sort out their priorities.

FelixG:

Mortai Gravesend:

FelixG:

So just because you don't feel welcomed is a reason to act petty and like douchebags huh?

Its no wonder people make fun of atheists so much with this point of view.

I'm curious, did voices tell you that I wrote that it was? If so they're lying to ya.

I certainly see nothing they were doing to be anything worse than the church group though. It's better even, it's showing the church douches what their actions are like to others.

Ohh clever, saying I hear voices.

About as clever as asking stupid questions that suggest I said things that I did not. Quite a bit more actually.

The church didn't go out and specifically try to insult another group with their actions.

Oh I'm sorry, I'm supposed to care if they're douches deliberately or while being ignorant?

Where as these asshats went out with the express purpose of causing grief to another group of people just because they believe in a beardman in the sky.

Funny, that's not what the article said. Do you have a tendency to make things up when convenient?

Just to start off with, I am a person with certain religious beliefs, though I don't attend any organized church or religion. That said, I think both groups here are being a combination of ignorant, naive, and flat-out dumb or disrespectful.

From the religious group's standpoint, there's nothing "wrong" with trying to 'bless' your highway. On the flip-side, I think that if you actually think dropping some holy water and saying some prayers on a roadway is going to keep out "evildoers", that's naive at best.

From the atheist's standpoint, the only offense that could really be had is if groups of people were throwing holy-water balloons at passing cars that were driven by non-Christians. Beyond that, trying to wash the road with your "unholy water", you're just being an idiot or hateful. Either way, if it's at all like the area of Washington where I live, enough people have probably relieved themselves on the roadway there that the holy water was washed away by urine a long time ago.

Message to both groups: grow up.

So let me get this straight. You're going to wash away the magic oil, whose powers you don't believe in, in order to demonstrate you don't believe in their powers?

This was the retarded response.

The correct response was to say "magic oil, that's stupid shit." and go back to reading your paper.

I find it to be more then a bit offensive.

I mean, if Athiests don't believe in God, that's alright, but do they really have to try and profane a blessing to get their point across? Even if you don't believe in God, can't you have some respect for the fact that religious leaders are asking God to protect and care for anyone traveling along that road?

Mortai Gravesend:

Funny, that's not what the article said. Do you have a tendency to make things up when convenient?

"We come in peace .. now that's normally what aliens say when they visit a new planet, but we're not aliens, we're atheists!" Humanists of Florida director Mark Palmer shouted to the group along Highway 98.

Well they certainly didn't do it to be peaceful. At least according to their director.

And the article characterized the conflict as a fued.

In case you are too lazy to look it up

A state of prolonged mutual hostility, typically between two families or communities,

So yes, they did it specifically to spite the other group.

I am not saying the church was smart or right to bless the road in the first place, but these guys were out to hurt the other group which makes them deserving of every bit of hate that comes their way.

Astoria:
Stupid much, for both groups. Why the hell would you bless a friggin road? And why would you clean the road to remove a blessing that you don't even believe really exists? These people really really need to sort out their priorities.

Ya, but I think you'd have to agree that one of these stupidities outway's the other.

Really a distinction needs to be made between people who simply don't believe there is a god, and people who feel morally obligated to shit all over other people's beliefs for no reason at all.

Fieldy409:
See atheist groups have mad assholes too. How dare a religious group try to help a troubled area.

Not sure how doing a bunch of religious ritual is supposed to "help" here. Might as well strip naked and run around yelling "ZEUS SMITE THE EVILDOER!!!!!"

They should have dumped spaghetti all over the road and invoked the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Much more sarcastic. But scrubbing the road? Doesn't that kind of indicate you believe that the holy whatever actually HAS some kind of effect? Shouldn't they implode from the contradiction? :P

So much dumb from both groups here, I can't make good words.

FelixG:

Mortai Gravesend:

"We come in peace .. now that's normally what aliens say when they visit a new planet, but we're not aliens, we're atheists!" Humanists of Florida director Mark Palmer shouted to the group along Highway 98.[/unquote]

Well they certainly didn't do it to be peaceful. At least according to their director.

And the article characterized the conflict as a fued.

In case you are too lazy to look it up

[quote] A state of prolonged mutual hostility, typically between two families or communities,

I am not saying the church was smart or right to bless the road in the first place, but these guys were out to hurt the other group which makes them deserving of every bit of hate that comes their way.

Speaking as an atheist, don't even bother replying to him. He is a troll at best and an anti-theist at worst; you know, the exact same thing as the people he hates? Let angry trolls starve.

Anyway, both sides are dumb but I feel the atheists are even more so here. We are supposed to be the rational ones, and washing water off with more water specifically to pick a fight just gives the rest of us a bad name.

I cannot facepalm hard enough. ...and I'm an atheist. So they blessed the friggan highway? You don't believe in any sort of God, to say nothing of their God, so the blessing shouldn't mean anything to you. It sure wouldn't mean anything to me.

JMeganSnow:

Fieldy409:
See atheist groups have mad assholes too. How dare a religious group try to help a troubled area.

Not sure how doing a bunch of religious ritual is supposed to "help" here. Might as well strip naked and run around yelling "ZEUS SMITE THE EVILDOER!!!!!"

They should have dumped spaghetti all over the road and invoked the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Much more sarcastic. But scrubbing the road? Doesn't that kind of indicate you believe that the holy whatever actually HAS some kind of effect? Shouldn't they implode from the contradiction? :P

Finding pirates costumes outside of halloween is far too much effort for them I think! xD

And when has being contradictory ever stopped crazy people from being fanatics? :P

I tried to "unbless" this thread and think I ruined my monitor :(

FelixG:

Hey I guess you're too lazy to look up but you said:

So do tell, what's with the dishonesty here? It seems to be a big issue with you. You should look into fixing that.

Mortai Gravesend:

FelixG:

So do tell, what's with the dishonesty here? It seems to be a big issue with you. You should look into fixing that.

What dishonesty might that be? I never said I myself wasn't a douchebag. Just that they are as well.

Hell I would be the first to admit that I am a douchebag and with all likelihood a horrible horrible person.

Lucem712:
What? Scrub a highway? What's gonna stop them from just pourin' more holy water on it? Face/palm for both of these groups. No offense, just seems kind of silly.

This needs to be settled, holy water vs unholy water super soaker fight. Each team must consist of teenage girls in white T-shirts, the Christians can have a little cross on theirs.

I will judge. :D

Also, the captchas are advertisements now? Really? I guess I could go for some little ceasars.....

Chevalier noir:

Lucem712:
What? Scrub a highway? What's gonna stop them from just pourin' more holy water on it? Face/palm for both of these groups. No offense, just seems kind of silly.

This needs to be settled, holy water vs unholy water super soaker fight. Each team must consist of teenage girls in white T-shirts, the Christians can have a little cross on theirs.

I will judge. :D

Also, the captchas are advertisements now? Really? I guess I could go for some little ceasars.....

I will sacrifice my ever valuable time to assist with this judging!

FelixG:

Mortai Gravesend:

FelixG:

What dishonesty might that be? I never said I myself wasn't a douchebag. Just that they are as well.

Hell I would be the first to admit that I am a douchebag and with all likelihood a horrible horrible person.

How about you're misrepresenting their motives and are nicely 'forgetting' that bit to focus on them supposedly doing it out of spite.

I dont see the problem, really...

One group went out of their way to stage an event to say "we are making this road a symbol of our way of thinking".
Another group with the opposite point of view went out of their way to stage an event to say "we are making this road a symbol of our way of thinking".

For the first group, the road started with no religious significance, and they chose to symbolically add a religious significance. For the second group, the road had a religious significance and they chose to symbolically remove a religious significance. I dont see the second as any more disrespectful than the first... Hardly any difference between the two, imo.

OK, so I don't see the point of this at all. Atheists shouldn't believe prayers had ANY effect, why are they against prayers being said? Why do they believe they need to wash it off? This is either meant to offend or make a point at the least or they really believe the prayers have some sort of effect and can't call themselves Atheists. Although I guess the cars passing a clean road wont complain though...

I have a question. If atheists do not believe in God or her blessings, why should something insubstantial to their doctrine matter one whit?
This act alone shows a lot of self-defeatism going on.

samsonguy920:
I have a question. If atheists do not believe in God or her blessings, why should something insubstantial to their doctrine matter one whit?
This act alone shows a lot of self-defeatism going on.

Or they're trying to send a message that the gesture of the church was rather exclusive towards others in the community.

Asuka Soryu:
Oh my god, it's a road. A road. A road... These people need a hobby. "We bless this road"

"How dare you shun us with your holy road!"

Well... the road is holy alright, look at all these damn pot holes.

You've just made my day. ^.^

Well folks, there we go. Atheists now have their own idiotic extremists. I'd say we beat them all with a baseball bat before they can commit more stupidity, and I'm saying that as an Atheist myself.

jurnag12:
Well folks, there we go. Atheists now have their own idiotic extremists. I'd say we beat them all with a baseball bat before they can commit more stupidity, and I'm saying that as an Atheist myself.

What is so extreme about pretty much just saying "Screw your blessing, it's unwelcoming to those of other faiths"?

Good on them.

Xartyve2:
That's all it takes to remove blessings? Regular water? Any Christian who has ever showered is fucked.

I can see alot of people go 'doh' at this point when they goy to hell and realised that their holy water washed off in the shower

double post...

TIRL - Trolling in real life. I am not religious but if a priest blessed my street I would not feel excluded or transgressed or unwelcome in anyway. The only way I see it is that you have a bunch of insecure assholes hiding behind atheism to justify their actions. People who get so butt-hurt over anything that challenges what their beliefs or lack there of indirectly that they have to act foolishly and in turn make them come off as a bunch of juvenile pricks. In turn hurting "whatever the hell" cause they promote and support.

you know what would have been funny?
if, back when the road was being blessed, the oil would have caused a massive accident with at least one school bus.
but since that didn't happen i just feel dumber for having read it.

They seem like a bunch of attention-whores who want to show how much they hate religion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked