Atheists "unbless" highway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Tanksie:
how fucking stupid and disrespectful of them, what dumb cunts.

Cuz religious people always take other peoples point of view into account *points at Westbro*

DarkRyter:
This has given me the idea to unbaptize people I don't like.

Pretty rad.

lol, also maybe rubbing oil on the roads those stop crime from coming into the city, as the criminals may die in a car crash due to a lack of friction.

OT: well, we should give a fuck about this because...?

Makes us all look bad. To me being an atheist is about tolerance and acceptance of people who choose religion to explain the universe, while providing answers and knowledge to those inquisitive enough to ask it from us along with defending our views with knowledge when criticised or attacked for our stance. Atheism is not about attacking or interfering with harmless religious beliefs and practises. Blessing a road in the hope that a god will stop druggies coming to town is harmless.

Revnak:
Basically, they were just symbolically taking a stand against drug use and what not

Considering this:

It's been an ongoing feud between the groups in the county: the atheists are also unhappy with prayer bricks PUP members buried along I-4 and various other roadway leading in to the county, engraved with Psalm 37.

"For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing," Geringswald said, reading the psalm from his Bible.

Well, Psalm 37 hardly sounds like it's just talking about drug users and the like.

Revnak:

Nikolaz72:

OlasDAlmighty:

Ya, but I think you'd have to agree that one of these stupidities outway's the other.

Really a distinction needs to be made between people who simply don't believe there is a god, and people who feel morally obligated to shit all over other people's beliefs for no reason at all.

IF THERE IS A GOD, THEN LET HIM STRIKE ME DOWN BEFORE I WASH THE ROAD HE BLESSED. -Waits 5 seconds- *Sprays water at the road* HAH. There is no god. -Reinforced atheism- Check.

OT: No, I disagree. This is not the same as putting Westboro in the same camp as other Christians. Atheists are not a group and therefor it makes no sense to in any way be related to other atheists merely by a group-feel. While Christians call themself by that name. (Or Protestant/Catholic) And as such, as any street-gang. They have the curse of carrying the group's overall reputation. And it is their responsibility to make sure that those who do shit is alienated, if they dont then obviously they have no problem with them getting their reputation sourered by the likes of Westboro.

Although I dont think the hostilities are called for, I mean we are almost alike. Atheists merely have one (Or in some cases three) Gods less than the Christians.

That being said, I dont think removing something made to make others feel unwelcome, would make others feel unwelcome.

Filiecs:
On the bright side, at least the road has been cleaned twice.
Although it was rude of the Athiests to say that the Churches good intentions are bad and they should feel bad.
In the end, anyone can be a crazy zealot about anything.

Well they 'did' sorta write "Everyone but Christians shall be hated and striked down" all over the -side- of the road.

How can Christians alienate themselves from WBC any more than they have? The baptists have already kicked them out of the denomination. What, are all Christians supposed to start calling themselves not- the-WBC-Christians?

Nah, I just think even recognising them as a Church is too much.

SpAc3man:
Makes us all look bad. To me being an atheist is about tolerance and acceptance of people who choose religion to explain the universe, while providing answers and knowledge to those inquisitive enough to ask it from us along with defending our views with knowledge when criticised or attacked for our stance. Atheism is not about attacking or interfering with harmless religious beliefs and practises. Blessing a road in the hope that a god will stop druggies coming to town is harmless.

Well then you're wrong about atheism. It's just a lack of belief in a deity. All the rest is stuff besides atheism. It's not much of a concept to try and define yourself by.

Sandytimeman:

Tanksie:

Cuz religious people always take other peoples point of view into account *points at Westbro*

Yeah, and all those Muslims are just like the ones flying planes into shit. Way to point at the worst of the bunch. It's kinda like judging all Bronies by the weirdos posting pony spank material all over the stinking net.

KRAKENDIE:

Revnak:

Fluffles:
It was stupid in the first place. What the hell does blessing do? And do people actually believe in "holy water" or "holy oil" and that it actually does anything?
oh wait, people believe in homeopathy. I mean, it's the same shit, just a different smell.

I say good on 'em, it's just a 'fuck you' to people imposing beliefs on the public.

To be fair, pentecostals (this group included) think things like this are symbolic. Older denominations believe in the power of holy relics. And really, who doesn't impose their beliefs on the public? This forum is public, and you're imposing your beliefs on me. I never understood that argument.

A forum is a sanctioned center for expressing beliefs. A bridge isn't.

And yet I can probably still get yelled at if I try to evangelize here about how I should stop forcing my beliefs down other people's throats (and yes I know this applies to atheists as well, or any other view on religion). Yet any other kinds of views are totally fair game. Personally, I don't buy it. I think you don't really believe something until you're willing to argue that you're right.

Wait if they're atheists can't they just act like it's not blessed?

Mortai Gravesend:

Revnak:
Basically, they were just symbolically taking a stand against drug use and what not

Considering this:

It's been an ongoing feud between the groups in the county: the atheists are also unhappy with prayer bricks PUP members buried along I-4 and various other roadway leading in to the county, engraved with Psalm 37.

"For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing," Geringswald said, reading the psalm from his Bible.

Well, Psalm 37 hardly sounds like it's just talking about drug users and the like.

They're probably focusing on the second half, not that that's what I was talking about. Still, the burial of the bricks is a symbolic gesture, even if it is out of ill will, in which case I would be against it. Since they mention doing ads involving reformed inmates, I'm not going to outright assume they're the judgemental type.

Edit- also, that quote is way out of context. Psalms 37 is mostly about how wickedness amounts to nothing and the good guys will always win in the end. More fairy tale than judgement.

Nikolaz72:

Revnak:

Nikolaz72:

IF THERE IS A GOD, THEN LET HIM STRIKE ME DOWN BEFORE I WASH THE ROAD HE BLESSED. -Waits 5 seconds- *Sprays water at the road* HAH. There is no god. -Reinforced atheism- Check.

OT: No, I disagree. This is not the same as putting Westboro in the same camp as other Christians. Atheists are not a group and therefor it makes no sense to in any way be related to other atheists merely by a group-feel. While Christians call themself by that name. (Or Protestant/Catholic) And as such, as any street-gang. They have the curse of carrying the group's overall reputation. And it is their responsibility to make sure that those who do shit is alienated, if they dont then obviously they have no problem with them getting their reputation sourered by the likes of Westboro.

Although I dont think the hostilities are called for, I mean we are almost alike. Atheists merely have one (Or in some cases three) Gods less than the Christians.

That being said, I dont think removing something made to make others feel unwelcome, would make others feel unwelcome.

Well they 'did' sorta write "Everyone but Christians shall be hated and striked down" all over the -side- of the road.

How can Christians alienate themselves from WBC any more than they have? The baptists have already kicked them out of the denomination. What, are all Christians supposed to start calling themselves not- the-WBC-Christians?

Nah, I just think even recognising them as a Church is too much.

I've been calling them a cult for over a year. My father is less judgmental in this regard, which is a rare thing to have happen.

Nouw:

well...

Why bother working at all, and wait til it rains?

Its not California where you get rain once in a couple years, its Florida for christ sakes.

Look. God doesn't exist. As such, there is no need to 'unbless' a road as the blessing put there amounts to nothing anyway. Stop wasting your time and go home.

aren't public roads considered state or national property? if so then shouldn't the seperation of church and state mean they aren't allowed to bless them... just saying

It shows that Atheism is just as much a "religion" as any other, and that they can be just a bizarre (to put it lightly) as any other religious group. Seriously, there is not one sane person in that entire story.

The problem is that you've got extremists on both sides, and there seems to be more and more everyday. It's like there's this polarization of the entire world going on, where people are flocking to the extremes of one viewpoint or another. Extremism leads to a complete lack of perspective. Religious extremists need to stop shoving their religion down other people's throats and treating those that don't subscribe to their religion as if they're the embodiment of evil. And atheist extremists need to stop treating everyone who has faith as if they were either some deluded child or mentally deficient in some way.

I think it's GREAT.

Religious retards pray for rain - while making fun of others that do the same thing,
tell everyone not part of their fan club they're gonna get raped and burned,
and now...bless a damn road.

Rah-men this is great.

Ultratwinkie:

Nouw:

well...

Why bother working at all, and wait til it rains?

Its not California where you get rain once in a couple years, its Florida for christ sakes.

I see this as the best option. I mean if they can spend that long re-tainting a highway, they're not going to be convinced otherwise. And the rain will taint us all...

Ugh. Look, when someone from a religion that I don't happen to follow asks their god to bless me, you know what I say?

"Thank you." It's a kind gesture with NO SUBTEXT. What kind of person would I be to say "What? I DON'T WANT A BLESSING FROM A GOD I DON'T THINK EXISTS!!!" I'd be an asshole. These guys are assholes.

Maybe if the blessers specifically blessed it for there group only, or to ward off people of other faiths, but all they did was ask God to keep evil away from them. They specifically mention DRUG DEALERS.

This level of religious intolerance is exactly why Atheists are getting a bad rap. These people should be ashamed.

seems a bit strange considering a blessing does dick all in the first place.

Sandytimeman:

Tanksie:

I honestly don't get posts like this, What does another group have anything to do with this group?

Just because Westbro are dumb cunts doesn't mean these guys cant also be dumb cunts. No one is saying that there aren't far more numerous religious fanatics than there are atheist fanatics.

Just that this particular group of people are dumb.

It's good to see people of both religious beliefs and a lack of them using their time to do things so worthwhile...

No but seriously, what a waste of time.
If the atheists don't believe in God, then why would they be 'unwelcome' if they were using a supposedly-blessed highway? Surely they could just refuse to believe it was blessed at all, considering they don't believe in a God?

Stupid.

If you were to unbless a highway doesn't that imply that there was some sort of supernatural blessing endowed upon it in the first place?

If atheists don't believe in any God or gods then such gods then why are they spending time to remove blessings that, in their mind, do not exist? Wouldn't the proper atheist response be to completely ignore the non-existent "blessing" on the road? Aren't they acknowledging a higher power by acknowledging Its power on Earth?

If you're trying to loosen the stranglehold Christianity has on the American South, you're gonna have to do a hell of a lot more than mop roads

i think theyre just trying to show how "blessing" something is, especially a road.

FelixG:

Sandytimeman:

Tanksie:

I honestly don't get posts like this, What does another group have anything to do with this group?

Just because Westbro are dumb cunts doesn't mean these guys cant also be dumb cunts. No one is saying that there aren't far more numerous religious fanatics than there are atheist fanatics.

Just that this particular group of people are dumb.

Right but personally I'm happy to see these kind of groups cropping up. for years, I've sat back and watched news posts, articles, vids, etc about every manner of people from all walks of life in thousands of different groups bash on the rights and lives of homosexuals (the group I belong too).

It's nice for a change to see some group trying to wash away a bit of the mark these people leave on the world, even if it is just symbolic and stupid.

Geringswald said PUP is trying to do something positive - to keep crime out and encourage faith.

Too bad what they're doing won't do anything to prevent crime and faith is a terrible thing then.

KRAKENDIE:

Fasckira:
Atheist Extremists, because regular religion extremists were too mainstream. Fecking hipster militants.

If you dont believe in something, thats fine, and I doubt a road being blessed could really have been causing that much discomfort to an atheist. No need to be a complete dick about it tbh.

This links back to that thread that was here the other day where the op was seemingly surprised that you got morons in all walks of life, not just religious circles.

Somehow you managed to whine about extremists, atheists, hipsters, and militant belief in one post. Bravo.

Not really whining... but yeah, its a pre-coffee Monday morning post.

Mortai Gravesend:

SpAc3man:
snip

Well then you're wrong about atheism. It's just a lack of belief in a deity. All the rest is stuff besides atheism. It's not much of a concept to try and define yourself by.

I know that isn't the fundamental definition of atheism but its a principle of tolerance that is gained by rejecting not only the existence of a deity but also the negative attitudes that come with believing in an all powerful being that is higher than all life. While not always the case, religion has a rather bad track record for acceptance, tolerance and co-existence with conflicting beliefs. By rejecting religion I also reject the notion that someone who believes something different from myself is less of a person than myself. Until they prove otherwise by their personal character of course.

How can they "unbless" something when they're atheists? Shouldn't they hold atleast some spiritual belief in order to remove a blessing?

Maybe sacrificing a virgin, using his/her blood to pave the road and then pissing on the remains would do the trick. Just an idea.

Then again, I'm putting too much thought in these childish antics.

Good, religious people have no right to force their voodoo on everyone else by "blessing" a bridge.

Obviously, some folks on both sides have waaaayyy too much time on their hands.

I'll add my voice to those who wonder at the need to remove a blessing from an area that you don't believe in the efficacy of in the first place. It's kind of like wearing a garlic wreath around your neck when you don't even believe in vampires...to ward off vampires. In almost all other situations this kind of failure of logic would land one in the loony bin. In this case because it involves atheists and religion it just lands in the weird morning report section of the news.

As stated many times before, "unblessing" is a stupid act if you don't believe in "blessings" in the first place.

Moving on, it seems to be mostly harmless for now, but these are the type of things that tend to escalate, so I hope these guys start acting a bit more rationally than they have been.

I don't know what's more pointless, taking time to bless a road or going out of your way to remove that blessing... I know which is more malicious though.

Those idiots Humanists know that a Baptism etc. is symbolic right? So they've decided to scrub a road that has been 'blessed' by a deity they think is false?

Kinda missing the point.

This amuses me greatly.

SpAc3man:

Mortai Gravesend:

SpAc3man:
snip

I know that isn't the fundamental definition of atheism but its a principle of tolerance that is gained by rejecting not only the existence of a deity but also the negative attitudes that come with believing in an all powerful being that is higher than all life. While not always the case, religion has a rather bad track record for acceptance, tolerance and co-existence with conflicting beliefs. By rejecting religion I also reject the notion that someone who believes something different from myself is less of a person than myself. Until they prove otherwise by their personal character of course.

Atheism =/= not being a dick. You can be a complete ass and still believe that there is no god. Case in point, I am an Atheist, and I hate people. The religious are fucking retarded for believing in magic, while at the same time admonishing any form of magic worship that isn't theirs, while using a boogeyman to justify the atrocities they've committed. Other Atheists are stuck-up assholes who believe that, because they don't believe in magic they're instantly superior to those who do. Minorities believe that being as loud and obnoxious as possible will finally get them the respect they want. Majorities are apathetic fucks who couldn't care less. And et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I am a dick. Does that make me less of an Atheist because I'm not tolerant of what I view as bullshit?

Midway through reading that, I began whistling. I began whistling a song that many of my friends and family know, as it is a song I whistle when people just go on and on about absolute nonsense for an extended period of time.
This is the song.

"We are deeply offended by this road that was apparently blessed, even though we didn't know that it was blessed until we were informed of such. We shall show our disgust in your completely normal road by WASTING AN ENTIRE DAY BY WASHING IT! HAHA! WHADDAYA GONNA DO NOW, BEEYATCHES!?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked