Atheists "unbless" highway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

As an atheist myself, this is a waste of time.

Well, either that or they're just trolling.

GiantRaven:
Why, exactly, would an Atheist group need to try and remove something they don't believe exists? If they're trying to remove a blessing, they first have to accept the potential for there to be a blessing. Surely that makes their status as 'Atheists' null and void?

Pretty much this.

Atheism is a lack of faith, not the belief in removing religion from the world. At best these guys are trolling, at worst they're representing people who claim they are 'atheist' to be edgey and rebel.

Jamash:
They don't seem like very good Atheists if they spent all day trying to remove a blessing.

That... is an excellent point.

OT:
What is this supposed to accomplish? As far as thr Christian community is concerned, the road has been blessed. It's a done deal, you can't "unbless" (taint?) it. If the atheist community is, well, aetheist, then they don't actually think it's blessed, as Jamash pointed out. The only goal I can see here is to express that they aren't happy that religious groups are allowed to express their beliefs. If there was writing or something on the road then I understand how that could make someone uncomfortable, but merely being on a road which others feel they have sanctified? That's like saying you don't want to sit in a certain seat because someone of another faith sat there before.

wintercoat:

SpAc3man:

Mortai Gravesend:

snip

snip

Atheism =/= not being a dick. You can be a complete ass and still believe that there is no god. Case in point, I am an Atheist, and I hate people. The religious are fucking retarded for believing in magic, while at the same time admonishing any form of magic worship that isn't theirs, while using a boogeyman to justify the atrocities they've committed. Other Atheists are stuck-up assholes who believe that, because they don't believe in magic they're instantly superior to those who do. Minorities believe that being as loud and obnoxious as possible will finally get them the respect they want. Majorities are apathetic fucks who couldn't care less. And et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I am a dick. Does that make me less of an Atheist because I'm not tolerant of what I view as bullshit?

No that wasn't quite what I meant... You are right in saying its possible to be an atheist and an asshat at the same time. There is plenty of obvious evidence that shows this is true. What I am putting across is that atheism enables the rejection of intolerance and prejudice that is too often caused by religious teachings. Its a principle that I choose to stand by and hope that other people may put some thought into.

It's not about whether the blessing's real or not (it's not). It's about making a point that religions don't have the right to stake their flag wherever they want, symbolically or otherwise.

Xartyve2:
That's all it takes to remove blessings? Regular water? Any Christian who has ever showered is fucked.

This is a good point:P But honestly! They get a clean road and nothing is taken away because blessings are nonsense in the first place.
It goes like this. God does not have time to worry about the 26 000 children starving to death each year, but this road however...

Just from an outsider's standpoint, this strikes me as an incredibly Pagan thing to do. This isn't about logic or science, this is gut-level symbolism-- this is something witches would do, to remove what isn't a "blessing", but more like a cursing. The Christians aren't making the road sacred, their magic, in essence (because in the terms I see it, that's exactly what it is), is to draw a boundary to keep everything that is not them out. The Atheists are un-cursing the road, sans gods, pretty much the way a witch might.

It's kind of funny, from my point of view, two groups using magic (using symbolism and ritual to shape the world as they Will it) and neither one would ever admit it. Regardless of their view of religion, it shows that that primal level of human existence and the human mind is very real, and very important. If it weren't, they'd be willing to just shrug and chalk the "blessing" of the Christian group up to stuff and nonsense.

(I was all set to just call them assholes until I read what they were trying to undo, and how they were doing it. Atheists talk a lot about how persecuted they are, but think about it-- the Christians might be offended by this, but if we did this? I think the reaction might be a lot more ugly. We keep our public doings all about the happy and the positive, and anything like this would be done on the down-low for fear of someone actually getting hurt by scared Christians who don't like being called on working malefic magic (which some of them do quite a bit of-- what do you think "spiritual warfare" is?).

Look, if you're that atheistic, why the hell do you CARE if they baptise the road? Doesn't change anything except making the ground slightly wet. Live and let live.

Proof that some Christians and some atheists all have too much time on their hands.

DaWaffledude:
Look, if you're that atheistic, why the hell do you CARE if they baptise the road? Doesn't change anything except making the ground slightly wet. Live and let live.

The motivation for this... From the article!

"It's been an ongoing feud between the groups in the county: the atheists are also unhappy with prayer bricks PUP members buried along I-4 and various other roadway leading in to the county, engraved with Psalm 37.

"For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing," Geringswald said, reading the psalm from his Bible."

For the wicked shall be destroyed. Quite the blessing wouldn't you say? Who are the wicked? None believers? I for one thinks this is amusing, but it leads no where.

I find this hilarious, first because they think they can remove a blessing, second because they are using brooms and mops and water hoses to try and remove a blessing. I just find that incredible amusing.

Seems pretty pointless.

If some dudes recite religious crazy talk over a highway while sprinkling olive oil and burying bricks, then even acknowledging their act to have happened is far more than it deserves. Have a good laugh and be done with it.

Not everyone, but a lot of people here are completely missing the point. This isn't at all about a counter-blessing to negate the original blessing, since most atheists wouldn't believe in any supernatural phenomena like blessings and curses. This is a stunt with the intention of sending a message out to people that Polk County, and America as a whole, does not belong to Christians but belongs to everyone.

I'm not sure what Polk Under Prayer believe in exactly, whether or not they're more progressive or more traditional, but as someone who's been excluded from America because my sexuality is considered incompatible with American values by most voters and lawmakers, and even if I was living there I'd still feel like an outsider because of my irreligiousness, I very much appreciate the gesture that Humanists of Florida did, and their message of inclusiveness.

Seekster:
I find this hilarious, first because they think they can remove a blessing, second because they are using brooms and mops and water hoses to try and remove a blessing. I just find that incredible amusing.

I find it equally amusing that people actually believe that dumping some water or oil on something, and saying a few words will have some magical effect.

Both parties are ridiculous. Ah well. At least the road got a good scrubbing. Nobody likes a dirty road.

I find it very funny. The atheists here, they are funny.

The Christians here are not funny.
'"And praying for that entryway in to the city, that God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county," Geringswald said.'

Evildoers? Like homosexuals? Seriously, cigarettes or alcohol are just as bad as marijuana. Imagine I'm going to hold ceremonies to make drinkers feel unwelcome in my city. Not nice.

'Brooms, mops and water hoses in hand, the atheists gathered at the roadside.

"We come in peace .. now that's normally what aliens say when they visit a new planet, but we're not aliens, we're atheists!" Humanists of Florida director Mark Palmer shouted to the group along Highway 98.'

That's funny.

GiantRaven:
Why, exactly, would an Atheist group need to try and remove something they don't believe exists? If they're trying to remove a blessing, they first have to accept the potential for there to be a blessing. Surely that makes their status as 'Atheists' null and void?

It's not about that, it's about religious people claiming public space like their personal property. Something that's a pretty endemic problem.

This is a protest against that.

Seekster:

As opposed to holy water?

It is a symbolical act in case you missed the point.

Blablahb:
It's not about that, it's about religious people claiming public space like their personal property. Something that's a pretty endemic problem.

This is a protest against that.

So non-Christians aren't able to drive on blessed roads?

-Samurai-:

Seekster:

I find it equally amusing that people actually believe that dumping some water or oil on something, and saying a few words will have some magical effect.

Both parties are ridiculous. Ah well. At least the road got a good scrubbing. Nobody likes a dirty road.

Its debated whether it would make any difference at all and there is nothing magical about it.

Ill agree the whole "blessing a highway" thing is ridiculous but even if blessing a highway does something I can guarantee you that using brooms and mops wouldnt do anything to remove the blessing (again even if it did anything which is debated even among Christians).

Sooo, they washed that road to undo a symbolical blessing of a deity they don't even believe in?
Sound like too much work just to make yourselves heard (and be promptly dismissed as a bunch of crazy people with too much time on their hands). *sigh* There are better ways to make a point that screaming "We are not aliens". Also, it's a terrible waste of valuable water :)

Captcha: get your goat! Priceless

Rastelin:

Seekster:

As opposed to holy water?

It is a symbolical act in case you missed the point.

A lot of Christians (including most Protestants) believe blessing with Holy Water or just blessing at all is more symbolic than anything else. Most protestants for example see baptism as purely symbolic and its more of a way to say to the community that you have accepted Jesus as your savior.

GiantRaven:

Sure, but they can be destroyed according to Psalm 37. The blessing is a violation of public safety regulations.
Unless they are willing to admit that the blessings are total nonsense and no danger at all.

GiantRaven:

It's not about that, it's about religious people claiming public space like their personal property.

On a second note. As most here seem to agree that the blessing was rather silly, I think the atheists did a community service by scrubbing the road clean. I doubt the theists had that much holy water with them.

Blablahb:

GiantRaven:

It's not about that, it's about religious people claiming public space like their personal property.

Its not claiming a public space.

When the KKK "adopted a highway" it didnt make it theirs. (that was a fun controversy btw: yeah they legally can but still do we really want a sign on the side of the road saying the highway is adopted by the Klan?)

Rastelin:
On a second note. As most here seem to agree that the blessing was rather silly, I think the atheists did a community service by scrubbing the road clean. I doubt the theists had that much holy water with them.

Really there wasnt a street in a nearby slum that needed cleaning? How about a local park?

I think both are silly here though for different reasons.

Seekster:

Really there wasnt a street in a nearby slum that needed cleaning? How about a local park?

Yes I am sure it was, which was in more need of a blessing don't you think?
But yes this whole affair is silly.

Rastelin:

Seekster:

Yes I am sure it was, which was in more need of a blessing don't you think?

But yes this hole affair is silly.

Well if this religious group is anything like the ones I am familiar with chances are they blessed the highway and then had a potluck and that has got to count for something.

But yeah the whole affair is pretty silly. Its nice to have a pretty lighthearted topic every now and then.

Seekster:

-Samurai-:

Seekster:

Its debated whether it would make any difference at all and there is nothing magical about it.

Ill agree the whole "blessing a highway" thing is ridiculous but even if blessing a highway does something I can guarantee you that using brooms and mops wouldnt do anything to remove the blessing (again even if it did anything which is debated even among Christians).

They'd probably have to play Demystify, but it would get hit with a Cancel, which would be met with a Negate, which would be then hit by a Redirect that would redirect Negate to Demystify, and then there'd be a huge argument about the stack and how it works in that instance.

Oh, Magic The Gathering, is there any place you don't belong?
Had to go back and do an edit. I always forget that Nevermore is an enchantment, not an instant.

Abandon4093:

Jegsimmons:
hey, atheist, ever feel unwelcome in a christian majority community?
its because some of you pull shit like this.

See.... now this is what we get. People acting as if this is a common occurrence.

I mean seriously, when is the last time you ever heard of anything like this happening? You don't want us atheists lumping all you theists in the same lot as the westborough baptist church and 'eat da poo poo' man. Then kindly don't affiliate us normal atheists with these morons.

Even some of us.

first of all, im not lumping you all together, or im not trying to make it seem that way.
and this stuff (the article) is becoming more of a common occurring actually.
want me list a few examples where a group of atheist went batshit over literally nothing because it had christian imagery?
Because i can name a few off the top of my head.

im not saying all theist are better (every group has dumb-asses), but i find it hard to sympathize with certain groups of non-theist saying they're feeling unwelcome in a community when they go out of their way to spite that community.

Mortai Gravesend:

Jegsimmons:

Oh look, someone who didn't stop to think for 2 seconds that maybe they were reacting to feeling unwelcome.

Yeah, that's bullshit, you have cause and effect backwards.

no i have it straight. some group decided to bless a road because they felt it was a good idea.

"And praying for that entryway in to the city, that God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county," Geringswald said.

But Humanists of Florida members don't see it that way. They say it makes them feel unwelcome.

"It sends a very bad signal to everyone in Polk County, and (anyone) who travels through Polk county who doesn't happen to be Christian," Palmer said, "This event is not about atheist rights; this is about welcoming everybody into Polk county."

besides the fact it was a blessing to keep out evildoers such as drug dealers and what not, it seemed to be sort of a blessing on the whole community.
But NOOOOOOOooooooooo this group of anti-theist had to take offense to something that doesn't hurt them in anyway what so ever and try to spin it as if it was against them.
hey, guess what, blessing can be given across religions and beliefs! its a sign of respect. Even if you dont believe it, just take the mother fucking complement.
thats why i take offense to it. they might as well spit in the face of the next person who says "Have a nice day!"

this was just to be rude and spiteful. and all it does is hurt how the community portrays them because they never learned about the pot calling the teakettle black.

I mean really?!? They spend their time scrubbing a highway? Isn't there better things they could be doing to make people more tolerant of non-Christians?

Rastelin:

it was a double waste of time since government workers drive these street sweepers and drive around during the worst hours of the morning cleaning the streets with "unholy water" and big ass broom/mop pads underneath the vehicle. things are powerful as hell to they can rip the flesh off a human being in seconds.

Jegsimmons:

Abandon4093:

Jegsimmons:

See.... now this is what we get. People acting as if this is a common occurrence.

I mean seriously, when is the last time you ever heard of anything like this happening? You don't want us atheists lumping all you theists in the same lot as the westborough baptist church and 'eat da poo poo' man. Then kindly don't affiliate us normal atheists with these morons.

Even some of us.

first of all, im not lumping you all together, or im not trying to make it seem that way.
and this stuff (the article) is becoming more of a common occurring actually.
want me list a few examples where a group of atheist went batshit over literally nothing because it had christian imagery?
Because i can name a few off the top of my head.

im not saying all theist are better (every group has dumb-asses), but i find it hard to sympathize with certain groups of non-theist saying they're feeling unwelcome in a community when they go out of their way to spite that community.

You may want to adress the way you worded your post the.

And yea. I'd like you to name them. I'm not denying there are enough idiots doing public things under the guise of atheism. But don't go acting like it's a common occurrence or anything like that.

Seekster:

Oh yes it is. A highway is a public space, and it was being claimed by conducting religious rituals there and throwing some 'blessing' on anyone there even if they don't care in the least.

In a country already stuffed full of religious harassment, quite a relevant matter.

Blablahb:

Seekster:

Oh yes it is. A highway is a public space, and it was being claimed by conducting religious rituals there and throwing some 'blessing' on anyone there even if they don't care in the least.

In a country already stuffed full of religious harassment, quite a relevant matter.

As usual you are stretching things. It is the equivalent of you sneezing and me saying "God Bless" and you objecting on the grounds that I making a claim on your body and health. Or someone saying "Have a nice day" and you saying that they are making a claim on your time and destiny.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked