Atheists "unbless" highway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Nielas:
As usual you are stretching things. It is the equivalent of you sneezing and me saying "God Bless" and you objecting on the grounds that I making a claim on your body and health.

Say 'god is dead' after a Christian sneezes, and watch the melodrama unfold...

Perhaps this can shed some light on the reactions of some non believers when religious figures are treating their community as everyone believed in their god by default.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/151241/10_scariest_states_to_be_an_atheist/?page=entire

A sort of "enough is enough". Just a though.

Blablahb:

Seekster:
Its not claiming a public space.

Oh yes it is. A highway is a public space, and it was being claimed by conducting religious rituals there and throwing some 'blessing' on anyone there even if they don't care in the least.

In a country already stuffed full of religious harassment, quite a relevant matter.

You are aware that its not uncommon for a local church to conduct Baptisms in a river right? That doesnt mean they own the river.

I think you are just wrong about what exactly qualifies as owning something.

Look at it this way, its public property so its owned by all the tax payers and unlike OWS, this group blessing the road isnt going to prevent others from using that piece of public property.

Nielas:

Blablahb:

Seekster:
Its not claiming a public space.

Oh yes it is. A highway is a public space, and it was being claimed by conducting religious rituals there and throwing some 'blessing' on anyone there even if they don't care in the least.

In a country already stuffed full of religious harassment, quite a relevant matter.

As usual you are stretching things. It is the equivalent of you sneezing and me saying "God Bless" and you objecting on the grounds that I making a claim on your body and health. Or someone saying "Have a nice day" and you saying that they are making a claim on your time and destiny.

Or how "goodbye" is actually a contraction of "God be with ye"

They strike me as foolish people deliberately trying to be jerks. Not much else to be said.

Jegsimmons:

Mortai Gravesend:

Jegsimmons:
hey, atheist, ever feel unwelcome in a christian majority community?
its because some of you pull shit like this.

Oh look, someone who didn't stop to think for 2 seconds that maybe they were reacting to feeling unwelcome.

Yeah, that's bullshit, you have cause and effect backwards.

no i have it straight. some group decided to bless a road because they felt it was a good idea.

"And praying for that entryway in to the city, that God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county," Geringswald said.

But Humanists of Florida members don't see it that way. They say it makes them feel unwelcome.

"It sends a very bad signal to everyone in Polk County, and (anyone) who travels through Polk county who doesn't happen to be Christian," Palmer said, "This event is not about atheist rights; this is about welcoming everybody into Polk county."

besides the fact it was a blessing to keep out evildoers such as drug dealers and what not, it seemed to be sort of a blessing on the whole community.
But NOOOOOOOooooooooo this group of anti-theist had to take offense to something that doesn't hurt them in anyway what so ever and try to spin it as if it was against them.
hey, guess what, blessing can be given across religions and beliefs! its a sign of respect. Even if you dont believe it, just take the mother fucking complement.
thats why i take offense to it. they might as well spit in the face of the next person who says "Have a nice day!"

Oh, does your fake god command selective reading? Let's ignore what the bricks said, that would be too inconvenient.

Also the 'removing' the blessing hurts no one. And there was no need for spin with that message on the bricks.

Context dude, the blessing + bricks sure don't look like a sign of respect. You're just bullshitting this as a sign of respect because you're religious.

I'd spit in the face of the person who said "For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing." The implications are obvious.

this was just to be rude and spiteful. and all it does is hurt how the community portrays them because they never learned about the pot calling the teakettle black.

Nah, this just shows that you can't see past your bias for religion.

Abandon4093:

Jegsimmons:

Abandon4093:

See.... now this is what we get. People acting as if this is a common occurrence.

I mean seriously, when is the last time you ever heard of anything like this happening? You don't want us atheists lumping all you theists in the same lot as the westborough baptist church and 'eat da poo poo' man. Then kindly don't affiliate us normal atheists with these morons.

Even some of us.

first of all, im not lumping you all together, or im not trying to make it seem that way.
and this stuff (the article) is becoming more of a common occurring actually.
want me list a few examples where a group of atheist went batshit over literally nothing because it had christian imagery?
Because i can name a few off the top of my head.

im not saying all theist are better (every group has dumb-asses), but i find it hard to sympathize with certain groups of non-theist saying they're feeling unwelcome in a community when they go out of their way to spite that community.

You may want to adress the way you worded your post the.

And yea. I'd like you to name them. I'm not denying there are enough idiots doing public things under the guise of atheism. But don't go acting like it's a common occurrence or anything like that.

well the top 2 that come to mind is that one group who wants or wanted the 9/11 cross removed from the 9/11 museum, even though its significant to what some people found comfort in, even if it is just wreckage.
The other was just a month or two ago when another group wanted a 50+ year old statue of jesus removed from a park, even though its there because ww2 troops brought it back, or something like that.

thats just the 2 from on the top of my head.

and, before anything else, my apologies, sometimes my wording in post are all over the place.

Mortai Gravesend:

Jegsimmons:

Mortai Gravesend:

Oh look, someone who didn't stop to think for 2 seconds that maybe they were reacting to feeling unwelcome.

Yeah, that's bullshit, you have cause and effect backwards.

no i have it straight. some group decided to bless a road because they felt it was a good idea.

"And praying for that entryway in to the city, that God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county," Geringswald said.

But Humanists of Florida members don't see it that way. They say it makes them feel unwelcome.

"It sends a very bad signal to everyone in Polk County, and (anyone) who travels through Polk county who doesn't happen to be Christian," Palmer said, "This event is not about atheist rights; this is about welcoming everybody into Polk county."

besides the fact it was a blessing to keep out evildoers such as drug dealers and what not, it seemed to be sort of a blessing on the whole community.
But NOOOOOOOooooooooo this group of anti-theist had to take offense to something that doesn't hurt them in anyway what so ever and try to spin it as if it was against them.
hey, guess what, blessing can be given across religions and beliefs! its a sign of respect. Even if you dont believe it, just take the mother fucking complement.
thats why i take offense to it. they might as well spit in the face of the next person who says "Have a nice day!"

Oh, does your fake god command selective reading? Let's ignore what the bricks said, that would be too inconvenient.

Also the 'removing' the blessing hurts no one. And there was no need for spin with that message on the bricks.

Context dude, the blessing + bricks sure don't look like a sign of respect. You're just bullshitting this as a sign of respect because you're religious.

I'd spit in the face of the person who said "For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing." The implications are obvious.

this was just to be rude and spiteful. and all it does is hurt how the community portrays them because they never learned about the pot calling the teakettle black.

and with those remarks, i am done arguing with the likes of you.

Jegsimmons:

Mortai Gravesend:

Jegsimmons:

You mean people who can see the bloody obvious reason people would take offense at "For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing."? Well that's not a surprise, you can't win if you try to argue with people who notice things like that.

Jegsimmons:

Abandon4093:

Jegsimmons:

first of all, im not lumping you all together, or im not trying to make it seem that way.
and this stuff (the article) is becoming more of a common occurring actually.
want me list a few examples where a group of atheist went batshit over literally nothing because it had christian imagery?
Because i can name a few off the top of my head.

im not saying all theist are better (every group has dumb-asses), but i find it hard to sympathize with certain groups of non-theist saying they're feeling unwelcome in a community when they go out of their way to spite that community.

And yea. I'd like you to name them. I'm not denying there are enough idiots doing public things under the guise of atheism. But don't go acting like it's a common occurrence or anything like that.

well the top 2 that come to mind is that one group who wants or wanted the 9/11 cross removed from the 9/11 museum, even though its significant to what some people found comfort in, even if it is just wreckage.
The other was just a month or two ago when another group wanted a 50+ year old statue of jesus removed from a park, even though its there because ww2 troops brought it back, or something like that.

and, before anything else, my apologies, sometimes my wording in post are all over the place.

I wouldn't say either of those are bad. You may not agree with them, but they're hardly doing anything offensive. They're just making their opinions known, they're not trying to antagonise theists by ceremoniously cleansing a place of a blessing or anything.

I don't think you have any idea how unwelcoming it is to be constantly bombarded with religious iconology that you yourself don't buy into. Atheists aren't going to churches and demanding you take down your symbols etc. But in places that are meant to be for everyone, to have religious symbols like crosses or images of Jesus etc. It can feel very unwelcoming.

You have to remember that yours is not the only faith. Parading it in supposedly secular areas can ostracise those who don't share your beliefs.

Although I personally don't get offended by things like that, I can totally see where some of these people are coming from. It's like when atheists are accused of being immoral because they don't have a faith. As if morality and goodwill are exclusively religious territory.

And even though I seriously hate the approach these anti-theists took with the blessing. It was put there to ceremoniously ostracise people the church deemed unworthy. I'm sure that can feel like a personal slight to some people. Personally I'd tell them to get over it because it's just a bit of water and some words. Certainly nothing worth even acknowledging, let alone going out of your way to protest.

Basically what I'm saying is that you sometimes have to look at things from other peoples perspectives. Yours is not the only faith, your country is a melting pot of faiths, cultures and ideals.

Jegsimmons:

I think there's definitely a good argument to be made for not tacking the obvious western religious symbol over what was a pretty bad religiously motivated attack, not least because it doesn't represent all the victims and will just add weight to the notion that this is a clash of different religions.

Also, crossed beams? In a skyscraper? It is more likely than you think - but that doesn't stop some people thinking one particular pair of ripped girders is significant. A cross is hardly a complex shape.

Hmm. It's an interesting way of protesting, at least. Though the way people in this thread are talking about the atheist group, they may as well have taken a shit in the head pastor's favorite teacup. The religious group put their message on public land. The atheists found that message offensive, so they held a tongue-in-cheek ceremony remove it. The result is that the road is cleaner and two groups gave up their time and materials for nothing. Overall, not a big deal. Yet people have to get all pissy about it.

It seems to be mostly a publicity stunt by the atheists. Makes them look silly, but then again, so does blessing a road, and as far as I'm concerned both groups have the right to do it as long as they don't disturb the traffic or do anything illegal.

What's the deal with the bricks? Are they visible? If they aren't, who cares?

Revnak:

KRAKENDIE:

Revnak:

To be fair, pentecostals (this group included) think things like this are symbolic. Older denominations believe in the power of holy relics. And really, who doesn't impose their beliefs on the public? This forum is public, and you're imposing your beliefs on me. I never understood that argument.

A forum is a sanctioned center for expressing beliefs. A bridge isn't.

And yet I can probably still get yelled at if I try to evangelize here about how I should stop forcing my beliefs down other people's throats (and yes I know this applies to atheists as well, or any other view on religion). Yet any other kinds of views are totally fair game. Personally, I don't buy it. I think you don't really believe something until you're willing to argue that you're right.

I don't think you would, as long as it was in the right Forum. Don't get me wrong. My official stand on the matter is, and I quote, "I say let the war continue. All this condescending 'coexist' drivel is putting me on edge."

"For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing,"

Hmm. I see what they're getting at. I mean, the ceremony performed by this Christian group is quite strongly divisive.
But I don't think I would've gone with this. It's so silly. Granted, that's kind of their message in regards to the ritual performed earlier, but still.
Just put up a sign or something, saying that the folk in Polk welcomes everybody, even those who do not buy into the specific deity those Christians believe in, that no, you don't need to trust in their god to be given the blessings, the friendship and welcome of the people of the county.
Maybe they could even get some moderate Christians and other non-Christians to help with the sign, those people that are not in favour of this divisiveness. Don't stoop to their level.
Do something positive, something welcoming instead.

Kendarik:
They strike me as foolish people deliberately trying to be jerks. Not much else to be said.

Yeah, how dare atheists exist and even... *gasp* demand the civil rights that all other people have.

Before long those infidels will be claiming the US is a secular country and you can't just go around forcing your religion onto people by acting like you own the place just because you attend church.

idarkphoenixi:
Good, religious people have no right to force their voodoo on everyone else by "blessing" a bridge.

how are they forcing their "voodoo" on everyone else? if I say bless you then am I forcing my beliefs on you?

Skeleon:
"For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing,"

Hmm. I see what they're getting at. I mean, the ceremony performed by this Christian group is quite strongly divisive.
But I don't think I would've gone with this. It's so silly. Granted, that's kind of their message in regards to the ritual performed earlier, but still.
Just put up a sign or something, saying that the folk in Polk welcomes everybody, even those who do not buy into the specific deity those Christians believe in, that no, you don't need to trust in their god to be given the blessings, the friendship and welcome of the people of the county.
Maybe they could even get some moderate Christians and other non-Christians to help with the sign, those people that are not in favour of this divisiveness. Don't stoop to their level.

that phrase is written prayer bricks (no i dont know what the fuck those are) which are buried next to the freeway. so i have no idea even why those are being brought up in this issue. but other then that i agree with what you're saying.

Blablahb:

Kendarik:

Yeah, how dare atheists exist and even... *gasp* demand the civil rights that all other people have.

Before long those infidels will be claiming the US is a secular country and you can't just go around forcing your religion onto people by acting like you own the place just because you attend church.

This isn't a civil rights issue. People in the church doing something that is unwelcoming to others isn't a matter of civil rights. I can see why they'd object to the blessing, but I do not see civil rights coming into this at all.

keiskay:

Skeleon:

that phrase is written prayer bricks (no i dont know what the fuck those are) which are buried next to the freeway. so i have no idea even why those are being brought up in this issue. but other then that i agree with what you're saying.

They're being brought up to show the kind of attitude these people have about the whole thing. A blessing hoping to keep people out is kind of vague, throw in the prayer bricks and it seems a bit more clear the kind of people they want coming in.

Mortai Gravesend:

keiskay:

Skeleon:

They're being brought up to show the kind of attitude these people have about the whole thing. A blessing hoping to keep people out is kind of vague, throw in the prayer bricks and it seems a bit more clear the kind of people they want coming in.

and their attitude is of pure blind ignorance, they mean no harm by what they are doing. their intentions are good but horribly executed, this goes for both sides on this issue. yes they used the worst possible verse from pslams 32( 23?) possible but whatever, im not gonna throw a fit about someone's stupidity and ignorance.

keiskay:

Mortai Gravesend:

keiskay:

and their attitude is of pure blind ignorance, they mean no harm by what they are doing. their intentions are good but horribly executed, this goes for both sides on this issue. yes they used the worst possible verse from pslams 32( 23?) possible but whatever, im not gonna throw a fit about someone's stupidity and ignorance.

Erm, you're just making an assumption that they didn't actually pick it on purpose knowing the exact implications of it. I'd think the default assumption is that people are smart enough to know the message they're sending there.

Mortai Gravesend:

keiskay:

Mortai Gravesend:

Erm, you're just making an assumption that they didn't actually pick it on purpose knowing the exact implications of it. I'd think the default assumption is that people are smart enough to know the message they're sending there.

i have to disagree people generally dont calculate every possible outcome of their actions. they probably believed that what they were doing was a good thing to do. the group even said they did it to try and keep criminals out of the area. but what they thought was for themselves purely, and they didn't consider the beliefs of others in the county. they were and are ignorant.

now let us agree to disagree since we are now in purely subjective territory on this matter since neither of us know the true intents of PUP or the humanist of polk county.

keiskay:

Basically what Mortai Gravesend said. They picked these verses that basically divide passers-by (and citizens of the county, mind) into two groups: Believers in their group's particular god who will be welcomed and everybody else who will not be (and that's the most charitable interpretation). They may not even be malicious in this, but they are clearly very divisive and unwelcoming in their message, not just to "drug dealers" but to everybody who does not fit their narrow category. These prayer bricks (I'm guessing they are ritualistic slabs of stone that are meant to "guard" the street even long after the ritual or some such; folks, correct me on this if I'm wrong) just reinforce the notion. I can fully understand the motivation behind the Humanist group in question here, not to want to let something as negative as that stand unchallenged. But as I said, I think a more positive way to challenge it should've been used on the Humanists' part, rather than a publicity stunt like that.

EDIT:

keiskay:
and i agree with you like i said. i think both groups mean good but are executing it horribly.

Eh, I'm just writing it out like that because you seemed to deem the prayer stones irrelevant. I think they matter as indicators for the Christian group's motivations here and to help understand the Humanists' response. But other than that, yeah, I guess we reached agreement.

Skeleon:

keiskay:

Basically what Mortai Gravesend said. They picked these verses that basically divide passers-by (and citizens of the county, mind) into two groups: Believers in their group's particular god who will be welcomed and everybody else who will not be (and that's the most charitable interpretation). They may not even be malicious in this, but they are clearly very divisive and unwelcoming in their message, not just to "drug dealers" but to everybody who does not fit their narrow category. These prayer bricks (I'm guessing they are ritualistic slabs of stone that are meant to "guard" the street even long after the ritual or some such; folks, correct me on this if I'm wrong) just reinforce the notion. I can fully understand the motivation behind the Humanist group in question here, not to want to let something as negative as that stand unchallenged. But as I said, I think a more positive way to challenge it should've been used on the Humanists' part, rather than a publicity stunt like that.

and i agree with you like i said. i think both groups mean good but are executing it horribly.

Unblessing a road is only as silly as blessing it. Frankly, I see no problem with either group's silliness, though the implication that some Christian blessing will deter drug dealers is perhaps a bit more silly, and also nicely undercut by the large number of Christians in US prisons.

LOL you can do that?

>Goes out to unbaptise some people)

Seanchaidh:
Unblessing a road is only as silly as blessing it. Frankly, I see no problem with either group's silliness, though the implication that some Christian blessing will deter drug dealers is perhaps a bit more silly, and also nicely undercut by the large number of Christians in US prisons.

not surprisingly really considering only 3% of the US population is atheist. thats like saying white people are more peaceful cause there isnt many of them in a Chinese or Indian prison.

I kind of think both groups are being rather stupid, but I like that they are symbolically-and apparently, literally-cleaning off the religious-ness of it. Not being religious myself, I can certainly understand how intolerant the Christian faith can be so making things fair for all is a plus in my book.

Mortai Gravesend:

Jegsimmons:

Mortai Gravesend:

You mean people who can see the bloody obvious reason people would take offense at "For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing."? Well that's not a surprise, you can't win if you try to argue with people who notice things like that.

nope, rude people who insult another's belief and are just plain spiteful. Its one thing to have a different view, its another to be rude and say the worship in a 'fake god'.

Jegsimmons:

Mortai Gravesend:

Jegsimmons:

nope, rude people who insult another's belief and are just plain spiteful. Its one thing to have a different view, its another to be rude and say the worship in a 'fake god'.

It's not very nice to have rather dishonest selective reading either, yet you apparently felt the need for it. Ignoring the part that makes the intentions of the religious group in question somewhat more obvious is pretty annoying.

Abandon4093:

Jegsimmons:

Abandon4093:

I wouldn't say either of those are bad. You may not agree with them, but they're hardly doing anything offensive. They're just making their opinions known, they're not trying to antagonise theists by ceremoniously cleansing a place of a blessing or anything.

I don't think you have any idea how unwelcoming it is to be constantly bombarded with religious iconology that you yourself don't buy into. Atheists aren't going to churches and demanding you take down your symbols etc. But in places that are meant to be for everyone, to have religious symbols like crosses or images of Jesus etc. It can feel very unwelcoming.

You have to remember that yours is not the only faith. Parading it in supposedly secular areas can ostracise those who don't share your beliefs.

Although I personally don't get offended by things like that, I can totally see where some of these people are coming from. It's like when atheists are accused of being immoral because they don't have a faith. As if morality and goodwill are exclusively religious territory.

And even though I seriously hate the approach these anti-theists took with the blessing. It was put there to ceremoniously ostracise people the church deemed unworthy. I'm sure that can feel like a personal slight to some people. Personally I'd tell them to get over it because it's just a bit of water and some words. Certainly nothing worth even acknowledging, let alone going out of your way to protest.

Basically what I'm saying is that you sometimes have to look at things from other peoples perspectives. Yours is not the only faith, your country is a melting pot of faiths, cultures and ideals.

I know how one may not feel very welcome with all the imagery, (look at what theist have to put up with on the internet) , but i think that its blown a bit out of proportion. ive been to jewish heavy areas and i just went with it. am i jewish? nope. Did i feel unwelcome because i was in the minority? of course not. I wanted to experience a different culture.
Now i can see how it can be dealing with the hardcore assholes who are all "repent or burn!" (hell, try being a protestant in a catholic community, shit can get ugly)

But i think 'unblessing' a road is the worst way to solve that problem. maby getting more involved with some of the group leaders to show tolerance. isnt there an organization for that kind of stuff?

Oirish_Martin:

Jegsimmons:

I think there's definitely a good argument to be made for not tacking the obvious western religious symbol over what was a pretty bad religiously motivated attack, not least because it doesn't represent all the victims and will just add weight to the notion that this is a clash of different religions.

Also, crossed beams? In a skyscraper? It is more likely than you think - but that doesn't stop some people thinking one particular pair of ripped girders is significant. A cross is hardly a complex shape.

well yeah, but did they really need to have a big friggin deal over it? just let them have it. it wasnt bothering anyone!

Jegsimmons:

Abandon4093:

Jegsimmons:

I know how one may not feel very welcome with all the imagery, (look at what theist have to put up with on the internet) , but i think that its blown a bit out of proportion. ive been to jewish heavy areas and i just went with it. am i jewish? nope. Did i feel unwelcome because i was in the minority? of course not. I wanted to experience a different culture.
Now i can see how it can be dealing with the hardcore assholes who are all "repent or burn!" (hell, try being a protestant in a catholic community, shit can get ugly)

But i think 'unblessing' a road is the worst way to solve that problem. maby getting more involved with some of the group leaders to show tolerance. isnt there an organization for that kind of stuff?

I suppose you can't claim that without walking a mile in their shoes.

I know I'd feel very uncomfortable living in some parts of America because of their opinions of anyone who isn't Christian.

Religion isn't really all that big of a deal here in the UK. Sure there's still religious tension here and there. And we've got more than our fair share of ignorant bigots. But on the whole, a persons religion is a very small part of our social glue. I doubt most of the people I meet either know or care that I'm an atheists, and I mostly don't know or care what religion they do or don't follow.

It's a relatively small part of our identity.

But in America it seems to be a massive part. A white American is just expected to be Christian. And it comes as a shock to a lot of people if they're not. That's what leads to the majority just assuming that people won't mind them bringing their religious ceremonies and symbols out into the streets. I can understand that mind set rubbing a lot of atheists (and people of other religions) the wrong way.

Chevalier noir:

Lucem712:
What? Scrub a highway? What's gonna stop them from just pourin' more holy water on it? Face/palm for both of these groups. No offense, just seems kind of silly.

This needs to be settled, holy water vs unholy water super soaker fight. Each team must consist of teenage girls in white T-shirts, the Christians can have a little cross on theirs.

I will judge. :D

Also, the captchas are advertisements now? Really? I guess I could go for some little ceasars.....

I think we can all agree upon that as an acceptable solution.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked