How is this let into schools

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

video today on failblog of a highschool assembly in iowa

for those too lazy to watch its basically a guy talking to the kids about how being gay is a choice and its bad. how the hell is that allowed in a school.

inb4 its iowa duh

"In 1973 it was a mental illness, now what are they teaching you?"

That bigotry is bad and accepting your friends and family for who they are is good? CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD! ELEVATE THE TERROR LEVEL!

Educated Guess - He's a private performer. He is probably funded by some religious entity. This is his job. It is a part of a school's role to educate the children that reside in it. The school board, or perhaps the principal had decided that this private performer is worth the money and should educate his students.
How is this allowed? Pluralism, man. Pretty much it. Unless someone bleedin' proves to these bible clutching 'educators' that being gay is something which is determined in your genes and your brain chemistry - not by choice, then this will continue. I think that there are already tests trying to prove this theory being ran as I type this.
Oh, man, he also dropped in an anti-abortion bit.
Yep, up until the 50s, Gayness in the UK was punishable by a prison sentence or chemical castration. And up untll the 1870s we could all trade slaves equally too! What about that love?

Well, apparently, this group came to the school years ago, and when they returned a few weeks ago, they "changed and misrepresented its total message going into [the] appearance." The superintendent apologized publicly after the assembly, and tried to make the best of it. So take it as you will, but I don't believe it was intentional. Excuses or no, anyone in charge of bringing them should have done their homework. Had they, they would have found that this group (Junkyard Prophet) is part of a SPLC certified hate-group. Anyways, it's really too late to point fingers; the damage has been done, and I don't think that administration is going to make the same mistake twice.

Source

They don't tell the schools that they're going to suddely go off about this stuff they believe they're doing the right thing by forcing what they believe down these kids throats by mixing it in with things they want to hear.

Zaleznikel:
Well, apparently, this group came to the school years ago, and when they returned a few weeks ago, they "changed and misrepresented its total message going into [the] appearance." The superintendent apologized publicly after the assembly, and tried to make the best of it. So take it as you will, but I don't believe it was intentional. Excuses or no, anyone in charge of bringing them should have done their homework. Had they, they would have found that this group (Junkyard Prophet) is part of a SPLC certified hate-group. Anyways, it's really too late to point fingers; the damage has been done, and I don't think that administration is going to make the same mistake twice.

Source

Fuck me that article is all kinds of anger inducing. Hopefully this will spread and 'Junkyard Prophet' will get no more work at public schools.

Oh who the hell am I kidding. Word will spread and the evangelical schoolboards will be clamouring for them to come visit and preach their special blend of scum.

Aaaaaaand this is why religion should not be allowed in schools! Seriously, in Ireland you could not be admitted into a school without being baptized.

I love how when religious people think gay they think SEX SEX SEX! and love isn't even a factor.

Religion itself should never of been allowed in politics in the first place.

People in that video are so passive... Nobody even boo'd him. Why do they just stand there and let the guy insult them?

Don't forget to flag the guy's videos as hatespeech so youtube will eventually ban him.

Amnestic:
"In 1973 it was a mental illness, now what are they teaching you?"

That bigotry is bad and accepting your friends and family for who they are is good? CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD! ELEVATE THE TERROR LEVEL!

How exactly is it bigotry?

TizzytheTormentor:

Why not? Why should only people who don't have religion in their life be given a voice?

Blablahb:
People in that video are so passive... Nobody even boo'd him. Why do they just stand there and let the guy insult them?

It says in the article Zaleznikel found that when people spoke out against they were shouted down. I'd presume this was after that.

I bet that "42 year life span" study isn't much yougner than the performer quoting it.

It would be interesting to know whether this assembly was forced on the students ("11 am, everybody's gotta be there, hurry up!") or if the folks there showed up voluntarily. Because if it's the former, there is a serious fucking problem there. I as the dean of a school would not allow such an assembly in the first place (next week: listen to a Klan member), but if it's happening, it at least cannot be mandatory.

EDIT: Ah, thanks for the article! Yes, that changes things quite a bit.

Love stops destruction in somebody's life? Well, yeah. But the destruction headed towards homosexuals comes not from their actions but from the actions of bigots like him and worse. It's sad to see somebody so young be so hateful, because much of my hope for the future stems from the fact that the old hatreds dies off as the old are replaced with the young. And I know he's an exception among the younger generations and it shouldn't worry me, but still. The changes in attitude are always underway, but people like him might hamper them significantly

Zaleznikel:

That's exactly what I suspected, since I've repeatedly read of Dominionists using this technique in the past. Although usually it's "we're going to educate kids why drug use is bad" and then it becomes a "be saved!" born-again sermon in actuality, I haven't heard the anti-LGBT angle before this.

But yeah, it happens because these people lie their head off about what they're going to do, and when it becomes obvious what they're actually doing the school (usually) isn't willing to charge out and stop it. Same way they lie about what they're going to do at booths at county fairs and other local events-- instead of simply providing info on their church, they'll often go to competing booths (for liberal or non-Christian religious groups) and attempt to preach at them or use phony baloney "lie detector" devices to trick people into thinking they can prove how they're sinning and need God in their lives. It's a small segment of Christianity that engages in behavior like this, but they can be really damaging.

Blablahb:

Probably surprise/astonishment. That and a fear of being the first to boo-- given the area, I wouldn't be surprised if someone booing would be really badly bullied for it.

Don't forget to flag the guy's videos as hatespeech so youtube will eventually ban him.

TY for the reminder. Reported.

I "loved" the implication that since Elton John is gay, he's therefore also a pedophile. "Would you let your son or daughter stay overnight at Elton's?" - well, my daughter would probably be safe as houses, don't you think, seeing as "Elton John" is to "young girl" as fish is to bicycle?

Anyway, that fine bit of education was nothing but fresh-from-the-arse "statistics" and myopic cultural ramblings.

Volf:

TizzytheTormentor:

Why not? Why should only people who don't have religion in their life be given a voice?

Would you think that a rabid conspiracy theorist who was utterly convinced that jews control the media, the moon landings were a hoax, and that aliens abduct him regularly to discuss the latest episode of Eastenders to be a suitable candidate for political office? Or would those fucking batshit crazy ideas, and the fact that he possesses the mental characteristics necessary to accept such lunacy as fact, give you pause?

I would like to know what school this was. Growing up in Catholic School I wonder if it may be one as well. Since its private the school must of had something to do with it. Had it been just a student he has every right because of freedom of speech.

oh the heckling this man would have been subjected to had he come to my school.

Zack Alklazaris:
I would like to know what school this was. Growing up in Catholic School I wonder if it may be one as well. Since its private the school must of had something to do with it. Had it been just a student he has every right because of freedom of speech.

why is it everyone assumes free speech = say whatever you want where ever you want with no consequences. well technically you are right, a student would have the right to say that stuff, just like the school would have the right to throw him out. hate speech and fighting words do not equal free speech. its a quirk in how the US follows the constitution, they only apply it when they want.

Blablahb:

That's what disturbed me the most, actually. I don't know how your school experience was, but I do remember me and my classmates going on rampages after shit like this. Hell, when I was 10, we reduced a teacher to tears because he was usually blaming the only black kid for stuff the entire class was guilty of.

I don't know what age these kids are, but it says high school so I'm gonna go with 13-16? That man would have been ripped apart at my old school.

And yet, these kids seem way, way too passive. Did I just go to really weird schools, or am I right in finding all this a bit chilling?

reonhato:

Zack Alklazaris:

why is it everyone assumes free speech = say whatever you want where ever you want with no consequences. well technically you are right, a student would have the right to say that stuff, just like the school would have the right to throw him out. hate speech and fighting words do not equal free speech. its a quirk in how the US follows the constitution, they only apply it when they want.

I don't have the chance to watch the video, but if he's just saying the usual gay is a disease and I have the cure its not hate speech. Being called a fag and having people say they can't wait to see you burn in hell is harassment. One is a threat the other is a opinion.

Look I'm not saying they are right I'm just saying its not harassment. Believe me I've been called enough things in school to really wish those people would get kicked out, but this is America. The wise and the ignorant have just as much right to voice their opinion.

TheIronRuler:
Educated Guess - He's a private performer. He is probably funded by some religious entity. This is his job. It is a part of a school's role to educate the children that reside in it. The school board, or perhaps the principal had decided that this private performer is worth the money and should educate his students.
How is this allowed? Pluralism, man. Pretty much it. Unless someone bleedin' proves to these bible clutching 'educators' that being gay is something which is determined in your genes and your brain chemistry - not by choice, then this will continue. I think that there are already tests trying to prove this theory being ran as I type this.

Given evangelical reactions to evolution and climate change, sadly we probably have about as much chance of persuading fundamentalists using scientific evidence as Mickey Mouse winning the Republican primaries this year. However much proof you find they'll always find a way to double-think it away or dub it a "liberal conspiracy".

TheIronRuler:
Educated Guess - He's a private performer. He is probably funded by some religious entity. This is his job.

God, I hope so. I got 10 seconds in before I had to shut it off because of his cringeworthy appearance. He looks like a committee of 50 year-olds sat down and and worked out exactly which angle to tilt a backwards-turned baseball cap would resonate most with "the youth". He looks like an insincere construction from start to finish and I hope no school would ever directly hire anyone who was such a prat.

He looks like he's an extension of that Campus Life JV group that performed sometimes when I was a kid. We had live speakers somehow mixing an "it's COOL not to do drugs!" message with Roxette and Def Leopard music. So the in-school message was pretty safe and secular, but they also ran extra-curricular activities that were more religious oriented. Everything about this guy's presentation looks like he's trying to be one of those groups and completely missing the clue.

I would bet it's probably rather a matter of a few either ignorant or bigoted busy-bodies in the faculty who arranged for this guy to visit the school. Probably there are lots of teachers that are utterly shocked that this guy is even allowed in the door, but they never had the time to get involved, learn what he was going to say, and voice their concerns because they were too busy trying to, you know, be teachers.

Magichead:

Volf:

TizzytheTormentor:

Would you think that a rabid conspiracy theorist who was utterly convinced that jews control the media, the moon landings were a hoax, and that aliens abduct him regularly to discuss the latest episode of Eastenders to be a suitable candidate for political office? Or would those fucking batshit crazy ideas, and the fact that he possesses the mental characteristics necessary to accept such lunacy as fact, give you pause?

Yes and will I disagree with such people on a multiple of range of topic, as long as there not federal criminals I would support their right to vote. If groups I didn't like were not aloud to vote, then no liberal or conservative group would be given the chance to vote.

Also, not every religious person is an extremist.

reonhato:
video today on failblog of a highschool assembly in iowa

for those too lazy to watch its basically a guy talking to the kids about how being gay is a choice and its bad. how the hell is that allowed in a school.

inb4 its iowa duh

Plus he told the girls that they would have mud on their wedding dresses if they weren't virgins, advised them to take a submissive role in their marriages and showed images of aborted fetuses.

KlLLUMINATI:
Plus he told the girls that they would have mud on their wedding dresses if they weren't virgins, advised them to take a submissive role in their marriages and showed images of aborted fetuses.

...Seriously? The school could probably sue these people...

Stagnant:

KlLLUMINATI:

...Seriously? The school could probably sue these people...

he told the kids that anyone who was gay was going to die at the age of 42

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/state-and-regional/iowa-high-school-assembly-stirs-protest/article_d754d1b2-6a25-11e1-b4e1-001871e3ce6c.html

I'm glad to hear the school apologized. They were tricked, but they didn't mean it to go the way it did.

Polarity27:
use phony baloney "lie detector" devices to trick people into thinking they can prove how they're sinning and need God in their lives.

Seriously? That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It's like...does anyone get convinced by that?

Shocking stuff.

I used to be a high school teacher in the UK.

There you need to pass an advanced disclosure check - a full background check - before you are allowed near any school kids.

That guy and his group should never have been allowed near any school kids.

Unless of course it was a private booking of a school room for a private group after school hours or on a holiday. In that case it is fine.

Otherwise, the school principal needs to be fired asap. Because if I was a parent of a kid at that school I would be spitting fire right now.

Regards

Nihtspore

Batou667:
I "loved" the implication that since Elton John is gay, he's therefore also a pedophile. "Would you let your son or daughter stay overnight at Elton's?" - well, my daughter would probably be safe as houses, don't you think, seeing as "Elton John" is to "young girl" as fish is to bicycle?

I love this kind of reasoning. It's just so deliciously ironic that the largest population of pedophiles are probably catholic priests.

And yeah... this is some messed up shit.

reonhato:

Lots of this.

Bassik:
That's what disturbed me the most, actually. I don't know how your school experience was, but I do remember me and my classmates going on rampages after shit like this.

Kind of the same. We had some guy over from a Christian extremist group that campaigns against swearing, and the already annoyed class watched him draw a pyramid of 'worse language', placed god above diseases, and the class basically ran riot when I asked him specifically if saying Jesus is worse than saying cancer to cancer patient and he said yes.

...and that was on a Christian school.

The reformist secondary school, people would not only have stayed quiet, but agreed with him though. Kids there were so dumb. It's the reason I left the place.

We Dutch have got places like that, and a lot worse. But fortunately it's a small minority.

But where I went after that, a guy like that would've entered through the door, and left through the window, possibly without clothes. ^_^
If it's any indication, one kid ambushed another in between classes over supposedly being gay and fancying him (one girl lied she'd heard the victim talking to himself) and when I heard what was happening I charged out the classroom and beat up that bully (admittedly, also in large part because I already hated him) and threw him into a cupboard facefirst after he stopped fighting. It was a bit excessive really.
The conversation with the principal lasted less than a minute. The moment he heard what it was about I was free to go, with his compliments, and the attacker got punished instead. Last I heard him say was protest me busting up his bracers and the principal commenting that that was his problem, and it never would've happened if he hadn't bullied someone.

Blablahb:

Bassik:
That's what disturbed me the most, actually. I don't know how your school experience was, but I do remember me and my classmates going on rampages after shit like this.

Kind of the same. We had some guy over from a Christian extremist group that campaigns against swearing, and the already annoyed class watched him draw a pyramid of 'worse language', placed god above diseases, and the class basically ran riot when I asked him specifically if saying Jesus is worse than saying cancer to cancer patient and he said yes.

...and that was on a Christian school.

Same here. It may have been a Christian school, but for some weird reason people found the teachings of Jesus more important then bigotry, hatred and evangelism. I know, weird. /sarcasm.

The reformist secondary school, people would not only have stayed quiet, but agreed with him though. Kids there were so dumb. It's the reason I left the place.

If it's the same reformists as what we dubbed "de zwarte kousen kerk" then I understand what you mean. Funny how our most extremist church is kind of the same as many American "moderate" churches.

But where I went after that, a guy like that would've entered through the door, and left through the window, possibly without clothes. ^_^
If it's any indication, one kid ambushed another in between classes over supposedly being gay and fancying him (one girl lied she'd heard the victim talking to himself) and when I heard what was happening I charged out the classroom and beat up that bully (admittedly, also in large part because I already hated him) and threw him into a cupboard facefirst after he stopped fighting. It was a bit excessive really.
The conversation with the principal lasted less than a minute. The moment he heard what it was about I was free to go, with his compliments, and the attacker got punished instead. Last I heard him say was protest me busting up his bracers and the principal commenting that that was his trouble, and it never would've happened if he hadn't bullied someone.

Good for you, and good for the principal. The only people we should be bigoted about are bigots themselves. (Huh? Well you know what I mean.)

Volf:

Magichead:

Volf:

Yes and will I disagree with such people on a multiple of range of topic, as long as there not federal criminals I would support their right to vote. If groups I didn't like were not aloud to vote, then no liberal or conservative group would be given the chance to vote.

You do realize that all of us voters don't hold political office just by virtue of being voters, right?

TizzytheTormentor:

Errr... what?

1000 years ago Religion was a huge slice of politics, even Governing the elite...

Going into the 1700's and onwards idea's and philosophies started to spread once science was needed to create and improve weapons needed for a new and more complicated type of warfare and you generally gathered lots of smart people in a room together.

As Democracy influenced Governments and spread more and more the abuses of power that occurred under the churches at the time led to many countries such as Revolutionary France, Prussia make a clear divided between Religion and the state so they were no longer connected as they were once upon a time. It even happened in America... until oh fuckity dooo America just ignored that part of their constitution and this is the shit you get now. Bloody preachers walking into schools and indoctrinating the minds of children with fear mongering tactics (gay men have life spans of 40 years pah).

Religion was sadly never removed from the Politics of America with a clear defined separation of Religion and State. Swear on the BIBLE in court. Alcoholics Anonymous a state sponsored Christian group who try to convert you rather than help you. Every time Congress commences a prayer is said... There is hardly any separation between Religion and State in the US in comparison to a lot of the States of Europe...(excluding the Vatican). There is plenty of separation when compared with Iran or Saudi Arabia but the US is lagging behind of the rest of the 1st world in terms of this separation.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Magichead:

You do realize that all of us voters don't hold political office just by virtue of being voters, right?

Yes but voting allows us to have a "voice".

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked