How will we know we are dead ?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

When we die how will we know that we have died? If we just ceased to exist how would we know?

I found this article to be interesting I never asked myself this question before. http://news.discovery.com/human/near-death-brain.html

KlLLUMINATI:
When we die how will we know that we have died? If we just ceased to exist how would we know?

If you cease to exist, then there is no "you" capable of knowing--or not knowing--anything.

Look at it this way: before you were conceived, how did you know you hadn't been conceived?

BrassButtons:

KlLLUMINATI:

If you cease to exist, then there is no "you" capable of knowing--or not knowing--anything.

Look at it this way: before you were conceived, how did you know you hadn't been conceived?

That makes sense to me.....

If some form of afterlife exist: If you see pearly gates, a three headed dog, or a lot of fire, you know your dead.

If rencarnation exists: You won't know, you will have knowledge of a baby and have forgotten everything.

If nothing is after death: You will cease to exist, your ability to comprehend the world around you will end. Their will be no "you" to know your dead.

KlLLUMINATI:

I found this article to be interesting I never asked myself this question before. http://news.discovery.com/human/near-death-brain.html

It will be very similar to the year 1901. Remember then? When you just didn't exist?

This is an awful question because it assumes that your concious will still be around after you die. There is no evidence for this. All the evidence and all the things we know about neurology indicate that when you are dead, you can't think anymore. You have no concious. YOU DON'T EXIST.

So how could something that doesn't exist know it doesn't exist?

That's what you are asking?

And you're serious?

You won't know anything, because you will be dead.

The neurons in your brain will cease to function and the abstract concept of knowing something will not occur anymore.

Believe me, it was utter tedium waiting all those billions of years after the Big Bang until I was born... I had no idea how I survived the sheer boredom of it all before there were even stars and planets.

The same way you know you are asleep. By which I mean you don't. Because you aren't doing anything. If you were, then you wouldn't be dead. You would be undead.

randomsix:
The same way you know you are asleep. By which I mean you don't. Because you aren't doing anything. If you were, then you wouldn't be dead. You would be undead.

Now, if that was the case, the sudden hunger for brains or human flesh should tip you off. It might also be the hysterical running and yelling when people see, or the shotgun.
But that might also mean you walked into the deep South.

It's sorta like a nothing nothingness. You don't know you're dead, because well, you're dead. Function just stops and you cease to exist, but it can't be nothing because nothing is something. Closing your eyes and seeing black is still something. So yeah, a nothing nothingness.

Not confusing at all!

When I died in a dream it felt like I was in one of these things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofp_IM-vNyI
And there were crazy colours all over the place.
Like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahHW3aOong only very blurry.
It was amazing. :D

SillyBear:

KlLLUMINATI:

It will be very similar to the year 1901. Remember then? When you just didn't exist?

This is an awful question because it assumes that your concious will still be around after you die. There is no evidence for this. All the evidence and all the things we know about neurology indicate that when you are dead, you can't think anymore. You have no concious. YOU DON'T EXIST.

And you're serious?

You say that as if you are sure but you do not know nobody does..........

KlLLUMINATI:

Stricly speaking that is true. We do not know.

But this is not a 50/50 case, as it is sometimes put. The odds are not remotely even.

We know from biology and neurosciences how physical changes in your brain correlate to emotions, memories, thought-process. A most extreme example of this is lobotomy. More recent examples include the CAT-scan tests seeking to uncover precisly which parts of the brain are responsible for what 'parts' of 'consciousness', such as memory recall or word association.

This means that there is evidence to suggest that consiousness and awareness and emotion and memory are all tied to the physical processes of the brain.

Now then, we also have evidence, from lobotomy, that removing parts of the brain can have drastic debilitating consequences to these processes. Various forms of brain injury result in amnesia and certain neurological syndromes can be traced back to malfunctioning or non-functioning parts of the brain.

This implies that there cannot be a consicousness without a sufficiently complex and functioning brain.

So yes, while we strictly speaking do not know (much like we do not know that unicorns do not exist), we have zero evidence to support anything surviving death, and do have strong indication that nothing can survive past the non-functionality of the brain.

SakSak:

KlLLUMINATI:

Stricly speaking that is true. We do not know.

But this is not a 50/50 case, as it is sometimes put. The odds are not remotely even.

We know from biology and neurosciences how physical changes in your brain correlate to emotions, memories, thought-process. A most extreme example of this is lobotomy. More recent examples include the CAT-scan tests seeking to uncover precisly which parts of the brain are responsible for what 'parts' of 'consciousness', such as memory recall or word association.

This means that there is evidence to suggest that consiousness and awareness and emotion and memory are all tied to the physical processes of the brain.

Now then, we also have evidence, from lobotomy, that removing parts of the brain can have drastic debilitating consequences to these processes. Various forms of brain injury result in amnesia and certain neurological syndromes can be traced back to malfunctioning or non-functioning parts of the brain.

This implies that there cannot be a consicousness without a sufficiently complex and functioning brain.

So yes, while we strictly speaking do not know (much like we do not know that unicorns do not exist), we have zero evidence to support anything surviving death, and do have strong indication that nothing can survive past the non-functionality of the brain.

The body dies but maybe not the soul....

KlLLUMINATI:

Tell me, in this case, what do you mean by 'soul'?

SakSak:

KlLLUMINATI:

The part of us that connects to God.

KlLLUMINATI:

SakSak:

KlLLUMINATI:

Okay, then tell me, is this part of us capable of receiving information, or processing it? Does it leave any kind of mark on the physical world? Does it affect your thinking process, can it evoke emotion, act as source of knowledge? If it went missing from you, would you notice it?

Or is it undetectable?

SakSak:

KlLLUMINATI:

SakSak:

Okay, then tell me, is this part of us capable of receiving information, or processing it? Does it leave any kind of mark on the physical world? Does it affect your thinking process, can it evoke emotion, act as source of knowledge? If it went missing from you, would you notice it?

Or is it undetectable?

I don't think souls are supposed to be anything that can be possessed indefinitely. They supposed to be indistinguishable from god and return to join it upon death. So life that seeks to possess god or a part of god is SOL. lol

RedFeather1975:

I don't think souls are supposed to be anything that can be possessed indefinitely. They supposed to be indistinguishable from god and return to join it upon death. So life that seeks to possess god or a part of god is SOL. lol

The problem there is that if souls are indeed indistinquishable from God, then God is either by definition unknowable, or bound by laws of existance. (Exactly the same way souls are)

Which means nothing can be said of that God, or the God can't be omni-anything.

And worse, in theory, God could be killed. After all, if it can be observed, it can be destroyed.

SakSak:

KlLLUMINATI:

SakSak:

Or is it undetectable?

In my opinion it is like a sixth sense the little voice that you are not really conscience.

Maybe life would be better if things didn't behave in a way that made uncertainty feel threatening.
I don't want to be a slave to fear and insecurity. But I know it is very hard to fight those feelings.

Well, assuming a soul, that once you exist, even once you die, it's different to before you were created...isn't it going to be somewhat the same as being asleep without dreaming?

Well, as others already said, you won't. Which is a comforting thought, because experiencing nothingness would be pretty awful.
If you ever had a black-out from alcohol and woke up the next morning with a hole in your memory... that's what I believe it'll be like. Like that hole. But obviously without the moment of waking up and realizing a chunk of your memory is missing. It will be the ultimate black-out, but without the hang-over.

KlLLUMINATI:

SillyBear:

KlLLUMINATI:

And you're serious?

And you say that like the probability of some magic superstition coming true is equal to cold hard facts what we already know to be true about death.

News flash: It's not equal. There is no scientific evidence whatsoever to believe that you are able to continue existing without vital organs. Choosing to believe you can is fine, but at least have the ability to accept how outlandish the belief is.

I realise this is a pretty vague question, and not precisely on topic, but...

Does dualism have any evidence going for it? At all? I mean, Saksak made a pretty comprehensive post about how much we know about the brain and how much of its functioning is material, and the response was to ad hoc in something about a soul.

It seems to me like dualism in the context of discussing the brain is a massive appeal to ignorance.

When the electric bits in my brain that are my mind are dead, then I won't care any more either case. ... :P

Captcha: Weakest link. Even captcha doesn't like my jokes.

KlLLUMINATI:

SakSak:

KlLLUMINATI:

Which one? Zeus? Odin? Ra? Allah?

Olrod:

In deed. The concept of a god, gods, celestial spirits or lord Xenu, lets not offend any religions here by not counting them in are just as vague as the concept of a soul.

Olrod:

KlLLUMINATI:

SakSak:

The LORD is our God, the LORD is one

Remember how it was like before you were born? That's what it will be like when you're dead.

You'll know when you feel the worms start to tuck in.

KlLLUMINATI:

You don't seem to have answered the question. There are plenty of lords; Lord Vader, Lord Voldemort, Lord Privy Seal. Which one are we talking about?

Elcarsh:

KlLLUMINATI:

You don't seem to have answered the question. There are plenty of lords; Lord Vader, Lord Voldemort, Lord Privy Seal. Which one are we talking about?

Lord is a title. Jehovah is the lords name in the bible.

KlLLUMINATI:
Lord is a title. Jehovah is the lords name in the bible.

...and your reason for rejecting all of the other ones is...?

I genuinely think that KILLUMINATI is either a very successful troll or a very dumb religious zealot.
...but my instinct to argue is kicking in, and never is it stronger when religion is about. If you are a troll, I commend thee.
Everything I'd like to say has been said. It's like before you're alive, you AREN'T. You just...don't exist. As awful as nothingness would be, luckily I wont be around to experience it because...I wont be there. Or here. Or anywhere!
And replying with stupid and vague answers that - again - have no actual evidence and are completely nonsensical isn't supporting your argument.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked