So, Trayvon Martin. (Updated 9/10: From the duh and oops departments)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 . . . 43 NEXT

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:
Here's my citation, if you cant see how cops give blacks a harder time in the south.

[CITATION NEEDED]

And if you carry a concealed handgun with you everywhere you go, and its not in your job to do so (arguably), then you have mental problems full stop.

It's their personal decision to carry to protect themselves and their families while out and about. If someone chooses to carry for their protection, deal with it.

Yea if I ever see a civilian carrying a concealed weapon, Im leaving as quickly and as quietly as possible. YOu cant deal with these people, theyre drunk on the fact that they can end someone life in a second with a piece of metal in their pocket. They must honestly think theyre Harry potter or voldemort or something

edit: fucking crazy people
edit: RADIOHEAD PLAYING LIVE ON YOUTUBE!!!!!!

Stilt:

Yea if I ever see a civilian carrying a concealed weapon,

Yeah, good luck with that, it's "concealed carry", not "brag about carrying a gun carrying".

Im leaving as quickly and as quietly as possible.

Good luck spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of money you probably don't have.

YOu cant deal with these people, theyre drunk on the fact that they can end someone life in a second with a piece of metal in their pocket.

I live with those people, and they never carry when they intend to drink, they have someone referred to as a "Designated Carrier". Only a small percentage of people act the way you think, and most are already in prison.

They must honestly think theyre Harry potter or voldemort or something.

Physics and magic are two different things.

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:

Yea if I ever see a civilian carrying a concealed weapon,

Yeah, good luck with that, it's "concealed carry", not "brag about carrying a gun carrying".

Im leaving as quickly and as quietly as possible.

Good luck spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of money you probably don't have.

YOu cant deal with these people, theyre drunk on the fact that they can end someone life in a second with a piece of metal in their pocket.

I live with those people, and they never carry when they intend to drink, they have someone referred to as a "Designated Carrier". Only a small percentage of people act the way you think, and most are already in prison.

They must honestly think theyre Harry potter or voldemort or something.

Physics and magic are two different things.]

lol at that serious response to the last thing.

As for the rest of it, the only reason you even need to worry about the safety of you family anymore are becasue of people like you who carry guns. Some people get mighty suspicious really quickly, how many paranoid people have guns? I say all of them, but obviously to varying degrees. Look at gun laws in europe. Now look at gun violence statistics between the America and say Britain. Gun violence is off the charts here

Stilt:
As for the rest of it, the only reason you even need to worry about the safety of you family anymore are becasue of people like you who carry guns.

Because that shady crack head around the corner who probably cased my house to rob last night ins't a probable cause to carry.[/quote]

how many paranoid people have guns?[/quote]

I'd say roughly about 45% of all Americans.

I say all of them, but obviously to varying degrees. Look at gun laws in europe. Now look at gun violence statistics between the America and say Britain. Gun violence is off the charts here

You know, there's a nation in Europe where all service members can opt to keep their service weapon and roughly 72 rounds of ammunition for it, and that nation has a two year conscript policy and some of the most relaxed gun laws in Europe, you know what that place is called?

Switzerland.

Britain is a Nanny-State. They ban things because "it's for your own good". Try getting a hold of Pepper Spray in Britain.

Smagmuck_:
You know, there's a nation in Europe where all service members can opt to keep their service weapon and roughly 72 rounds of ammunition for it, and that nation has a two year conscript policy and some of the most relaxed gun laws in Europe, you know what that place is called?

Switzerland.

Britain is a Nanny-State. They ban things because "it's for your own good". Try getting a hold of Pepper Spray in Britain.

Im not saying all paranoid people have guns, im saying all people who have guns are paranoid.
Some of them dangerously so.

Why would I want pepper spray? Thats a weird thing to need. And just so you know, you think someone getting raped is going to be able to pull out her pepper spray and spray the guy in the eyes? Ive seen someone get pepper sprayed, some cunt pepper sprayed my friend in the face as a joke once and all it did was piss him off really really good.

God everyone seems to have this action movie hero fantasy of shooting a terrorist on a plane, or pepper spraying an assailant, or ssaving some old lady from a purse snatcher with their .45, yeesh

Stilt:
Im not saying all paranoid people have guns, im saying all people who have guns are paranoid.

Please tell this to someone who's had to use their CC in self defense, go on, I dare you.

Why would I want pepper spray?

It's designed for defense for people who don't prefer firearms.

That's a weird thing to need. And just so you know, you think someone getting raped is going to be able to pull out her pepper spray and spray the guy in the eyes?

Hence, the firearm.

I've seen someone get pepper sprayed, some cunt pepper sprayed my friend in the face as a joke once and all it did was piss him off really really good.

This is the exact reason people carry. Pepper Spray isn't going to stop everyone, especially a junkie.

God everyone seems to have this action movie hero fantasy of shooting a terrorist on a plane, or pepper spraying an assailant, or ssaving some old lady from a purse snatcher with their .45, yeesh

Jesus Christ, where the fuck do you live? I've never met these kind of people in my life and I'm rooted deeply in gun culture.

Stilt's sounding a lot like Blablahb.

Smagmuck_:

Jesus Christ, where the fuck do you live? I've never met these kind of people in my life and I'm rooted deeply in gun culture.

Yea well from an outsiders perspective, you guys look paranoid and crazy. Leave the gun at home. Leave it at the range. It doesnt need to be in bars, rallies, schools for gods sake, just leave it at home

Stilt:
Leave the gun at home. Leave it at the range.

There's a difference between a range toy and a carry piece, let me clear this for you.

No one's going to carry their range toy where ever they go, unless they live on a fair bit of land. If they do otherwise, I will agree they're paranoid.

It doesnt need to be in bars, rallies, schools for gods sake, just leave it at home

Firearms aren't legally allowed in bars or schools. (Unless it's a college that permits Concealed Carry), Guns are banned from Rallies if explicitly stated by the event holder.

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:

There's a difference between a range toy and a carry piece, let me clear this for you.

No one's going to carry their range toy where ever they go, unless they live on a fair bit of land. If they do otherwise, I will agree they're paranoid.

It doesnt need to be in bars, rallies, schools for gods sake, just leave it at home

Firearms aren't legally allowed in bars or schools. (Unless it's a college that permits Concealed Carry), Guns are banned from Rallies if explicitly stated by the event holder.

Guns in bars
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/30/us-ohio-guns-idUSTRE75T7BX20110630

You already know that some universities allow concealed carry. Thats fucking crazy. Also Ive about fuckin had it with the NRA being the biggest assholes on the planet, picking the absolute worst time to do shit. After McVey, tortured soul that he was murdered all those people, the nra had the nerve to hold a rally at Columbine the week after the massacre, real classy Heston
fuckin idiot

edit: image the nra just started selling this on their website http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?p=CO+635&ct=e
trolls

Smagmuck_:

Well, except in one state. Ohio I think. Or was it Indiana. Google probably nose, but I'm pretty tired right now. But yeah, some crazy state legislature passed a bill combining alcohol and firearms. I want some of whatever they were smoking.

Edit: Oh gee, I got ninja'd. Ohio it is.

Stilt:
SNIP

Thank you for cementing my suspicion that you are Blahblahb. (I will continue to assume this until proven otherwise)

I've never seen someone in a decent discussion go from a reasonable debate, to derailing to "Blah blah, the NRA is bad!" (Which in sometimes, the can be pretty stupid) in such a short post.

Holy fuck.

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:
SNIP

Thank you for cementing my suspicion that you are Blahblahb. (I will continue to assume this until proven otherwise)

I've never seen someone in a decent discussion go from a reasonable debate, to derailing to "Blah blah, the NRA is bad!" (Which in sometimes, the can be pretty stupid) in such a short post.

Holy fuck.

The NRA is a powerful lobby that has control over a lot of resources, they control a lot of the gun legislation so they are very relevant to this discussion. There's a very good chance that this whole thing would never have happened if it werent for the crazy gun laws the nra are getting passed. They are the ALEC of death

Stilt:

Do you have any credible sources to back up these claims?

Volf:

Stilt:

Do you have any credible sources to back up these claims?

I doubt it.

It's bullshit because some people might have guns for recreational/professional reasons.

I'm also aware some people have them for protection against wild animals depending on where they live.

There's also his own personal opinion of what qualifies as *paranoid*. There might be legitimate reasons why a person would fear for their safety enough to warrant buying a gun, if indeed it was bought for protection. There are also some people who go by the saying "I'd rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it" and buy a gun, in the same way I buy a second bottle of JD.

Stilt:
this whole thing would never have happened if it werent for the crazy gun laws the nra are getting passed.

I need a new change of underpants from laughing so hard. Hell, at least Tyler Perry backs his shit up instead of playing the blame game.

farson135:
WRONG. In fact in many departments it is REQUIRED for off duty LEOs to carry. Hell, many of them carry two guns.

Some carry three! So they can fire one with their dick.

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:
Here's my citation, if you cant see how cops give blacks a harder time in the south.

[CITATION NEEDED]

While I think Stilt kinda needs to pump the brakes with the whole "all gun owners are paranoid" nonsense, do you REALLY need a "citation" that blacks get a bit rougher go of it down south? It's common knowledge. It varies by area, obviously, but come on. Let's be somewhat realistic here.

Stilt:

Im not a proponent of the death penalty, I think it is absolutely retarded to kill people in a justice system that is corruptible which ours has proven that it is. Do you know how many people went from death row to being back on the street getting their lives back? Too many to think that a death penalty is ever warranted. I'm a believer that it's better to let 10 guilty men go free to spare an innocent one, but I have to say in this case its pretty obvious. Why is this lunatic carrying a concealed gun around? He appointed himself "watchdog" of the community in which he doesnt even live, oh wow coooool what is he doing with a gun prowling around? The man has some very obvious mental issues, i mean who the fuck carries a gun around? The guy is not a cop, and even cops arent just supposed to keep their gun with them off duty. The man is a head case, I dont see how this is debateable

p.s. carrying a concealed gun should be probable cause, i dont get why its not

Thank you for proving my own point. You have far less evidence to show against this man than was arrayed against the people you mention who were freed from death row. If the case against them turned out to be flimsy and ultimately incorrect, what chance do you honestly think you have, at least based only on the information at hand?

I already proved that Zimmerman was not self appointed, stop spreading that particular lie. As for the gun, Zimmerman was legally, morally, and ethically allowed to carry such a weapon in public, as are millions of US citizens. There's actually a very high chance that one or more people you walk by almost every single day carries a concealed gun, the people who do so generally are not doing it for the sake of showing off or feeling "cool", but because they feel they might need it, possibly to defend your sorry arse. There are all too many cases where concealed carry has saved lives to dismiss it as simply paranoia.

If and only if Zimmerman's story is accurate, his use of said weapon was not only without reproach, but an example of exactly why people carry guns for self defense, a case where an opponent had both a physical advantage and a demonstrated intent to kill or seriously harm. If his story is not accurate, lets just say I will help you string the bastard up. All I am asking you to do is to wait for proof one way or the other to be presented before making a judgment, is that so hard?

Again, probable cause is a factor that directly leads investigators to believe that the suspect committed a particular crime. Simply owning and wearing a gun while in possession of a valid concealed carry license does not and cannot constitute probable cause on its own. If anything, Zimmerman having a concealed carry license helps his case, simply because of the required training it takes.

Stilt:

As for the rest of it, the only reason you even need to worry about the safety of you family anymore are becasue of people like you who carry guns. Some people get mighty suspicious really quickly, how many paranoid people have guns? I say all of them, but obviously to varying degrees. Look at gun laws in europe. Now look at gun violence statistics between the America and say Britain. Gun violence is off the charts here

Take a look at the statistics for the crime rates of concealed carry users. They are significantly LESS likely to harm you and your family, by accident or on purpose, than anyone outside of that category.

According to the FBI, states that do not allow concealed carry have a crime rate 11% higher than national averages. In Texas, a person with a concealed carry permit is 14 times less likely to commit a violent crime. Crime rates involving gun owners with carry permits have consistently been about 0.02% of all carry permit holders, compared to a bit more than 0.5% for the population as a whole (If you discount "victimless crimes" like drug use, the disparity is even higher if you do not). Washington, D.C.'s 1976 ban on the ownership of handguns (except those already registered in the District) was not linked to any reduction in gun crime. New York, despite it's ban on guns, has 20% of the country's armed robberies.

And speaking of the UK, they and Australia have the highest sexual assault, robbery, and assault rates out of the top 17 industrialized countries. Banning guns entirely certainly didn't help them. I'm not going to argue that having legal guns reduces crime here. The evidence for that certainly is a bit too ambiguous. But the assumption that CC permit holders are by default violent, glory hungry, and/or paranoid is inherently false.

Tyler Perry:

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:

[CITATION NEEDED]

While I think Stilt kinda needs to pump the brakes with the whole "all gun owners are paranoid" nonsense, do you REALLY need a "citation" that blacks get a bit rougher go of it down south? It's common knowledge. It varies by area, obviously, but come on. Let's be somewhat realistic here.

A.) Blacks getting treated a little more poorly in the South overall is common knowledge enough that it could slide. But it is a long way from that statement to assuming that all or even most legal cases involving blacks in Florida are mishandled for that reason, or that any particular non black is automatically a racist, citation needed.
B.) Generally, if someone claims to have direct proof of a trend or information to back up a statement, I expect to see it. If you don't have proof on hand, or can't be arsed to look for it, the statement can only be said to be from personal perspective/memory.

evilneko:

Well, except in one state. Ohio I think. Or was it Indiana. Google probably nose, but I'm pretty tired right now. But yeah, some crazy state legislature passed a bill combining alcohol and firearms. I want some of whatever they were smoking.

Edit: Oh gee, I got ninja'd. Ohio it is.

Technically, that same bill prohibits CC users from drinking alcohol at all while carrying. Sure, they could ignore it and have a beer. They could also ignore a ban on carrying into a bar and bring the gun in anyways.

Stilt:

Smagmuck_:

Stilt:

Guns in bars
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/30/us-ohio-guns-idUSTRE75T7BX20110630

You already know that some universities allow concealed carry. Thats fucking crazy. Also Ive about fuckin had it with the NRA being the biggest assholes on the planet, picking the absolute worst time to do shit. After McVey, tortured soul that he was murdered all those people, the nra had the nerve to hold a rally at Columbine the week after the massacre, real classy Heston
fuckin idiot

edit: image the nra just started selling this on their website http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?p=CO+635&ct=e
trolls

You... you are aware that the CCW hoodie has been on sale for quite a while now, right?

The controversy around this was thrown up by the CSGV, and it flew right back in their face when it was pointed out that this wasn't a new item.

Here

Also, demand for that item is up, you know.

Read this little quote

Remember the flap by the CSGV, Media Matters etc. over the CCW Hoodie that allegedly was marketed in response to the Martin/Zimmerman shooting a month before it happened?

Well I met the manufacturer. They have nearly two months worth of backorders and are shipping out so many they didn't have enough left to bring any besides a sample to the convention.

Ladd Everitt, NRA hoodie salesman of the year.

Stilt:
Here's my citation, if you cant see how cops give blacks a harder time in the south (to say the very least), then you never will, you will never let yourself see that.

First of all Florida is by no means the deep south and by that distinction you can tell that all parts of "the south" are not created equal. YOU stated that this police department was one of the most racist in the country. Now back it up.

And if you carry a concealed handgun with you everywhere you go, and its not in your job to do so (arguably), then you have mental problems full stop

I am a militiaman as defined by the department of defense. So my job is securing and protecting the US as well as its population. That good enough?

Plus you have this little thing called the 2nd Amendment that guarantees the right to "keep and bear arms".

Then you have the basic fact that in the US, only a hundred years ago, there were laws decreeing that people were REQUIRED to carry their guns. Hell, in early America MOST of the states required at least males to carry most of the time. Are you saying that early Americans all had mental problems?

Stilt:
As for the rest of it, the only reason you even need to worry about the safety of you family anymore are becasue of people like you who carry guns. Some people get mighty suspicious really quickly, how many paranoid people have guns? I say all of them, but obviously to varying degrees.

If that is the case then why does the state of Idaho, which has the highest gun ownership rate in the US (64%) have a murder rate of 1.3 per 100,000? After all the UK (gun ownership rate of 6.8%) has a murder rate of 1.2 per 100,000.

Look at gun laws in europe. Now look at gun violence statistics between the America and say Britain. Gun violence is off the charts here

Gun violence is high but violence is not. If the UK is such a paradise then why are their LEOs carrying guns? In the 80s British LEOs didn't carry guns, now they not only carry guns but wear body armor.

Stilt:

Prove it.

Why would I want pepper spray? Thats a weird thing to need. And just so you know, you think someone getting raped is going to be able to pull out her pepper spray and spray the guy in the eyes? Ive seen someone get pepper sprayed, some cunt pepper sprayed my friend in the face as a joke once and all it did was piss him off really really good.

Wow, and anti-gunner not falling to his knees on the altar of pepper spray.

Sometimes movies imitate real life- http://www.click2houston.com/news/HCSO-Dad-shoots-man-holding-daughter-hostage/-/1735978/4783348/-/59c6vnz/-/index.html

Stilt:
The NRA is a powerful lobby that has control over a lot of resources, they control a lot of the gun legislation so they are very relevant to this discussion.

Let me ask you something, do you know why the NRA is powerful? Chances are you said because of money. Here's the thing though, the NRA has a lot of money because it has a lot of members. The NRA has a membership base of 4.3 MILLION people (which makes it one of the largest lobbying groups in the entire country). It gains $120 million dollars per year in membership dues plus another $40 million in donations from places like Midway USA. In other words 3/4 of all the NRAs money comes from the fact that they have so many members.

For the opposition the Brady Campaign (which is the largest single issue anti-gun organization in the US) has a membership base of 28,000 (and no I did not forget any zeros). Actually their numbers are less than that but they stopped publishing their numbers in 2007 when they lost 4,000 members in one year.

So the NRA has about 150 times as many members as their direct competitor. Shouldn't it stand then that the NRA has 150 times as much influence? It should, but the Brady Campaign wields a lot of influence not because of its numbers but because its members are rich.

Tyler Perry:
Some carry three! So they can fire one with their dick.

I can't tell if you are joking or not but I am just going to say this anyway and if you were joking you can ignore it.

It is called a New York reload-http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/New_York_reload

Tyler Perry:

Florida is by no stretch of the imagination the deep south. Blacks probably get it no worse in your average Florida city than they do in your average city in New York.

farson135:

Gun violence is high but violence is not. If the UK is such a paradise then why are their LEOs carrying guns? In the 80s British LEOs didn't carry guns, now they not only carry guns but wear body armor.

Only about 20% of the UK police force is authorised to carry firearms and pretty much the only time most people will see one armed is at an airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom

"In the year 2007-08, there were 6,780 Authorised Firearms Officers, 21,181 police operations in which firearms were authorised throughout England and Wales and 7 incidents where conventional firearms were used"

Archroy:

Only about 20% of the UK police force is authorised to carry firearms and pretty much the only time most people will see one armed is at an airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom

"In the year 2007-08, there were 6,780 Authorised Firearms Officers, 21,181 police operations in which firearms were authorised throughout England and Wales and 7 incidents where conventional firearms were used"

Irrelevant. If the UK is such a gun free paradise then the police shouldn't need guns or body armor. Also because the gun laws have been increasing the streets should be safer and the police should not have to be better armed, at least if the antis are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10260298

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6407137/Armed-officers-placed-on-routine-foot-patrol-for-first-time.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/aug/05/ukcrime.nickpatonwalsh

And on.

farson135:

Irrelevant. If the UK is such a gun free paradise then the police shouldn't need guns or body armor. Also because the gun laws have been increasing the streets should be safer and the police should not have to be better armed, at least if the antis are right.

Of course it's fucking relevant. The only place I've personally seen an armed officer away from an airport was outside the US embassy in London. Other than that, there are armed response vehicles that are called to scenes where guns are involved The vast majority of coppers aren't tooled up because they don't need to be.

And I never claimed that the UK was a "gun free paradise", although compared to the US it is pretty paradisiacal and lacking in guns.

farson135:
If that is the case then why does the state of Idaho, which has the highest gun ownership rate in the US (64%) have a murder rate of 1.3 per 100,000? After all the UK (gun ownership rate of 6.8%) has a murder rate of 1.2 per 100,000.

Because everybody lives 75 miles from each other.

Tyler Perry:

farson135:

Because everybody lives 75 miles from each other.

There's also all those famous potatoes to shoot at.

Archroy:

Of course it's fucking relevant. The only place I've personally seen an armed officer away from an airport was outside the US embassy in London. Other than that, there are armed response vehicles that are called to scenes where guns are involved The vast majority of coppers aren't tooled up because they don't need to be.

And I never claimed that the UK was a "gun free paradise", although compared to the US it is pretty paradisiacal and lacking in guns.

Yeah, if you don't mind daytime break-ins, getting jumped by gangs of foreigners, and a general sense of hopelessness and despair due to the fact that police are mostly useless if you're actually robbed, raped, or murdered. The UK might be nice if you're young and unambitious, otherwise, most people with an IQ over 90 leave that dread isle as soon as they're able. Seen plenty of them here in America, and most indicated they're never going back.

farson135:
Florida is by no stretch of the imagination the deep south. Blacks probably get it no worse in your average Florida city than they do in your average city in New York.

I would tend to disagree with that notion.

Myrmecodon:

Yeah, if you don't mind daytime break-ins, getting jumped by gangs of foreigners, and a general sense of hopelessness and despair due to the fact that police are mostly useless if you're actually robbed, raped, or murdered. The UK might be nice if you're young and unambitious, otherwise, most people with an IQ over 90 leave that dread isle as soon as they're able. Seen plenty of them here in America, and most indicated they're never going back.

That's nice for you. For my part, nothing short of the entire nuclear annihilation of Western Europe could induce me to move to the US, with your mass shootings, overzealous police officers, lack of decent public health care and twitchy neighbourhood watch.

And much like in the UK, the US police are no use to you when you've been murdered. What with you being dead and everything. Unless you have a special ghost cop squad now.

Archroy:

Myrmecodon:

That's nice for you. For my part, nothing short of the entire nuclear annihilation of Western Europe could induce me to move to the US, with your mass shootings, overzealous police officers, lack of decent public health care and twitchy neibourhood watch.

And much like in the UK, the US police are no use to you when you've been murdered. What with you being dead and everything. Unless you have a special ghost cop squad now.

I would go ahead and take the pre-emptive strike of putting Myrmecodon on ignore now. Very little that he says is worth the pixels or bandwidth.

CAPTCHA: eight ball. I need one, to read his posts.

Archroy:
with your mass shootings, overzealous police officers, lack of decent public health care and twitchy neibourhood watch.

What part of the US is this? Seriously, I'd like to know so I can avoid it next time I travel inside my own country.

Tyler Perry:

farson135:

I would tend to disagree with that notion.

My parents live in Jacksonville, Ive never seen a more gated, segregated city in my life. There are parts of jacksonville that are sketchier than South LA

Smagmuck_:

Archroy:
with your mass shootings, overzealous police officers, lack of decent public health care and twitchy neibourhood watch.

What part of the US is this? Seriously, I'd like to know so I can avoid it next time I travel inside my own country.

We have a group shooting (to varying degrees) every 6 months in this country almost like clockwork. It happens so frequently in this country that its almost come to the point where people just sort of yawn and go "whatever, What is Kim's kardashian ass doing?"

Smagmuck_:

Archroy:

All over the fucking place.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-01/09/c_13682614.htm

Pages PREV 1 . . . 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 . . . 43 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked