April 15th 'Gas out'

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I just wanted to get the word out, since I'm doing this and think it would be cool for everyone to try.

Update: It's about the message, not the money -.-

Hmm I will never understand the American obsession with gas prices-Its like half of what Europeans pay and despite that it an astronomical issue in the US while being only a minor issue in Europe. Do Americans really drive that much?

Just checked up Sweden's gas price-2.38$/liters nearly exactly twice of yours yet its barely mentioned in the political debate here.

My favorite part? Fill up the day before or after, thus negating the whole thing.

Gashad:
Hmm I will never understand the American obsession with gas prices-Its like half of what Europeans pay and despite that it an astronomical issue in the US while being only a minor issue in Europe. Do Americans really drive that much?

I can't speak for everyone, but generally yes. America is very spread out. I used to live 30 miles from any grocery store and I certainly wasn't walking 60 miles to get food.

Gashad:

It is what we drive. For example my Camaro gets 11mpg.

Gashad:

Just checked up Sweden's gas price-2.38$/liters nearly exactly twice of yours yet its barely mentioned in the political debate here.

For the most part, unless your in a major city like New York city, there is little to no public transportation, and some people are made fun of for riding bikes to work, hence we do depend heavily on cars/motorcycles/trucks/SUVs/ect.

Its tradition to take gasoline and put it in the energy hole, a massive nearly bottomless hole in the middle of the desert in the US. Almost as much tradition as the money hole and the soldier hole. The rising cost of gas is decreasing the amount of energy they can dump in this hole, so yes, its a very serious issue in the US.

Bottled water is more expensive than gas, how about we just accept something that billions of people use every single day is obviously going to inflate.

IT really does amaze me that people are mocked for cycling to work, having a hybrid car, or even just a fuel efficient one.

I was watching one of those US debate shows, and some republican guy said 'No-one wants a fuel efficient car, we could make them but no American would buy them.' (going from memory, but that's the theme of his comment.)

I couldn't believe that, when I know Americans have to do a lot of long journeys, and not having an efficient vehicle is just throwing away money. Maybe it's true tho, do many Americans measure the size of their balls by how few miles they get to the gallon?

I mean, over here we have Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson, but we understand that he's a parody of himself, and that anyone that obsessed with cars is unwell in the head.

Just to give you an idea, in the UK we're already double US prices.

I don't drive.

...or live in America.

crimson5pheonix:
My favorite part? Fill up the day before or after, thus negating the whole thing.

Yeah, seriously.

crimson5pheonix:

I can't speak for everyone, but generally yes. America is very spread out. I used to live 30 miles from any grocery store and I certainly wasn't walking 60 miles to get food.

Can you not get your groceries delivered directly to your door?

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

I just looked, a Kia Rio, admittedly a small car, does 88mpg. Are people so obsessed with SUVs and the like that they'll not get a small car for a 87.5% fuel costs discount?

Btw, didn't do much research, just googled the name of a small car then looked for the mpg info on their site. Probly even more efficient cars out there.

Volf:

Gashad:

For the most part, unless your in a major city like New York city, there is little to no public transportation, and some people are made fun of for riding bikes to work, hence we do depend heavily on cars/motorcycles/trucks/SUVs/ect.

People get made fun of for riding their bikes to work? What's the funny part; the saving money or the building of stamina part?

Here in the Netherlands it is normal to ride your bike to everywhere. We even have special folding bikes for people who want to take their bikes with them in the train or on a bus.

Seriously, what's so funny about that? It should be applauded for obvious reasons.
You know, for a country that is build on individualism, you lot are pretty conformist.

Oh no Americans have it so bad compared to all us Europeans [/sarcasm]

Fuel is going to get more expensive as we run out of it, boycotting it isn't feasible & won't do anything apart from possibly a small drop in the short-term. I don't see what this is going to achieve.

Amnestic:
I don't drive.

...or live in America.

crimson5pheonix:

Yeah, seriously.

crimson5pheonix:

To an extent. There was a delivery service that could provide some food and such, but no other supplies. And tack on a premium charge.

It comes down to the logistics of it, you would need refrigerated trucks covering the entire country pretty much all day every day.

Bassik:

People get made fun of for riding their bikes to work? What's the funny part; the saving money or the building of stamina part?

Here in the Netherlands it is normal to ride your bike to everywhere. We even have special folding bikes for people who want to take their bikes with them in the train or on a bus.

Seriously, what's so funny about that? It should be applauded for obvious reasons.
You know, for a country that is build on individualism, you lot are pretty conformist.

Well I'm generalizing obviously, but I think it has to do with the idea that if you work in a office and you come to work panting and sweaty, you'll stand out in a bad way.

As for our individualism, lol. We have individualism that is accepted and individualism that is not. Nobody is going to stop you from riding your bike, but don't be surprised if your the end of a joke. It may be different depending on the age group though.

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

Well that's your fucking fault then isn't it...

You drive an inefficient car then you should fucking well expect to pay for it through the nose. Get decent yet efficient car and then laugh at all the fools around you in the US who complain about the prices >.>

Oil prices have increased as over the past few years... *gets graphs*

Ok I'll assume you know anything at all about economics and how to read graphs and if you don't............................................. learn... you won't regret this knowledge.

P = Price
Q = Quantity

S = Supply
D = Demand

Where Supply and Demand intersect is when they are both at equilibrium. This results in a given Quantity available supplied given at a particular demand resulting in a price.

As shown above either factor can increase or decrease and this results in a change of Price and Quantity.

Above the increase in demand results in an increase in price and an increase.

So... here is the graph for oil:

What we have here is an example of an increase of demand with inelastic (opposite of elastic) supply. In this scenario an increase of demand results in a small increase of supply but a disproportionately large increase in price and this is the market for oil.

We have wars, we have the global oil supply problems with the US Iranian oil ban who then dragged the European Union into banning oil... all this limits supply for the US and Europe, decreasing supply and therefore is the exact opposite of an increase in demand and Ceteris Paribus results in an increase in price but a decrease os Quantity supplied.

Rising oil prices? It's the USA's fault.

Also Demand for oil globally is always increasing as in the modern world it is a necessity.
And that's the thing with oil... whats the Alternative?

All models of economics we have rely on competition... they rely on choice of service. For example if you have 10,000 to spend on a car you can choose which car to buy.
You can't do this with oil.

Electricity? The infrastructure isn't in place.
Hydrogen power? This relies on extracting hydrogen from oil................... I will say no more.

... a bike? Not that practical for crossing an entire country quickly is it?

Therefore oil is a necessity in the same way that water and food are necessities and we can't not purchase them... else we can't function. With no alternative to oil the companies are free to charge whatever they please and whatever they please is the most money they can get without severely lowering demand... which is hard when there is no alternative.

Who is to blame? You. You're neighbour. You're fellow country men and women... everyone is to blame for relying on oil...................... nothing else......

Oh yeah...
Peak oil........... you think oil prices are high now xD
We need an alternative for when oil is not the cheap energy source that we have got to know and love.

It's kind of funny how oil prices are a political issue in a country that screams "small government" and "free market".

crimson5pheonix:

I second this.

The time scale that these people are working on are definitely not normal.

It says April 15th 2011 are you a year late? And even better 2.3 Billion is almost 3 Billion... numbers aren't whoever started this' strongpoint are they?

Amnestic:

I technically live just inside the city limits of a small city. It's a good 10 miles to the nearest... anything, really. There is no public transportation. There are no bike paths (and riding a bike or walking on the narrow windy country road connecting my area to town is suicide). If you want to go to the grocery store, much less do anything in town, you need a car.

Everything is *really* spaced out around here. Even in town, walking to wherever you need to go might take hours. If you live in an even smaller community (And there are a lot of those around here), you'll be walking for half a day just to get to the grocery store and back. (and no, they don't deliver)

Followed by April 16: "National-buy-two-day's-worth-of-gasoline-day."

I love it when Europeans come here wondering why us idiots across the pond complain so much about gas. Try proposing a bullet train here and see how far you get. The great thing about living here is there's space. The bad thing is there's space. If we can, we prefer to live 10 miles from the nearest human being. This makes gas prices really matter as the nearest gas station is 10-20 miles away, the nearest mass transit 50-60. That's miles, not kilometers. Yes, we still use those weird measurements here, gallons rather than liters, pounds rather than kilos, feet rather than meters. Odd to you, but not to us. You live in a community of tightly packed nations that survive off each other in a shared economy. If Greece falls, Germany gets to bail them out. If the US goes into a depression, who do we have to look to, China? That's not prejudice, that's reality. I can't ride a bike to town nor can I get a taxi, bus, trolly, subway, or Amtrak. It's not economically feasible to create those networks across nations as large as ours. So yes, gas matters.

renegade7:
snip

ok just to make my point again...

I'm sorry but I typed into google and well... have a look

Nothing... fuck all. No evidence... just your claim. 30 cents over night? Fucking hell that would have bloody shown up on the radar... Good lord...

If the prices did fall 30 cents overnight then it was not due to some silly protest that wouldn't affect the long term earning of oil companies. It may have been due to the Asian economy which seems to have broken and therefore demand for oil falls and therefore proces falls... but nope... nothing about a protest.

And finally:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18492185/ns/business-answer_desk/t/why-one-day-gasoline-boycott-wont-work/#.T3IVI9msO70

There was one of these in 2007... nothing... fuck all........................... hate to tell you that, you know nothing about economics... but you know nothing about economics...

If you are taking part in this "Gas Out" you're a moron. Why? Because it will do ABSOLUTELY FREAKING NOTHING!! This happens every year and every year I have to explain to the idiots of the internet why this "protest" won't work.

Probably the BIGGEST flaw in this "protest" is the fact that the oil corporations are not hurt at all in any way shape or form. Not because they can sell it overseas(which they can) but because everyone is still dependent on their gasoline (aka petrol for all you Europeans).

Now I could see a month of not buying gas working or even a week of not buying gas making a dent, but a single day is worthless, pointless, and stupid. The oil corporations are still going to make the same amount of money even if people take part. The picture even says as much IN THE FIRST LINE:

And I quote: "If running low, just get your gas the day before on April 14th or the day after on April 16th."

Simple logic can discover the flaw in this plan. At the end of the month, the same amount of gas will have been used and the same amount of money will have been made even IF people actually did this. There is no Net-Loss. In fact I'm certain that the same amount of people taking part in this protest = the amount of people NOT buying gas TODAY!

The "gas out" for a day does nothing because you're still using their gas and are still dependent on their oil. No one stops using gas on the "gas out" they simply don't buy it. The same amount of gas is still pumped on the days preceding and following. There is no net loss for oil companies which makes this "protest" a waste of time that could be spent voting for the brackets on Escapist's March Mayhem. In order to protest properly you might actually have to do something that inconveniences you, like going a MONTH without gas or if your feeling adventurous, a YEAR! Get enough people to do that and you might actually have something. Mmk?

Hey, if I owned a petrol station, know what I'd do?

April 14, petrol is 1.5x the price!

April 16, Petrol is 1.5x the price!

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

Well when you drive that you have no right to complain about fuel prices, you've made that choice to drive that, you don't have a right to drive, there less mention of the right to drive a gas guzzaling car in the constitution than there is about a right to healthcare.

Though fear not, sooner than you think you will not have the choice to drive it as oil will run it or at least be in such short supply fuel will cost $100 a gallon and you will have to buy.....

*Switches to deep menacing voice* An electric car! :O Don't go having a heart attack now, I know you believe they are the tool of the devil but you could always do something even more horrifc, CYCLE!

Yeah. If you want to lower the price of gas, use less gas. Drive less, drive slower, or drive a more gas efficent car. Lower demand=lower prices. Not buying it for one day does nothing other then make the lines at the gas station longer on April 16th.

algalon:
I love it when Europeans come here wondering why us idiots across the pond complain so much about gas. Try proposing a bullet train here and see how far you get. The great thing about living here is there's space. The bad thing is there's space. If we can, we prefer to live 10 miles from the nearest human being. This makes gas prices really matter as the nearest gas station is 10-20 miles away, the nearest mass transit 50-60. That's miles, not kilometers. Yes, we still use those weird measurements here, gallons rather than liters, pounds rather than kilos, feet rather than meters. Odd to you, but not to us. You live in a community of tightly packed nations that survive off each other in a shared economy. If Greece falls, Germany gets to bail them out. If the US goes into a depression, who do we have to look to, China? That's not prejudice, that's reality. I can't ride a bike to town nor can I get a taxi, bus, trolly, subway, or Amtrak. It's not economically feasible to create those networks across nations as large as ours. So yes, gas matters.

then what about australia. sure our petrol prices arnt quite up to europes yet but it is still more expensive than america.

and we only have 22 million people. btw we have decent public transport, even though people still complain about that.

all the stuff you mention has nothing to do with "cannot" and everything to do with " doesnt want to"

I want to ride a train to work every day but wanting it and getting it are two different things.

Rage19:

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

Well when you drive that you have no right to complain about fuel prices, you've made that choice to drive that, you don't have a right to drive, there less mention of the right to drive a gas guzzaling car in the constitution than there is about a right to healthcare.

Though fear not, sooner than you think you will not have the choice to drive it as oil will run it or at least be in such short supply fuel will cost $100 a gallon and you will have to buy.....

*Switches to deep menacing voice* An electric car! :O Don't go having a heart attack now, I know you believe they are the tool of the devil but you could always do something even more horrifc, CYCLE!

I do not complain.

So, I live in Atlanta, Mi. Anybody know where that is? I didn't think so. We have one blinking yellow light in our town. I am American, and I can tell you. As an American, I drive a lot. It's rare for people to not have a vehicle of their own. I have one. My dad has 6. My husband has one. My sister has one. Mystep mother has one. We all do. There isn't public transportation anywhere around here. We have 'dial a rides' which is wear a big desel bus with a bunch of people on it, drive 45 miles to pick you up, and then another 45 miles to bring you home.
My husband has 2 dirt bikes, I have a quad, we have snowmobiles. And though that may all seem like a useless expense, and an unnecessary use of fossil fuels, what can I say? I live in America. When we come up with a better fuel form, I'll switch. But untill then, I'll keep hearing my house with propaine, driving my F-150, and getting muddy on my quad. I'm game for fixing the problem. And I won't get gas on the 15th. But I feel compelled to continue enjoying my life the way I do.

Aleckcys White:
So, I live in Atlanta, Mi. Anybody know where that is? I didn't think so. We have one blinking yellow light in our town. I am American, and I can tell you. As an American, I drive a lot. It's rare for people to not have a vehicle of their own. I have one. My dad has 6. My husband has one. My sister has one. Mystep mother has one. We all do. There isn't public transportation anywhere around here. We have 'dial a rides' which is wear a big desel bus with a bunch of people on it, drive 45 miles to pick you up, and then another 45 miles to bring you home.
My husband has 2 dirt bikes, I have a quad, we have snowmobiles. And though that may all seem like a useless expense, and an unnecessary use of fossil fuels, what can I say? I live in America. When we come up with a better fuel form, I'll switch. But until then, I'll keep hearing my house with propane, driving my F-150, and getting muddy on my quad. I'm game for fixing the problem. And I won't get gas on the 15th. But I feel compelled to continue enjoying my life the way I do.

as with anything the problem arises when the the price of that which you want to "enjoy" becomes more than you can actually afford.

at that point people with their feet on the ground alter their behaviour.
those who don't...

understand this: there is no world wide conspiracy, failure of government or plot by the oil companies to make you pay more for "your" "gas". there is only the reality of a finite resource, a global market and the onset of "peak oil".

feeling entitled or the fact you want to wish to pursue a certain lifestyle doesn't make oil spring forth from the ground.

that being said you are not solely at fault because you've been indulging the talking heads of liars for decades but even then its a lie that you've wanted to hear and believe and so you are complicit in its telling.

if you have been told over 30 years ago by your government that we would hit peak oil around now (as i was) and had actually understood the ramifications just maybe your lives would not revolve around such now unsustainably expensive toys.

oh i understand the next bit: "you are have the right to pursue happiness" etc but i very much doubt the founding fathers meant that to apply irrespective of cost or the basic nature of reality but then maybe that's to be expected given its exactly that kind of "we should be able to afford..." related to stuff that actually you can't kind of thinking that caused people just like you to land the rest of the world in the current finical crisis where we have to live with day to day "austerity" as a result of other peoples apparently bottomless avarice.

in the end the longer people in the US try to manipulate the "gas" price downward the more the market will react by selling more of it in places where they'll actually get a fair market price for it.

what you "want" to happen is largely irrelevant.

SenseOfTumour:

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

I just looked, a Kia Rio, admittedly a small car, does 88mpg. Are people so obsessed with SUVs and the like that they'll not get a small car for a 87.5% fuel costs discount?

Btw, didn't do much research, just googled the name of a small car then looked for the mpg info on their site. Probly even more efficient cars out there.

Because many people enjoy driving and hence buy sports cars and other much more entertaining cars to drive. Not saying that all economical cars are bad but that tends to be the trend for many of them, and the fact that they are made as cheaply as possible to cut down on the cost of the car to appeal to buyers with a lower budget.

Many people would rather buy a car that gets way worse fuel economy in exchange for performance and comfort. Is that illogical? Maybe, but most people in the U.S. that complain about gas prices anyways are just bitching about first world problems.

are you suggesting, even for a moment, that large bore US "sports cars" are more "entertaining to drive" than their smaller bore European and Japanese cousins ?

because unless "entertaining" is some kind of code for makes a lot of noise, uses loads of gas and can't go round a corner properly i don't know anyone, not even clarkson, who would agree.

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

Wow. I drive a 12 year old Explorer and I at least get 15 city and around 20 highway.

Gashad:

the average American makes about 12 dollars an hour, much less then the average western European. that and the fact that american cities are generally built wide and not high, as well as everything being spaced out causes a lot of people to use cars.

SenseOfTumour:

KlLLUMINATI:

Gashad:

depends, in the south most people like big and better. other then that here on the west coast, the only people with large gas guzzling vehicles either have large families or think its cool, there is more of the former then the latter. personally i ride my motorcycle around town since it gets 100 MPG (only has a 2.5 gallon tank though) and for longer trips i take my Honda civic out which gets a good 35-40 MPG. i would buy a KIA Rio if it wasn't for the fact they hold their value like paper and not so reliable.

reonhato:

algalon:

then what about australia. sure our petrol prices arnt quite up to europes yet but it is still more expensive than america.

and we only have 22 million people. btw we have decent public transport, even though people still complain about that.

all the stuff you mention has nothing to do with "cannot" and everything to do with " doesnt want to"

There is one thing you're forgetting, though. Pretty much all of the major population centres of Australia are near the coastlines; almost nobody lives in the Interior, or even goes to the interior in any large numbers.

The US, however, has a large, spread-out population in the midwest and the central US, so public infrastructure only works in densely populated areas, like cities or dense counties.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked