Catholic Priest: "Gay Relationships=Beastiality". Cathoic School Students: "No. GTFO."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Volf:

lol, my "attitude" is nothing more than a observation.

No, it's an attitude of defeat, something which a fair number of people share. "I'm just one person, what can I do? It's the same attitude that has allowed the world to reach the sorry state it is in today.

keiskay:
except it is banned in public schools. you don't have to send your kid to a private or charter school. so as far as im concerned you can do whatever you want with your privately funded school, heck you could open an anti-theist private school if you damn well pleased.

A school is still a school, whether private or public, and it needs to follow certain regulations if it is to be accepted as an institution of learning. Religion has no place in schools be it private, "charter" or boarding.

PercyBoleyn:

Volf:

No, it's an attitude of defeat, something which a fair number of people share. "I'm just one person, what can I do? It's the same attitude that has allowed the world to reach the sorry state it is in today.

keiskay:
except it is banned in public schools. you don't have to send your kid to a private or charter school. so as far as im concerned you can do whatever you want with your privately funded school, heck you could open an anti-theist private school if you damn well pleased.

A school is still a school, whether private or public, and it needs to follow certain regulations if it is to be accepted as an institution of learning. Religion has no place in schools be it private, "charter" or boarding.

And obviously, studying religion is just ridiculous, it's not like it's been a major contributing factor to society throughout history and has remained so to this day. It's not like religion has shaped the world as we know it and if we want children to understand the world they kind of have to understand religion. Nooope.

Didn't think this through, did you?

PercyBoleyn:

Volf:

keiskay:

nope, not really that is a huge false equivalence right there. a public school is funded by the government and should remain secular. a private school is funded, by an organization or by the parents and benefactors who all agree on some level of what should be taught. also regulating private entities does violate freedom of religion now doesn't it? im assuming you also hate that universities have theology classes and the such as well.

"If a homosexual partnership is like bestiality I wish my dogs would make me dinner, I have done that on all my first dates. It is more than sex you know, and frankly I do not see how bestiality is"

A rather lighthearted quote from a friend of mine.

tstorm823:
How about the alternative interpretation that they were trying to have them consider what they will be doing if/when they have their own children and they picked out the seniors as the students closest to the "real world."

If they wanted to simply have the seniors consider their views why even bring up the amendment? You have to admit it smells fishy. It's like me doing a talk on the science of evolution then going "oh btw candidate X supports teaching only evolution in schools".

Volf:
Well I don't see them going anywhere any time soon and if you really don't like them, don't send any future kids to them.

Unfortunately those indoctrinated kids from such schools are still going to grow up to be hatemongering extremists voters and perpetrators of hatecrimes.

It's like founding the 'KKK White Pride Highschool' and then going "Ooh... who could've expected that?" when a pupil from there commits a racist offense.

Xan Krieger:
In the schools defense the students were being really rude and interruptive and you'd think they'd have gotten suspended for it.

So in your world, speaking out against extremely bigoted hatespeech that forms the direct cause of assaults, rapes and murders, is reason to suspend a child.

Reality must be getting a lot of refugees fleeing from your world.

Xan Krieger:
In the schools defense the students were being really rude

Rude? They has just been insulted, they just got called sociologically unstable and compared to people who have sex with animals.

In the students deface this was mere retaliation to utter bullshit an i would have been far more insulting to said presenters.

This is what happens when natural sex goes into the world

Blablahb:

Volf:
Well I don't see them going anywhere any time soon and if you really don't like them, don't send any future kids to them.

Unfortunately those indoctrinated kids from such schools are still going to grow up to be hatemongering extremists voters and perpetrators of hatecrimes.

It's like founding the 'KKK White Pride Highschool' and then going "Ooh... who could've expected that?" when a pupil from there commits a racist offense.

Xan Krieger:
In the schools defense the students were being really rude and interruptive and you'd think they'd have gotten suspended for it.

So in your world, speaking out against extremely bigoted hatespeech that forms the direct cause of assaults, rapes and murders, is reason to suspend a child.

so uh do you have any real arguments other then slippery slopes and demonizing your "enemy".

keiskay:
so uh do you have any real arguments other then slippery slopes and demonizing your "enemy".

Pointing out they are seeding hate is not demonizing, it's fact. It's demonizing when it's untrue. Neither is it a slippery slope. It's documented fact that people who are indoctrinated with hatred, proceed to hate others.

Good for the students to reject this BS... though now I kinda wanna slap the people trying to force it on them...

Blablahb:

keiskay:

Pointing out they are seeding hate is not demonizing, it's fact. It's demonizing when it's untrue. Neither is it a slippery slope. It's documented fact that people who are indoctrinated with hatred, proceed to hate others.

no, not really. not every person raised by KKK members grow up to be racist, not every religious person hates gays, and not every atheist eats babies. so you cant say its true when there is evidence to the contrary.

DANEgerous:
"If a homosexual partnership is like bestiality I wish my dogs would make me dinner, I have done that on all my first dates. It is more than sex you know, and frankly I do not see how bestiality is"

I think I might be in love with your friend.

Meh, at my Catholic High school we got into a disagreement with one of the Nuns from Sister Helen Prejean's group about the death penalty.

DANEgerous:

If he expects his dogs to make him dinner then does that mean...? o__O

j/k, obviously just unfortunate implication. I hope.

Seekster:
Meh, at my Catholic High school we got into a disagreement with one of the Nuns from Sister Helen Prejean's group about the death penalty.

Let me guess, you were in favour of it but the Nuns were actually Christ-like about not killing people?

Karma168:

If they wanted to simply have the seniors consider their views why even bring up the amendment? You have to admit it smells fishy. It's like me doing a talk on the science of evolution then going "oh btw candidate X supports teaching only evolution in schools".

Wait, you're against societal awareness?

PercyBoleyn:

Volf:

keiskay:

lol, defeat? You make it sound as if I want to get rid of religious schools, which I don't.

Blablahb:

Volf:

Xan Krieger:

except the KKK and religion are like apples and oranges.

keiskay:
nope, not really that is a huge false equivalence right there. a public school is funded by the government and should remain secular. a private school is funded, by an organization or by the parents and benefactors who all agree on some level of what should be taught. also regulating private entities does violate freedom of religion now doesn't it? im assuming you also hate that universities have theology classes and the such as well.

Actually, no. Even private institutions, in order to be classified as schools, have to meet public curriculum requirements that set the bare minimums of what needs to be taught (math, science, history, etc). After that they can teach whatever they want, but just because they are a private institution, even if religiously affiliated, does not mean they are exempt from minimum standards.

It also should be noted that there are very few schools in the industrial world, public or private, who do not receive some sort of funding from a government, either through social programs or other assistance.

The Gentleman:

keiskay:

Actually, no. Even private institutions, in order to be classified as schools, have to meet public curriculum requirements that set the bare minimums of what needs to be taught (math, science, history, etc). After that they can teach whatever they want, but just because they are a private institution, even if religiously affiliated, does not mean they are exempt from minimum standards.

It also should be noted that there are very few schools in the industrial world, public or private, who do not receive some sort of funding from a government, either through social programs or other assistance.

yes i understand that part, but outlawing or banning religious teaching or practices from a privately funded school is an entirely different matter.

Volf:

Blablahb:

Volf:

Xan Krieger:

You do notice that does nothing to deter his point don't you? They are public institutions you can model them after any ideology you wish as long as you can get accreted. His point is when you raise a child to hate a group a people they are far more likely to do so and to do so violently. I would count the people giving this presentation among those who would contribute to this albeit subtly as they dismiss the subjects (The Adopted and homosexuals in this case) to which they refer as less than human.

HAHAHA YEA! This made my day XD.

Just on a side note, I do know a few Catholics and all but the most hardcore are completely tolerant of homosexuals.

DANEgerous:

Volf:

Blablahb:

You do notice that does nothing to deter his point don't you? They are public institutions you can model them after any ideology you wish as long as you can get accreted. His point is when you raise a child to hate a group a people they are far more likely to do so and to do so violently. I would count the people giving this presentation among those who would contribute to this albeit subtly as they dismiss the subjects (The Adopted and homosexuals in this case) to which they refer as less than human.

and you do realize that religion is not the same as a hate group right?

You mean they tend to be different. Because they can be one in the same with ease.

ReservoirAngel:

Seekster:

Let me guess, you were in favour of it but the Nuns were actually Christ-like about not killing people?

Yup, Prejean's flaw is she thinks only of the murder and their family and forgets about the family of the victim and of the victim themselves.

I respect her stance but I cannot agree with it.

Wait, so were the debates real-life flame wars or constructive discussions? I'm getting two conflicting images here...

Regardless, those students are downright heroic for standing up for their beliefs when they could've easily just sat there and rolled their eyes. Maybe the presenters were given some food for thought...

Seekster:

ReservoirAngel:

Seekster:

Yup, Prejean's flaw is she thinks only of the murder and their family and forgets about the family of the victim and of the victim themselves.

I respect her stance but I cannot agree with it.

Except it's not really her stance when Jesus himself was against Capital Punishment, "turn the other cheek" and all those other teachings condemning killing and violence.

Elcarsh:

Xan Krieger:
In the schools defense the students were being really rude and interruptive and you'd think they'd have gotten suspended for it. The way those students handled the situation was innapropriate and they should've told the principal about it instead of causing a disruption.

They were forced to attend a presentation about how evil adoption and homosexuality is, and they should be suspended for not shutting up and applauding?

What the devil?

Nobody is asking them to applaud but they are asked to be respectful. That's what students are supposed to be. Disagreeing with one's speech doesn't mean you have the right to act like a jackass. If it would have happened in the catholic highschool i went to they would have gotten detention or been suspended for such behavior.

PercyBoleyn:
This shit wouldn't be happening if religious schools, and in fact all private schools centered on certain ideologies, would be outlawed.

Meanwhile in Belgium Catholic Highschool are praised for their educational value. Everyone who wants their kids to have a good education sends them there because they are known to have a much better education. Sure they waste a couple of hours a week with religion classes but they catch up by enforcing much better discipline.

So sure outlaw catholic schools, destroy the best ones.

PrinceOfShapeir:
And obviously, studying religion is just ridiculous, it's not like it's been a major contributing factor to society throughout history and has remained so to this day. It's not like religion has shaped the world as we know it and if we want children to understand the world they kind of have to understand religion. Nooope.

"Religion in schools" doesn't generally mean taking a look at the Sociology of Religion or the historical effects of the popularity of certain doctrines or theocratic power structures. It refers to school-led prayer, worship, proselytizing, and so on.

DANEgerous:

You mean they tend to be different. Because they can be one in the same with ease.

They are very different from one another.

Seanchaidh:

"Religion in schools" doesn't generally mean taking a look at the Sociology of Religion or the historical effects of the popularity of certain doctrines or theocratic power structures. It refers to school-led prayer, worship, proselytizing, and so on.

Went to Catholic High School:
Average time per month in group prayer: 3 hours or so (biweekly mass and daily morning prayer)
Average time per month studying church doctrine and history: 18 hours (1 class every day)

You are horribly, hideously wrong.

Seanchaidh:

PrinceOfShapeir:

Than you need to go to Belgian Catholic High schools. Prayers? Only during that one time every 2 months we have to go to church. And any other religious practices? None except the fact clothes couldn't be too revealing and there were crucifixes in every classrooms. And off course 2 hours of religion per week that in the early years were about the content of the bible and the last two years more about ethics/morals (and that without saying: the bible is THE moral guideline, no it was more about filosofying about morals in general while keeping an eye on what was written in the bible, a critical eye do you mind).

A religious school isn't always a school endoctrinating children into becoming rick santorum like folks.

Volf:

Elcarsh:

Xan Krieger:
In the schools defense the students were being really rude and interruptive and you'd think they'd have gotten suspended for it. The way those students handled the situation was innapropriate and they should've told the principal about it instead of causing a disruption.

They were forced to attend a presentation about how evil adoption and homosexuality is, and they should be suspended for not shutting up and applauding?

What the devil?

They don't have to like or agree with what it being expressed but just like all other assemblies, students should face repercussions if they break school rules.

Befehl ist Befehl, right?

Speaking up for something that you feel is wrong is kind of more important then some silly school rules. What are you, a Paladin?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked