Catholic Priest: "Gay Relationships=Beastiality". Cathoic School Students: "No. GTFO."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Bassik:

Volf:

Elcarsh:

They were forced to attend a presentation about how evil adoption and homosexuality is, and they should be suspended for not shutting up and applauding?

What the devil?

They don't have to like or agree with what it being expressed but just like all other assemblies, students should face repercussions if they break school rules.

Befehl ist Befehl, right?

Speaking up for something that you feel is wrong is kind of more important then some silly school rules. What are you, a Paladin?

I can easily see Volf being a Lawful Stupid kind of Paladin, enforcing loyalty to any form of authority he personally liked.

OP: The presenters here were nakedly insulting, so good on the kids for calling them out on their bullshit and shame on anyone critising them for not shutting up and acting like sheep.

keiskay:
. a private school is funded, by an organization or by the parents and benefactors who all agree on some level of what should be taught.

Sorry, a school is still a school and needs to follow regulations. You can't just let any idiot start a school and teach whatever the fuck they like.

keiskay:
also regulating private entities does violate freedom of religion now doesn't it?

How does it violate freedom of religion? You're still free to practice your religion except you can no longer create an institution with the specific purpose of indoctrinating children into Christianity and breeding hate towards minorities.

Children are not adults, they should not be burdened with religion until they're at least teenagers and even then, its the parents who have the duty to talk to their child about it, not schools.

keiskay:
im assuming you also hate that universities have theology classes and the such as well.

Stop strawmanning my arguments. I have no problem with theology classes because the people who are at university are over the age of eighteen and perfectly capable of making their own decision in life.

PrinceOfShapeir:

And obviously, studying religion is just ridiculous, it's not like it's been a major contributing factor to society throughout history and has remained so to this day. It's not like religion has shaped the world as we know it and if we want children to understand the world they kind of have to understand religion. Nooope.

Didn't think this through, did you?

They don't study religion, they study Christianity. More specifically, they attempt to enforce the Christian ideology on kids and teens. Besides, there already IS a class dealing with religion. It's called History, look it up.

generals3:

Meanwhile in Belgium Catholic Highschool are praised for their educational value. Everyone who wants their kids to have a good education sends them there because they are known to have a much better education. Sure they waste a couple of hours a week with religion classes but they catch up by enforcing much better discipline.

So sure outlaw catholic schools, destroy the best ones.

Sorry, not everyone lives in Belgium. Also, just because Catholic schools in Belgium have a much higher standard of education doesn't mean they should be allowed to proselytize to kids.

Volf:
lol, my "attitude" is nothing more than a observation.

Tolerating and defending efforts made to spread concious hatespeech that intends to disrupt social relations and promote hatecrimes, is not an observation, it's a choice. A choice to allow something to happen which can easily be prevented if enough people speak out against it.

It's like a guy with a gun and a balaclava charges into a store, screams he wants money, and someone there who has a chance to stop him at zero risk instead goes "But wait, we don't know for sure he'll commit a robbery. He has a right to run around with a balaclava as a fashion choice you know, I can't tell him what to wear". And that's apathy, and a pretty lousy excuse.

And there's no school rule anywhere that says "When confronted with hatemongers, pupils must bend over apathetically and be bumfucked by them". Although on that topic, catholic, hmm....

Volf:

DANEgerous:

You mean they tend to be different. Because they can be one in the same with ease.

They are very different from one another.

Not when a faith would deny legal right due to sexual orientation they are not, in that way they are rather identical same goes for the fact they tend to be viewed as less than human which I must say applies to a rather sad number of religious groups, perhaps not your but to imply they are mutually exclusive is absurd.

Even the KKK is deeply rooted in religion if you are not a Protestant Christian you may not join the KKK they also consider themselves and have a church have a place of worship on almost all meeting sites.

I went to DeLaSalle Revesby here in Sydney Australia for my whole seconday education, I was in a religion class every year which was in no way bible bashing, we didn't even have bibles in the room most of the time. If they were used it was to reference things to argue against more often than not, eg slavery permitted in the old testament.
We discussed morality and social issues, the brother who taught us answered questions about the churches position and we were encouraged to explore and talk about our opinion. The whole idea was to understand our morality and develop our ability to analyse situations to come to a moral conclusion, to prepare us for the adult world.
I was permitted and encouraged to express why I believed the churches position on gay marriage and contraception was bullshit, I even used that word freely in the class without repercussions.

Wish my Catholic school had been more like that. Would of saved me a lot of trouble.
Well with every generation more and more people seem to be tolerant of others. So in 40 years maybe we can finally put this gay marriage behind us and move onto more important things, like the economy and the debt.

PercyBoleyn:

Children are not adults, they should not be burdened with religion until they're at least teenagers and even then, its the parents who have the duty to talk to their child about it, not schools.

This story is about high school seniors!

Sorry, not everyone lives in Belgium. Also, just because Catholic schools in Belgium have a much higher standard of education doesn't mean they should be allowed to proselytize to kids.

That's not just Belgium, that's everywhere. There is absolutely nowhere that Catholic schools are inferior to the public education system. Anywhere.

How do I know this? Because public schools are free, and people won't pay to get a worse product. You are wrong on every account. You have a horrendously warped and biased perception of catholic schools, and until you know anything about them other than what you made up in your head from hearing the name, shut up. You have done nothing this thread but spew nonsense.

tstorm823:
That's not just Belgium, that's everywhere. There is absolutely nowhere that Catholic schools are inferior to the public education system. Anywhere.

Only if you measure it strictly grade-wise, and the public non-religious system gets all the low-chance immigrant children.

Where that happens to not be the case, others outperform catholic schools. I dug up a region next to where I went to school, which is extremely low on immigrants: the Het Gooi region in the Netherlands, in the town of Bussum.

There, the catholic Sint-Vituscollege is outperformed by the public Goois Lyceum with a higher graduation percentage, smaller classes, higher grades and better pupil approval rating according to comparison databank The School Compass.

Occasionally, the protestant Christian school there outperforms it's catholic cousin as well.

Right next town to where I live now, in Zeist, Utrecht Province, the catholic 'Catholic School Community' college performs much much worse than the Stichtse Vrije School a free school. The Christelijk Lyceum Zeist, protestant, also outperforms it's catholic cousin. Graduation percentage on the catholic school is 3% lower and average grades are 0,4/10,0 worse than on other schools.

Your sweeping generalisation has been busted.

tstorm823:

Way to talk about shit I never mentioned in my post.

tstorm823:
You are wrong on every account. You have a horrendously warped and biased perception of catholic schools, and until you know anything about them other than what you made up in your head from hearing the name, shut up. You have done nothing this thread but spew nonsense.

And what nonsense is that? Religion has no place in school, be it public or otherwise.

PercyBoleyn:

generals3:

Meanwhile in Belgium Catholic Highschool are praised for their educational value. Everyone who wants their kids to have a good education sends them there because they are known to have a much better education. Sure they waste a couple of hours a week with religion classes but they catch up by enforcing much better discipline.

So sure outlaw catholic schools, destroy the best ones.

Well actually the reason i mentioned that is because you seem to think all religious schools are bad which isn't the case. They can actually offer a very good education without trying to create religious fundamentalists. It's all about doing it right.

How do I know this? Because public schools are free, and people won't pay to get a worse product.

Well it's not even about the funding, the catholic schools in Belgium are actually publicly funded. It's actually their more conservative approach to education. They aren't scared to give bad grades nor to punish difficult students and so the students end up working harder and learning more.

Blablahb:

tstorm823:

Only if you measure it strictly grade-wise, and the public non-religious system gets all the low-chance immigrant children.

Where that happens to not be the case, others outperform catholic schools. I dug up a region next to where I went to school, which is extremely low on immigrants: the Het Gooi region in the Netherlands, in the town of Bussum.

There, the catholic Sint-Vituscollege is outperformed by the public Goois Lyceum with a higher graduation percentage, smaller classes, higher grades and better pupil approval rating according to comparison databank The School Compass.

Occasionally, the protestant Christian school there outperforms it's catholic cousin as well.

Right next town to where I live now, in Zeist, Utrecht Province, the catholic 'Catholic School Community' college performs much much worse than the Stichtse Vrije School a free school. The Christelijk Lyceum Zeist, protestant, also outperforms it's catholic cousin. Graduation percentage on the catholic school is 3% lower and average grades are 0,4/10,0 worse than on other schools.

Actually it's not always a grade issue. If anything grades being lower doesn't mean it's worse. It's how easily they give grades that matter. But what i have noticed is how easy me and my colleagues who graduated from my school have it at university compared to others. And also the fact that whenever there is talk about "garbage schools" or "elite school" the catholic schools mentioned always belong to the latter category. Off course there are certain catholic schools that aren't that good and certain public schools that do very well but overall there is a tendency for catholic schools to be more "elite" than the other public ones.

generals3:
Well actually the reason i mentioned that is because you seem to think all religious schools are bad which isn't the case.

I have never made that claim. My point was that religion has no place in schools.

generals3:
They can actually offer a very good education without trying to create religious fundamentalists. It's all about doing it right.

No, it's not. This has nothing to do with teaching Christianity "right", it's about throwing religion out of schools.

Bassik:

Volf:

Elcarsh:

They were forced to attend a presentation about how evil adoption and homosexuality is, and they should be suspended for not shutting up and applauding?

What the devil?

They don't have to like or agree with what it being expressed but just like all other assemblies, students should face repercussions if they break school rules.

Befehl ist Befehl, right?

Speaking up for something that you feel is wrong is kind of more important then some silly school rules. What are you, a Paladin?

Its not even noon yet and already with Godwins law?

This wasn't a trail or a procedure for an execution, this was a school assembly. Do you know what would happen to laws preventing homosexuals from marrying if these kids had stayed quiet? Nothing, nothing at all.

PercyBoleyn:

keiskay:
. a private school is funded, by an organization or by the parents and benefactors who all agree on some level of what should be taught.

Sorry, a school is still a school and needs to follow regulations. You can't just let any idiot start a school and teach whatever the fuck they like.

keiskay:
also regulating private entities does violate freedom of religion now doesn't it?

How does it violate freedom of religion? You're still free to practice your religion except you can no longer create an institution with the specific purpose of indoctrinating children into Christianity and breeding hate towards minorities.

keiskay:
im assuming you also hate that universities have theology classes and the such as well.

Stop strawmanning my arguments. I have no problem with theology classes because the people who are at university are over the age of eighteen and perfectly capable of making their own decision in life.

oh i understand perfectly that all schools have to follow a minimum curriculum, but private schools exist to go beyond that minimum curriculum and usually teach other things which are decided by the parents and board of that private school. if a parent want to indoctrinate their kid with religious beliefs its gonna happen anyways, whether they go to a secular school or not, other wise memetics would be invalidated by the large population of public school taught children. now, now dont fall into an argument based solely on your biases towards religion, not all private schools with religious backing promote or teach hate. sure, this school did but thats hardly a reason to condemn all religious based schools. to let you know 18 is a very arbitrary point to decide whether a person is mature and knowledgeable enough to make their own decisions in life. some people are just born as sheep, following every eb and flow til they die, making barely any decisions for themselves in life. so for all we know a person like that taking theology might convert or follow the professors personal biases towards the subject. this happens more then you would think.

DANEgerous:
Not when a faith would deny legal right due to sexual orientation they are not, in that way they are rather identical same goes for the fact they tend to be viewed as less than human which I must say applies to a rather sad number of religious groups, perhaps not your but to imply they are mutually exclusive is absurd.

Even the KKK is deeply rooted in religion if you are not a Protestant Christian you may not join the KKK they also consider themselves and have a church have a place of worship on almost all meeting sites.

They are not same.

keiskay:
oh i understand perfectly that all schools have to follow a minimum curriculum, but private schools exist to go beyond that minimum curriculum and usually teach other things which are decided by the parents and board of that private school.

If a private school wanted to teach its students that Adolf Hitler was a great man, should that be allowed?

keiskay:
if a parent want to indoctrinate their kid with religious beliefs its gonna happen anyways, whether they go to a secular school or not, other wise memetics would be invalidated by the large population of public school taught children.

This isn't about indoctrination, this is specifically about institutions supposedly created for the good of children/teens used as means to force a certain ideology on them.

keiskay:
now, now dont fall into an argument based solely on your biases towards religion, not all private schools with religious backing promote or teach hate.

I have no bias towards religion. I will support your right to practice whatever belief you want, I will not support your attempts at forcing those beliefs on other people. This isn't about hate or whatever bullshit Catholic schools promote, this is about religion having absolutely no place in schools.

keiskay:
sure, this school did but thats hardly a reason to condemn all religious based schools.

I will condemn all religious based schools because religion has no place in public schools.

keiskay:
to let you know 18 is a very arbitrary point to decide whether a person is mature and knowledgeable enough to make their own decisions in life.

Of course it's different for every person but by the age of eighteen most people are well within their means to decide for themselves.

keiskay:
so for all we know a person like that taking theology might convert or follow the professors personal biases towards the subject.

As long as they're adults it doesn't matter.

Blablahb:

Well that's not fair, I can't even navigate that example with google translate.

But if you're being honest and a private Catholic school is outperformed by a publicly funded school, then I'd like you to explain why anyone goes there.

Of course there's always the possibility that those points of comparison are worthless (e.g. the public school near me had much higher average gpa because they weighted their classes differently. If you took all the hardest classes at my school and did perfect, you could get weighted up to a 4.2/4.0 gpa. At the public school, you could get up to a 6.5/4.0, and now it's just getting rediculous.) It is possible that none of those four points of comparison are actually representative of the quality of education. If the school gave everyone A's for learning practically nothing, they have high graduation percentage (100%), high grades (all As), high pupil approval (cause kids like been given free grades), and low class size (because no parent would want to send their kids there). I don't know. I'm just painting a possiblity because I can't actually understand your example.

Seriously though, if you're being serious and not just trying to mess with me (which I deserve cause I do it to you all the time), I'd really like to know why someone would pay to send their kids to a more crowded, inferior teaching school than the free one, and I don't know what cultural impetus near you might cause that. On to the more important response.

PercyBoleyn:

tstorm823:

Way to talk about shit I never mentioned in my post.

Really? He talked about Catholic Schools being good in Belgium, your response is "sorry not everyone lives in Belgium", and I'm not allowed to address that his statement applies to more than just Belgium? What crack are you snorting?

And what nonsense is that? Religion has no place in school, be it public or otherwise.

Shall we? (in reverse chronological order)

They don't study religion, they study Christianity. More specifically, they attempt to enforce the Christian ideology on kids and teens. (This is a lie)

Children are not adults, they should not be burdened with religion until they're at least teenagers... (This is just a silly statement)

Sorry, a school is still a school and needs to follow regulations. (and Catholic schools follow the same regulations as any other school, except they can teach about Catholicism. The curriculum is transparent. The staff all have proper credentials. Our AP classes are audited like everyone else.)

Religion has no place in schools be it private, "charter" or boarding. (This is an unbased statement made in an authoritative tone. You do that plenty, so I'll just use this one example)

This shit wouldn't be happening if religious schools, and in fact all private schools centered on certain ideologies, would be outlawed. (or they'd do it in places that aren't "schools." Whatever.)

Fact of the matter is that Catholic school (and religious education in general) leads to informed religious. Informed religious people are like most of the religious debating in this forum. Uninformed religious are the one's saying "Kill muslim's cause Jesus!" Knowledge and understanding of something does not hurt people. Studying religion is not brainwashing. Trying to ban education of something is just leading a revolution of ignorance. And you could certainly be the General of Ignorance.

tstorm823:
Really? He talked about Catholic Schools being good in Belgium, your response is "sorry not everyone lives in Belgium", and I'm not allowed to address that his statement applies to more than just Belgium?

I have never made the claim that public schools are better than Catholic schools or vice versa.

tstorm823:
Fact of the matter is that Catholic school (and religious education in general) leads to informed religious

Prove it.

tstorm823:
Informed religious people are like most of the religious debating in this forum. Uninformed religious are the one's saying "Kill muslim's cause Jesus!" Knowledge and understanding of something does not hurt people.

Catholic schools focus on the Catholic faith, more specifically it tries to instill Catholic "values" on children who attend. That's the point of ideological based schools, otherwise there'd be no reason for them to exist.

By the way, I went to an Orthodox school so please don't try and pull the "informed" angle on me because that's simply untrue.

tstorm823:
Knowledge and understanding of something does not hurt people. Studying religion is not brainwashing.

Then why do schools which specifically focus on Christianity exist? Public schools already study religion quite broadly during History class.

tstorm823:
Trying to ban education of something is just leading a revolution of ignorance. And you could certainly be the General of Ignorance.

As I've said before, public schools already study religion. Saying that anyone who didn't go to a Catholic school is ignorant of religion is simply bullshit.

tstorm823:

Karma168:

If they wanted to simply have the seniors consider their views why even bring up the amendment? You have to admit it smells fishy. It's like me doing a talk on the science of evolution then going "oh btw candidate X supports teaching only evolution in schools".

Wait, you're against societal awareness?

This isn't social awareness, it's political campaigning to a group that aren't even registered to vote.

wikipedia:
Social consciousness is consciousness shared within a society. It can also be defined as social awareness; to be aware of the problems that different societies and communities face on a day-to-day basis; to be conscious of the difficulties and hardships of society.

Teach that all you want; explain how different groups are treated differently based on sex, race or religion and the problems that causes but don't make it a political statement.

As one of the people in the article says, the first 75% was good and discussed issues that can be considered social awareness. However the fact that the speakers then used their points to argue that their views entitle them to create difficulties in society flies in the face of simply trying to raise awareness; they were laying out the points they were going to use as 'evidence' for their views. If they hadn't had such a negative reaction from the crowd I would bet my bottom dollar they would be trying to rally support for their side at the polls.

If they wanted to raise a political issue at the school they should have simply made a bunch of leaflets and told the pupils to read them if they were interested, but attempting to force the pupils to sit through a political rally they do not agree with is not the way to go. How would you like to be forced to attend a political rally for the political party you don't support?

Volf:

DANEgerous:

They are not same.

Ehhhhhhrrrr not even close to what i was going for, you may want to note that i am a Christian.

DANEgerous:
snip

Its what you were doing, the two of them are not the same.

Volf:

DANEgerous:
snip

Let me put it this way. You're wrong.

If you can not see why after I have explained it twice i am afraid there is nothing more that i can do.

PercyBoleyn:

Catholic schools focus on the Catholic faith, more specifically it tries to instill Catholic "values" on children who attend. That's the point of ideological based schools, otherwise there'd be no reason for them to exist.

No, Catholic schools focus on school, I.E. Catholic schools don't care if you're Catholic or not while you're a student there, but they do care if you are learning.

That's like someone buying a band t-shirt and you saying the shirt only exists for the band and ignore that the person is going to use it as clothing. Of course Catholic schools wouldn't exist without Catholic values in them, that doesn't mean they don't exist to be schools.

By the way, I went to an Orthodox school so please don't try and pull the "informed" angle on me because that's simply untrue.

Wait, so are you saying that you aren't informed?

Then why do schools which specifically focus on Christianity exist? Public schools already study religion quite broadly during History class.

As I've said before, public schools already study religion. Saying that anyone who didn't go to a Catholic school is ignorant of religion is simply bullshit.

Ha! No they don't! What schools do you think created the population in this board screaming constantly about the Crusades and how that is representatve of religion? At any rate, history studies events, like telling you the Protestant Reformation happened. History class doesn't get into the debates about faith vs good deeds or predestination that were actually moving the religions. Even more, we knew about the events of religion before high school, in high school it was legitimate theology class, much closer to philosophy than history, and you can't even start to claim that philosophy is well represented in high schools.

Karma168:

This isn't social awareness, it's political campaigning to a group that aren't even registered to vote.

wikipedia:
Social consciousness is consciousness shared within a society. It can also be defined as social awareness; to be aware of the problems that different societies and communities face on a day-to-day basis; to be conscious of the difficulties and hardships of society.

Teach that all you want; explain how different groups are treated differently based on sex, race or religion and the problems that causes but don't make it a political statement.

As one of the people in the article says, the first 75% was good and discussed issues that can be considered social awareness. However the fact that the speakers then used their points to argue that their views entitle them to create difficulties in society flies in the face of simply trying to raise awareness; they were laying out the points they were going to use as 'evidence' for their views. If they hadn't had such a negative reaction from the crowd I would bet my bottom dollar they would be trying to rally support for their side at the polls.

If they wanted to raise a political issue at the school they should have simply made a bunch of leaflets and told the pupils to read them if they were interested, but attempting to force the pupils to sit through a political rally they do not agree with is not the way to go. How would you like to be forced to attend a political rally for the political party you don't support?

It wasn't a political rally. They just mentioned the current law debates along with the relevant topic and then stopped. The student being interviewed decided for herself that the entire presentation was for that purpose and that they stopped talking about it because people got angry. I don't know how your school worked, but I can't think of any time the faculty changed their plans cause the students didn't like what was going on. I am 100% positive that they only ever intended to just mention the amendment and this girl is, quite frankly, full of crap when she tries to claim what the school was planning to do.

DANEgerous:

Volf:

DANEgerous:
snip

If you can not see why after I have explained it twice i am afraid there is nothing more that i can do.

Look up false equivalency, because that is exactly what you were doing. For the final time(hopefully) the Klu Klux Klan are not the same thing as Christianity or any other Abrahamic religion.

Volf:

DANEgerous:

Volf:

Look up false equivalency, because that is exactly what you were doing. For the final time(hopefully) the Klu Klux Klan are not the same thing as Christianity or any other Abrahamic religion.

And you are still not getting it, not even on a basic level oh well fuck it let's just leave it at i never thought such a thing.

tstorm823:
No, Catholic schools focus on school, I.E. Catholic schools don't care if you're Catholic or not while you're a student there, but they do care if you are learning.

That's like someone buying a band t-shirt and you saying the shirt only exists for the band and ignore that the person is going to use it as clothing. Of course Catholic schools wouldn't exist without Catholic values in them, that doesn't mean they don't exist to be schools.

Catholic "values" have no place in school.

tstorm823:
Wait, so are you saying that you aren't informed?

If by "informed" you mean being told that evolution is bullshit and that the Sun is the only star in the Galaxy then sure, I was "informed".

tstorm823:
At any rate, history studies events.

That's the point.

tstorm823:
History class doesn't get into the debates about faith vs good deeds or predestination that were actually moving the religions.

I think that goes more into the realm of philosophy. If you want a pilosophy class in high school then I wouldn't necesssarily object to that even though I believe philosophy is much to complex and subjective to be part of high school curriculum. At any rate, if you believe schools should focus on philosophy then you've got your answer.

Besides, that's obviously not the point of Catholic schools. Catholic schools exist for the sole purpose of instilling the Catholic religion into the students. You can't honestly tell me parents pay thousands of dollars every year just for an extra class dealing with philosophy.

...This makes me so happy. Go students! You guys rock! Throw off the shackles of dickishness!

DANEgerous:
snip

The only thing I can't "get" is how you don't understand that your using a false equivalency.

PercyBoleyn:

Catholic "values" have no place in school.

Still just an unbased statement.

If by "informed" you mean being told that evolution is bullshit and that the Sun is the only star in the Galaxy then sure, I was "informed".

I definitely believe you learned that in school [/sarcasm]

tstorm823:
History class doesn't get into the debates about faith vs good deeds or predestination that were actually moving the religions.

I think that goes more into the realm of philosophy. If you want a pilosophy class in high school then I wouldn't necesssarily object to that even though I believe philosophy is much to complex and subjective to be part of high school curriculum. At any rate, if you believe schools should focus on philosophy then you've got your answer.

Besides, that's obviously not the point of Catholic schools. Catholic schools exist for the sole purpose of instilling the Catholic religion into the students. You can't honestly tell me parents pay thousands of dollars every year just for an extra class dealing with philosophy.[/quote]

a) What sort of bastard cuts out half my statement and then repeats it as an answer.
b) How could having values in high school be more detrimental than ignoring whole areas of study (that function without requiring previous courses)?
c) They pay for what they believe is a better education, just like anyone sending kids to private school. It's not like all parents that send kids to catholic school are doing so because they think public schools are going to turn their kids into evil pagans.

PercyBoleyn:

FYI, the Catholic church itself teaches that evolution is correct. You're thinking of some of those evangelical Protestant groups who don't.

Volf:

DANEgerous:
snip

The only thing I can't "get" is how you don't understand that your using a false equivalency.

They are claiming homosexuality equates to bestiality and that adopted kids are sociologically unstable, any one that would make such a moronic statement is a hateful bastard regardless of their faith, gender, ethnicity or any other varying factor. The group the belong to in absolutely IRRELEVANT i am stating people who say this are hateful bastards because they are and it is not because of any social standing it is due to the very actions.

Did it even occur to you the only group i mention beside the parties in the artificial is the KKK a group to i gave fact one and never compared to... well any group in fact. If i did not even make a comparison where is false equivalency?

DANEgerous:
snip

You keep telling me you don't want to discuss this anymore and yet you keep replying.

Then you should have made it more clear, you made it sound like you were commenting on all religion being like that, not just a few people.

tstorm823:
Still just an unbased statement.

Unbased how? Religion has no place in school.

tstorm823:
What sort of bastard cuts out half my statement and then repeats it as an answer.

What are you talking about?

tstorm823:
How could having values in high school be more detrimental than ignoring whole areas of study (that function without requiring previous courses)?

Because those values pertain to a particular religion. If you want to have a philosophy class in school then I'm fine with that but what I'm not fined is an entire educational institution based on a particular ideology.

tstorm823:
They pay for what they believe is a better education, just like anyone sending kids to private school. It's not like all parents that send kids to catholic school are doing so because they think public schools are going to turn their kids into evil pagans.

And that "better" education could be achieved by sending the child to a secular institution. The reason why people choose to send their kids to Catholic schools should be painfully obvious.

Yosarian2:

FYI, the Catholic church itself teaches that evolution is correct. You're thinking of some of those evangelical Protestant groups who don't.

No, I'm thinking about the state of the educational system in my country. Religion, more specifically Orthodoxism, is an obligatory course here that deals specifically with attempting to sway kids and teens alike into the Orthodox Church's way of thinking.

PercyBoleyn:

Unbased how? Religion has no place in school.

Beef jerky has no place in a grocery store.

tstorm823:
What sort of bastard cuts out half my statement and then repeats it as an answer.

What are you talking about?

I said theology was more like a philosophy class, you snipped off the part where I said that and replied "I think that goes more into the realm of philosophy" as though that hadn't been suggested.

Because those values pertain to a particular religion. If you want to have a philosophy class in school then I'm fine with that but what I'm not fined is an entire educational institution based on a particular ideology.

Because we base our algebra classes on Jesus.

And that "better" education could be achieved by sending the child to a secular institution. The reason why people choose to send their kids to Catholic schools should be painfully obvious.

Because they are better, I know. You know, like half the schools students weren't from Catholic families, right? People just wanted to send their kids to be educated by a competant organization...

tstorm823:
Beef jerky has no place in a grocery store.

We're not talking about meat.

tstorm823:
I said theology was more like a philosophy class, you snipped off the part where I said that and replied "I think that goes more into the realm of philosophy" as though that hadn't been suggested.

You stated that Catholic schools provide a more comprehensive education on the philosophical aspects of religion. I suggested that if philosophy is important enough to require Church sanctioned educational institutions then we should incorporate a philosophy class into public/private schools and do away with ideological based schools. I fail to see what the problem is.

tstorm823:
Because we base our algebra classes on Jesus.

No, but the emphasis is on the Catholic religion and religion has no place in schools.

tstorm823:
Because they are better, I know. You know, like half the schools students weren't from Catholic families, right? People just wanted to send their kids to be educated by a competant organization...

And that means what? It's still a school, it's still an institution of learning and religion still has no place in it. Besides, if Catholic schools in your country are trully better than the public option then people who want nothing to do with religion are being forced to go there as long as they desire a decent education. So basically, it's forced Catholicism.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked