'Merchant of Death' sentenced to 25 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17634050

From the article:

Arms dealer Viktor Bout, dubbed the "merchant of death", has been sentenced to 25 years in jail by a US judge.
During the sentencing, the ex-Soviet officer shouted "It's a lie" as the prosecution said he had agreed to sell weapons to kill Americans.

"Twenty-five years is sufficient," US judge Shira Scheindlin said after Bout insisted he was innocent. She also ordered him to forfeit $15m (9.5m).

Sentencing had been delayed twice as his lawyer asked for more time to prepare and accused prosecutors of "outrageous government conduct" for allegedly entrapping the Russian.
"Viktor was baiting them along with the promise of arms, hoping just to sell his planes," lawyer Albert Dayan told the court.

Bout - who was the inspiration for the arms smuggler in the 2005 Hollywood film Lord of War - remained in custody in Thailand for two years, before being extradited to the US to face trial.

---

If only they can get Nicholas Cage now as well! :P

But seriously, it's great that they've got this guy. He's probably done more to help horrible causes than most others I can think of, outside of governments anyway.
And I wonder how the Russians will react? It's implied that he was heavily involved in their intelligence operations, so it should be interesting to say the least...

Update:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17636783
The Russians are annoyed!

Seems like there isn't much doubt about his guilt.

I have a question about the fine he copped though.

Is that $15m/9.5m coming from the money he earned as an arms dealer? Or is it just a fine after the money (that was proven) to be earned from dealing arms was taken from him?

Thats the coolest name ever. Merchant of death? Holy shit. Badass. If I was him I would record my own rock and roll soundtrack and pay someone to follow me around and play it every time I enter a room. Just imagine it.

As for him getting 25 years, meh.

OneCatch :
US judge Shira Scheindlin

Oh wait, US judge? Was this a US thing? Yeah, fuck you Shira. I guess its fine for the US to sell their weapons to various armies and militias (including, until recently, terrorist organizations in the middle East, by the way) but the moment some Russian dude with the best name ever does it he gets 25 years. Talk about double standards.

OneCatch :
And I wonder how the Russians will react? It's implied that he was heavily involved in their intelligence operations, so it should be interesting to say the least...

I hope they retaliate by arresting the heads of various US weapon manufacturers.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I hope they retaliate by arresting the heads of various US weapon manufacturers.

That would be interesting. The only problem I can see is a question of "how"? After all, I'm fairly sure that the CEOs of Colt, Ruger, S&W, ect, are all in the United States. Unless they visited Russia or another country, I don't see how they'd pull this off.

OneCatch :

"Viktor was baiting them along with the promise of arms, hoping just to sell his planes," lawyer Albert Dayan told the court.

LOL. Sounds like the worst excuse ever. "Oh I was only pretending I was going to do illegal activities to get a sale."

Wait, was he only charged with his crimes against the US and causing the Deaths of Americans?

CM156:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

That would be interesting. The only problem I can see is a question of "how"? After all, I'm fairly sure that the CEOs of Colt, Ruger, S&W, ect, are all in the United States. Unless they visited Russia or another country, I don't see how they'd pull this off.

Yeah, obviously its not going to happen, for various reasons ranging from diplomatic relations to the legal side of things.

Still, it would be cool to see.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

CM156:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Yeah, obviously its not going to happen, for various reasons ranging from diplomatic relations to the legal side of things.

Still, it would be cool to see.

Obviously.

You can have our firearm dealers when you pry them... from our cold, dead HANDS

On one side it's a good thing. On the other side, Bout sold American weapons too, sometimes with the implicit okay of the US government. Yet all those arms manafacturers are not punished. In that sense Bout is being used as a scapegoat so the power of the NRA, which is financed by arms dealers like Bout, won't have to be offended. There's a whole lot more to the arms business, but only those with the wrong nationality are punished.

Most of the people guilty to this arms dealing still walk around freely.

Zekksta:
Seems like there isn't much doubt about his guilt.

I have a question about the fine he copped though.

Is that $15m/9.5m coming from the money he earned as an arms dealer? Or is it just a fine after the money (that was proven) to be earned from dealing arms was taken from him?

I assume that's money earned from arms dealing. It would be a bit of for them to levy a generic fine as well as a 25 years sentence.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OneCatch :

Oh wait, US judge? Was this a US thing? Yeah, fuck you Shira. I guess its fine for the US to sell their weapons to various armies and militias (including, until recently, terrorist organizations in the middle East, by the way) but the moment some Russian dude with the best name ever does it he gets 25 years. Talk about double standards.

Yeah, that's why I added the clause "outside of governments" to my description of him as one of the worst! Regardless, it's still better that he's gone, even if it is rank hypocrisy by the US.

Diablo1099:
Wait, was he only charged with his crimes against the US and causing the Deaths of Americans?

Yeah, that's the only crime under which he could be extradited from Thailand to the US - other crimes could only be tried where they were committed, and the Americans didn't trust anyone else enough to do the prosecution.

Mortai Gravesend:

OneCatch :

LOL. Sounds like the worst excuse ever. "Oh I was only pretending I was going to do illegal activities to get a sale."

And yeah, it's pretty much indefensible. Though the Russians are still having a go:
http://rt.com/news/viktor-bout-sentence-usa-301/
:P

Of course he would be found guilty. This is america we are talking about.

OneCatch :

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OneCatch :

Yeah, that's why I added the clause "outside of governments" to my description of him as one of the worst! Regardless, it's still better that he's gone, even if it is rank hypocrisy by the US.

Yeah, I guess we should be glad a weapon dealer/smuggler is gone, even if the circumstances surrounding his demise smack of hypocrisy.

OneCatch :

I'm sure we could prosecute him for general crimes against humanity right? And if anyone has any doubts, force them to watch The Wicker Man, that will clear things up real fast

Lionsfan:

OneCatch :

I'm sure we could prosecute him for general crimes against humanity right? And if anyone has any doubts, force them to watch The Wicker Man, that will clear things up real fast

At least that film had the unintentionally hilarious aspect that made it kind of bearable to watch.
It's 'Knowing' that I thought was truly awful!

OneCatch :

Lionsfan:

OneCatch :

At least that film had the unintentionally hilarious aspect that made it kind of bearable to watch.
It's 'Knowing' that I thought was truly awful!

That's true. Taken out of context...well it looks like they filmed Nick as he goes through his normal life[1]

And then there's the comedy trailer

Knowing has nothing except a giant steaming pile of crap

[1] Totally stole that comment from the YouTube video

Hmm, for this "Merchant of Death" to finally be brought in and convicted two things had to happen: A) He completely exhausted his use to the US government and B) He must have pissed off someone very high up in the military, some head of state he gave the finger or humped their daughter or something. As long as you are useful and keep your mouth shut you can pretty much do what you want in the underworld as long as you have US sanction, but if you get caught your "Letters of Marque" don't mean a thing.

Sooo. . What about dem other armsdealers? . . Those residing in the US?. . Those that has given weapons to kill lots of other people outside America? no? just this guy?. . okay.

OT: Happy that he got behind bars, hypocrisy or no, one less armsdealer is positive.. Still, his small-time compared to the big US weapons-manufacturers.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked