Do you believe in any faith?
No, I'm totally atheist.
71.1% (64)
71.1% (64)
Yes, I follow a belief that isn't covered by a contemporary religion.
2.2% (2)
2.2% (2)
No, but I have some interest in beliefs that aren't covered by a major religion.
8.9% (8)
8.9% (8)
Maybe, I'm agnostic.
17.8% (16)
17.8% (16)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: To the anti-religious among us, do you have any faith?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just something I was wondering about those of you who don't follow contemporary religion (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.). Do you have some faith in any belief that isn't covered by a major modern religion? It could be Europagan, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, any kind of animism, etc.

I'm totally Atheist. I mean, I have hope and I have dreams, but I don't truly believe in them. It's just something that may as well be locked away in a box at the back of my head.

Not even the contemporary religions seem to have a coherent definition of God. I mean, they describe him as a "he", but I thought only humans and animals were meant to have genders. And "he" sounds very human, despite not being human. For one, the whole thing about "good" and "evil" (as if it can be remotely as black and white as that); why would God, who's not even human, have that kind of thing in mind if...OK, I think someone could probably think up better counter-arguments right now. My head's a bit tired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

You know, I wish I didn't have to think about this kind of stuff, but because religion is such a central point of history and society, I kind of have to.

No, I'm totally atheist.

Not much to say really. I concentrate on this one life I have and if after I die people say I was a nice person, well, that's good enough for me.

I have faith in some things that are actually real. Like some people and certain brand names = /

Reincarnation's an interesting theory that I'm inclined to believe in. As long as I get to be a cat after I die. Fuck being a human; I don't want to suffer again. Then again, if reincarnation exists, I might've already been and/or will be a cat.

No I'm totally atheist. I have no sense of spirituality whatsoever

Yes, I'm a Rozallaist. I have faith in the power of love.

Cause you've got to have faaaaaaith... in the power of loooove.....

Faith as in religious belief, no, none at all.

By "anti religious", do you mean against religion, or simply without religion?

If the former, this thread doesn't apply to me.

If the latter, I'm am not devoid of a sense of the spiritual, but am not of the opinion that faith is the right term to use, simply because I cannot define or adequately describe it. The best I can manage is a sense that there is more to the universe than we can at present perceive.

"Irreligious" is a better term than "anti-religious" for what you're asking.

Anti-religious implies an active opposition to religion and religious belief.
Irreligious implies that you simply don't have a religious belief yourself.

I would be willing to bet money that:-
The vast majority of anti-religious people are also irreligious.
The vast majority of irreligious people are not anti-religious.

But your question itself confuses me. If they follow a non-contemporary faith (eg. Egyptian), then by definition they're neither irreligious nor anti-religious. Maybe I'm just not reading it properly, but it seems more than a little impossible to answer your question.

I resent the "anti-religious" in the title. I don't care if you belong to any particular religion, I just don't.

I'd consider myself an Agnostic Christian but I really don't agree with any church I've come across enough to really join it. Thought about joining the Unitarian Universalists one time then I looked into it and they gave me the impression of basically being a bunch of hippies.

I don't have any opinion either way on the topic of the existence of Gods, which makes me agnostic. Yeah, they might exist, they might not. I haven't seen any evidence that'll convince me either way.

However, I don't worship any Gods, because all the ones I've heard of are kind of dicks, and I'm a big fan of democracy anyway.

I tried to have my own religion for a bit, one that involved drawning zymbols (spelt with a Z!) on your arm, but I gave that up. I still draw the zymbols, just not for any religion.

I'm a NISA-ist. I believe in gods, demons, and the ALMIGHTY OVERLORD ZETTA!
Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to go reincarnate for about the 50th time.

In my experience I have more faith than most of my religious associates, I just don't have faith in the supernatural.

I personally think that god is in fact a gamer playing a really advanced god game and we are all constructs within it. I also think that when we die, we'll get a choice between getting your own universe to mess with, or being reborn in this one. No, god would not choose for you. It'd be completely up to you. I also don't think god has any commandments and our laws were in fact written by man. After all, two are common sense. Don't kill other people for no reason and don't steal things. Even then, there were exclusions in the stealing rule for starving people stealing food. Point is, I really don't think god has an anti-masturbation rule. If he did, I would be struck dead by lightning right now.

I believe in life after love, but that's about it. Totally atheist.

I'm an agnostic atheist who leans rather heavily towards atheism, and I wouldn't say I have faith in many things unless there has been a little evidence produced. Obviously this doesn't apply to everything in life, I really don't think it's possible for a human to be completely devoid of all kinds of faith.

Sort of off-topic, but I'm beginning to miss the whole ritual of organised religion, despite having no faith that any deity believes whatsoever. So I'm thinking of beginning daily prayers to Greek or Norse gods or something, which I know don't exist, just because the process is quite carthartic.

I believe there is no god, but am open to the possibility that I am wrong. I just have yet to hear any convincing proof. I believe that makes me an agnostic atheist.

Non-believer. I do treat some mythologies as interesting reads though. Not Christianity though, if looking purely for enjoyment, I'd rather read a computer manual than the bible. Very dry writing there.

The word belief can be made to denote almost anything, but using the word the way you seem to be using it, no I don't have any faith.

I'm not anti-religious nor do I hold a belief in a "None of the Above" religions. I simply do not believe in a higher power beyond the sun's gravitational pull and heat. I do not desire to push this sentiment onto those around me just as I do not enjoy and in fact actively avoid the religious types that feel absolutely compelled to push their faith onto other people. You believe what you believe. I simply won't.

I am a Deist, but detest organized religion. Before you ask, no Deism is not an organized religion it falls under the same boat as Atheism. No rules, little organization, and loose definition.

I am an atheist but I acknowledge the importance of spirituality for want of a better word. Especially in cinema and literature.

Very intelligent explorations of a kind of religiousity or spirituality imo would be Andrei Tarchovsky's Solaris and Stalker. Great movies.

I was also one of the few people who actually loved Darren Aranovsky's The Fountain which was very spiritual and full of buddhist imagery and ideas.

I also love Miguel Unamuno's "The Tragic Sense of Life" which affirms a kind of existential religiousity: it is a beautiful book.

So I am atheist but not anti-religious. I am only anti-religious when certain religions and religious types intrude into my personal or professional space and start preaching at me dogmatically.

Aye, and I love that musical Jesus Christ Superstar (does that count as religious?) but I like Judas in that movie best and find his arguments more compelling than Jesus' so I dunno what that means (am I part of satan's camp then?).

Mother-in-Law and wife are buddhist and I have been to a few buddhist funerals and really respect that. After the formal ceremony you adjoin to another room and eat and drink a ton of booze with family and the priest. Both times the priest and I got plastered and I had good banter with him and it was all very respectful for the departed as it was as much a thing of celebration (their reincarnation) as it was mourning. So I loved that balance.

Regards

Nightspore

Well, the way the OP asks, I'm guessing you mean supernatural stuff.
There are obviously things I believe that haven't been proven yet (like extraterrestrial life existing somewhere out there), but those tend to be on the highly likely end of the spectrum (size of the universe, number of planets).
I try to base my worldview on the things that are probable, so nothing supernatural for me. I like it as a device in fiction, though (ghost stories or stories about an afterlife or whatever).
I strongly recommend the pulp novels Winter Knight and Hunting Ground both by Charles Grant, for instance.

I'm anti-religious.

I have 'faith' that the world would be a better place if folks would stop worshiping bullcrap and killing each other over which god is more peaceful.

I'm a Secular Humanist. I consider faith to be dangerous because it leads you to ignore logic and common sense.

Tanis:
I'm anti-religious.

I have 'faith' that the world would be a better place if folks would stop worshiping bullcrap and killing each other over which god is more peaceful.

In many cases this sadly holds true for me as well. I'm not necessarily anti-religious by doctrine or belief, but being a Humanist and therefore putting justice, ethics, and reason first, I believe that religion is doing more harm to the world than good.

I used to be religious. Now I am not. I'm saddened by the loss of that piece of my life, but I simply can't sustain the faith any more. The part of me that faith comes from, that used to assure me there is a greater, invisible world behind this one, has changed its mind, and now it tells me this world is all there is and is sufficient. I listened to that voice before, so I pretty much have to listen to it now.

Deist here

Modern day religion is laughable at best

I'm agnostic, although I'm not sure I really have much faith at all any more.

The older and more content with my existence I become, the less I feel the need to speculate about a higher being or an afterlife.

Having said that, I do still make frantic bargainings with invisible supernatural beings when I want or don't want something to happen. "I'd really like to get this job. But I'd rather get a good grade on my degree so if I have to make a choice I'd choose that one, please. But if I could get both that would be great, too..."
Like they're my parents and luck is my allowance and I have to choose wisely what I should spend it on...

Esotera:
Sort of off-topic, but I'm beginning to miss the whole ritual of organised religion, despite having no faith that any deity believes whatsoever. So I'm thinking of beginning daily prayers to Greek or Norse gods or something, which I know don't exist, just because the process is quite carthartic.

Yeah, I kinda miss the rampant witch-hunting and exorcisms too. Nothing better than chasing down an innocent girl trying to tear out the demon inside her with stakes.

Relish in Chaos:

Esotera:

Yeah, I kinda miss the rampant witch-hunting and exorcisms too. Nothing better than chasing down an innocent girl trying to tear out the demon inside her with stakes.

They burned them actually, there were never any stakes used.

OT: No, I don't believe in anything that cannot be proved and feel the desperate need to physically assault the idiots who spout the line 'Just because you can't prove it's real doesn't mean it's not' or any variation thereof and I firmly believe that anyone who honestly believes that they have been touched by god is either lying or mentally ill.

Relish in Chaos:

Esotera:

Yeah I know, it really sucks that I lost my Catholicism 5 years ago, because everyone in the congregation had so much fun hunting down impure souls & burning them at the stake. That's the thing I miss most about being a Catholic, along with telling all those Protestant heathens that they're going to burn in hell. [/sarcasm]

I don't quite fit any of the options. Not entirely sure what I am on the "religious spectrum" if I can put it that way. I believe in God and the Bible (not in the literal sense my grandmother would prefer) but haven't had any use for organized religion since my early teens.

I believe that if you say you are something than you should act like you are within the group.
IE any member of a religion with peace the focus of it NOT TO BE VIOLENT... or something like that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked