Capitalisation of god

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've noticed some of the more religious escapists often capitalise god (and words like he when in reference to god) so I got wondering:
Do you capitalise god?
Why?
Does it bother you when other people don't if you do or vice versa?

I capitalize god when talking about a specific god. Namely the Christian god, God. In this case because it's a proper noun and would be capitalized as such.

I'm guessing it's the same reason as people capitalize Bob, it's his name isn't it?

Captcha: Civil war

Bad omen for this thread. :C

when i say God it is implied to be the judeo-christian god. when i say god/s well thats everything else. the judeo-christian god is the only without a direct name, sure there is Yahweh but im pretty sure that also means god.

I thought this would be some grand lecture on the secularisation of religion in modern society and how the modern church organisations abuse their position to fill the coffers....

No turns out you asked a simple grammar question which can be answered by saying... Because that's the proper grammar...

Made me lol inside.

Talking about God as the deity of the Christian religion, yes since it's a proper name.

But if I'm using it as an improper noun, as in "The Ancient Romans worshiped many gods, Christians only worship one god" then it's lower case.

I don't capitalise the word god because I view it as a concept.

For example: I call the christian god 'the christian god' instead of giving it a name.

"Christian" is also a proper noun. Just FYI, martin's a madman.

DJjaffacake:
I've noticed some of the more religious escapists often capitalise god (and words like he when in reference to god) so I got wondering:
Do you capitalise god?
Why?

Because English has this convention you may have studied in elementary school called "proper nouns". Words which identify unique individual persons, places, and things are proper nouns and are capitalized. Words which identify a class or generic, un-named member of a class are called "common nouns" and are not capitalized. "God" can be either be a class of deities attested in polytheistic religions, or in the case of monotheistic religions, is the name used in English to identify the supposedly only representative of that class.

So "God is great!" gets capitalized, while, "There are many gods in the Greek Pantheon," does not.

It only bothers me in the sense that it's clear evidence that basic educational standards are slipping. I blame "No Child Left Behind[1]."

Seriously, if you want to troll, you should have cited the Christian policy of capitalizing the 3rd person singular pronoun "He" to refer to God. That would have at least made sense.

EDITED TO ADD: Anyone who would genuinely like to educate themselves can find a lot of information here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_God

[1] It's the name of a policy, so it gets capitalized. See?

Hey... why do we capitalise only one pronoun; "I"?

God is God.

Zeus is a god.

God is not a god, God is God.

Thats probably the simplest way to explain it.

crimson5pheonix:
I capitalize god when talking about a specific god. Namely the Christian god, God. In this case because it's a proper noun and would be capitalized as such.

Bingo. There's probably a proper name for God that isn't a title (like Geoffrey, "All hail, Geoffrey!") but if everyone calls the Abrahamic god, God, then it makes sense to capitalise, same as I do for Thor, Artemis, Vishnu, Ifrit, and any other deity you wish to name.

But I don't capitalise 'him', 'he', 'it', or whatever other term people use to refer to their deity, it's just silly. If there was God, and you got to the gates of heaven (or whatever) and he went "Down to hell with you, you didn't needlessly capitalise the first letter of pronouns in reference to me!" then a giant F**k to that.

The name of God depends on whom you ask. YHVH, Yahweh, and Jehovah are the most popular answers.

JimB:
The name of God depends on whom you ask. YHVH, Yahweh, and Jehovah are the most popular answers.

From everything I've read, YHVH is the only one that doesn't rely on an Anglicization of a non-English word where the actual consonants don't actually work the way they're purported to work. (Wikipedia has something pretty good on that.)

I'm inconsistent about capitalizing, it depends on what I'm saying. If I'm talking about the Christian deity from a Christian point of view (e.g. "Christians believe x, y, z about God"), it gets capitalized. Otherwise, it depends. "God vs gods" isn't just a question of style/grammar, it also has psychosocial implications and reinforces the view that one is great and the others are inferior. There are implications to the idea that you'd say "the ancient Greek gods" and "the Christian God" (note: both are talking about god-concepts and neither are talking about proper names), and I choose to use lower case in both instances because of that.

DJjaffacake:
Do you capitalise god?
Why?

Basic English grammar rules dictate that if you are talking about gods in general, its not capitalized, if its a specific individual title, its capitalized.

Sort of like "company presidents are in charge of..." as opposed to "The President of the United States is in charge of..."

I however am lazy and don't capitalize a lot of things I really should.

Biosophilogical:

crimson5pheonix:

Bingo. There's probably a proper name for God that isn't a title (like Geoffrey, "All hail, Geoffrey!") but if everyone calls the Abrahamic god, God, then it makes sense to capitalise, same as I do for Thor, Artemis, Vishnu, Ifrit, and any other deity you wish to name.

But I don't capitalise 'him', 'he', 'it', or whatever other term people use to refer to their deity, it's just silly. If there was God, and you got to the gates of heaven (or whatever) and he went "Down to hell with you, you didn't needlessly capitalise the first letter of pronouns in reference to me!" then a giant F**k to that.

It's actually the same grammar rule that says capitalize both. If "God" is used as a title for a specific god you capitalize it just as if "He" is used as a title for a specific god you capitalize it. And before you say no one would use "He" as a title, when not in prayer jews for almost 2000 years now have been calling Him "Hashem" which literally means "The Name", so "Him" as a title is no more odd.

Kendarik:

Biosophilogical:

crimson5pheonix:

It's actually the same grammar rule that says capitalize both. If "God" is used as a title for a specific god you capitalize it just as if "He" is used as a title for a specific god you capitalize it. And before you say no one would use "He" as a title, when not in prayer jews for almost 2000 years now have been calling Him "Hashem" which literally means "The Name", so "Him" as a title is no more odd.

I'll keep that in mind should I ever use 'him' as anything other than a regular pronoun. But until I start capitalising every other single-subject use of a random pronoun, God can be a lower case 'he'.

Anyone want to take odds on whether this somehow turns into a Flamewar?

And God is capitalized because if you are referring to the Single Deity of the Christian religions, then it's a proper noun

Istvan:
I'm guessing it's the same reason as people capitalize Bob, it's his name isn't it?

As long as nobody mentions guns, we shall all be fine! ^.^

O_O

DX

OT: I capitalise it since when writing about the Christian-Judeo-Muslim God, just because that is what he is named in English, and don't when I am talking about gods like the Greek gods or others ones who isn't named "god." That is what I thought we were suppose to do, even to mythical or fictional characters.

I try to do the grammatically correct way of using the words.
The Christian god is just one god among many different concepts, but because of the way he is referred to, the "God" is a proper noun. Like "King" for Elvis. So when I don't say "Christian god" or something similar, I do say "God" to refer to the Abrahamic Monotheistic deity.

Katatori-kun:

So "God is great!" gets capitalized, while, "There are many gods in the Greek Pantheon," does not.

Well, just because a name also is another word or object doesn't mean we don't stop capitalizing it even when applying it to fictional characters, such as Captain Hook, Harry Potter, etc.

God is the given name to the Judeo-Christian god in English, and any other language the name is translated in just always translate as "god" as well (that includes Allah).

Katatori-kun:
le snip

I'm not trolling, I was curious what people's views are on the subject, and I did mention using he when in reference to god, although in hindsight I should probably have made that more prominent. And the question is raised by the point a lot of people have made about proper nouns, is god a proper noun? A lot of people believe that that is not his actual name, just a label, and then you have the whole business of whether or not god should be categorised in the same bracket as people since he is arguably very different, so he may be considered more of a concept or a force by some people, which would not need capitalisation.

P.S. Don't be dissing my country's education system.

Not G. Ivingname:

Istvan:

What, those tools of death that are popularized by the Republican hate machine?

Zekksta:

Not G. Ivingname:

Istvan:

What, those tools of death that are popularized by the Republican hate machine?

SEE!

Instant flamewar! DX

JimB:

If you translate those, don't they come out to mean "god" in English?

Seekster:
God is God.

Zeus is a god.

Thats probably the simplest way to explain it.

If be explain, you mean confuse people, then i totally agree. :)

I assume that you mean that "God" is either singular being instead of one out of a group, or that "God" is real, and Zeus, being a "god" is not?

i'll let you into a little secret: if you watch my posts very carefully you'll notice i only capitalise things i respect...

Sleekit:
i'll let you into a little secret: if you watch my posts very carefully you'll notice i only capitalise things i respect...

Oh, you've gone and reminded me of that BDSM thing, of using uppercse for dom/me's pronouns and lower for subs.

"And then He and i went and..."

thaluikhain:

Sleekit:

Oh, you've gone and reminded me of that BDSM thing, of using uppercse for dom/me's pronouns and lower for subs.

"And then He and i went and..."

Oh god, why did you have to go and remind me of that? I have a serious dislike for that shit. Lifestylers bug me. Do whatever kind of power exchange gets you off in your bedroom, but I didn't consent to be part of your dynamic.

crimson5pheonix:

This.

I try to make a point of not saying "God" when I'm talking about and unspecified deity.

Polarity27:

JimB:

From everything I've read, YHVH is the only one that doesn't rely on an Anglicization of a non-English word where the actual consonants don't actually work the way they're purported to work. (Wikipedia has something pretty good on that.)

I'm inconsistent about capitalizing, it depends on what I'm saying. If I'm talking about the Christian deity from a Christian point of view (e.g. "Christians believe x, y, z about God"), it gets capitalized. Otherwise, it depends. "God vs gods" isn't just a question of style/grammar, it also has psychosocial implications and reinforces the view that one is great and the others are inferior. There are implications to the idea that you'd say "the ancient Greek gods" and "the Christian God" (note: both are talking about god-concepts and neither are talking about proper names), and I choose to use lower case in both instances because of that.

Gotta disagree here, you're attesting to the grammar several things that it does not actually convey.

We do the exact same thing with words like "university" and "president". Under your logic someone who says "President Bush was a villain," and "Obama is the current president," is calling Obama inferior by lack of capitalization. Or for another example, "I went to Shitty University, where they'll literally just let any old yahoo teach a class," vs. "I when I was a university student I got my law degree."

It's all just grammar. It identifies specificity, and nothing more.

DJjaffacake:
And the question is raised by the point a lot of people have made about proper pronouns, is god a proper pronoun?

No. "God" is a title that is used as a name in English for the deity presented in Judaism/Christianity. A pronoun would be a word like, "he," "she," "you," or "me."

It's my country's education system too, and by all accounts it's a pile. If you can't deal with it being criticized, you're in for a rough life ahead.

Biosophilogical:

Kendarik:

Biosophilogical:

I'll keep that in mind should I ever use 'him' as anything other than a regular pronoun. But until I start capitalising every other single-subject use of a random pronoun, God can be a lower case 'he'.

It's the fact that its a title, which makes it a personal noun, and not a general pronoun, that makes the difference.

DJjaffacake:
Do you capitalise god?
Why?

Proper "name"? Capitalize.

Common noun? Lower case.

The Christian God is a god.

Unless I'm feeling pissy then both lowercase.

Katatori-kun:

DJjaffacake:
And the question is raised by the point a lot of people have made about proper pronouns, is god a proper pronoun?

No. "God" is a title that is used as a name in English for the deity presented in Judaism/Christianity. A pronoun would be a word like, "he," "she," "you," or "me."

It's my country's education system too, and by all accounts it's a pile. If you can't deal with it being criticized, you're in for a rough life ahead.

To the first, my mistake, I meant to put proper noun, but the other posts mentioning both got me mixed up.
To the second, I don't think it is either of those things.

DJjaffacake:

To the second, I don't think it is either of those things.

Well, good for you. That's not going to stop me from giving my opinion about it.

Seekster:

God is a title, not his name which is Jehova or YHWH as claimed. No one knows how to spell it 100% correctly to today.
So yes, he is a god. Not "the God". Unless you can disprove the existence of all other gods.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked