20.4% (21)
Atheism
34% (35)
34% (35)
Other (Specify)
17.5% (18)
17.5% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What Belief System/Worldview do you adhere to?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Just curious, personally I am a Christian. The core tenants of the Christian faith are formalized in the Nicene-Constantinople. This was the last formal declaration of doctrine that all the church fathers agreed on and essentially dictates the boundaries of Christianity. Any Church that denies a portion of the creed is not christian. The creed can be found here:

Feel free to ask any questions, I look forward to the discussion.

You completely disregarded all of the Faiths of the East. Fail, man, You failed.
You missed 2.5 Billion people an yet you included Mormons.
i'm an atheist.

Agnostic atheist for sure. Other things seem illogical.

shogun:
Just curious, personally I am a Christian. Which can mean about a thousand different things, I can specify what exactly i believe if necessary.

Also welcome to the escapist, feel free to flesh out the opening post about your personal beliefs as it adds discussion value.

Istvan:

shogun:
Just curious, personally I am a Christian. Which can mean about a thousand different things, I can specify what exactly i believe if necessary.

Also welcome to the escapist, feel free to flesh out the opening post about your personal beliefs as it adds discussion value.

Atheism is illogical in the sense that any denial of God whether of the weak or strong variety inherently appeals to ignorance. So atheism is literally illogical.

KlLLUMINATI:

Istvan:

shogun:

Atheism is illogical in the sense that any denial of God whether of the weak or strong variety inherently appeals to ignorance. So atheism is literally illogical.

Could you try and rephrase that? I didn't understand your argument. Perhaps it is because I am ignorant.

KlLLUMINATI:

Istvan:

shogun:

I thought that was anti-theism.

Isn't atheism just a lack of belief in a deity, because no actual evidence has been presented for them existing?

TheIronRuler:
You completely disregarded all of the Faiths of the East. Fail, man, You failed.
i'm an atheist.

Well there were limited slots on the poll, I tried to pick the ones i thought would be most applicable to the forum. Did not mean to offend any Taoists or Buddhists.

KlLLUMINATI:

Istvan:

shogun:

Maybe its because I havent been touched by Jesus, but I cant make heads nor tails of this.

You can take the "touched by Jesus" thing in any way you want, by the way.

shogun:

TheIronRuler:
i'm an atheist.

Well there were limited slots on the poll, I tried to pick the ones i thought would be most applicable to the forum. Did not mean to offend any Taoists or Buddhists.

Also Confucianists...
Nevermind, I get it, but still - why the hell are there Mormons there?

INB4 someone points out atheism isn't a belief system

KlLLUMINATI:

Istvan:

shogun:

By this statement do you also feel that all religions that do not believe in your god are also ignorant?

OT: Asatru is my belief system (Norse neo-pagan)

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

KlLLUMINATI:

Istvan:

Maybe its because I havent been touched by Jesus, but I cant make heads nor tails of this.

You can take the "touched by Jesus" thing in any way you want, by the way.

Of course you cant not a big suprise.

TheIronRuler:

shogun:

TheIronRuler:
i'm an atheist.

Also Confucianists...
Nevermind, I get it, but still - why the hell are there Mormons there?

I don't know, It is fairly common right? I mean America could have a Mormon president soon.

Trent Lynch:

KlLLUMINATI:

Istvan:

By this statement do you also feel that all religions that do not believe in your god are also ignorant?

OT: Asatru is my belief system (Norse neo-pagan)

What does that entail?

I also have no idea what you mean Killumanati, could you explain it a bit more?

Hazy992:

You are right marxism is though, and so is secular humanism. Atheism is a part of those worldviews, but I figured i should differentiate because most atheists i know don't always label themselves under either of those categories.

TheIronRuler:
i'm an atheist.

i don't even know why he bothered including Mormonism since its just Christianity.

shogun:

Hazy992:

You are right marxism is though, and so is secular humanism. Atheism is a part of those worldviews, but I figured i should differentiate because most atheists i know don't always label themselves under either of those categories.

Uhh, no they're not. Atheism has nothing to do with either of those ideologies.

Hazy992:

shogun:

Hazy992:

so how many Christian humanist do you know?

keiskay:

TheIronRuler:
i'm an atheist.

i don't even know why he bothered including Mormonism since its just Christianity.

Not really... They don't have a hell nor do they recognize the holy trinity. So it all depends on how you look at it. As an Atheist, I consider them Christian.

TheIronRuler:

keiskay:

TheIronRuler:
i'm an atheist.

Not really... They don't have a hell nor do they recognize the holy trinity. So it all depends on how you look at it. As an Atheist, I consider them Christian.

they have perdition, which is like hell, just way harder to get into. they recognize the holy trinity but not in the traditional sense, they view them as three separate entities and not one entity. a belief that Jehovahs witness's also have.

TheIronRuler:

keiskay:

TheIronRuler:
i'm an atheist.

Yeah Mormonism is similar to Christianity but they deny too much of the Nicene Creed to be considered a Christian religion. Still its close.

keiskay:

Hazy992:

shogun:

Well for starters there are plenty on this very forum.

keiskay:

TheIronRuler:

keiskay:

they have perdition, which is like hell, just way harder to get into. they recognize the holy trinity but not in the traditional sense, they view them as three separate entities and not one entity. a belief that Jehovahs witness's also have.

It all depends on how you define a christian. Also, you're correct. Thank you for clarifying my nonsense to the others.

I'm not a Christian by the bullshit definition as I completely disregard the old testament but my view is the basic spirit of Jesus' "Love thy neighbour".

All the different texts... all the clear abuses of power by religious "authorities" of the times...
Be Kind. Be Good... do that and how wrong can you go exactly? God hasn't felt the need to remind us individually of the rules so... be good...

Also if there is nothing there then, this has all been random pointlessness...

So that makes me a Theist-Agnostic?
Meh. I call myself a "Christian".

Comando96:
I'm not a Christian by the bullshit definition as I completely disregard the old testament but my view is the basic spirit of Jesus' "Love thy neighbour".

All the different texts... all the clear abuses of power by religious "authorities" of the times...
Be Kind. Be Good... do that and how wrong can you go exactly? God hasn't felt the need to remind us individually of the rules so... be good...

Also if there is nothing there then, this has all been random pointlessness...

So that makes me a Theist-Agnostic?
Meh. I call myself a "Christian".

It calls you a Humanist. If you truly believe that Christ is your lord and savior, then you are a Christian. Otherwise, you are a very confused man/woman and I hope you will find your way in the future.

keiskay:

TheIronRuler:

keiskay:

Viewing the Trinity as three separate entities is actually considered heresy, making Mormons not Christians.

Hazy992:

shogun:

Hazy992:

But Marxists are atheists, and so are most secular humanists? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying?

Hazy992:

keiskay:

Hazy992:

well i will admit and apologize for my ignorance, since every time i read something about humanism it's primary focus was on its atheist members.

Seekster:

TheIronRuler:

keiskay:

Yeah Mormonism is similar to Christianity but they deny too much of the Nicene Creed to be considered a Christian religion. Still its close.

considering the Nicene conventions happened 300 or so years after Christ and the fact they removed some the text makes me question whether or not we should use them as a determinate for deciding who is a true Christian or not.

shogun:

Hazy992:

shogun:

But Marxists are atheists, and so are most secular humanists? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying?

Except for these people. And even if enery Marxist was an atheist, it doesn't make every atheist a Marxist. The two aren't related. Correlation =/= causation.

I can't believe I even have to explain this.

I'd probably class myself as an Agnostic Humanist.

I believe, primarily, in the promotion of living a decent life just because it's the best thing to do. That we should, as a species, try to better the lives of those around us and the future of our species. With this, for me, comes the promotion of peace over conflict, of fair treatment and justice, and the pursuit of concepts such as renewable energy, and space travel.

I also believe that it is foolish to completely dismiss the possibility that a "greater power" has had some influence over us during our development. I just refuse to define that power as a deity, an alien race or even just the rules of physics and the universe.

Edit : most importantly I believe that, if there is some great all powerful being watching over us, it can go to hell. I have yet to find a religion that does not promise pain and punishment for indiscretions, attempt to limit peoples freedom and cause war and strife in its gods name. Even ancient religions that people now consider awesome do this to some extent, with their roots in ideas such as the sun not coming up if the gods are not appeased, but at least they are honest about it.

If a deity is going to punish someone just for not knowing it exists, it isn't worthy of worship. Or even respect.

shogun:

keiskay:

TheIronRuler:

Viewing the Trinity as three separate entities is actually considered heresy, making Mormons not Christians.

thats debatable, the trinity is nowhere in the bible and not all Christian sects view it as heresy. so deciding who is a Christian and who is not is silly, the main and only deciding factor is if someone believes that Christ is their lord and Saviour and the son of god.

I could be described as agnostic, but agnostic is not generally considered a belief system or a worldview.

keiskay:

Hazy992:

keiskay:

well i will admit and apologize for my ignorance, since every time i read something about humanism it's primary focus was on its atheist members.

I won't deny that atheists make up a large percentage of humanists (if not a majority) but religious humanists do exist. Just look at John Shelby Spong

Hazy992:

shogun:

Hazy992:

Except for these people. And even if enery Marxist was an atheist, it doesn't make every atheist a Marxist. The two aren't related. Correlation =/= causation.

I have no problem understanding the difference between correlation and causation. I was under the impression that Atheism is a part of Marxism. I understand that there are various offshoots form Marxism, but Atheism was originally part of the Marxist worldview.

keiskay:

Hazy992:

keiskay:

Seekster:

TheIronRuler:

considering the Nicene conventions happened 300 or so years after Christ and the fact they removed some the text makes me question whether or not we should use them as a determinate for deciding who is a true Christian or not.

Yes the convention was a few hundred years after Christs death, but they convened in order to protect the established tradition of the early church.

keiskay:

shogun:

keiskay:

thats debatable, the trinity is nowhere in the bible and not all Christian sects view it as heresy. so deciding who is a Christian and who is not is silly, the main and only deciding factor is if someone believes that Christ is their lord and Saviour and the son of god.

I agree that is absolutely imperative, but evidence for the trinity is found throughout the bible.

shogun:

Hazy992:

shogun:

I have no problem understanding the difference between correlation and causation. I was under the impression that Atheism is a part of Marxism. I understand that there are various offshoots form Marxism, but Atheism was originally part of the Marxist worldview.

keiskay:

Hazy992:

Seekster:

Yes the convention was a few hundred years after Christs death, but they convened in order to protect the established tradition of the early church.

keiskay:

shogun:

I agree that is absolutely imperative, but evidence for the trinity is found throughout the bible.

and so are many o,if not all beliefs of the Mormon church are in the bible as well.

I would point out that the Nicene Creed to this day varys only slightly from its original tenets. Heck even when I went to my Baptist Church on Easter this year we recited what was essentially the Nicene Creed (though obviously without the bit regarding the Catholic Church).

Furthermore I would point out that Jews and Muslims also believe many things that are in the Bible...doesnt make them Christian.

shogun:

Hazy992:

shogun:

Well sorry but that just isn't the case. Atheism is not a part of Marxism. The fact that many marxists were Atheists is irrelevant.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked