Right-Wing Site Declares Bronies a Threat to American Manhood

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Yes, the late Andrew Breitbart's site "Big Hollywood" has now thrown down the gauntlet against Bronies, calling them (among other things): "Pathetic sissies," "fem-boys who stopped maturing at age seven," and "perma-virgins" who "ought to be ashamed of themselves."

The columnist then goes on to say that they "undercut the foundations of American society, gleefully mocking traditional morality"

For those of you who don't want to give that site traffic, here is your proof that those quotes are no better in context...

The easiest way to say it is just to say it: There are grown men out there who devote themselves to the rainbow-unicorn-sparkly-pastel fantasy world of the children's TV show "My Little Pony." And, more appallingly, it's not done ironically - they are proud of it.

They call themselves "bronies," a terrifying hybrid of "bros" and "ponies." The show's producers and the network honchos are delighted by this unexpected turn of events:

"We heard during the first season that guys were chatting about it online, and it just snowballed so quickly," said showrunner Meghan McCarthy. "No one saw this coming."
[Hub Network President Margaret] Loesch, noting that the show remains targeted at young girls and their parents, said the network's been reaching out to the bronies with subtle hat tips in marketing and promotions. It's been a measured approach, though.
"We haven't driven this movement, the fans have, and we don't want to get ahead of that," Loesch said. "We want to nourish this phenomenon, not manipulate it."

But should Hollywood really be enabling this phenomenon?

Hell no. It's a freaking embarrassment.

All the while, as these pathetic sissies giggle like school girls over magic unicorns that spray rainbows from their horns, real men - and women - who have put aside the temptation to retreat into a frivolous fantasy world are tromping through the wilds of Afghanistan. Such young adults, some younger (in years) than the "bronies," are protecting all of us - including these pathetic weirdoes.
It makes me want to wretch.

Yeah, some will say it's unfair to compare a bunch of harmless fem-boys who stopped maturing at age seven with the heroic men and women facing death or dismemberment on all our behalves every day. People who say that are wrong. These perma-virgins ought to be ashamed of themselves, but if they had the capacity for shame, this disgusting obsession would be a secret they guard almost as closely as a Harvard faculty member might guard the fact that he's a registered Republican.

As sickening as it is, we can't just ban grown men from acting like idiots because we disapprove of their lifestyle choices - after all, we aren't progressives. It's still a free country - coincidentally due entirely to the efforts of men and women who put aside childish things to contribute to society instead of feeding at the trough and then sitting on their expansive backsides as they eagerly clap like seals at the antics of colorful cartoon steeds.

If these losers want to waste their lives lingering in a childhood fugue state, Hollywood has every right to serve them up more of the same cultural slop and pocket the cash proceeds. But it shouldn't.

Hollywood is famously nonjudgmental about anything that happens to undercut the foundations of American society, gleefully mocking traditional morality, conservatism, and now what the LA Times calls "tired stereotypes of what boys should or shouldn't like." Trashing positive values is standard operating procedure in Tinseltown.

But perhaps now it's time for Hollywood to get a bit more judgmental. Perhaps it's time to say, "Hey, glad you like the show, but it's for little girls and maybe you man-children ought to find something better to do with your lives. Which would be anything."

Fandom, even potentially nerdy fandom, need not be destructive. For example, the original "Star Trek" had real merit. The character of Captain Kirk provided an example of true manhood - note that the attributes commonly associated with 'manhood' are not limited by mere gender, as heroes like Sergeant Leigh Ann Hester proved - even within the concept of science fiction. Watching James T. Kirk teaches young males key life lessons - that violence is an important option for defeating evil, that individual dignity is worth fighting for, and that scoring with green alien chicks is awesome.

In contrast, "My Little Pony" inspires them to adopt brony names like Starfire Cuddlecakes and glue fake unicorn horns to their foreheads. Then go out in public.

Shiver.

A story like "Lord of the Rings" may be a bit nerdy - I mean, it has elves - but the lessons there, about the need to overcome one's fears and to sacrifice one's self if need be to defend your people, are as vital as ever.

Hollywood, do you really need to enable the creepy immaturity of these geebos? No. It's time to stop the insanity.

And as for the bronies themselves, since they love the world of make believe so much, maybe it will be easier for them to take the advice of a fictional character. As Don Corleone advised, maybe you ought to try and "Act like a man!"

I don't get it.

How is this a thing.

Am I being trolled? Is this a troll site?

Gods above forbid, is he actually serious?

And here I was, thinking after Widebeard kicked the bucket nonsense like that wouldn't pop up as much anymore. Guess he taught his cronies well. Huh, cronies. They come after bronies?

But really, if anything one could also feel motivated to watch MLP by that article, just to spite those wackos.

The greatest threat to manhood are these cowardly 'men' who need to thump on another group of people just to get it up. It takes a greater man to actually be mature and accept things which are alien to us, as opposed to whining like a little 3 year old on how people are simply different. Oh, and in my opinion one of the most manly things anyone can do is embrace things that are unmanly. It Takes a lot more manliness/bravery to go against stupid imaginary labels then it does to simply conform to them. It takes far greater metaphorical balls to admit that you like a little girls cartoon then it does to simply insult a show that said individuals never even watched before.

But then again, I just tend to think that the entire idea of 'manliness' is just a bunch of bull shit that may border on being sexist. Some girls wax their fucking legs, now THAT'S manly.

Well, at least he's not directing his ire at teh gayz.

lSHaDoW-FoXl:

But then again, I just tend to think that the entire idea of 'manliness' is just a bunch of bull shit that may border on being sexist. Some girls wax their fucking legs, now THAT'S manly.

I always thought stuff like welding and cattle rustling were "manly". And mowing your lawn in your boxers.

In any case, I almost wish xpowder hadn't been banned, cause I'd really be interested in what he'd have to comment on this...considering his fascination with Breitbart.

(that was xpowder, right? Or did I mix up the names)

*/me isn't even really a brony. I've barely watched the show*

At first I was annoyed and disgruntled at the article. Then, I just assumed they were trolling.

Then I got to this part:

Watching James T. Kirk teaches young males key life lessons - that violence is an important option for defeating evil

And now I'm SURE they're trolling.

In contrast, "My Little Pony" inspires them to adopt brony names like Starfire Cuddlecakes and glue fake unicorn horns to their foreheads. Then go out in public.

....Yup. Definitely trolling. No doubt about it. If they're not trolling, then they are total morons, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

As Don Corleone advised, maybe you ought to try and "Act like a man!"

Don Corleone? Wait, wasn't he a mafia guy?

*googles*

Yeah, the corleones are from the Godfather series!

...Oh yeah, great, a mafia guy is a GREAT role model.

Yeah, they're trolling. They have to be. Otherwise I will have no choice but to drink myself into a depressed stupor as the idiocy of certain people.

The closest I could find on the internet machine was this...

'course, I'm not into ponies. :p

The easiest way to say it is just to say it: There are grown men out there who devote themselves to the rainbow-unicorn-sparkly-pastel fantasy world of the children's TV show "My Little Pony." And, more appallingly, it's not done ironically - they are proud of it.

And, more appallingly, it's not done ironically

it's not done ironically

What a fucking moron. Of COURSE it's done ironically.

...Are we SURE that's not from the Onion?

That article was hilarious. Thanks for sharing. The comments are pretty funny too.

Tyler Perry:

It isn't.

Watching a show that stars little ponies will not make you gay, just as much as playing Call of Duty: Post Modern Warfare 0 will make you straight. There are marines that admit that they are bronies. Are you calling a marine unmanly?

Ah, I was wondering when this story was going to break. I follow this guy on twitter. His articles are a bit silly (Such as declaring "Imagine" the worst song ever), but I think he somewhat believes what he says.

Tyler Perry:

And, more appallingly, it's not done ironically

it's not done ironically

It's Breitbart.com. I am pretty sure they're actually being serious.

Oh dear this is so stupid and ignorant of them...

Here is my favoriate Pony:

Yup... Fluttershy.

I play rugby as a prop:
The prop's are the ones on either end... the big guys hitting eachother...

I also tend to break up fights and am not afraid to hurt people if the circumstances deem it to be the best course of action for the majority of people, though a diplomatic solution is significantly better.

Liking MLP affects your "manliness". Bullshit of the highest order xD

aegix drakan:

....Yup. Definitely trolling. No doubt about it. If they're not trolling, then they are total morons, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I wouldn't be so sure, their is PLENTY of complete idiocy on the internet that appears to be satire that is completely serious. For example, I saw a creationist that Dinosaurs died because the rapidly decreasing amount of oxygen caused Dinosaurs to hyperventilate, causing them to catch fire.

Let me say that again. Their are people that really believes that Dinosaurs noses caught fire because their is LESS OXYGEN. http://videosift.com/video/Dinosaurs-Became-Extinct-Because-Their-Noses-Caught-on-Fire

Naheal:

I can't seem to shake this scenario in my head of the author being furious at his editor for preventing him from just calling them all "a bunch of goddamn fucking queers" and calling it a day like a True God-Fearin' American™.

Edit: Welcome back, Naheal. Long time, no post!

Didn't even bother reading what the guy said. He can just see Bronies as sissies and what not, but I rather have that ideal then guys not being open minded about the things most find 'girly' like ponies for example. I mean, with our generation we're not afraid to step out of boundaries and check out what we used to call 'only a girl's thing'. Besides, he obviously hasn't watched one episode because MLP:FiM really isn't girly at all. The atmosphere and plot seems girly but the episodes themselves are far from it.

Especially Season 2's final episode... that my friends is not a girly episode at all. But I doubt the guy would even bother checking out or researching the series. Instead, he'll just insult people for liking the show and question humanity for what it's worth. I say let him, and don't even give him any ounce of attention before he realizes no one really cares.. sure sounds harsh but if you're going to judge something least do it civilly and have criticism intact rather then just bash something without any knowledge of what you're talking about.

Does this mean Obama will come out as a brony? Oh, man, I hope so.

While I can't stand the show and what it's become on the Internet, I ALSO can't stand right wing nutjobs.
Sooo...
I'm torn really...
But I guess the Internet wins out.

OT
What a nutjob.
"gleefully mocking traditional morality"?, So you WANT more people getting killed by Internet users...
...so...the Media...can say we are All Nutjobs!
Well played sir...

Not G. Ivingname:

aegix drakan:

I wouldn't be so sure, their is PLENTY of complete idiocy on the internet that appears to be satire that is completely serious. For example, I saw a creationist that Dinosaurs died because the rapidly decreasing amount of oxygen caused Dinosaurs to hyperventilate, causing them to catch fire.

Let me say that again. Their are people that really believes that Dinosaurs noses caught fire because their is LESS OXYGEN. http://videosift.com/video/Dinosaurs-Became-Extinct-Because-Their-Noses-Caught-on-Fire

Dammit, are you TRYING to make me depressed?!

*shoots self with nerf magnum*

Tyler Perry:

I wouldn't say that. Bronies are aware of the irony, but that doesn't make irony the motivation... The show is genuinely entertaining.

tstorm823:

Tyler Perry:

I wouldn't say that. Bronies are aware of the irony, but that doesn't make irony the motivation... The show is genuinely entertaining.

It's not; it's really fucking awful.

It's Andrew Breitbart; his only purpose/goal in life was to get indignant over things that only matter to the people that would eventually become the Tea Party. He knew as well as anyone that only schmucks with nothing to live for but hating the world that wronged them in their own minds care about his usual media fits. Even in death anything with his name attached is going to sound like the shit he always spewed; it's just who he was.

This thread has given us all a challenge. Find the most manly related mlp pics.

btw this wins by default.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
That article was hilarious. Thanks for sharing. The comments are pretty funny too.

Tyler Perry:

It isn't.

To be fair, that's how a lot of fans start out, enjoying the show ironically (at least that's how it was for me).

Tyler Perry:

tstorm823:

Tyler Perry:

Do us all a favour, don't start THAT topic, In the Realm of R&P, It'll never end...

Serge A. Storms:
It's Andrew Breitbart; his only purpose/goal in life was to get indignant over things that only matter to the people that would eventually become the Tea Party. He knew as well as anyone that only schmucks with nothing to live for but hating the world that wronged them in their own minds care about his usual media fits. Even in death anything with his name attached is going to sound like the shit he always spewed; it's just who he was.

My mother always told me to only speak good of the dead.

Andrew Breitbart's dead? GOOD.

To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens' quote about Jerry Falwell, Andrew Breitbart was so full of shit that if you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox.

Somebody has obviously never heard of Pony Mov.

"Gleefully mocking traditional morality"? So traditional morality doesn't include Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity and Honesty? Maybe if they killed more foreigners, executed the mentally retarded, tied gays to to rail fences overnight and cut taxes?

Oh yeah and more guns! ALWAYS MORE GUNS!

It seems to me that if "American Manhood" is such a weak, sickly thing that it can be threatened by pastel ponies, perhaps it deserves to die out. What's so great about manhood anyway?

Tyler Perry:

Says the man who named himself Tyler Perry...

Bronies: Kind of annoying? Yes. Threat to American Manhood? Uhh...no.

tstorm823:

Tyler Perry:

Says the man who named himself Tyler Perry...

The irony, in this particular case, was intentional.

Naheal:

Well, to him and his hateful ilk, anything that is male and likes ponies is close enough to gay to rage against in the name of morality.

Most of his rant can be dismissed, if only because the concept of any fandom, regardless of the target of that fandom, posing a threat to some nonexistent concept of "manhood" is utterly ridiculous. I wouldn't pay much attention to it either way.

I can and will however freely agree with one thing he said. Grown men (or women for that matter) obsessing over such a show is a freaking embarrassment. Seriously, I'd beg for them to cut it out, but suspect I'd just be encouraging them on.

Captcha says "beats me", how appropriate, I don't understand this mess either.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked