Life imitates anime: "Teen Girl Exorcist Squad"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-girl-exorcism-squad-arizona-girls-claim-cast/story?id=16074541#.T5zQ88Wju0j

Brynne, 17, is the leader of the pack, the one the others call the "enforcer." She is home-schooled and a regular on the beauty pageant circuit. Savannah, 20, is known as the "compassionate one," a college student who likes to shop. Finally, there's Tess, "the middle man" because the others say this 17-year-old can play both good and bad cop. She also performs in local musicals.

But Larson claims that 50 percent of the population is probably affected by demons in some way and his girls are the front line of defense. Armed with crosses, Bibles and holy water, the girls summon the demon within the subject, and then the demon apparently takes over the person's body. Brynne said she can tell when someone is demonically possessed when she looks into his eyes.

What's more, Larson and the girls' exorcism sessions are not free, and he insists that one session almost never does the trick.

O_O

Several observations here:

It's Arizona.
I didn't even know Beggin' Bob Larson HAD a daughter.
I'm kind of hoping that this is just a viral video for a new TV show. But I don't think we're that lucky.

Larson is currently weighing several offers for new reality shows starring Brynne, Tess and Savannah.

...maybe?

I have...no words...dafuq Arizona?

Arbane what the fuck, misleading thread title much? How is this an imitation of anime when there isn't even a loli in the cast?

2/10 reported for bad troll, burning your house down after dinner.

Zekksta:
Arbane what the fuck, misleading threat title much? How is this an imitation of anime when there isn't even a loli in the cast?

I agree. Those girls' breasts are way too small, they don't wear skirts, and there is no quirky male love interest. F--. See me after class. >:(

Well, that's a waste of time. Publicity stunt, utter stupidity or both? Also, snake oil salesman.
Anybody else noticed Larson's Jack Nicholson grin at 1:26?
And why are those demons so primitive in their behaviour?

Zekksta:
Arbane what the fuck, misleading threat title much? How is this an imitation of anime when there isn't even a loli in the cast?

Thinking about it, you're probably right. This is more like the Bizarro World version of Charmed.

I guess I was associating it with the below bit of crazy, where a Very Serious Preacher explains how Japan got cursed because the Emperor had sex with a demon.

("Life imitates hentai?")

arbane:
snip

The only thing I can do at this point is thank you for bringing that video to my attention.

Thank you based Arbane.

First thought: They're cute
Second thought: It really should be free or a donation if you so choose.

Also this is not something that should be all over TV, it's a very spiritual ritual and I think all the cameras and crap will detract from it's message.

Fuck that, just get Bruce Campbell. It works in real life too!

Xan Krieger:
Also this is not something that should be all over TV, it's a very spiritual ritual and I think all the cameras and crap will detract from it's message.

If it's (at least also) about the profit, then the cameras and crap are exactly what they want and need.

Always one for every nation.

OT: If somebody is willing to pay them for such crazy performance, then they deserve the money. The whole setup seems to have constructed as a TV-show from the beginning, they even got out the stock personalities and weird nick names and everything. And if bad anime have taught us anything, it's that teen girls are second only to little girls in being capable of doing absolutely everything, usually with the power of love and/or a large axe.

Now where's the remote to turn it off...

Xan Krieger:
First thought: They're cute
Second thought: It really should be free or a donation if you so choose.

..Comedy routines are a "spiritual ritual", now? Because I swear, any group named the "Teen Girl Exorcist Squad" is going to have WTFCRAZYCOSPLAYERSLOL? plastered all over their dignity by default..

You know, there are some things I never expect to witness when I wake up from a nice, relaxing nap because I still feel like I'm dreaming the first five minutes.

..Am I dreaming this as well? <_<

Uh... Well that's... That's kind of... What? Please tell me this is fake...

I am baffled and flabbergasted that not a single 'Larson's Angels' joke was made in that article. Nor in this thread, for that matter. Shame on you.

Mathak:
I am baffled and flabbergasted that not a single 'Larson's Angels' joke was made in that article. Nor in this thread, for that matter. Shame on you.

I never watched the show, but weren't "Charlies angels" basically mercenaries/spies for hire? What do they have to do with exorcisms? Or are you referring to somebody else?

Remember that homeschooling debate? The ringleader here is home-schooled, and she's a religious lunatic who tortures people. Coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, a stop should be put to people like that because of the harm they inflict on others. But, well, it's Arizona. Isn't that one of those states that if you'd drop the Saoudi-Arabian religious secret police there they'd go 'wow, what a nice place. A little too religious for my taste though'.

How cute, they're cosplaying Charmed.

Also, they can exorcise my demon any time, fyaknowhaddamean. There might be a fair bit of ectoplasm produced, if you catch my drift.

Batou667:
There might be a fair bit of ectoplasm produced, if you catch my drift.

Are you talking about ejaculate? The stuff coming out of a guy's penis? If you get my single entendre?

By the way, I do wonder: What do you folks think about the argument the interviewer made, that this not only costs unfair amounts of money for a questionable service, but might actually hinder people from searching for and receiving the help they actually need, i.e. professional psychological and medical aid?

See, if this was a show, the vampire with a soul would make a lot more sense.

Imperator_DK:
Always one for every nation.

They get together and form a Justice League.

Zekksta:

Nor do they wear elaborate color coded skirts!

Batou667:
Also, they can exorcise my demon any time, fyaknowhaddamean. There might be a fair bit of ectoplasm produced, if you catch my drift.

Explain further.

..Okay, did anyone else hear the Teen Girl Squad theme in their head when they heard the title? And somehow I'm not surprised they want to make a reality show out of it... (Sighs and facepalms)

Skeleon:
Are you talking about ejaculate? The stuff coming out of a guy's penis? If you get my single entendre?

Say no more, nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

arbane:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-girl-exorcism-squad-arizona-girls-claim-cast/story?id=16074541#.T5zQ88Wju0j

Brynne, 17, is the leader of the pack, the one the others call the "enforcer." She is home-schooled and a regular on the beauty pageant circuit. Savannah, 20, is known as the "compassionate one," a college student who likes to shop. Finally, there's Tess, "the middle man" because the others say this 17-year-old can play both good and bad cop. She also performs in local musicals.

Between this blurb and that video's opening sequence, I was pretty convinced that this was just a trick to allow repressed hetero Christian men to get "punished" for being "naughty" in a legal way by a trio of conventionally-attractive teenage girls, with an option to justify giving voice to all the filthy thoughts running through their heads by claiming to have been possessed. Then I saw Grandma Demon getting exorcised and I had to wonder if this was a case chosen to be TV friendly or if she is representative of the clientele.

Because if this is just a bunch off kinky role-play then it's creepy as hell but I can't see a reason to ban it. But if they're peddling any kind of healing service without evidence that it works then I think the law needs to come down on these people hard.

arbane:
I guess I was associating it with the below bit of crazy, where a Very Serious Preacher explains how Japan got cursed because the Emperor had sex with a demon.

I'd love to know what year that video is from. Because I can't tell from the laptop and the grainy video if it's 80s or early 90s, but the Japan-bashing makes me think pre-90s. Which means that when the preacher is talking about the Japanese Emperor he might not have meant the present Akihito, he meant Emperor Showa. This guy.

All I'm saying is, if the Sun Goddess wants to get a little somethin-somethin she can do a lot better.

I think the Catholic Church is the only group that has ever been able to put together a respectable exorcism practice (obviously verifying it is impossible without proving the existence of demons) so I am automatically suspicious of other claims of exorcism. Also what anime is this imitating exactly because I might want to see it.

What is wrong besides that it may be a trouble idea on so many levels.

Katatori-kun:

Because if this is just a bunch off kinky role-play then it's creepy as hell but I can't see a reason to ban it. But if they're peddling any kind of healing service without evidence that it works then I think the law needs to come down on these people hard.

No! That'd be so unfair to Christians! Just like hate crimes![1]

Katatori-kun:
Emperor Showa. This guy.

All I'm saying is, if the Sun Goddess wants to get a little somethin-somethin she can do a lot better.

He made the worst Godzilla films.

[1] I have argued with people who have said that hate crimes are unfair to Christians. Really.

Heh, I'd let those girls exorcise me, if you know what I mean.

Actually I wouldnt. Karate, musicals, ponies, exorcisms... Straight outta The Onion.

Only in America, folks.

wintercoat:

I have...no words...dafuq Arizona?

Yea this is how feel...

Seekster:
Also what anime is this imitating exactly because I might want to see it.

I don't think it's any particular anime, but I can definitely see this being the premise anime. A trio of similar but "different" hot girls all under the age of 25 up against a seemingly insurmountable number of demons, all while trying to maintain their "normal" lives of schools and pageants and horseback riding. It's all so hokey I'm finding it hard to take it as anything more than a publicity stunt and an attempt to get a reality show going.

Katatori-kun:

arbane:

I'd love to know what year that video is from. Because I can't tell from the laptop and the grainy video if it's 80s or early 90s, but the Japan-bashing makes me think pre-90s. Which means that when the preacher is talking about the Japanese Emperor he might not have meant the present Akihito, he meant Emperor Showa. This guy.

1993, according to this article (WARNING: LIBERAL COOTIES). I'd thought it was more recent.

According to RationalWiki, one of the three girls' fathers, noted demon-bothering huckster Bob Larson, already HAD a reality TV show in 2008. Guess it didn't test well.

Anybody want to see how these girls do against the Daemons from the Warhammer games?
I would sell my soul to see something like that...

Bassik:
Anybody want to see how these girls do against the Daemons from the Warhammer games?
I would sell my soul to see something like that...

+Image SNIP+

Somehow, I think that the...powers...of Slaanesh would end up getting this show banned (and relegated to the campy-adult-film realm...and then banned again) incredibly quickly.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing right now (and I totally mean good/bad simply in terms of getting this crap off TV, and not anything else, you foul cultists of perversion)!

Meh, GW daemons are child's play (no seriously, there's strong evidence that they have been weakened in character in order to make the game more child-friendly.)

I prefer the demons of Heironymous Bosch if we're going to get into mind-bending madness. I doubt Charlie's Attention-Seeking Angels here would be well prepared to deal with The Prince of Hell, a blue man with a bird's head wearing a cauldron for a hat who swallows sinners whole and then poops them into a pit filled with vomit and defecated coins.

He's not one of these try-hard demons who wants to impress people with how evil and scary and pointy and nasty he is. He is nothing but pure incongruousness. He wears jugs for shoes.

And if that's not nuts enough for you, how about Tree Man? His arms are trees, and his torso has been cut off at the waist and hollowed out to make a tavern where patrons sit on a giant lizard for some reason. He wears a hat which is actually a platform where a kiwi-bird demon walks a naked sinner in circles around a frog playing pink bagpipes. And yes, by the way, that is his buddy Giant-ears-with-an-enormous-knife-for-a-nose-for-some-reason-demon in the background.

I don't see the point of this considering that the Roman Catholic church still trains Demon Hunters. Well... Exorcists, but I honestly think we'd never lack for priests if we say they'll be trained as "Demon Hunters"... That's, like, a million times more awesome then just "Exorcist".

Anyways, I really have no opinion on this matte. Exorcism is considered very serious business in the church. It requires a great deal of training, and not just simply pointing a cross at someone and screaming "BEGONE SATAN!!!" I honestly don't think these girls realize the severity or professionalism the Church treats it with. For starters, priests spend a good while doing Psychological profiling on a person to determine whether or not it's really a possession or just a psychological issue. If it's confirmed as a possession of some sort, the priest can spend anywhere from an hour, to a day, to even weekly exorcisms trying to get rid of the possessed demon. Yes, prayer and crosses are a part of the ritual, but it requires a great deal of conduct, tradition, and knowledge.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked