Romney Spokesman Forced to Resign for Being Openly Gay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

tendaji:
It makes sense, fire the gay man in order to sure up the further right side of the political party that are still sore that Santorum isn't going to be the nomination. But he doesn't go out and say "Being gay is bad so I fired him" in order to not scare away some of the moderates/independent votes.

But actions speak louder than words, and by firing him simply for being gay demonstrates that he doesn't have a problem taking away people's jobs due to their sexuality. This means either he genuinely believes gays have no place working anywhere near his campaign, or he has no intention of making any effort to stand his ground as a moderate Republican, which at this point is about the only way he will win any of the undecided votes. And as an undecided voter myself, this is definitely not going to win him any points with me. I am trying to keep from voting on the next leader of the free world based solely on the gay issue, but my God the Republicans are making it difficult. If they don't grow up and move on to real issues by November I will be voting Obama just because I can't stand the thought of such a childish and pandering party getting the spot.

Tyler Perry:

Polarity27:
Whatever happened to "love the sinner, hate the sin"?

Pffff, that's hippie, liberal DEMOCRAT talk!

What, you don't remember those Bible passages where Jesus says to legalize systematic nationwide discrimination and oppression in his name?

Seekster:
Romney already is looked upon with suspicion by some Conservatives who are skeptical of him...the last thing he needs to do is give them more reasons to be suspect. Yeah I agree it sucks but its politics and Romney isnt going to get points in the election for sticking up for this guy.

Who the hell are conservatives going to vote for if not for Romney? Obama? Nice joke. Santorum? Paul? Gingrich? They were already dismissed in the primaries. Are they just not going to vote? May as well give the election to the Dems, then.

Naheal:

Seekster:
Romney already is looked upon with suspicion by some Conservatives who are skeptical of him...the last thing he needs to do is give them more reasons to be suspect. Yeah I agree it sucks but its politics and Romney isnt going to get points in the election for sticking up for this guy.

Who the hell are conservatives going to vote for if not for Romney? Obama? Nice joke. Santorum? Paul? Gingrich? They were already dismissed in the primaries. Are they just not going to vote? May as well give the election to the Dems, then.

Conservatives have a nasty habit of staying home when they dont like the nominee. I have already had great difficulty convincing people on the far right that Romney isnt a...in their words..."progressive". Its maddening yes by not voting they would help Obama whom they, we, at least claim to fear but in case you had not noticed, stubbornness is also a valued trait among Conservatives as well. Unfortunately we can also be stubborn at the most inopportune times.

Seekster:
one thing about Conservatives is we know that government is not the answer to all of societies ills and more often than not it is probably the source of those ills

Which is why you got mauled by a gang of angry football hooligans obviously commissioned by the US Department of Oppression to oppress you today.

Seekster:
Good for Cheney, I agree with him on that. There is nothing at all wrong with civil unions.

How would you feel if the gheys were the only ones capable of getting married? Would you feel equal to them if they gave you a union that carried none of the social connotations of marriage? Of course not.

And THIS is a case and point for why the Huffington Post is full of shit. Quite frankly I am ashamed of myself for not doing this sooner:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/richard-grenell-openly-gay-romney-aide-resigns-backlash/story?id=16255584#.T6CZL9Xc6LA

"Richard Grenell, openly gay Romney aide, resigns after backlash"

Some interesting bits:

"An openly gay Republican operative hired as Mitt Romney's foreign policy spokesman has abruptly resigned from the campaign, suggesting the focus on his personal life had become a distraction."

"While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama's foreign policy failures and weak leadership on the world stage, my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign," Grenell said. "I want to thank Gov. Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team."
-Richard Grenell

A Romney aide, speaking on background, tells Yahoo News the campaign tried to convince Grenell to stay with the campaign, but he declined-calling it "completely his decision, not ours."

So this discussion is now much changed and I furthermore demand that the OP amend their post and the topic title to reflect the facts of the case as they are, not as the Huffington Post would like them to be. Romney in fact wanted Grenell to stay on but Grenell is the one who left as his personal issues had unfortunately become a distraction to the campaign.

This ladies and gentleman is why you do not rely on Huffington Post for your news.

Naheal:

Seekster:

hey hey im a moderate. and just to say i probably wont vote this year. not that i think obama is extreme (hardly) im just not satisfied with his work. i have no problems with romney, but i don't really like him either. so im just gonna go eat or something on voting day.

Vryyk:

Tyler Perry:

Polarity27:
Whatever happened to "love the sinner, hate the sin"?

Pffff, that's hippie, liberal DEMOCRAT talk!

What, you don't remember those Bible passages where Jesus says to legalize systematic nationwide discrimination and oppression in his name?

Is that in the Epistle to the Republicans, along with that famous passage about how "tax cuts are a hymn to the glory of God"?

Seekster, I'm shocked. You're going to believe part of the LIBRUL BIASED MEDIA, just because it makes Romney look less bad?

Vryyk:

Agreed, this kind of thing makes Libertarians hate Republicans. Liberals annoy me at times and spend money poorly, but at least they mostly treat most people somewhat equally. Republicans have a pretty bad history of this sort of shit.

And the Republicans don't care, because most Libertarians vote like they want tax cuts a LOT more than they want equality.

keiskay:

Naheal:

Seekster:

hey hey im a moderate. and just to say i probably wont vote this year. not that i think obama is extreme (hardly) im just not satisfied with his work. i have no problems with romney, but i don't really like him either. so im just gonna go eat or something on voting day.

Halo 4 is coming out on that day. Are you psyched?

arbane:

Vryyk:

Agreed, this kind of thing makes Libertarians hate Republicans. Liberals annoy me at times and spend money poorly, but at least they mostly treat most people somewhat equally. Republicans have a pretty bad history of this sort of shit.

And the Republicans don't care, because most Libertarians vote like they want tax cuts a LOT more than they want equality.

I'm not sure which Libertarians you've been talking to, most of my friends are Objectivists or Libertarians and only one of them votes Republican. I would never support any candidate who supports any form of government-mandated suppression of rights.

You shouldn't consider all non-Democrats your enemy, I think we have a lot of common ground on a lot of important issues. As long as we avoid talking about how much money we need to spend on shit or whether plebs can be trusted with anything more dangerous than a wooden stake...

TheIronRuler:

keiskay:

Naheal:

Halo 4 is coming out on that day. Are you psyched?

no. unless it comes with Romney and obama multi player skins im not buying.

Seekster:
one thing about Conservatives is we know that government is not the answer to all of societies ills and more often than not it is probably the source of those ills.

I'd say the Republicans have become just as bad about expanding government responsibilities and powers in recent years. And this bothers me because I like the idea of having states manage more things, and it used to be my favorite thing the Republicans seemed to agree with me on.

Naheal:

Seekster:

Pretty much. The religious right and evangelicals don't play "lesser of the two evils". Hence why McCain was more or less forced to pick Palin last election.

Tyler Perry:
So, in other words, Seekster, Mitt Romney is a craven opportunist who is willing to sell out a staffer in a heartbeat in order to court the hatemonger vote, and that's just fine with you, because at least he's not Obama.

The mental gymnastics needed to defend this bullshit must be exhausting. If Romney had a shred of principles, he'd tell the AFA where to go shove it, but he won't, because the only principle Mitt Romney has is that he really, really wants to be President.

Romney didn't do anything wrong. He hired the right guy, clearly not caring about his sexuality.

In ANY political campaign, if ANYTHING becomes a potential polling problem, it is the unwritten job of the staffers to fall on their swords. He resigned, as he should have, and that will put him in the good books of everyone who understands the process, including Romney. Don't be surprised to see him with a nice appointment/job of Romney gets in. Favours get repaid in politics.

Vryyk:

Seekster:
one thing about Conservatives is we know that government is not the answer to all of societies ills and more often than not it is probably the source of those ills.

I'd say the Republicans have become just as bad about expanding government responsibilities and powers in recent years. And this bothers me because I like the idea of having states manage more things, and it used to be my favorite thing the Republicans seemed to agree with me on.

Yes Ill agree with you there, the Republican party needs a refresher course on the principles of limited government. Still ill take them over the Democrats when it comes to that issue for sure.

LetalisK:

Naheal:

Seekster:

Pretty much. The religious right and evangelicals don't play "lesser of the two evils". Hence why McCain was more or less forced to pick Palin last election.

Yes and Romney can't make the same mistakes as McCain. He needs to appeal to both the right and the center, something that will be difficult though not impossible to accomplish.

Wolverine18:

Tyler Perry:
So, in other words, Seekster, Mitt Romney is a craven opportunist who is willing to sell out a staffer in a heartbeat in order to court the hatemonger vote, and that's just fine with you, because at least he's not Obama.

The mental gymnastics needed to defend this bullshit must be exhausting. If Romney had a shred of principles, he'd tell the AFA where to go shove it, but he won't, because the only principle Mitt Romney has is that he really, really wants to be President.

Romney didn't do anything wrong. He hired the right guy, clearly not caring about his sexuality.

In ANY political campaign, if ANYTHING becomes a potential polling problem, it is the unwritten job of the staffers to fall on their swords. He resigned, as he should have, and that will put him in the good books of everyone who understands the process, including Romney. Don't be surprised to see him with a nice appointment/job of Romney gets in. Favours get repaid in politics.

The fact that he felt he HAD to resign is quite telling of the state of the Republican base.

Tyler Perry:

Wolverine18:

Tyler Perry:

The fact that he felt he HAD to resign is quite telling of the state of the Republican base.

I agree, its unfortunate it was an issue. However, that's not really Romney's fault. He is already a bit distrusted by that base himself for being "different".

I think however this tells you that Romney the man is more open than the nutty side of his base and he may in fact govern more to the centre on social issues.

In the USA...
The guy who leads the ELECTION CAMPAIGN (for foreign policy and defence) for another guy... but he's gay... nope... he must resign because it looks like its politically too impossible for the other guy to win with him...

Whats wrong with you people? If Albert Einstein was gay would you have shot him before he had created the nuclear bomb for you, and as a result led to the deaths of tens of millions of human beings when America was forced to invade Japan in order to end the 2nd world war...

Honestly I'm sick that the human race is so foolish and manipulatable by religion... I'm a Christian and am ashamed to call these people Christians... Love you neighbour... unless your neighbour is: homosexual, a different religion, a different race, a single woman with kids, a different etc etc etc...

Comando96:
In the USA...
The guy who leads the ELECTION CAMPAIGN (for foreign policy and defence) for another guy... but he's gay... nope... he must resign because it looks like its politically too impossible for the other guy to win with him...

Whats wrong with you people? If Albert Einstein was gay would you have shot him before he had created the nuclear bomb for you, and as a result led to the deaths of tens of millions of human beings when America was forced to invade Japan in order to end the 2nd world war...

Honestly I'm sick that the human race is so foolish and manipulatable by religion... I'm a Christian and am ashamed to call these people Christians... Love you neighbour... unless your neighbour is: homosexual, a different religion, a different race, a single woman with kids, a different etc etc etc...

I agree it sucks but the guy resigned on his own accord, Romney wanted him to stay on.

Seekster:
I agree it sucks but the guy resigned on his own accord, Romney wanted him to stay on.

Wanted him to stay on...

sourc---

"While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama's foreign policy failures and weak leadership on the world stage, my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign," Grenell said. "I want to thank Gov. Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team."

A Romney aide, speaking on background, tells Yahoo News the campaign tried to convince Grenell to stay with the campaign, but he declined-calling it "completely his decision, not ours."

nvm.

...we are in agreement Seekster...

Good Good.

Comando96:

Seekster:

Wanted him to stay on...

sourc---

nvm.

...we are in agreement Seekster...

Good Good.

Funny how Huffington omits important details like that which change the context of the story...sort of reminds me of what Rush Limbaugh does.

Seekster:
Funny how Huffington omits important details like that which change the context of the story...sort of reminds me of what Rush Limbaugh does.

Funnily enough the BBC found some time in between reporting on the fucking Panda's to report on this issue. Report... not form opinions ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17917746

I don't read the Huffington post... not unless I'm directed to it as a source.

Bryan Fischer, director of issues analysis for the American Family Association, a group opposed to homosexuality, wrote a blog post on 20 April attacking Mr Romney's choice, saying it sent a "message to the pro-family community: drop dead".

Interesting... the "family association guy" said drop dead?

The BBC also had the Romney team quote saying that he wished he had stayed.
And a Democrat saying this is the people Romney would be taken hostage by. Letting every group involved have their say. Unbias >.>

Comando96:

Seekster:

Funnily enough the BBC found some time in between reporting on the fucking Panda's to report on this issue. Report... not form opinions ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17917746

I don't read the Huffington post... not unless I'm directed to it as a source.

Bryan Fischer, director of issues analysis for the American Family Association, a group opposed to homosexuality, wrote a blog post on 20 April attacking Mr Romney's choice, saying it sent a "message to the pro-family community: drop dead".

Interesting... the "family association guy" said drop dead?

The BBC also had the Romney team quote saying that he wished he had stayed.
And a Democrat saying this is the people Romney would be taken hostage by. Letting every group involved have their say. Unbias >.>

You know if Romney loses the response is going to be that he was too moderate and the far-right will try and pull the party further to the right just like they did after McCain faltered.

But yes it is sad that people out there lose sight of the issue and make things personal. There is absolutely no reason this guy should have been a problem to anyone. Now if he were advising Romney on social issues that would be another matter but he was not and shame on Fischer for his drastic overreaction.

Okay, one question? Are them Republican guys downright determined to mutilate themselves into an irrecognizible mass of giblets and blood by shooting themselves in the foot, knees, and every other bit, before the elections are even on?

'cause that's how it looks to me. Land of the free, home of the brave, where you are a "liability" if you're gay. Fuck such "freedom", fuck such "bravery". I spit on them.

Seekster:
You know if Romney loses the response is going to be that he was too moderate and the far-right will try and pull the party further to the right just like they did after McCain faltered.

And... Natural Selection... hopefully the Republican party will just die off and be a problem child in the corner until someone reforms it and kicks out the lunatics and create the New Republican Party.

Frankly I couldn't care if the democrats died off... another part would form to pick up their members.
The Republican party has dissatisfied the people who are aligning themselves now as Tea Party members. They are still Republicans officially but unofficially they distort the Republican party... as they are lunatics. If they cripple the Republican party then fine... something new will form but without them as a burden to bear.

Seekster:
But yes it is sad that people out there lose sight of the issue and make things personal. There is absolutely no reason this guy should have been a problem to anyone. Now if he were advising Romney on social issues that would be another matter but he was not and shame on Fischer for his drastic overreaction.

There would be a cross over of interest if he was the social but nothing inhertently wrong... only wrong if he wanted to lose the election in the US...

Seekster:

Comando96:
In the USA...

That doesn't change the fact that he felt pressure from those around him to leave. That means the other people he had to work around--the rest of the people running the campaign--were not willing to accept his support. He was willing to put the issue aside to focus on others, but the others weren't willing to let it go. As you said, that is very indicative of the base and the support Romney has surrounded himself with, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Now would be a great opportunity for Romney to jump into the fray and make his thoughts and side of the story known, to make sure he doesn't lose the moderates he's going to have to rely on if he's going to pull this off. Hell, he could win some by pointing out he is welcome to gays into his campaign and that he regrets what happened with Grenell. But I highly doubt that would happen, as proving himself to be a decent human being who can tolerate the presence of gay people would lose him even more of the extreme conservatives who have now been forced to reluctantly hitch themselves to his wagon.

I don't think that social conservatism will carry the Republican party much longer, on the contrary. It only serves to alienate younger voters and moderates in general. The populace of the USA is changing, as the worries about "the Latino vote" also demonstrates as one of several examples.
Plus, things like this kind of undermine the "restart" that Romney's campaign wanted to do after the primaries, getting rid of the far-right baggage to appeal to moderate voters.
But sure, go ahead. Maybe then the Democrats and the Obama administration in particular will see that they don't have to keep going to the right (although I fear they'll take a victory as validation that they are at the perfect spot of the political spectrum instead and continue to consider their base "fucking retarded"; no, I'm not letting that go, it pisses me off).

Comando96:
In the USA...

Y'know, I was gonna bring up Turing, and how people should look at the atrocities committed by their own country before pointing hypothetical fingers, but i figured that would be a cheap shot.

Instead, I'm gonna agree with you that modern religious destructive manipulation is what's holding the entire human race back. The use of religion to control the masses and to demonize anyone who's "different" is abhorrent. The fact that there are so many who want to make these hate-fueled ideas governmental law is sickening.

Captcha: face the music. I wish they would, Captcha. I wish they would.

wintercoat:
Y'know, I was gonna bring up Turing, and how people should look at the atrocities committed by their own country before pointing hypothetical fingers, but i figured that would be a cheap shot.

Fire away. You've not exactly saints either... you just didn't knowingly kill off a genius of the age... it's all down to luck in that regard...

USA law:
Prior to 1962, sodomy was a felony in every state, punished by a lengthy term of imprisonment and/or hard labor.

The chemical castration was offered as an alternative to imprisonment. Even then at that time in the UK we recognised that it was something out of the persons control and therefore Religious Dogma still in law we saw to alter that. Of course our science was insufficient and therefore the treatment ignorant of the full cause and the treatment had side effects, side effects for him, severe depression resulting in suicide.
In the USA now you have camps which are meant to turn you heterosexual but most likely just do a lot of mental damage to you. Same reason, religious dogma. Same desired effect. Same failed understanding and treatment in ignorance of the problem... similar mentally damaging effects...

If we had him then we still wouldn't have maintained our Empire but fucking hell we'd have carved ourselves a nice minor economic empire in regard to computers instead of handing the whole industry over to the USA... if we hadn't killed him off with the anti-homosexuality laws, not that the USA was much better at that time in history either. We had a genius and we killed him off because of where he wanted to put his member... we killed a person because of it...

However you look at this I could never understand any God who would knowingly create a human being in such a way that they would suffer for their genetically coded impulses and be wanted them to suffer and do what they do not, and then want the other normal humans to persecute them... persecute children to the point of suicide...

If there is a God and if any message was sent to us then fucking hell what happened to it and how many people have interfered with it over the thousands of years...
Love thy neighbour... everything else is bullshit or covered by Love thy neighbour...

Comando96:
We had a genius and we killed him off because of where he wanted to put his member... we killed a person because of it...

... and don't forget Oscar Wilde. We could have had more novels and plays. And they would have been fucking brilliant.

Seekster:

TheGuy(wantstobe):
HuffPo

Richard Grenell, Mitt Romney's recently hired openly gay spokesman who was supposed to lead the Romney campaign on the issue of foreign policy and national defense, has resigned, according to a report in the Washington Post.
The Post report, by conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin, says that Grenell resigned after anti-gay conservatives pushed back against Romney's hire.
One conservative, Bryan Fischer, the director of issue analysis at the American Family Association, made a particular public spectacle of that pushback against Grenell.

Well...

Ummm...

Yeah...

Too easy to take jabs at Repubs for this but I'm not particularly surprised. Still the fact that you can't be openly gay and be a spokesman for the likely Republican Presidential nominee speaks volumes of the sort of base it is. Still waiting for Romney to condemn the personal attacks on his now former spokesman on the basis of his sexuality and I suspect I'l be waiting for a long time.

I think this is absurd but politically the guy was a liability for Romney. If he stuck by him it would severely hurt him in the election.

I don't see why the guy being gay matters, its not like Romney hired him to be an advisor on social policy (that would make his sexual orientation relevant). Of course I am also curious why Romney hired him to begin with, surely he knew he would be a liability.

Edit:

And THIS is a case and point for why the Huffington Post is full of shit. Quite frankly I am ashamed of myself for not doing this sooner:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/richard-grenell-openly-gay-romney-aide-resigns-backlash/story?id=16255584#.T6CZL9Xc6LA

"Richard Grenell, openly gay Romney aide, resigns after backlash"

Some interesting bits:

"An openly gay Republican operative hired as Mitt Romney's foreign policy spokesman has abruptly resigned from the campaign, suggesting the focus on his personal life had become a distraction."

-Richard Grenell

So this discussion is now much changed and I furthermore demand that the OP amend their post and the topic title to reflect the facts of the case as they are, not as the Huffington Post would like them to be. Romney in fact wanted Grenell to stay on but Grenell is the one who left as his personal issues had unfortunately become a distraction to the campaign.

This ladies and gentleman is why you do not rely on Huffington Post for your news.

Well you certainly took the bait deary. Take a look at the actual link. Where does it link to sweetie?

edit: Are you going to backtrack and try and spin this or slink off like you always do when confronted with the hard truth that you've been caught with your trousers down. Before you ask though, yes I did deliberately name the source HuffPo to see once and for all if you specifically actually bother to read the content of the post and the links/sources or went off the thread title only. At least now we all have proof.

This ladies and gentleman is why you don't listen to Seekster.

Seekster:

We all know perfectly well that there's a difference between what actually happens behind closed doors and what they tell the press. It's very disingenuous of you to pretend otherwise.

Bluntly, it's a well known practice - not just in politics - that higher-ups inform liability underlings that they have to go. The system of supposed "voluntary resignation" may occur for a number of reasons, but usually to protect the reputations of one or both parties, or even the whole organisation.

Thus what we know for sure is that we don't know how the resignation came about and no-one involved is going to reliably tell us the full truth any time soon. Maybe Grenell jumped, maybe Romney pushed him.

However, with respect to the title, "Romney Spokesman Forced to Resign for Being Openly Gay", it's undeniably true. He might not have been forced by Romney, but he was forced by need for Romney to win over homophobic voters.

For some reason, and really shouldn't be, I'm reminded of a quote from American Dad

"These men didn't choose to be gay, but they did choose to be Republican". This staffer was willingly working for a political party that by and large seems to ignore or have openly hostile attitudes towards homosexuals, because he honestly thought they presented their policies as a whole, to be better for everyone. Wow, that is non-Partisan politics if ever I saw it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked