Arizona cuts funding to planned parenthood

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47303496/ns/us_news-life/#.T6S-MsVK-Uk

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (shown above) on Friday signed into law a bill banning abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from receiving money through the state, her office said in a statement.

The Republican-backed Whole Woman's Health Funding Priority Act cuts off funding for family planning and health services delivered by Planned Parenthood clinics and other organizations offering abortions.

"By signing this measure into law I stand with the majority of Americans who oppose the use of taxpayer funds for abortion," Brewer said in a statement.

Arizona joins six other states with similar laws, officials said. But three of those states - Indiana, Kansas and North Carolina - are facing legal challenges.

Arizona does not provide tax dollars for abortion, but backers said the law is needed to make sure that no indirect monies are funneled to organizations like Planned Parenthood that provide abortion and other health services. There were no estimates of how much money is involved.

But officials at Planned Parenthood Arizona, the state's largest abortion provider, said the law means that thousands of women in the state may now go without life-saving cancer screenings, birth control and basic health care.

"We are most concerned about the women and men who could be forced to go without health care as a result of this bill," Bryan Howard, Planned Parenthood Arizona's president and CEO, said in a prepared statement.
Advertise | AdChoices

"We remain committed to providing Arizona communities with the professional, nonjudgmental and confidential health care they have relied on for 78 years," Howard said.

The anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List called the bill a "major victory" in its fight to bar funding of abortion providers.

"Abortion-centered businesses like Planned Parenthood do not need or deserve taxpayer dollars," Marilyn Musgrave, vice president of government affairs for the organization, said in a written statement.

While Planned Parenthood suffered a setback in Arizona, it won a temporary battle in court on Friday with Texas. A federal appeals court ruled that the organization could participate in a health program for low-income women in Texas, despite a new state rule there that bans affiliates of abortion providers.

This is truly sickening. I am a lost of words.

Captcha: Time Lord

With someone who looks like that, she may be old enough to be one.

Oh, Arizona, you just keep on doing it, don't you?
In another recent thread about Arizona, somebody claimed that Arizona was relatively evenly split among progressives and conservatives. If that's true, how come we continue to get these sorts of bills out of there?

"Abortion-centered businesses like Planned Parenthood do not need or deserve taxpayer dollars," Marilyn Musgrave, vice president of government affairs for the organization, said in a written statement.

Which is a damned lie because abortions are only 2% of the services Planned Parenthood provides. Planned Parenthood are nothing more than a scapegoat, meat thrown to the social conservatives to keep them chomping at the bit and falling in lockstep with the Republicans. After all, now that ACORN is a thing of the past, the party needs a new punching bag.

As for Brewer, no surprise that she doesn't give a shit about reproductive health care. The last time she had to worry about childbearing or a monthly cycle Ramses the Great was still in power.

Republicans, in your vagina? It's more likely than you think.

I wish I had a reason to visit my local Planned Parenthood, they owe me $35. Plus HIV testing is always a hoot.
So lonely

Skeleon:
How come we continue to get these sorts of bills out of there?

Space magic. How else could you explain the sort of crap that's been happening lately?

PercyBoleyn:

Skeleon:
How come we continue to get these sorts of bills out of there?

Space magic. How else could you explain the sort of crap that's been happening lately?

It does get very hot there...

usmarine4160:

It does get very hot there...

Heat stroke? Nah, too convenient.

She looks like a purse!

Am I the only one who is horrified by the picture?

Ultratwinkie:

No. She looks like the fucking Cryptkeeper.

I guess Arizona is trying to beat out Texas to become the new National Bad Government Laboratory.

Can't PP sue those religious zealots who have taken control of Arizona on the grounds that they're going back on earlier agreements or violating essential government services? I mean, if you cut all funding to an entire state's fire or police department, there'd be trouble too.

Skeleon:
In another recent thread about Arizona, somebody claimed that Arizona was relatively evenly split among progressives and conservatives. If that's true, how come we continue to get these sorts of bills out of there?

the same reason that the republicans currently hold more senate seats then before and the fact that they lead the house of rep now now. tons of people went bat shit insane after obamas election and this is the results of that. but i feel that this issue is still being over shadowed by the not-so recent-recent legalization of medicinal marijuana here. no seriously i have not heard anything about this bill til today all i've been hearing about for the past two weeks was medicinal marijuana.

Oh look, the politicians are throwing the baby out with the bathwater to appease the ignorant masses. I can't say I'm surprised, but it's certainly a major mistake.

Ultratwinkie:

This is direct counter evidence to the blonde Republican sex kitten stereotype.

keiskay:

Skeleon:

the same reason that the republicans currently hold more senate seats then before and the fact that they lead the house of rep now now. tons of people went bat shit insane after obamas election and this is the results of that. but i feel that this issue is still being over shadowed by the not-so recent-recent legalization of medicinal marijuana here. no seriously i have not heard anything about this bill til today all i've been hearing about for the past two weeks was medicinal marijuana.

Blaming Obama for everything is wrong, Arizona has alway consisted of a bunch of redneck religious extremists. . . They are what North Carolina wants to be.

TheDarkEricDraven:

Ultratwinkie:

Im sure she might have been called that 130 years ago.

TheDarkEricDraven:

No, Brewer is much worse. She's in the post-bimbo stage, when a conservative woman has done everything women are supposed to do, be pretty, marry, have kids, fix a household and is thus pretty useless.

Then you get a so-called post-life crisis where they just hate everyone who's better or worse off, and try to make everyone's lives miserable. ;-)

Why don't they just not do abortions? I fail to see the issue here. Maybe my absolute disgust for abortion (which will not be discussed because I have no desire to have fifty messages in my inbox) blinds me to this, but I do not see why they can't simply funnel all the government money to facilities which do not carry out abortions, and only carry out abortions in specific facilities. Especially if abortions are only a minute part of what they do like so many people claim. Sure they shouldn't get all their funding cancelled if they do so many other important services, but the funding should not go to abortions. And calling yourself planned parenthood if most of what you do is give sex related medical treatment may be a bad idea. Sexual healing may be a more appropriate, more humorous name.

Nikolaz72:

keiskay:

Skeleon:

Blaming Obama for everything is wrong, Arizona has alway consisted of a bunch of redneck religious extremists. . . They are what North Carolina wants to be.

hmm source? im sure your opinion though is based on factual and firsthand knowledge though, but still a source would be nice.

Blablahb:
Can't PP sue those religious zealots who have taken control of Arizona on the grounds that they're going back on earlier agreements or violating essential government services? I mean, if you cut all funding to an entire state's fire or police department, there'd be trouble too.

Wasn't there a county in New Jersey this year who slashed funding for the police so much that they could no longer afford to pursue burglary and robbery cases?

Revnak:
And calling yourself planned parenthood if most of what you do is give sex related medical treatment may be a bad idea. Sexual healing may be a more appropriate, more humorous name.

They also give women screenings for various cancers such as breast and ovarian. They test for and treat infections of the reproductive system also. Considering those can be life-threatening regardless of how sexually active you are...

Also, they do provide family planning services. Sadly, the current idea of Republican family planning pretty much amounts to, "Get married." That hasn't been working out so great.

Revnak:
Why don't they just not do abortions?

Because that would see them get dragged into court and get thrown out as in violation of law, constitution, human rights and what not.

For instance there's that for the conservatives incredibly annoying part of the US constitution that says the state shall not establish any religion, so the only true motivation of the anti-abortion mob "because I'm a drone and the pastor told me to think this" can never be brought out in the open, because any measures based on that would get shot down as unconstitutional.

Thus, honesty and anti-abortion freaks have a relationship like a balloon and a cactus: they may want eachother sometimes but it will never work.

DrVornoff:

Revnak:
And calling yourself planned parenthood if most of what you do is give sex related medical treatment may be a bad idea. Sexual healing may be a more appropriate, more humorous name.

They also give women screenings for various cancers such as breast and ovarian. They test for and treat infections of the reproductive system also. Considering those can be life-threatening regardless of how sexually active you are...

Also, they do provide family planning services. Sadly, the current idea of Republican family planning pretty much amounts to, "Get married." That hasn't been working out so great.

1. I knew this, and it has even less to do with family planning than STD testing. As ovaries and breasts are technically sex organs of a sort, my name is still more appropriate.

2. That is somewhat rude. Republicans don't advocate government funded family planning beyond marriage. I'm pretty certain they're all for marital and family counseling of all sorts. They just want you to pay for it yourself. Same with birth control, though only being against the abortion part of planned parenthood could be seen to imply they aren't against government paying for people to get condoms and the like.

Blablahb:

Revnak:

Because that would see them get dragged into court and get thrown out as in violation of law, constitution, human rights and what not.

For instance there's that for the conservatives incredibly annoying part of the US constitution that says the state shall not establish any religion, so the only true motivation of the anti-abortion mob "because I'm a drone and the pastor told me to think this" can never be brought out in the open, because any measures based on that would get shot down as unconstitutional.

Thus, honesty and anti-abortion freaks have a relationship like a balloon and a cactus: they may want eachother sometimes but it will never work.

Thank you for insulting me in the most obscure manner I have ever been insulted in my life. Reported. Mostly because you may have just said I fucked camels for all I know.

Revnak:

Because abortion is a legal medical procedure, and I for one couldn't care less if you have a "distaste" for it. I don't think anyone has a "taste" for it; however, to insist they just don't perform a legitimate medical procedure because YOU don't like it is bullshit.

Revnak:
Thank you for insulting me in the most obscure manner I have ever been insulted in my life

You're welcome, and always free to change your point of view to avoid deserving any such qualifications if you don't like them.

What you're not welcome to do however is take a political point of view that comes down to stuffing your religion down other people's throats at the expense of their human rights and freedom, and then break off the discussion and feel offended when you're called out on it.

If you think I'm wrong though, why not show us a second argument for the camp of anti-abortion freaks? It would be a first.

Oh, and don't make the mistake of bringing up the pro-life scam or alledged costs. Been there, done that, debunked all of it.

Tyler Perry:

Revnak:

Because abortion is a legal medical procedure, and I for one couldn't care less if you have a "distaste" for it. I don't think anyone has a "taste" for it; however, to insist they just don't perform a legitimate medical procedure because YOU don't like it is bullshit.

So is plastic surgery. So are circumcisions. Neither should be paid for with government money unless it is significantly necessary. I think the same can be said of abortions. And thank you for thinking I shouldn't be part of the democratic process because I dislike abortion. I suppose you would not like the tables to be turner regarding foreign wars if you fit a certain stereotype. Maybe those who disliked racism should have just been told to shut up and deal with it, especially those white folks who should have known better.

Revnak:
Why don't they just not do abortions? I fail to see the issue here. Maybe my absolute disgust for abortion (which will not be discussed because I have no desire to have fifty messages in my inbox) blinds me to this, but I do not see why they can't simply funnel all the government money to facilities which do not carry out abortions, and only carry out abortions in specific facilities. Especially if abortions are only a minute part of what they do like so many people claim. Sure they shouldn't get all their funding cancelled if they do so many other important services, but the funding should not go to abortions. And calling yourself planned parenthood if most of what you do is give sex related medical treatment may be a bad idea. Sexual healing may be a more appropriate, more humorous name.

They probably could. My guess is that they were never asked to, and even if they did funnel all their government funding to non-abortion operations, it likely wouldn't have done anything to avert this.
I know someone who works for my local PP here in Canada. According to her, if they added up all their operating costs that is related in any way to abortions, it comes to less than 10% of their budget; government funds do not account for 90% of their total revenues. To stop using government funds to pay for abortion related services would be easy to do, but it wouldn't help anything.

This move by Arizona is a political assassination of an organization. End of story. The abortion line is simply a good excuse for them to cut funding. If PP stopped paying for abortions, they would've found some other excuse to cut its funding.

Blablahb:

Revnak:
Thank you for insulting me in the most obscure manner I have ever been insulted in my life

You're welcome, and always free to change your point of view to avoid deserving any such qualifications if you don't like them.

What you're not welcome to do however is take a political point of view that comes down to stuffing your religion down other people's throats at the expense of their human rights and freedom, and then break off the discussion and feel offended when you're called out on it.

Yes, because religion is the only thing that could ever lead an individual to value a fetus in any manner. I almost wish I was an atheist just to prove you wrong, but alas, I am not. Not that I only think the way I do politically due to my religion, I am a huge fan of secularist government. I simply think that to define a person as anything other than something that possesses the genetics of a person excludes many who deserve that title.

Pingieking:

Revnak:

They probably could. My guess is that they were never asked to, and even if they did funnel all their government funding to non-abortion operations, it likely wouldn't have done anything to avert this.
I know someone who works for my local PP here in Canada. According to her, if they added up all their operating costs that is related in any way to abortions, it comes to less than 10% of their budget; government funds do not account for 90% of their total revenues. To stop using government funds to pay for abortion related services would be easy to do, but it wouldn't help anything.

This move by Arizona is a political assassination of an organization. End of story.

I suppose that is true, and I am sad to see something that does serve a vital function to society go away. It probably is just politics as usual, but I still wish there was a way to do what I proposed and still have planned parenthood get the funding it needs. I suppose that's a bit of a pipe dream really, and pointless effort in many ways. And thank you for not insulting me. Seems that having non-hostile views about abortion is a rarity on these forums.

Revnak:
*snip*

Thank you for engaging me in a good discussion. I, too, am sad to see PP in Arizona be faced with this kind of trial. Especially since there's no socialized medicine down in the states. PP does so much that it's essentially a general health service provider to women. To lose that means that a lot of women in Arizona will now have nowhere to go for health services. My hope is that the supporters of this bill gets absolutely thrashed in the next election.

Perhaps on topic: the captcha is "let go". Are we sure that the server isn't sentient?

Pingieking:

Revnak:
*snip*

Thank you for engaging me in a good discussion. I, too, am sad to see PP in Arizona be faced with this kind of trial. Especially since there's no socialized medicine down in the states. PP does so much that it's essentially a general health service provider to women. To lose that means that a lot of women in Arizona will now have nowhere to go for health services. My hope is that the supporters of this bill gets absolutely thrashed in the next election.

Perhaps on topic: the captcha is "let go". Are we sure that the server isn't sentient?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to hope that they are destroyed over this issue, as I don't really know how they stand on other issues, but I do hope it is used against them so that they made change their minds. If they don't want funding to go to abortions there has to be a better way to do it then to just cut all funding to PP.

And it may be sentient, but if it is then that means that it wants me to view necrophilia pornography considering what it said to me in the past.

Revnak:
So is plastic surgery. So are circumcisions. Neither should be paid for with government money unless it is significantly necessary. I think the same can be said of abortions.

And guess what? The amount of government money that pays for abortions is infinitesimal.

Revnak:
And thank you for thinking I shouldn't be part of the democratic process because I dislike abortion. I suppose you would not like the tables to be turner regarding foreign wars if you fit a certain stereotype. Maybe those who disliked racism should have just been told to shut up and deal with it, especially those white folks who should have known better.

lolwut

Persecution complex in aisle five ...

Looking at this thread my first reaction was shock that Ray Liotta managed to have a sex change operation and become Governor of Arizona without me ever hearing about it.

My second reaction is that the Arizona voters that love it when their politicians do shit like this need to pair up and rub their individual brain cells together. Seriously, it must suck being one of the sane people in that state, having to watch friends, neighbors, and coworkers vote for people because they cut PP funding and framed it as a way to reduce abortions. Politicians in states doing this must be laughing their asses off at the thought of being able to actually gain votes by cutting funding for public services just because those services involve fucking.

And the funny thing is:

On that one with Arizona and the UN, the OP said that "under this bill, the state...can't do anything to promote human health..." or something along those lines.

Japan, You sane compared the the US of A...

Tyler Perry:

Revnak:
So is plastic surgery. So are circumcisions. Neither should be paid for with government money unless it is significantly necessary. I think the same can be said of abortions.

And guess what? The amount of government money that pays for abortions is infinitesimal.

Revnak:
And thank you for thinking I shouldn't be part of the democratic process because I dislike abortion. I suppose you would not like the tables to be turner regarding foreign wars if you fit a certain stereotype. Maybe those who disliked racism should have just been told to shut up and deal with it, especially those white folks who should have known better.

lolwut

Persecution complex in aisle five ...

1. Then why not make it zero?
2. You said that a government funded agency should not consider my opinion, the opinion of a taxpayer, about whether or not they should carry out abortions. I apologize for making baseless assumptions about you, but a previous poster had just insulted me in a manner that honestly confused me. I was in a bit of a mood I suppose.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked