Would or Have You Ever Participated In A Riot?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was watching videos of the London riots and was wondering, would you or have you ever been in a riot?

When I was in 6th grade a bunch of 8th graders started a riot on the staircase between all the kids (300+) around 40+ were arrested. I remember helping my friends get out the staircase, got into a few altercations.

Have I? No.

Would I? Depends on the cause. Some things are worth rioting over. Not many things I don't think, but some.

Have I? No. Would I? No, not willingly. I guess there is always the chance of accidentally getting swept up into a mob, but I would do my best to stay safe and uninvolved.

Even if a riot hopes to complete a constructive goal at first, that message gets lost in all the chaos and inevitable violence and property damage. The race riots of '67 did shed a lot of light on the civil rights movement and racial tensions in urban areas, but in the end nobody really came out as a clear winner or could claim the higher ground since both parties participated in the violence. The only thing they proved was that everybody is capable of violence when pushed hard enough.

A few protests, but never a riot. I'm not a fan of smashing up someone else's stuff to make my point.

Doubtful. I'm a slight fellow and I try to avoid any sort of physical altercations, be it as part of a large group or not. As soon as there's the chance of me getting maced in the face, I'm outtie.

no, while i dont mind fighting(in a ring) or going into the occasional mosh pit, i dont like the idea of destroying public property, business, or hurting innocent people just cause im really drunk or super pissed off at something.

A couple of times. I live in an area prone to protests and being on the far left I have attended my fair share. Never thrown rocks or otherwise destroyed stuff, I usually stick to help people get out of tear gas and stuff like that.

I was with a protest blocking the main street of my city, but that didn't turn into a riot. I have never been to a protest that turned into a riot.
Would I be at a riot? Could happen, depends what's happening to the protest. Would I "participate"? No. I'd try to get away from there.

Have I ever? No.

Would I? I'd have to say yes. I'm only occasionally the cool-headed one, and if I was in a truly desperate situation (as what usually lead to riots), I could see myself being swept up in it.

Never partook in one. But if the opportunity came up, and I just happened to have a mighty steed and medieval flail, then sure, why not?

This could just be connotation, but I tend to think of riots as the crappy middle ground between protests and revolts/revolutions. As in, you're not peaceful, but you're not really using violence as a means for a worthy end either. You're just breaking shit 'cuz you're mad.

So, I'd try not to ever get caught up in a riot.

keiskay:
no, while i dont mind fighting(in a ring) or going into the occasional mosh pit, i dont like the idea of destroying public property, business, or hurting innocent people just cause im really drunk or super pissed off at something.

You have a awesome avatar. Huge Tyler fan. Met him in Atlanta.

Have I? No.

Would I? No.

I'm all for protests, by all means, but rioting is petty, immature and stupid. If my government began to violently put down a peaceful protest I would fight back, absolutely and if I had good reason I would certainly be part of a rebel/insurgent group but rioting is just pointless violence clinging to pretentions of something greater. Sometimes not even.

Two riots that stick out for me are LA in '92 and Vancouver last year. The people in Vancouver were idiots crying because they didn't get their way in something as petty as sports. They had no cause, someone had come in and ruined their hcokey fun so they took it out on their own city. In LA there was a cause but it went way too far, and the riots only served to underscore and deepen racial tensions. Riots are useless. If you have a cause it undermines it and if you don't you're an idiot, I have no time for such useless crap.

No.

Rioting means your side has lost the argument. Is doesn't matter what the causes are, if there's hooliganism it means you're a bunch of mindless hooligans and therefore totally wrong.

Which makes every protest ever one step away from a disaster, especially when you've got the obligatory stupid fucks trying to fuck everything up, assuming they aren't planted by your opposition.

Hell yes. But only if it was against a really bad government that is essentially a dictatorship, like Syria, and only if diplomacy has failed. I haven't participated in one & probably won't, but am sort of surprised that everyone has dismissed it entirely out of hand.

Uhm, does a food fight count? If so, yes and it was awesome. Beyond that I have not; nor do I plan to. If I am ever in a situation where violence is necessary I am definitely not taking it out on random shops and people; thats just idiotic.

Katatori-kun:
A few protests, but never a riot. I'm not a fan of smashing up someone else's stuff to make my point.

This. The london riots didnt hurt the government. It hurt the families whose things were destroyed. Their lives. Their work. Gone. These people, OTHER londoners, suffered. And it basically equated to shitting on your own doorstep. Dont destroy your city. You LIVE there. Those businesses and livelyhoods need to survive. Hurting them changes nothing.

No but I imagine a lot of people that took part in riots would say the same thing. The group mentality does strange things to normally calm people. One second your protesting then your getting pushed back by a line of cops and suddenly it's time for retaliation. Riots usually aren't effective in the long term even when you get what you want.

According to English police men, yes. They love turning peaceful protests into "riots".

BiscuitTrouser:

Katatori-kun:

This. The london riots didnt hurt the government. It hurt the families whose things were destroyed. Their lives. Their work. Gone. These people, OTHER londoners, suffered. And it basically equated to shitting on your own doorstep. Dont destroy your city. You LIVE there. Those businesses and livelyhoods need to survive. Hurting them changes nothing.

I always did say the whole thing would have been half as bad if they trashed Cameron's house.

I haven't, but I won't say that I never would. It depends on the cause, and under the right circumstances, I would wholeheartedly support fighting against government and the police.

Honestly though, I'm not sure the general populace has enough of a back bone to do it for even the right reasons. With all of the things that have happened in the US especially in the last few years I'm surprised there hasn't really been any rioting.

In spite of having a football lineman's build, I have never lifted a fist in anger, and highly doubt that I ever will, in a riot or any other situation. In addition, I've proven to be fairly well resistant to mob mentality in situations where others are getting swept along.

There are causes worth fighting for, and times where violence is necessary. But a riot tends to be nothing more than chaos without purpose, often only causing harm to those completely uninvolved in whatever the hell the crowd was angry at.

I haven't. The London Riots were a cover for disgraceful, greedy looters. I would never have joined those scumbags. However, if it was a cause worth fighting for, I might join if the riots seemed to be turning into outright rebellion. The new world order can only go so far in treading on peoples' liberties before they start to wake up to the wave of oppression and intimidation.

I would not willingly join in a riot, but police in the U.S. (as was mentioned with English police) often tend to have a different definition of what a riot is than the commoners, and if I'm at a protest that is defined as a riot, I won't throw a trash can through a window to prove a point but I'd have to say I'm participating when I showed up willingly and knew shit could turn sour.

Thankfully not!

Even if I agreed philosophically with the concept, I'd still be way to lazy for something like that. I didn't even put in the effort to go to a Ron Paul rally given the chance.

When I was young and far left I was caught up in the anti-poll tax riots in 1990.

Was swept along by them but didn't do anything illegal.

Was very exciting at the time.

I didn't choose to participate in a riot though. It just happened and I happened to be there amidst it at the time.

Damn, that was 22 years ago. Where did all the time go. Seems just like yesterday.

Regards

Nightspore

ps don't go thinking I am THAT old. I was a high school student at the time.

Have I? No

Would I? If by "participate" you mean "aim a loaded shotgun at someone trying to break my windows and tell them to fuck off now," then yes.

Don't like crowds outside hockey games, so no, no I would not.

Haven't had the opportunity and I'm not the rioting type.

Looting, on the other hand...

Riots only under very certain circumstances (such as Brixton or poll tax). But I generally will support a legitimate protest (as long as its a cause I believe in)

Never been in a situation close to a riot, and would never participate myself. It's merely a protest that's gotten out of hand.

Amnestic:
Have I? No.

Would I? Depends on the cause. Some things are worth rioting over. Not many things I don't think, but some.

This is basically my answer. I don't think things are bad enough yet to riot, per say, even if I recognize violence might effect temporary change faster, I'm still much in preference of non-violence as a method of getting a point across. But in theory, there is a line that crossed would change that. I don't believe complete pacifism as completely valid or moral. I feel that non-violence is a good ideal, but not an absolute.

I haven't, but if ever the day comes where I believe in a cause strongly enough and the specific situation leads itself to a riot... probably. Not ruling it out.

No, not really, I have seen a couple but I've never participated on one, my father got kidnapped twice during 2 different riots though, this was back when he worked for the government, it was quite some time ago I believe it was on 1996, he worked in something that had to do with agriculture I don't remember what it was.

No, I think that I am still a bit too isolated from major cities to be involved in a riot. Although I'm not opposed to being a part of one. I wouldn't be the one at the protest that hurled the first rock, and I wouldn't be the one rushing off to loot either. I would rather just try and observe everything up close and 'watch the world burn'. Unless of course the riot was concerning something personal or very important to me, in which case I might try and be at the front lines.

Also, I would always carry around a couple bags of fresh groceries to avoid being arrested. "Officer, I swear, I was just coming back from the store when all of these hooligans started getting rowdy!" Arrest averted.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked