Australia Federal Budget

We have quite a few Australians here so we can have a discussion about the effects internally, but also I would just like to note that as far as I am aware we are the first developed economy to put forward a budget surplus since the GFC.

To save writing it all out

http://www.news.com.au/money/federal-budget/budget-story-1/story-fn84fgcm-1226350235644

I think this is the strongest budget Labor have had in my lifetime. It brings us back to surplus, which is a good thing since our economy is among the strongest among developed nations. The tax free threshold and increased welfare payments really assist the poor, which given the global climate towards wealth disparity at the moment is a good move politically.

I think more important than who benefits from the budget is who loses. With cuts to bring us back to a surplus there was always going to be those that lose out. I think targeting the rich is clearly the right thing to do given the current situation.

The one main criticism I have would be cutting back the age for parenting support. I do think it is fair to cut it back from 16, but I think 8 is too young. An 8 yr old is still a bit too young. A single parent without much support around them is going to struggle looking for work/working while dealing with an 8 year old.

Also, hurray for the tax on golden handshakes, about fucking time. Also great is the crackdown on "alternative" medicine being subsidized, no more cheap aromatherapy or homeopathy for the nut cases.

So Australians, anything you guys like or don't like about the budget. For you non-Australians, HAHAHAHAHAH we are better than you, suck on our surplus bitches.

man you beat me, i guess i will remove mine

Getting a surplus isn't in of itself the right thing to do. Unfortunately the Liberal party made such a fuss about the idea (when it was the right thing to do) that an Australian government always has to keep a surplus.

Now, a surplus at the moment is very important in case various other countries fuck their economies up, Australia needs the resources if they don't want to be dragged down. But it wouldn't be inappropriate to put the nation in deficit to ride that out, and recover once things are going better.

I quite like a lot of the alternative medicines stuff getting cut, but I hope there isn't something actually useful that's been lumped in with the dangerous cranks, which is always a worry...teh medical establishment can be a tad reactionary at times.

pyrate:
So Australians, anything you guys like or don't like about the budget. For you non-Australians, HAHAHAHAHAH we are better than you, suck on our surplus bitches.

Well, the GFC didn't really hit Australia, and we had the advantage of being in a resource boom. Though, wanting some of the mining industries record profits cost the government it's last PM.

On the other hand, yeah, "Nyer!" to everyone else, our government isn't actively trying to fuck the majority of the nation over.

Tony Abbott's already complaining it's all smoke and mirrors. Hypocrite.

Merkavar:
i never care about the budget. its all ways the same stuff and never affects me.

budgets come and go but merk abides

It's how your money is spent, and how your country is run. Of course it affects you!

i never care about the budget. its all ways the same stuff and never affects me.

Dryk:
Tony Abbott's already complaining it's all smoke and mirrors. Hypocrite.

Merkavar:

It's how your money is spent, and how your country is run. Of course it affects you!

well they must all spend it the same way and run the country the same way too cause nothing ever changes.

the governments are all to mainstream. its not really left or right politics its slightly off center to the left or right. so it doesnt matter what they do cause they are all so similiar.

plus what ever one budget creates it will be destroyed in the next.

the only things that come to mind that have affect my life in any noticeable way were the introduction of hecs, GST and the increase to the low income tax tax offset. 2 out of those 3 happened 10-30 years ago.

sure i agree that the budget affects my life but for me its only a small change.

basically its all just so bleh to be specific :)

Merkavar:

well they must all spend it the same way and run the country the same way too cause nothing ever changes.

the governments are all to mainstream. its not really left or right politics its slightly off center to the left or right. so it doesnt matter what they do cause they are all so similiar.

plus what ever one budget creates it will be destroyed in the next.

the only things that come to mind that have affect my life in any noticeable way were the introduction of hecs, GST and the increase to the low income tax tax offset. 2 out of those 3 happened 10-30 years ago.

sure i agree that the budget affects my life but for me its only a small change.

basically its all just so bleh to be specific :)[/quote]

I think that's a very blaise attitude. There might be little ideological difference between the two parties, but any government in power has an opportunity to make the odd terrible mistake and fuck everything up.

The absolute best about this budget is the fact that it it the last one Labour will get to control for a long, long time.

Admittedly, I think there have been some good cuts to useless allowances. Paying Living Away From Home allowance to people here on a working holiday is incredibly stupid.

However, 5.5 billion taking out of defence spending?!? We're already severely underfunded when it comes to defence. This is simply going to mean our diggers continue to be issued kit that the rest of the world left behind in Vietnam.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts Julia. The only prime minister NEVER to get voted in.

Fatboy_41:
The absolute best about this budget is the fact that it it the last one Labour will get to control for a long, long time.

Admittedly, I think there have been some good cuts to useless allowances. Paying Living Away From Home allowance to people here on a working holiday is incredibly stupid.

However, 5.5 billion taking out of defence spending?!? We're already severely underfunded when it comes to defence. This is simply going to mean our diggers continue to be issued kit that the rest of the world left behind in Vietnam.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts Julia. The only prime minister NEVER to get voted in.

The $5.5 Billion out of Defense is a bit misleading, as is some of the other cuts. What Labor have done is rather than make straight up cuts is they have delayed spending to spread it out over a longer period of time.

In regards to Defense, a considerable portion of the cut is deferring the purchase of a dozen F-35s and cancelling an order for artillery pieces. In the end only around 1000 civilian personnel are losing jobs. There are no cuts that will effect current deployments.

It is a very smart budget from Labor. Extra money for the consumer classes helps offset the cuts that are being made. Delaying spending also softens the economic impact of cuts. Is it a perfect, no, but it is a responsible budget.

Also, don't get the wrong idea, I am not a Labor supporter. I have not voted for Labor before and I still probably won't as I vote at a local level because the parties are so similar. I vote Liberal because my MP is a senior Liberal member so he holds a lot more clout than a newbie Labor MP would. I just think that you have to give credit where credit is due and the budget is pretty sensible.

pyrate:
In regards to Defense, a considerable portion of the cut is deferring the purchase of a dozen F-35s and cancelling an order for artillery pieces. In the end only around 1000 civilian personnel are losing jobs. There are no cuts that will effect current deployments.

While they may not affect current deployments, what about future deployments?

Deferring the dozen fighters seems a lot like they're simply trying to say "Hey, we'll put this off for a couple of years, look good now and the worry about it later."

As for the Artillery, that's a little closer to heart. I am a gun tractor driver in the Reserves. Without going in to details, the Self Propelled Artillery project would have increased our capabilities exponentially. Don't get me wrong, towed arty is still great and the M777s that we have recently bought are a major improvement to the older M198. However, it is still a case of acquiring kit that others have been using for a long time.

Yes, I am biased about that point. I just wanted to get behind the wheel of those things. :D

And yes, definitely credit where credit is due. Labour have managed to scrap a little of the egg off their faces, but band-aids only hide the wounds.

Sadly the budgets labour provide never affect me all that much in a posiitive way. Being above most of the rebate thresholds and the budgets benefits, I feel kind of left out, but that's life, just got to work harder. On a side note, I really don't think this budget can even bring back some labour former voters. They dug themselves into a hole here and no matter how good the budget is, I doubt people with believe what ever labour says. Ah well, both sides seem equally inept, and I don't particularly like either leader, so the budget hasn't really done anything for me in that regard.

Yeah it's pretty good. Not too much for me to complain about that I'm aware of.

I'll agree with you that the age of 8 seems a bit low, maybe twelve or fourteen would be better.

Fatboy_41:
Deferring the dozen fighters seems a lot like they're simply trying to say "Hey, we'll put this off for a couple of years, look good now and the worry about it later."

It should be remembered that the F-35 has run into massive problems and cutbacks in the US as well.

There are predictions that the project will end in disaster as it is, and that's on top of concerns about it's actual effectiveness.

The ADF did get themselves a bunch of Superhornets which are around and well regarded in the meantime.

I'm not necessarily surprised at how many cuts were made, I'm mostly surprised about how fast the budget is getting back into a surplus. If I recall correctly, during the GFC there was a lot of outrage at how much the Labour Government was spending, using all of our excess money in the coffers for the first stimulus package and then going into a deficit with the second stimulus package plus the supposed massive cost of the NBN. Now all of a sudden after only a few years we are going to be 1.5B in surplus again?

The biggest thing I love about the budget is the increase in the tax-free threshold, tripling from $6,000 to $18,200. Although, this comes to off-set the Carbon Tax, which I'm against strongly. Julia said plainly that there would not be a Carbon Tax and then she goes and recreates a shittier version of Rudd's Emissions Trading Scheme. But that's a different story..

No matter what Labour does to the budget; I know I could do it better.
And penalizing small businesses is never a recipe for success.

In all seriousness though? Why bother with all this mining tax business when it's perfectly legal for the Federal government to seize 51% shares in every mining company in the country with just one vote of the parliament.

Looks alright. They're cutting parenting payments when the youngest child turns 8, but then they get newstart allowance (meaning they have to study or look for work, which isn't too harsh as their kids should be at school during the day.)

Fatboy_41:

Well, except for the fact that in Australia people don't actually vote for PMs, she was head of the ALP at the 2010 federal election, and she's not the first person to become PM of Australia not as the result of an election.

Aussie502:
Although, this comes to off-set the Carbon Tax, which I'm against strongly. Julia said plainly that there would not be a Carbon Tax and then she goes and recreates a shittier version of Rudd's Emissions Trading Scheme. But that's a different story..

Was it not the case that she said there wouldn't be a Carbon Tax under a Labor government, because nobody expected them to end up having to form a coalition with the greens?

thaluikhain:

Aussie502:
Although, this comes to off-set the Carbon Tax, which I'm against strongly. Julia said plainly that there would not be a Carbon Tax and then she goes and recreates a shittier version of Rudd's Emissions Trading Scheme. But that's a different story..

Was it not the case that she said there wouldn't be a Carbon Tax under a Labor government, because nobody expected them to end up having to form a coalition with the greens?

If it was the greens who influenced this decision (which is quite logical now that I think about it), it shows how easily a small party or independent can hold the government to ransom and make them backtrack on previous decisions. It honestly feels like the greens are in government here more so than Labour. It's also why I hate independents, yet we can't exactly ban them. However, idiots like Bob Katter and Steve Fielding get elected all the time and the big parties have to listen to their every demand just to get elected or pass laws.

Aussie502:

thaluikhain:

Aussie502:

If it was the greens who influenced this decision (which is quite logical now that I think about it), it shows how easily a small party or independent can hold the government to ransom and make them backtrack on previous decisions. It honestly feels like the greens are in government here more so than Labour. It's also why I hate independents, yet we can't exactly ban them. However, idiots like Bob Katter and Steve Fielding get elected all the time and the big parties have to listen to their every demand just to get elected or pass laws.

Well, doesn't help that it was an unprecedentedly close election, but yeah.

On the other hand, there's plenty of things that I personally happen to agree with the Greens on, that they could be using their new found power to do something about and seem to ignoring.

Fatboy_41:

Yes, I am biased about that point. I just wanted to get behind the wheel of those things. :D

Eh, it's not that great. In some ways, I wish I was with a towed unit instead of self-propelled. Don't have to worry about throwing tracks, a hell of a lot less maintenance, shit doesn't break as often. Granted, self-propelled require much less set-up time and its easier to haul rounds around. It's a trade off I guess.

pyrate:
snip

Hey for your budget, can you guys send some money to us Americans, pretty please? We really could use to free money with no strings attached to it right now. :/
Thanks!

Love,
Cousin America

Helmholtz Watson:

pyrate:
snip

Hey for your budget, can you guys send some money to us Americans, pretty please? We really could use to free money with no strings attached to it right now. :/
Thanks!

Love,
Cousin America

Oh no, we're not falling for that again. We still haven't forgotten the time we lent you our prized racing horse and it ended up getting poisoned and dying. Some wounds never heal.

From
Cousin Australia.

Shaoken:

Helmholtz Watson:

pyrate:
snip

Thanks!

Love,
Cousin America

Oh no, we're not falling for that again. We still haven't forgotten the time we lent you our prized racing horse and it ended up getting poisoned and dying. Some wounds never heal.

From
Cousin Australia.

Don't forget Zahra Baker.

Shaoken:

Helmholtz Watson:

pyrate:
snip

Thanks!

Love,
Cousin America

From
Cousin Australia.

Loving the Bomb,

Cousin America

P.S. Are you REALLY sure you don't want to lend us the money? We won't be able to help if bombs start falling from the sky...

Not G. Ivingname:

Shaoken:

Helmholtz Watson:
Thanks!

Love,
Cousin America

From
Cousin Australia.

Loving the Bomb,

Cousin America

P.S. Are you REALLY sure you don't want to lend us the money? We won't be able to help if bombs start falling from the sky...

Dear Cousin America

If bombs fell from the sky, then who would be your port in the Pacific? New Zealand? Ha! Hope you like being unumbered by sheep.

Love
Cousin Australia

P.S Besides, do you really want to nuke us and risk getting giant versions of all of our wildlife?

Shaoken:

Not G. Ivingname:

Shaoken:

From
Cousin Australia.

Loving the Bomb,

Cousin America

Dear Cousin America

If bombs fell from the sky, then who would be your port in the Pacific? New Zealand? Ha! Hope you like being unumbered by sheep.

Love
Cousin Australia

P.S Besides, do you really want to nuke us and risk getting giant versions of all of our wildlife?

Dear Cousin Australia,

Loving blowing you up,

American

P.S. If we ever nuked you (which won't, since you will give us your money) we will just use more nukes to destroy the giant animals!

What could possible go wrong?

Not G. Ivingname:
P.S. If we ever nuked you (which won't, since you will give us your money)

As an aside, IIRC, the US did conduct nuclear weapons tests in Australia. Presumably they misplaced their own deserts.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked